PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Pages : [1] 2

LoganBuck
10-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Thought I would start a new thread as the other thread is reaching the magical plateau, where it will scurry off to the archives.

I like the throwback uniform. It keeps things fresh, and it has to excite the players.

GAC
10-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Fickle is an idiot!

Roy Tucker
10-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Jeez, this has been the week for crazy games!

LoganBuck
10-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Fun game to watch, lots of issues with OSU, they are held together with duct tape and chewing gum, but it kind of works.

Captain Hook
10-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Fun game to watch, lots of issues with OSU, they are held together with duct tape and chewing gum, but it kind of works.

I thought they looked pretty solid against a pretty good team.I agree that it was a fun game to watch.

LoganBuck
10-30-2011, 12:40 AM
I thought they looked pretty solid against a pretty good team.I agree that it was a fun game to watch.

Oh, no doubt, I just see problems that we aren't used to seeing at Ohio State.

1. The secondary play has been bad. Especially late in games.
2. The pass rush is just adequate.
3. Tackling is at a level below what tOSU has exhibited in many years.

gap

4. The offense is what can be expected, a young group with growing pains, but they are growing. Braxton Miller may just be the stud, we thought he was going to be.

cincrazy
10-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Oh, no doubt, I just see problems that we aren't used to seeing at Ohio State.

1. The secondary play has been bad. Especially late in games.
2. The pass rush is just adequate.
3. Tackling is at a level below what tOSU has exhibited in many years.

gap

4. The offense is what can be expected, a young group with growing pains, but they are growing. Braxton Miller may just be the stud, we thought he was going to be.

I think our corners are ok. I think our safeties have been a train wreck. But that's just me, and it may be a rather silly observation. The pass rush minus Simon is a problem indeed, but it's a very young defensive line rotation, so I'd give it some time. Hankins in the middle isn't great at rushing the passer, but he was a huge difference against Wisconsin this time around stopping the run. And the poor tackling comes with youth. We saw many of these same problems in 2004, and by 2005 and 2006, we were watching one of the greatest teams in years lace up at OSU.

BuckeyeRed27
10-30-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm just happy that the team continues to get better and show progress. They would probably have lost this game two or three games ago, but found a way tonight. The amount of youth on this team is mind blowing right now. True freshman Braxton Miller completing the game winning TD to true freshmen Evan Spencer. True freshman Ryan Shazier blocking that punt and being scooped up by true freshmen Doran Grant. True freshmen Bradley Roby was solid at CB all night and did a good job in run support.

Honestly it shouldn't have been as close as it was. I think OSU largely outplayed Wisconsin and the better team won.

GAC
10-30-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm just happy that the team continues to get better and show progress. They would probably have lost this game two or three games ago, but found a way tonight. The amount of youth on this team is mind blowing right now. True freshman Braxton Miller completing the game winning TD to true freshmen Evan Spencer. True freshman Ryan Shazier blocking that punt and being scooped up by true freshmen Doran Grant. True freshmen Bradley Roby was solid at CB all night and did a good job in run support.

Honestly it shouldn't have been as close as it was. I think OSU largely outplayed Wisconsin and the better team won.

I agree. We have a lot of young (solid) talent on this team, and Miller is getting better each week.

You want to say "what if?" in those two losses to MSU and Nebraska, whom we played tough; but one just has to point to the youth and experience, even though in both those games Fickle's decision-making didn't impress me one bit.

The Badgers were badly outplayed in this game. And the reason I called Fickle an idiot earlier (my emotions were high) is because, IMO, he almost blew this game late by going to a prevent defense. I HATE that scheme. Braxton bailed his butt out or else it would have been another late game loss.

And a HUGE call-out to #44 Zach Boren who does an excellent job as a blocking FB in the running game. :thumbup:

We have Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, and Michigan left. I think we can run the table and finish 9-3. Penn State is barely squeaking by mediocre-to-bad teams, and their remaining schedule is a tough one (Illinois, Nebraska, OSU, and Wisconsin). The Michigan game, IMO, will be a test, but I think we'll win it because of our defense.

cincrazy
10-30-2011, 12:29 PM

Devin Smith actually had the game-winner last night, but he's a true freshman also :).

This is shaping up to be very similar to 2004. That team lost its FIRST THREE Big 10 games, and the sky was falling, fire Tressel, yada yada yada. Then they gelled and took off like a rocket.

I'll tell you this.... if the Buckeyes win out, find a way to claim the Big 10 title, and Fickell gets rehired, he can thank this game. We may be looking at this game many years down the road saying "This is where the Fickell era began." Long shot? Maybe. But I've gotta be honest, I could see it happening.

BuckeyeRed27
10-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Devin Smith actually had the game-winner last night, but he's a true freshman also :).

This is shaping up to be very similar to 2004. That team lost its FIRST THREE Big 10 games, and the sky was falling, fire Tressel, yada yada yada. Then they gelled and took off like a rocket.

I'll tell you this.... if the Buckeyes win out, find a way to claim the Big 10 title, and Fickell gets rehired, he can thank this game. We may be looking at this game many years down the road saying "This is where the Fickell era began." Long shot? Maybe. But I've gotta be honest, I could see it happening.

You're right, my bad. I had a high level of euphoria last night :)

Fickell still has a ways to go as a coach, but he too is showing signs that he is learning. I think the team made some good adjustments last night and even though I didn't love the play calling and obviously the defensive let down in the 4th quarter it will still better than some other games.

