PDA

View Full Version : Phils decline options on Oswalt and Lidge

Sean_CaseyRules
10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7145048/roy-oswalt-brad-lidge-2012-options-declined-philadelphia-phillies

Oswalt gets a $2 million buyout instead of $16 million next season. Lidge receives a $1.5 million buyout instead of $12.5 million next year.

Redleg
10-24-2011, 11:21 PM
The reds should consider trying to sign him for something like two years 16 million. He is not an ace anymore but is still a #2 if he could stay healthy. He did have a 3.69era last year.

The DARK
10-25-2011, 12:35 AM
He's a pretty big question mark, but certainly capable of putting up good numbers, and not yet the veteran liability that some teams might see him as. The problem is that Cueto and Leake are our only two moderately reliable starting pitchers and the rest are all projects, many of which are coming off very poor seasons (Arroyo, Volquez, Wood in particular). Should any team with a rotation that has as much uncertainty as ours be spending on more uncertainty, especially when we have a farm full of blocked position players? I dunno.

Krawhitham
10-25-2011, 01:30 AM
I would take Lidge over Coco. Two years younger and throws harder

mroby85
10-25-2011, 02:33 AM
Wasn't Cincinnati on the list of places Oswalt reportedly didn't want to be traded to? I could be wrong, but I was thinking I remembered hearing that. If he didn't want to come in a Trade, he certainly wouldn't come as a free agent. I definitely don't want Brad Lidge.

will5979
10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Closers are overrated and overpaid, no Brad Lidge or Coco Cordero thank you, I don't play by the "Baseball For Idiots" guidebook, we have someone in the bullpen or in the minors that can get the last 3 guys out, find him, use him, and save the money to get us an ace, a leadoff hitter, and save some of the money to resign Votto.

nux fan
10-25-2011, 02:30 PM
exactly, that is what the cards do and the braves, paying for a closer is idiotic and typical reds manuever

Old NDN
10-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Wasn't Cincinnati on the list of places Oswalt reportedly didn't want to be traded to? I could be wrong, but I was thinking I remembered hearing that. If he didn't want to come in a Trade, he certainly wouldn't come as a free agent. I definitely don't want Brad Lidge.

I remember it that way also. Wouldn't surprise me to see Oswalt with the Cards next year. That was one of his preferred destinations, I think, when all the trade rumors began last year.

Old NDN
10-25-2011, 05:15 PM
exactly, that is what the cards do and the braves, paying for a closer is idiotic and typical reds manuever

I agree, but other than Chapman, the Reds haven't revealed many of those mid to upper 90s arms that seems to be popping up on a lot of rosters.

George Foster
10-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Oswalt back is always hurt or hurting. If he was the "real deal" the Phillies would have picked up his option...they are flush with cash. The Phillies cutting him lose is a huge red flag.

R_Webb18
10-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Oswalt back is always hurt or hurting. If he was the "real deal" the Phillies would have picked up his option...they are flush with cash. The Phillies cutting him lose is a huge red flag.

or they just want anthor hitter since they can already pitch. but still if im gonna get a high priced guy id prefer him to be younger.

RiverRat13
10-26-2011, 10:29 AM
I remember it that way also. Wouldn't surprise me to see Oswalt with the Cards next year. That was one of his preferred destinations, I think, when all the trade rumors began last year.

Yep. We know how this plays out. Oswalt signs with Cards. Reds fans talk themselves into believing that he is hurt/declining/done. Then Oswalt posts a season in St. Louis that mirrors his prime in Houston.

bounty37h
10-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Yep. We know how this plays out. Oswalt signs with Cards. Reds fans talk themselves into believing that he is hurt/declining/done. Then Oswalt posts a season in St. Louis that mirrors his prime in Houston.

Yup, but if the Reds did sign him it would go opposite way; pitch 3-4 games to start season and hurt his back, miss next 5-6 starts, come back and stink up for 3 games before we DL him, etc etc....