PDA

View Full Version : Tigers GM Dombrowski to succeed Selig as Baseball Commissioner?

savafan
10-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Let the speculation begin. Interesting, seemingly somewhat out of the box choice. At least he has experience dealing with players and owners.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111021/OPINION03/110210456/Tigers%E2%80%99-Dombrowski-could-be-among-commissioner-candidates

"I have never really thought about it," Dombrowski said of his potential candidacy. "When I've been in any job I've had, I haven't thought about other jobs. That's just how I work."

Dombrowski, though, has a 33-year background in baseball that includes GM jobs in both leagues. He also possesses a CEO aura — "a regal style," says Jim Bowden, formerly a general manager with the Reds and Nationals — that with his broad executive experience, could assist in making him a serious contender.

RedsManRick
10-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Was there ever an official change from where the commissioner meant to serve the interests of baseball and be an intermediary between players and owners to the current position of being the representative of the owners?

savafan
10-25-2011, 09:41 PM
I should have put "Possibly" or "Rumor" in the subject line. Hopefully the question mark will serve to not make anyone think this is a done deal.

savafan
10-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Was there ever an official change from where the commissioner meant to serve the interests of baseball and be an intermediary between players and owners to the current position of being the representative of the owners?

I don't think it was ever official, it just sort of happened when the owners ousted Fay Vincent and named Selig interim commissioner for life.

An interesting fact about Selig also:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-07-26/sports/30008559_1_bud-selig-gary-bettman-nhl-commissioner

But what caught our attention was the monstrous salary of Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig, who made $18.4 million this past year, or the same as NFL commissioner Roger Goodell ($10.9M) and Bettman combined.

How high is Selig's salary? In a sport known for bloated contracts, there currently only 12 players with contracts with average annual salaries higher than Selig's $18.4 million.

steig
10-25-2011, 09:52 PM
I always thought Selig wanted George W. to replace him. Before being president W did not hide his desire to one day be commissioner.

Chip R
10-25-2011, 10:40 PM

Who hires and pays the commissioner, the players or owners?

RedsManRick
10-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Who hires and pays the commissioner, the players or owners?

The sport itself should have an independent organization with a separate fund (paid into by the organizations), otherwise that sounds like a monopoly to me.

Chip R
10-25-2011, 11:51 PM
The sport itself should have an independent organization with a separate fund (paid into by the organizations), otherwise that sounds like a monopoly to me.

The question still stands. The commissioner works for whoever pays and hires him. In every sport it's the owners. If he can be fired by the owners then he is beholding to them. And these sports - especially MLB - are monopolies. In a perfect world the commissioner would work for the owners and the players but that isn't going to happen.

cincinnati chili
10-26-2011, 12:09 AM
I think Chip has this exactly right. The owners appoint the commissioner and they can remove him at any time. On the other hand, ironically, the commissioner can call for the punishment (or banning) of individual owners. Commissioners are necessarily politicians for this reason.

Wise commissioners, however, recognize that the players are the product. While the commissioners serve the owners, it is ultimately in the owners' best interest if the players are given the reasonable opportunity to thrive and if they are portrayed in a positive light.

RedsManRick
10-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Fair points, Chip. I would much prefer to see a system whereby there is a committee comprised of say, 4 electees of owners, 4 of players and 1 of umpires -- or something to that effect -- and that committee elects a single commissioner with a defined tenure and no re-election.

Chip R
10-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Fair points, Chip. I would much prefer to see a system whereby there is a committee comprised of say, 4 electees of owners, 4 of players and 1 of umpires -- or something to that effect -- and that committee elects a single commissioner with a defined tenure and no re-election.

I think that would be a pretty good idea.

marcshoe
10-26-2011, 09:41 AM
I think that would be a pretty good idea.

If my idea of a sort of Fans Union with representatives from every team ever gets off the ground, they want a seat at the table. ;)

IslandRed
10-26-2011, 01:33 PM

I don't know that the commissioner's job ever was to be an intermediary between the players and owners. Serve the interests of baseball, yes, but the original job description was about protecting the integrity of the game in the wake of the Black Sox scandal. If commissioners had ever made it a priority to balance needs of owners and players with respect to what's best for everyone in the game, Marvin Miller may have been unnecessary.

