PDA

View Full Version : Seven year old boy "fights" to join girl scouts...

jojo
10-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Here is the story:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/10/25/dnt-boy-wants-to-be-a-girl-scout.kusa

This story raises a host of issues. But really can a 7 year old truly make these kinds of choices/decisions?

redsfandan
10-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Here is the story:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/10/25/dnt-boy-wants-to-be-a-girl-scout.kusa

This story raises a host of issues. But really can a 7 year old truly make these kinds of choices/decisions?

I remember years ago keeping a girlfriend company while she was babysitting and I couldn't help noticing that the young boy she was babysitting was 'different'. Seeing this story makes me think of that kid. I doubt there's many parents that would push a kid to want this. The kid's different. Not much ya can do except accept it.

Joseph
10-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Should there be a 3rd organization that allows boys and girls to join?

Yachtzee
10-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I would probably sit my kid down and tell him that, though there's nothing wrong with having those kinds of interests, sometimes little girls that age want to do stuff without boys hanging around. You may want to join them, but you have to think about their feelings and whether they want you. It's the same way with slumber parties.

Yachtzee
10-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Should there be a 3rd organization that allows boys and girls to join?

Indian guides, maybe?

westofyou
10-26-2011, 09:59 PM
http://sunflowergirlsusa.tripod.com/peter1.jpg

Redsfan320
10-27-2011, 10:15 AM
MODS: Please move to P&R forum.

No, he can not join girl scouts. He is not a girl. He is a boy. Period.

Chip R
10-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Indian guides, maybe?

Pawnee Goddesses?

dougdirt
10-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Pawnee Goddesses?

:lol: :thumbup:

GAC
10-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Other than the upper level Venturing program, girls aren't allowed in the Boy Scouts right?

I get the impression the Mom is pushing this far more then this 7 yr old. And I feel sorry for this child now because of the media scrutiny (exposure). IMO, that's going to put a lot of undeserved pressure on this child.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/girl-scouts-waffle-transgender-bobby-montaya-join/story?id=14825506

Until now, Bobby has dressed as a boy in school, but he wore a dress to school one day and was teased, said Archuleta. Since the confrontation with the Girl Scouts, Bobby has identified and dressed as a girl in public.

"He dresses like a girl, and you can't tell he is a girl?" said his mother.... But no one would know he's a boy unless they pulled his pants down."

I'd say that's a biggy right there Mom. So dressing up as the opposite sex is the main qualifying condition? What do the other girls in the GS, as well as their parents, feel about this? Or does it matter?

Razor Shines
10-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Oh man, what a bummer. I thought they were going to let him in if the boy fought a troop of girl scouts. Misleading title, booooo!

Mario-Rijo
11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I remember years ago keeping a girlfriend company while she was babysitting and I couldn't help noticing that the young boy she was babysitting was 'different'. Seeing this story makes me think of that kid. I doubt there's many parents that would push a kid to want this. The kid's different. Not much ya can do except accept it.

Problem is one doesn't know if they get it honestly. I know of one young boy who's mother raised him from birth as if he were a girl. She wanted a baby girl and so she forced this foolishness on him. He is not homosexual at this point (in high school now) according to him but he acts as girly as any girl I have ever seen including been a constant as a cheerleader since an early age. Sometimes that is all one knows. I actually had a brief relationship with a girl who felt it was ok to buy girl toys for her only child, a son. Needless to say I wasn't interested in continuing that situation.

Yachtzee
11-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Oh man, what a bummer. I thought they were going to let him in if the boy fought a troop of girl scouts. Misleading title, booooo!

First rule of Girl Scout Fight Club is "don't talk about Girl Scout Fight Club."

Slyder
11-01-2011, 08:24 PM
I agree with Hank Hill's thoughts on this.

That Boy Ain't Right - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5JCp2Hd5L8)

Yachtzee
11-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Other than the upper level Venturing program, girls aren't allowed in the Boy Scouts right?

I get the impression the Mom is pushing this far more then this 7 yr old. And I feel sorry for this child now because of the media scrutiny (exposure). IMO, that's going to put a lot of undeserved pressure on this child.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/girl-scouts-waffle-transgender-bobby-montaya-join/story?id=14825506

I'd say that's a biggy right there Mom. So dressing up as the opposite sex is the main qualifying condition? What do the other girls in the GS, as well as their parents, feel about this? Or does it matter?

