PDA

View Full Version : Theo Epstein - Blowhard

texasdave
10-25-2011, 03:19 PM
"It truly feels great to be a Cub today," said Epstein at the introductory press conference. He considers his new job "the ultimate challenge."

No, Theodore, the Pirates or some such small-market team is "the ultimate challenge". Going to a team that is going to let you spend 125 million dollars? Not so much.

bounty37h
10-25-2011, 04:02 PM
I agree with what your saying, but they have been spending loads for years now and not even smelling playoffs. But I agree, its easier to do when you get anything/one you want.

brm7675
10-25-2011, 04:52 PM
No, Theodore, the Pirates or some such small-market team is "the ultimate challenge". Going to a team that is going to let you spend 125 million dollars? Not so much.

Really? When was the Last WS appearance for the Cubs? What about a WS title? The Pirates are no where near the challenge or pressure the Cubs bring.

texasdave
10-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Really? When was the Last WS appearance for the Cubs? What about a WS title? The Pirates are no where near the challenge or pressure the Cubs bring.

The Pirates haven't had a winning season in 19 years. The Cubs have had 9 winning seasons in that time frame. The Cubs payroll is at 125 million. The Pirates at 45 million. But the Cubs are the greater challenge. Right.

scuba17
10-25-2011, 10:29 PM
I agree with what your saying, but they have been spending loads for years now and not even smelling playoffs. But I agree, its easier to do when you get anything/one you want.

Well, they have actually been to the playoffs 3 times in the past 8 years, including back to back in 2007 and 2008.

Anyone who thinks Epstein, and the guys he is bringing into the front office with him won't be a force with that team/division are mistaken. Chicago is easily the biggest market in this division and having someone with his experience might not end well for the other teams in the division.

texasdave
10-26-2011, 12:26 PM
But what about the goat? :)

malcontent
10-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Excellent point.

webbbj
10-29-2011, 06:16 PM
[] threadworthy

Reds
10-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Toronto is probably a tougher place to win. Pirates. Marlins. Baltimore. Oakland. KC. i could keep going.