I really hope that the Bucks can win the next three and Nebraska or Wisconsin (or both) take out Penn State. It has been too long since the OSU/Michigan game mattered and this years game could very likely be for the winner taking a spot in the BTCG. That would be awesome.

goreds2
10-30-2011, 09:50 PM
The game is now being replayed on ESPNU.

traderumor
10-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I really do not want Fickell back, because that probably means that Jim Bollman is still around. If his QB can't handle a screen pass, a slant, a few routes over the middle, or the option, then play someone else. A coach who doesn't have the confidence in his own ability to let his players make plays instead of trying to keep from making mistakes needs to find another line of work. Running a variety of 4 plays a game is insanity inducing.

MWM
10-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Yeah, it's obvious Fickell is getting better and it's a lot to expect a guy with no head coaching experience to come in and take over in a situation like he did. I just fear that the team showing improvement will mean Fickell becomes the permanent head coach. He's just not ready for that. I think it would be a tough sell to recruits and I'd be more worried about that than the actual coaching on saturdays.

*BaseClogger*
10-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Somebody mentioned the play of the safeties this season and I just gotta say it: CJ Barnett is a stud...

LoganBuck
10-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Somebody mentioned the play of the safeties this season and I just gotta say it: CJ Barnett is a stud...

In run support he has been. On pass pro, not so much. Just saying that they need to get better.

bucksfan2
10-31-2011, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Fickell brought back and here is why.

This team has improved as the season has gone along. They now have a realistic chance to go to the Big 10 title game, heck you could even say they may be the favorites to do so. The team is extremely young and a QB who was about as raw as they come. If you take out the Miami debacle they have been in position to win every other game this season.

The other part of me that wouldn't mind is the quality of coaches out there. Lets say Urban Meyer doesn't want to return to coaching right now. So now you have your up and coming coaches, retreads, and lateral move coaches. With the exception of Meyer I don't see any other home run coaches out there. There isn't a Saben or even Patrino out there who would take the job. I don't really want to go the ex-has been NFL coach either. A guy like Pelini would interest me but I don't know if he leaves Nebraska. And I hope and pray that OSU doesn't pull off a Rich Rod hire that sets the program back 5+ years. That brings me to the up and coming coaches, and you can make the argument that Fickell would fit into that group. Do you want a coach with on the job training at San Diego State? or a coach whose on the job training at OSU? If Fickell can pull of a Big 10 title game appearance I think you can say it would have been one of the best non championship coaching jobs in OSU history.

I do think that Bollman is a problem but if you hire Fickell you would have to give him the power to hire/fire coaches at his disposal.

jimbo
10-31-2011, 12:14 PM
The other part of me that wouldn't mind is the quality of coaches out there. Lets say Urban Meyer doesn't want to return to coaching right now. So now you have your up and coming coaches, retreads, and lateral move coaches. With the exception of Meyer I don't see any other home run coaches out there. There isn't a Saben or even Patrino out there who would take the job. I don't really want to go the ex-has been NFL coach either. A guy like Pelini would interest me but I don't know if he leaves Nebraska. And I hope and pray that OSU doesn't pull off a Rich Rod hire that sets the program back 5+ years. That brings me to the up and coming coaches, and you can make the argument that Fickell would fit into that group. Do you want a coach with on the job training at San Diego State? or a coach whose on the job training at OSU? If Fickell can pull of a Big 10 title game appearance I think you can say it would have been one of the best non championship coaching jobs in OSU history.

If I remember correctly, I don't remember Tressel being a highly sought out coach and that turned out pretty good, and he came from a Division I-AA school.

I agree with what a few others here have said, Ohio State is not the place for a new head coach to learn on the job. One year's experience is not enough. I think Fickell has done a respectable job, but I've seen a lot things this season that have been huge downgrades from what Buckeye fans are accustomed to seeing, and I can't blame it all on youth.

bucksfan2
10-31-2011, 12:41 PM
If I remember correctly, I don't remember Tressel being a highly sought out coach and that turned out pretty good, and he came from a Division I-AA school.

I agree with what a few others here have said, Ohio State is not the place for a new head coach to learn on the job. One year's experience is not enough. I think Fickell has done a respectable job, but I've seen a lot things this season that have been huge downgrades from what Buckeye fans are accustomed to seeing, and I can't blame it all on youth.

At what point does on the job training become a resume builder?

I may be getting a little ahead of myself here, but there is a real good chance that OSU goes 3-1 or 4-0 to finish off the season. If they go 4-0 they win the division and head to the title game. Now if that happens at UC he would become one of the hottest coaching candidates in the nation.

I get the notion that you don't want a coach to get his on the job training at OSU. But I also think that one year in the pressure cooker known as OSU football is worth a heck of a lot more than a year or two in a MAC school. The thing is Fickell was considered a top coaching candidate when jobs would open up elsewhere. He may go the Mark Snyder route and become an utter failure at a program or he may just go the Bo Pelini or Mark Dantonio and build a very good program at a top tier school.

Other than his inexperience (which has shown at times) I think Fickell has done and admirable job in dealing with tattoo's, suspensions, and Bauserman's this season.

jimbo
10-31-2011, 01:12 PM
At what point does on the job training become a resume builder?

I may be getting a little ahead of myself here, but there is a real good chance that OSU goes 3-1 or 4-0 to finish off the season. If they go 4-0 they win the division and head to the title game. Now if that happens at UC he would become one of the hottest coaching candidates in the nation.

I get the notion that you don't want a coach to get his on the job training at OSU. But I also think that one year in the pressure cooker known as OSU football is worth a heck of a lot more than a year or two in a MAC school. The thing is Fickell was considered a top coaching candidate when jobs would open up elsewhere. He may go the Mark Snyder route and become an utter failure at a program or he may just go the Bo Pelini or Mark Dantonio and build a very good program at a top tier school.

Other than his inexperience (which has shown at times) I think Fickell has done and admirable job in dealing with tattoo's, suspensions, and Bauserman's this season.