I don't think it matters when its in the home or with friends and family. However, when it comes to places like school or organizations geared toward gender-specific activities, I feel this kind of thing is inappropriate for that age. I agree with the mom that the Girl Scout leader was insensitive. However, when it comes to school, especially elementary school, it just isn't the forum for dressing or behaving in a way that distracts other children from their education. Same goes for Girl Scouts. The kid may not have a problem with going to camp with a bunch of girls. But I'm sure there are some girls who just won't be comfortable with a boy in the tent or cabin regardless of the gender he identifies with.

If it were my son, I would just tell him its fine for him to dress how he wants at home, and when he gets to high school, we'll look for one that would best suit him. But when it comes to school or private organizations, its their rules and you have to live with it.

Larry Schuler
11-02-2011, 06:21 AM
My wife is a teacher's assistant for kindergarten grade and a few years back there was one boy who dressed like a female animal character from a kid's show during Halloween/costume day. All of the kids thought the costume was nice but none of them paid too much mind either way or cared about it more than any other costume. However, one of the other parents took great offense to it and tried to file a complaint with the principal, saying the costume 'encouraged boys to grow up wanting to be girls'. The principal, who was a very frank, no-nonsense woman, asked the parent if she was worried her son's truck costume would encourage boys to become an automobile when they grow up. That ended the conversation and nothing else came of it. I had a hoot hearing about the story back then and it makes me laugh every time I recall it. :laugh:

Sea Ray
11-02-2011, 03:37 PM
If it were my son, I would just tell him its fine for him to dress how he wants at home, and when he gets to high school, we'll look for one that would best suit him. But when it comes to school or private organizations, its their rules and you have to live with it.

I would tell him he can dress neutral but he's not going to wear female stuff as long as he's under my roof

jojo
11-02-2011, 05:26 PM
If he were my son, there is one thing that would be certain. I'd make sure that he knows to his core that he is loved.

Jpup
11-23-2011, 01:59 AM
If he were my son, I would tell him that he is a boy and should act like it. No way are you born that way. I blame the parents.

Razor Shines
11-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Seems like a somewhat appropriate place for this.

Boys Swimming on Girls Teams Find Success, Then Draw Jeers

During his first-period broadcast Monday, the Norwood High athletic director Brian McDonough congratulated Will Higgins for breaking the meet record in the 50-yard freestyle the previous day at the Massachusetts South Division fall swimming and diving championships.

McDonough chose not to mention that it was a girls swimming championship.

Higgins, a senior, and Rodriguez, a sophomore, are among roughly two dozen boys competing on girls teams in Massachusetts because their schools do not have boys swimming programs. They are able to do so because of the open access amendment to the state constitution, which was voted into law in the 1970s and mandates that boys and girls must be afforded equal access to athletics.

:laugh:

Jay Mohr yesterday asked which school in MA is going to be the first to drop boys basketball and take the boys varsity players and put them on the girls basketball team and start destroying teams.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/sports/boys-swimming-on-girls-teams-find-success-then-draw-ire.html

texasdave
12-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Bump.

This didn't end too well. The troop disbanded.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/21/girl-scout-troops-transgender-child-disband_n_1163971.html?ref=gay-voices

RonDunn95
12-22-2011, 12:01 AM
It is also their right to decide that way.

Larry Schuler
12-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Note that the three leaders and their troops that disbanded are NOT the troop that the boy joined. They are leaders from a different state (Louisiana) who are boycotting the Colorado Girl Scouts' public statement that they accept the boy and all children who identify and live as girls. The three leaders are also using the situation as an opportunity to join a Christian version of the Girl Scouts as an alternative organization for the local community's girls.

Sometimes as Christians we have to search out of state to find our own personal extracurricular persecutions to be outraged over.

texasdave
12-22-2011, 01:36 AM
Note that the three leaders and their troops that disbanded are NOT the troop that the boy joined. They are leaders from a different state (Louisiana) who are boycotting the Colorado Girl Scouts' public statement that they accept the boy and all children who identify and live as girls. The three leaders are also using the situation as an opportunity to join a Christian version of the Girl Scouts as an alternative organization for the local community's girls.

Sometimes as Christians we have to search out of state to find our own personal extracurricular persecutions to be outraged over.

I guess I have to skim a little slower next time.

Larry Schuler
12-22-2011, 01:52 AM
I had to read it again after I read a user comment on the article that more clearly pointed it out. The article itself skims over the state difference pretty casually and entirely leaves out the actual Colorado troop's reaction and experience since the decision.

Chrietic
12-22-2011, 04:38 PM
I would probably sit my kid down and tell him that, though there's nothing wrong with having those kinds of interests, sometimes little girls that age want to do stuff without boys hanging around. You may want to join them, but you have to think about their feelings and whether they want you. It's the same way with slumber parties.

agree