PDA

View Full Version : John Lackey to under go Tommy John Surgery, Red Sox get luxury tax relief

savafan
10-25-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm sure it was all of the beer and fried chicken that injured his arm. Kinda seems like a win for Boston. The new manager won't be tempted to pitch Lackey next year, and they save some money they would have had to give to other teams.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/john-lackey-to-undergo-tommy-john-surgery.html

Red Sox righty John Lackey will undergo Tommy John surgery, new GM Ben Cherington announced today. WEEI's Rob Bradford reported Lackey's visit to Dr. Lewis Yocum earlier today, noting that the surgery causes a sixth-year option to vest for Lackey at the league minimum. This is a good thing for Boston - it reduces the average annual value of the contract from $16.5MM to $13.8MM, creating luxury tax savings.

blumj
10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
You have to protect yourself somehow if you insist on signing pitchers with pre-existing arm injuries to huge contracts.

cincrazy
10-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Too bad they can't do reconstructive surgery on his personality.

MikeThierry
10-25-2011, 09:10 PM
I know the Barry Zito and Soriano contracts are often pointed out as the worst contracts in baseball but does anyone think that the Lackey signing was just as bad as those horrible contracts?

blumj
10-25-2011, 09:52 PM
I know the Barry Zito and Soriano contracts are often pointed out as the worst contracts in baseball but does anyone think that the Lackey signing was just as bad as those horrible contracts?

It might be worse, because they obviously knew he had elbow damage and signed him anyway or they wouldn't have put that clause in his contract. OTOH, it's possible he'll be a good pitcher again after he rehabs from the TJ surgery so it remains to be seen whether that clause and the additional potentially healthy season saves it from being that horrible in the end. And I still think the Vernon Wells contract is as bad as any of them, partly because it was so heavily backloaded.