Would Ohio State ever hire a coach from the outside with only one year as a head coach on his resume? I certainly don't think so. How many recruits will be turned off considering there are so many unknowns about him?

And I would have to disagree that a coach making it to the title game in the Big East would make him the hottest candidates in the country, with only one year of experience under his belt and winning with another coach's recruits.

I agee, I think he has done a very admirable job considering the circumstances he inherited, but I want a more proven commodity for one of the top football programs in the country.

BuckeyeRed27
10-31-2011, 02:25 PM
I think if Urban Meyer wants the job OSU will give it to him, no matter what Luke Fickell does the rest of the season.

If he doesn't want the job and people like Bob Stoops or Nick Saban don't want it either and Fickell gets to the BIG Championship Game, I think he has a good chance at being retained.

He hasn't completely sold me yet. He still makes mistakes that he shouldn't make like going for 1, realizing he should be going for 2 and wasting a time out. But you can see his growth from the start of the season and if can continue to be less Zookian by the end of the season I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him.

Sea Ray
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM
If Urban Meyer doesn't want it then I think it'll be Fickell if he takes them to Indianapolis in December

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2011, 02:48 PM
What's all this nonsense about Fickel not being able to recruit? I thought he was Tressel's go-to guy to seal recruits?

bucksfan2
10-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Would Ohio State ever hire a coach from the outside with only one year as a head coach on his resume? I certainly don't think so. How many recruits will be turned off considering there are so many unknowns about him?

And I would have to disagree that a coach making it to the title game in the Big East would make him the hottest candidates in the country, with only one year of experience under his belt and winning with another coach's recruits.

I agee, I think he has done a very admirable job considering the circumstances he inherited, but I want a more proven commodity for one of the top football programs in the country.

Jim Tressel was a unique situation in that he was an OSU guy who was very highly sought after as head coaching candidate, but he made it clear that he was perfectly content at YSU. He almost threw his hat into the Miami (I think) job and threw his hat into the OSU coaching job a decade ago. I don't think you will have another coach like that this time around.

Name a hot coaching candidate who built his team. Even Brain Kelly at UC did it with the majority of Dantonio's guys. It takes time, at least 3 years, to build your program the way you want it. Most hot coaches jump from job to job without staying at a program for more than a handful of years. The guys who stick around for 5+ years tend to be more hesitant to leave.

Roy Tucker
10-31-2011, 03:37 PM
I think if Urban Meyer wants the job OSU will give it to him, no matter what Luke Fickell does the rest of the season.

If he doesn't want the job and people like Bob Stoops or Nick Saban don't want it either and Fickell gets to the BIG Championship Game, I think he has a good chance at being retained.

He hasn't completely sold me yet. He still makes mistakes that he shouldn't make like going for 1, realizing he should be going for 2 and wasting a time out. But you can see his growth from the start of the season and if can continue to be less Zookian by the end of the season I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him.

Yep, that's my take too. If you were to ask me this question 4-5 weeks ago, I would have said it was a foregone conclusion that he'd never get the job. Things change though.

"Zookian" :lol: :laugh: I have never seen a more cluelss game coach.

Captain Hook
10-31-2011, 10:08 PM
If Urban Meyer doesn't want it then I think it'll be Fickell if he takes them to Indianapolis in December

I agree.Wonder what happens if they win in Indianapolis,(if they make it there I think they will)win the Rose Bowl and then have Urban Meyer come calling?

MWM
10-31-2011, 10:30 PM
If Urban Meyer comes calling, you hire him. Period! How many times in collegiate athletics have we seen this happen where an interim coach comes in and does a pretty good job in tough circumstances and is rewarded with the permanent job only to show that they weren't ready. It has happened in basketball more than football, but it has happened before. There's little that the Bucks could do the rest of this year that would make me want Fickell to be given the permanent gig unless there's no one else worthy of the job that really wants it.

Brutus
10-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Yeah, it's obvious Fickell is getting better and it's a lot to expect a guy with no head coaching experience to come in and take over in a situation like he did. I just fear that the team showing improvement will mean Fickell becomes the permanent head coach. He's just not ready for that. I think it would be a tough sell to recruits and I'd be more worried about that than the actual coaching on saturdays.

The job is Urban Meyer's if he wants it. Actually let me correct myself... the job if Urban Meyer's if he decides to take it. He wants it... but he has to decide if he wants to be back on the sidelines next season.

They've gotten the numbers, coaching budgets and all that stuff already out of the way. It's just a matter of being offered and then getting an acceptance. I don't anticipate Fickell being retained regardless of what happens the rest of the season... unless Meyer decides to stay in the booth.

Captain Hook
11-01-2011, 12:57 AM
The job is Urban Meyer's if he wants it. Actually let me correct myself... the job if Urban Meyer's if he decides to take it. He wants it... but he has to decide if he wants to be back on the sidelines next season.

They've gotten the numbers, coaching budgets and all that stuff already out of the way. It's just a matter of being offered and then getting an acceptance. I don't anticipate Fickell being retained regardless of what happens the rest of the season... unless Meyer decides to stay in the booth.

So are you saying that a deal has already been negotiated with a guy that may or may not want to coach again?If so when did this take place?I know you've been around the program and I'm sure you have a source or two but I really find this hard to believe.

Sea Ray
11-01-2011, 08:35 AM
This is unfortunate:

Ohio State has replaced Cincinnati with Central Florida on the 2012 football schedule, OSU announced this afternoon.

The game against the Bearcats has been rescheduled for an undetermined date in 2018. The teams will also meet in 2014 as scheduled. Both games will be in Columbus, as will the Central Florida game, which is scheduled for Sept. 8.
http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stories/2011/10/31/osu-cincinnati.html

Why can't they get together?