Rojo
10-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Serve the interests of baseball, yes, but the original job description was about protecting the integrity of the game in the wake of the Black Sox scandal.

Yes. IOW, the Commissioner's Office is like the Federal Reserve -- it serves owners as a whole by keeping individual owers in line. But serve owners, it does.

Rick's idea is great. But why would owners agree to that?

REDREAD
10-27-2011, 04:06 PM

I don't think that would work.. the owners would basically bribe the umpire rep to have a majority.. I don't really want the umps to have the power of being the swing vote.
Seems like it would create more tension between the owners and players.

The commisioners job is to keep the revenue of the sport growing. Bud has done a good job of that for the most part.

WVRed
10-30-2011, 11:22 AM
When Tagliabue retired from the NFL, the choice was obvious in Roger Goodell.

When Selig steps down, I don't know if there is an obvious choice. I would like Bob Costas, but that is a pipe dream in and of itself.

cincinnati chili
10-30-2011, 01:38 PM
When Tagliabue retired from the NFL, the choice was obvious in Roger Goodell.

When Selig steps down, I don't know if there is an obvious choice. I would like Bob Costas, but that is a pipe dream in and of itself.

I'm a huge Costas fan, but the guy has no labor relations experience and to my knowledge has zero experience running any organization at all.

Giamatti was my favorite commissioner and an outside-the-box choice (a poet), but at least the guy had experience running a major university.

RFS62
10-30-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm a huge Costas fan, but the guy has no labor relations experience and to my knowledge has zero experience running any organization at all.

Giamatti was my favorite commissioner and an outside-the-box choice (a poet), but at least the guy had experience running a major university.

Giamatti was by far my favorite commissioner ever. A true Renissance man and lover of the game.

When Selig was installed, he came straight from the owners ranks. There was then and is now no doubt for whom he works. I always had the feeling Giamatti's allegiance was to the game first.

I don't think we'll ever see that again from a commissioner. I don't think they would ever let a guy like Costas have the job. They can't count on him to put them first.

gilpdawg
10-30-2011, 04:28 PM
I agree about Giamatti, but that's probably not a popular opinion around these parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

RFS62
10-30-2011, 04:37 PM
I agree about Giamatti, but that's probably not a popular opinion around these parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Because of Pete, no doubt.

I think it broke Giamatti's heart to have to deal with the Rose situation. His son thinks it killed him.

westofyou
10-30-2011, 05:22 PM
His son thinks it killed him.

Yeah the 2 pack a day habit probably had little to do with it.

RFS62
10-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah the 2 pack a day habit probably had little to do with it.

Yep. Always did seem like sour grapes to me, but he did put it out there.

westofyou
10-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Yep. Always did seem like sour grapes to me, but he did put it out there.

Yeah, he was pressed by that, but if you have read Lords of the Realm you see a consistent portrayal of a man who took little care of his body and worked tirelessly trying to heard butterflies who were masked as baseball owners.

The games owners don't want to be ruled over by another man, they want a "partner" and that's Bud and was Happy, and Frick and Bowie and those who weren't Vincent, Eckerd, Ueberroth don't last long.

Only Landis did, and it's because he had a lifetime contract.

cincinnati chili
10-30-2011, 07:19 PM
The games owners don't want to be ruled over by another man, they want a "partner" and that's Bud and was Happy, and Frick and Bowie and those who weren't Vincent, Eckerd, Ueberroth don't last long.

Only Landis did, and it's because he had a lifetime contract.

I think it's possible for a commissioner to be loyal to the owners but still have a lot more charisma in promoting the game than Bud has. For a long time, Stern had it in the NBA, but I sense he's losing his grip.

westofyou
10-30-2011, 07:35 PM
I think it's possible for a commissioner to be loyal to the owners but still have a lot more charisma in promoting the game than Bud has. For a long time, Stern had it in the NBA, but I sense he's losing his grip.

Bud is a cardboard cutout he couldn't promote safe sex to a convent