Chip R
11-01-2011, 09:12 AM
This is unfortunate:

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stories/2011/10/31/osu-cincinnati.html (http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stories/2011/10/31/osu-cincinnati.html)

Why can't they get together?

From what I understood, UC had to drop tOSU to pick up a game with TCU since they were going to be in the Big East.

BuckeyeRed27
11-01-2011, 12:47 PM
From what I understood, UC had to drop tOSU to pick up a game with TCU since they were going to be in the Big East.

Yeah this game was a victim of conference realignment. Too bad we couldn't get somebody better than UCF, since Cal isn't looking like they are going to be very good next year, but it's hard this late in the game.

Brutus
11-01-2011, 02:36 PM
So are you saying that a deal has already been negotiated with a guy that may or may not want to coach again?If so when did this take place?I know you've been around the program and I'm sure you have a source or two but I really find this hard to believe.

Meyer's been having discussions with Ohio State for a couple months. In fact, they reached out to Meyer way back in early June, though they haven't maintained constant contact until the last several weeks. He told Ohio State he wanted $5 million (give or take) and competitive budget for assistants' salaries. Ohio State, naturally, told him that would not be an issue.

Meyer has not been promised the job, nor has he committed to it if he were offered. However, it's been clear that he's their top priority and he's made it clear he's very interested in the job. The thing is: he's really itching to coach again, and his wife actually was enjoying being the 'coach's wife' more than the 'broadcaster's wife' so to speak. He's just not enjoying broadcasting as much as he was coaching. The issue is that if he gets back into coaching, he's going to want to delegate some of the tasks he ordinarily took on to his assistants, as he doesn't want to overwork himself.

I guess the best way to describe the situation is not that they have a deal in place, but the major details are mostly already ironed out if the job is offered/accepted. If the job is offered, they'll go forward figuring out the smaller details.

Sea Ray
11-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Meyer's been having discussions with Ohio State for a couple months. In fact, they reached out to Meyer way back in early June, though they haven't maintained constant contact until the last several weeks. He told Ohio State he wanted $5 million (give or take) and competitive budget for assistants' salaries. Ohio State, naturally, told him that would not be an issue.

Meyer has not been promised the job, nor has he committed to it if he were offered. However, it's been clear that he's their top priority and he's made it clear he's very interested in the job. The thing is: he's really itching to coach again, and his wife actually was enjoying being the 'coach's wife' more than the 'broadcaster's wife' so to speak. He's just not enjoying broadcasting as much as he was coaching. The issue is that if he gets back into coaching, he's going to want to delegate some of the tasks he ordinarily took on to his assistants, as he doesn't want to overwork himself.

I guess the best way to describe the situation is not that they have a deal in place, but the major details are mostly already ironed out if the job is offered/accepted. If the job is offered, they'll go forward figuring out the smaller details.

So what hangups do you foresee? Sounds like there are none to me

Brutus
11-01-2011, 03:05 PM
So what hangups do you foresee? Sounds like there are none to me

It's really just a matter if he feels up to it. The Ohio State job has been the one he's coveted ever since he got into coaching. He knows this is a once-in-a-lifetime shot to take it, more than likely. So he's heavily weighing that aspect.

Sea Ray
11-01-2011, 03:10 PM
If he ever wants to coach the Buckeyes he'd better do it now. No doubt about that

Captain Hook
11-01-2011, 03:12 PM

I guess what I find hard to believe is that Fickell could go 11-3 with a Big 10 championship,BCS bowl win and still not be considered if Meyer says he wants the job.

Brutus
11-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I guess what I find hard to believe is that Fickell could go 11-3 with a Big 10 championship,BCS bowl win and still not be considered if Meyer says he wants the job.

Why is it hard to believe though? He's an interim coach with no promise of ever becoming the full-time coach.

If you are an investor, would you invest in a company simply because the last couple quarterly profits were up? Wouldn't you look at the big picture?

That's kind of the case here. Luke Fickell, even if Ohio State won the Big Ten, is still an unknown. Ohio State doesn't know what they would get out of him long-term. One season really doesn't tell us much about Fickell, and there are still some serious reservations about his game management. We know what Urban Meyer is. He's won 82% of his games and two national titles. He took a 2-9 Bowling Green program to an 8-3 season his first year; a 5-6 Utah program to 11-2 his first year and then turned Florida into a champion his second season. Meyer is a stock that is tried and true. Fickell is a new stock with a limited track record.

Sea Ray
11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Life isn't always fair. If Urban Meyer wants the job, he gets it because his resume will trump anyone else's especially a guy like Fickell's who has just one yr on the job

Captain Hook
11-01-2011, 03:41 PM
So what happens if OSU hires Meyer and after a year he decides he really doesn't want to coach after all?I don't think he's the crown jewel that a lot of people makes him out to be despite the nice resume.You can't look at a resume only.Joe Paterno has a nice resume so do give him the job if he wants it?I really wouldn't mind having Meyer coach the Buckeyes and it's likely that he's the best man for the job.I'm just saying that if Fickell wins out you'll have that along with being younger,healthier and possibly more motivated on top of having coached at OSU and played at OSU.It seems reasonable to consider him regardless of who the other candidates are.

Sea Ray
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
So what happens if OSU hires Meyer and after a year he decides he really doesn't want to coach after all?I don't think he's the crown jewel that a lot of people makes him out to be despite the nice resume.You can't look at a resume only.Joe Paterno has a nice resume so do give him the job if he wants it?I really wouldn't mind having Meyer coach the Buckeyes and it's likely that he's the best man for the job.I'm just saying that if Fickell wins out you'll have that along with being younger,healthier and possibly more motivated on top of having coached at OSU and played at OSU.It seems reasonable to consider him regardless of who the other candidates are.

They've got to do their due diligence and make sure that doesn't happen. I don't think Fickell will win out anyway, but you do bring up an interesting hypothetical

Brutus
11-01-2011, 04:07 PM

Joe Paterno's resume isn't very good in the last 15 years. His is more of a lifetime achievement thing than what's happened recently. Paterno has no BCS wins. Meyer has four including two titles.

Here are Meyer's achievements since 2001:

104-23 (.819)
2 national titles
4 BCS victories
7-1 bowl record

Here are some of the other top coaches in that timeframe:

Pete Carroll

97-19 (.836)
2 national titles
6 BCS victories
7-2 bowl record

Mack Brown

110-24 (.821)
1 national title
3 BCS victories
6-2 bowl record

Jim Tressel

94-22 (.810)
1 national title
4 BCS victories
6-4 bowl record

Bob Stoops

106-27 (.797)
0 national titles (at least since 2001)
2 BCS victories
5-5 bowl record

Nick Saban

99-27 (.786)
1 national title
3 BCS victories
5-3 bowl record

As you can see, Meyer's resume absolutely compares to the best of the best in college football. He is a slam-dunk.

MWM
11-01-2011, 04:38 PM
The final punishment handed down by the NCAA will likely be the deciding factor. The other uncertainty is the current athletic administration and how long they'll be around. I've got to believe the AD is getting canned at some point. Will the new people have just as much enthusiasm about Meyer as the existing.

BuckeyeRed27
11-01-2011, 06:13 PM
The final punishment handed down by the NCAA will likely be the deciding factor. The other uncertainty is the current athletic administration and how long they'll be around. I've got to believe the AD is getting canned at some point. Will the new people have just as much enthusiasm about Meyer as the existing.

I think most AD's would be pretty enthused with a 82% winning percentage and 2 National Titles.

Urban Meyer isn't the perfect choice due to the health concerns, but if that is the biggest drawback I don't see how he doesn't get the job. For OSU there is certainly worse things than having Luke Fickell as a fall back (assuming he does win out).

Captain Hook
11-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Joe Paterno's resume isn't very good in the last 15 years. His is more of a lifetime achievement thing than what's happened recently. Paterno has no BCS wins. Meyer has four including two titles.

Here are Meyer's achievements since 2001:

104-23 (.819)
2 national titles
4 BCS victories
7-1 bowl record

Here are some of the other top coaches in that timeframe:

Pete Carroll

97-19 (.836)
2 national titles
6 BCS victories
7-2 bowl record

Mack Brown

110-24 (.821)
1 national title
3 BCS victories
6-2 bowl record

Jim Tressel

94-22 (.810)
1 national title
4 BCS victories
6-4 bowl record

Bob Stoops

106-27 (.797)
0 national titles (at least since 2001)
2 BCS victories
5-5 bowl record

Nick Saban

99-27 (.786)
1 national title
3 BCS victories
5-3 bowl record

As you can see, Meyer's resume absolutely compares to the best of the best in college football. He is a slam-dunk.

I wasn't disputing his resume.I think his desire to coach can be questioned though.That has to be considered.

Captain Hook
11-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I think most AD's would be pretty enthused with a 82% winning percentage and 2 National Titles.

Urban Meyer isn't the perfect choice due to the health concerns, but if that is the biggest drawback I don't see how he doesn't get the job. For OSU there is certainly worse things than having Luke Fickell as a fall back (assuming he does win out).

I agree, he must win out.Some might say that's not fair but it wouldn't be the case if they could've beat Nebraska or Michigan St. and in the Miami game the Buckeyes were outplayed by a bad team.Win two of those games and coach Fickell wouldn't be faced with the difficult task of winning out to be considered for the permanent coaching job.

OUReds
11-01-2011, 07:25 PM
I know he was thrown into a bad situation, but let's not forget that Fickell was the guy who watched Bauserman everyday in practice and thought "yep, this is the QB who gives us the best chance to win". Then, when forced to make a change, had absolutely no offensive plan to maximize what Miller could do.

There seem to be no mid-game adjustments.

Yes it's nice that the team is improving, but this is a very young team, improvement is to be expected.

Yes, beating Wisconsin is sweet and frankly I didn't think they had it in them. However, I'm not giving Fickell a pass because he might be able to squeak into the championship game in (another) year where the Big Ten is way, way down.

You just don't hand over the keys to a program like Ohio State to a work-in-progress coach.

Brutus
11-01-2011, 07:40 PM

The AD has been rendered completely and totally irrelevant in this search. He is not the one making the decisions on this position. In fact, I think Meyer would probably prefer it if Smith were moved out the door, as I believe will happen anyhow.

BuckeyeRed27
11-02-2011, 01:19 PM
I know he was thrown into a bad situation, but let's not forget that Fickell was the guy who watched Bauserman everyday in practice and thought "yep, this is the QB who gives us the best chance to win". Then, when forced to make a change, had absolutely no offensive plan to maximize what Miller could do.

There seem to be no mid-game adjustments.

Yes it's nice that the team is improving, but this is a very young team, improvement is to be expected.

Yes, beating Wisconsin is sweet and frankly I didn't think they had it in them. However, I'm not giving Fickell a pass because he might be able to squeak into the championship game in (another) year where the Big Ten is way, way down.

You just don't hand over the keys to a program like Ohio State to a work-in-progress coach.

In fairness, Braxton did not look real good early on either and Joe did have a nice game against Akron (I know it was Akron, but still). I personally think Braxton should have played just for the experience, but I don't completely fault Fickell for believing Joe gave us the best chance to win. Now after the Miami game he should never have played again and he largely hasn't except for injury relief (if you can call it that).

I'm really just playing devil's advocate, because I'm on the Urban Meyer train, but I just don't think that decision was as cut and dry as you made it out to be.

MWM
11-05-2011, 02:08 PM
If there was any question as to the current coaching staff's readiness to take over this type of program, there shouldn't be after today's game.

MWM
11-05-2011, 03:12 PM
I hate that all the premiere college football games these days are night games. Saturday night is the night we like to get out of the house and go out. I'd love to be able to watch the LSU-Alabama game tonight as it's probably the most exciting regular season game since OSU-Michigan in 2006, but I'm just not going to be able to.

Hoosier Red
11-05-2011, 03:41 PM
If there was any question as to the current coaching staff's readiness to take over this type of program, there shouldn't be after today's game.

It's really sad when people see a team beat my alma mater by 14(kneeling down at the 10 to boot), and say, "See there's no doubt this coach isn't ready."

It's even more sad that it's true.

My Hoosiers played hard today, but the talent gap was way more than 14 points.

Captain Hook
11-05-2011, 03:51 PM

It wasn't pretty today but there was a lot of games that weren't pretty when Tressel was the coach.I'm not sure what you expected to see today but I was just hopping for a win.A young team coming off a huge win had a letdown against a bad team the next week and won by 14 points.These things happen.

Playadlc
11-05-2011, 04:15 PM
It's really sad when people see a team beat my alma mater by 14(kneeling down at the 10 to boot), and say, "See there's no doubt this coach isn't ready."

It's even more sad that it's true.

My Hoosiers played hard today, but the talent gap was way more than 14 points.

Playing all the true freshmen that IU is playing (more than anyone in the country, I believe) this game being in doubt late is significant progress. Especially on the road.

Tre Roberson is a player. I'm not sure if Gunner would even beat him out.

cincrazy
11-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Jim Tressel had more than his fair share of these types of games. It's not uncommon for OSU. We played like crap, yes. But a win's a win, and this team still has a shot at winning the Big 10.

GAC
11-06-2011, 07:47 AM

The wife and I, because we work different shifts and don't get to spend as much together as we'd like, spent Saturday in Columbus eating out (J Alexanders has fantastic prime rib by the way) and doing some shopping. I figured "OK, OSU is playing Indiana (my apologizes to Hoosier), a certain win, so I won't be missing anything". We were in a sports apparel store that had a TV with the game on, and when I saw the score was 27-20 I just shook my head in disbelief.

traderumor
11-06-2011, 08:20 AM
I hate that all the premiere college football games these days are night games. Saturday night is the night we like to get out of the house and go out. I'd love to be able to watch the LSU-Alabama game tonight as it's probably the most exciting regular season game since OSU-Michigan in 2006, but I'm just not going to be able to.It doesn't look like you missed much. I watched the last 8 minutes and it was clearly evident why the score was only 6-6. More like a Woody/Bo "exciting" big game.

BuckeyeRed27
11-06-2011, 03:01 PM
It wasn't pretty today but there was a lot of games that weren't pretty when Tressel was the coach.I'm not sure what you expected to see today but I was just hopping for a win.A young team coming off a huge win had a letdown against a bad team the next week and won by 14 points.These things happen.

Exactly. It was just a let down game. Early kick off against the worst team in the conference right after the most emotional game of the season. It was close on the scoreboard but honestly I was never concerned about the outcome.

I would like to see the secondary stop having so many breakdowns.

Hoosier Red
11-06-2011, 05:30 PM
The wife and I, because we work different shifts and don't get to spend as much together as we'd like, spent Saturday in Columbus eating out (J Alexanders has fantastic prime rib by the way) and doing some shopping. I figured "OK, OSU is playing Indiana (my apologizes to Hoosier), a certain win, so I won't be missing anything". We were in a sports apparel store that had a TV with the game on, and when I saw the score was 27-20 I just shook my head in disbelief.

My general feeling on games like that are, "If it's a blowout like I expect, I don't really want to watch. If it's close, I REALLY don't want to watch."

jojo
11-12-2011, 11:29 AM

OSU now faces the "failure to monitor" charge from the NCAA and has cut 5 more scholarships over the next three years.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7217079/ncaa-slaps-ohio-state-buckeyes-failure-monitor-charge

If Meyer was to come to OSU, he'd be dealing with some significant competitive disadvantages his first several years due to self imposed penalties and whatever the NCAA tacks on. He'd also be inheriting a gap in recruiting classes as this business will likely result in at least one lack later class because here is no direction at the moment.

If he was burnt out from the grind of being the best, I'm not sure that this mess not give him significant cause for pause....

cincrazy
11-12-2011, 11:36 AM
OSU now faces the "failure to monitor" charge from the NCAA and has cut 5 more scholarships over the next three years.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7217079/ncaa-slaps-ohio-state-buckeyes-failure-monitor-charge

If Meyer was to come to OSU, he'd be dealing with some significant competitive disadvantages his first several years due to self imposed penalties and whatever the NCAA tacks on. He'd also be inheriting a gap in recruiting classes as this business will likely result in at least one lack later class because here is no direction at the moment.

If he was burnt out from the grind of being the best, I'm not sure that this mess not give him significant cause for pause....

I would say it's unlikely that Urban comes, but not impossible. If I had to guess, I'd say we still won't get a bowl ban. And while we do have a scholarship disadvantage, we're still going to get top-flight kids, just not the same amount of depth. And let's face it... it's the Big 10. How much of a disadvantage are we really at? Wisconsin recruits a different kind of kid, and PSU... let's not even get into that, as talking about football in regards to that program doesn't seem appropriate. After that, who else in the Leaders Division should we worry about?

It's still a great job. If Urban wants to get back into collegiate coaching immediately, it's still his best bet.

MWM
11-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah, this is a poorly coached team.....sorry!

jimbo
11-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah, this is a poorly coached team.....sorry!

Without a doubt, difficult to watch.

Roy Tucker
11-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Not a good day for Ohio teams and blocked kicks.

KronoRed
11-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Something to consider with Meyer now, his father died yesterday, wouldn't be surprised if it makes him be even more committed to spending time with family and not coaching.

RiverRat13
11-13-2011, 09:56 AM
I would say it's unlikely that Urban comes, but not impossible. If I had to guess, I'd say we still won't get a bowl ban. And while we do have a scholarship disadvantage, we're still going to get top-flight kids, just not the same amount of depth. And let's face it... it's the Big 10. How much of a disadvantage are we really at? Wisconsin recruits a different kind of kid, and PSU... let's not even get into that, as talking about football in regards to that program doesn't seem appropriate. After that, who else in the Leaders Division should we worry about?

It's still a great job. If Urban wants to get back into collegiate coaching immediately, it's still his best bet.

I agree with all of this. At schools where you can't oversign, you have 3-5 kids in a given year on scholarship who originally walked on. Losing 5 scholarships over 3 years is far from debilitating. Basically, you just won't be able to reward those walk-ons for their hard work. I'd expect the FTM will lead to some restrictions on the head coach's recruiting hours/days, but if Urban wants to stay home more, that may be a blessing in disguise for him. And as far as recruiting goes anyway, we're talking Urban Freaking Meyer at Ohio State, the only elite program in a state full of top high school players. He's going to get 12-15 of the state's top 20 kids on his and the university's name alone. As for this year's class, Ohio State with all of its mess still has a top 25 class. If Meyer commits to take over in December, I'd would think he'd make a late push to move that class into the top 15. I also wouldn't be surprised if he flipped a couple of those Ohio kids who have given a verbal to Michigan.

The Big 10 is just plain lousy. If Meyer goes to Ohio State, I wouldn't be surprised if he won the Big 10 in his first year. In two years with all of OSU's young talent he'd have them back as a national title contender.

traderumor
11-13-2011, 10:40 AM
The most frustrating thing about that loss is that after the constipated offense squirted out three scores, something as basic as an extra point, arguably the easiest part of the game, was BLOCKED, not shanked, but BLOCKED. The Bucks and Bengals have pulled a Freaky Friday this season.

Sea Ray
11-14-2011, 09:34 AM
The most frustrating thing about that loss is that after the constipated offense squirted out three scores, something as basic as an extra point, arguably the easiest part of the game, was BLOCKED, not shanked, but BLOCKED. The Bucks and Bengals have pulled a Freaky Friday this season.

Actually in the world of blocked kicks, OSU has more in common with the Bearcats and Browns than the Bengals

Roy Tucker
11-14-2011, 10:08 AM

What put me over the brink was after the XP is blocked and OSU kicks off with ~50 seconds left, they kick a line drive kick designed to prevent a long return. However, it gives Purdue the ball at about the 40 yard line, effectively just giving them 20 extremely valuable yards in field position. If it wasn't for a brain-dead pass by the Purdue QB, OSU would have lost in regulation time.

I really really really don't understand why they can't get anything more than a pee-wee football passing attack going. I can name 5 local high school teams that run a more sophisticated air game. I mean, really?

bucksfan2
11-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I really really really don't understand why they can't get anything more than a pee-wee football passing attack going. I can name 5 local high school teams that run a more sophisticated air game. I mean, really?

I think it goes to the heart of the matter. Jim Bollman has done little to improve the offense this season. It was a signature of Tressel's teams that they got better as the season went along. With Miller at QB and a bunch of raw WR's I thought the passing game would be rough all season long. I never imagined it would be as rough as it currently is. I still can't believe they can't execute a basic slant or call for a screen pass, or bubble screen, or easy pass calls. Hopefully the last two games will be the last with Bollman calling the offensive plays.

The offense got better when more passing calls were made. Miller may not be a good passer but he is at his best when he has room to move around. The TD pass to Hall was a heck of a play made by Miller's feet.

cincrazy
11-18-2011, 12:03 AM
"We are 99.7% sure Urban Meyer has agreed to a deal to become the next coach of Ohio State. Solid sources. Plural."

Tweet from elevenwarriors. Also, there's this http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N891CA

Where there's smoke, there's fire?

Brutus
11-18-2011, 12:09 AM
"We are 99.7% sure Urban Meyer has agreed to a deal to become the next coach of Ohio State. Solid sources. Plural."

Tweet from elevenwarriors. Also, there's this http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N891CA

Where there's smoke, there's fire?

I know some of those guys a little bit and have a pretty good idea of their sources. They're legit.

There's no doubt in my mind, knowing someone that speaks directly to Urban on a consistent basis, that Urban wants the job (and I posted as much earlier in this thread). It's really more "when" rather than "if" at this point. The numbers have already been discussed in depth, and some of the prospective assistants have already been solicited. It's just a matter of timing and signing the dotted line.

BuckeyeRed27
11-18-2011, 11:25 AM
I know some of those guys a little bit and have a pretty good idea of their sources. They're legit.

There's no doubt in my mind, knowing someone that speaks directly to Urban on a consistent basis, that Urban wants the job (and I posted as much earlier in this thread). It's really more "when" rather than "if" at this point. The numbers have already been discussed in depth, and some of the prospective assistants have already been solicited. It's just a matter of timing and signing the dotted line.

Sounds good to me.

Any idea of who the assistants are?

Buckeye33
11-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Sounds good to me.

Rumors flying today that the Temple DC is who Urban wants. I wish they would just announce him as the coach and get it over with.

Brutus
11-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Sounds good to me.

The buzz going around is he's already contacted Greg Studrawa, OC for LSU. Studrawa coached under Meyer at Bowling Green and is a B.G. alum and grew up in Ohio. There's a lot of talk that Ohio State will try to retain Luke Fickell as an associate head coach (to take some of the load off Meyer). I also expect Paul Haynes and Stan Drayton to be retained from the current staff.

As mentioned, Chuck Heater is the odds-on favorite to be the defensive coordinator. He was Meyer's guy at Florida and is coaching at Temple right now.

BuckeyeRed27
11-18-2011, 02:57 PM
The buzz going around is he's already contacted Greg Studrawa, OC for LSU. Studrawa coached under Meyer at Bowling Green and is a B.G. alum and grew up in Ohio. There's a lot of talk that Ohio State will try to retain Luke Fickell as an associate head coach (to take some of the load off Meyer). I also expect Paul Haynes and Stan Drayton to be retained from the current staff.

As mentioned, Chuck Heater is the odds-on favorite to be the defensive coordinator. He was Meyer's guy at Florida and is coaching at Temple right now.

Do you think Fickell would be onboard with such a plan? I think it would be great, but I don't know how much of a hit to the ego that would be.

kaldaniels
11-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Do you think Fickell would be onboard with such a plan? I think it would be great, but I don't know how much of a hit to the ego that would be.

I think he knows his role. No insult intended.

Brutus
11-18-2011, 03:43 PM

I don't think he'd be crazy about it, but they would pay him his current salary ($750k) to coach at his alma mater. And frankly, it's unlikely he'll get a head coaching job anywhere next season... so yeah, I think he'd go along with it.

GAC
11-18-2011, 03:50 PM
My buddy in Columbus just text'd me this news, but I can't find anything on the 'net to substantiate this rumor as of yet.

traderumor
11-18-2011, 04:31 PM
This is going to be like the Dusty Baker hiring was for some Reds fans--lot of eating words about their opinion of Urban Meyer. I guess his arrogance and smugness will turn to "confidence" and "winning attitude"? :D

BuckeyeRed27
11-18-2011, 04:40 PM
It's the old adage: If you can beat them in embarrassing fashion, join them anyways.

Brutus
11-18-2011, 05:59 PM
My buddy in Columbus just text'd me this news, but I can't find anything on the 'net to substantiate this rumor as of yet.

Eleven Warriors has it on their front page. These guys are very, very in tune with things inside the program.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com

MWM
11-18-2011, 07:12 PM
This is going to be like the Dusty Baker hiring was for some Reds fans--lot of eating words about their opinion of Urban Meyer. I guess his arrogance and smugness will turn to "confidence" and "winning attitude"? :D

I'm sure there are some that will have to do that, but I was actually a fan of the guy. I didn't care for how he handled the controversy around the 2006 national title game, but I can't say I blamed him. But otherwise, I respected him and thought he was a guy I'd like my kid to play for.

jimbo
11-19-2011, 01:08 PM
I came across this column.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/meyer-agrees-to-coach-buckeyes-building-staff-29902

Of that staff, sources indicate Meyer’s intial plan is to retain current Ohio State head football coach Luke Fickell and current Buckeye wide receivers coach Stan Drayton.

Meyer also aims to add Chris Spielman, Kirk Herbstreit, current North Carolina State linebackers coach Jon Tenuta and current LSU offensive line coach Greg Studwara to his Ohio State staff.

Redsfaithful
11-19-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm sure there are some that will have to do that, but I was actually a fan of the guy. I didn't care for how he handled the controversy around the 2006 national title game, but I can't say I blamed him. But otherwise, I respected him and thought he was a guy I'd like my kid to play for.

Yeah, same. If there was irritation about Meyer with Ohio State's fan base it's just because he was so successful. People have talked about him coming home to Columbus for years, even when Tressel was secure.

LoganBuck
11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
This is the worst tackling team at Ohio State since the 1999 team. That was the post Katzenmoyer group that was more interested in taking shots, instead of wrapping up and tackling. Seriously yuck. Fans keep worrying about the offense. Its the defense people. They can't stop anybody.

BuckeyeRed27
11-19-2011, 05:00 PM
The defense misses some tackles, but it is definitely the offense. If the offense was good you wouldn't care about the missed tackles. They are amplified because we can't move the ball.

Can we stop that stupid wildcat play please.

KronoRed
11-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Everybody here excited for the Gator bowl vs Florida? AKA the 'what the hell happened to these teams?' bowl ;)

MWM
11-19-2011, 08:02 PM
I only wish these reports about Meyer would not be published. It can only hurt things at this point. If it gets out big enough while the season is still going that could make things awkward for him and could get in the way.

GAC
11-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Meyer was in the booth at halftime of yesterday's game saying he has not been offered the job at OSU. That's not saying at some point it won't be, because I don't see them going into next season with Fickel at the helm. But I don't think OSU will make that decision, out of respect for Fickel who knows his job is "interim", till after the season.

OUReds
11-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Another game, another wretched performance from the coaching staff.

How do you not have a 4th down play ready to go late in the game? Get the play in on time for goodness sakes. The staff has to take a lot of the blame for the false start penalty that killed the last drive.

Meyer can't come soon enough. The sooner he's announced the sooner recruits know. 48 hours after the NCAA sanctions announcements is my guess.

Redsfaithful
11-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Meyer was in the booth at halftime of yesterday's game saying he has not been offered the job at OSU.

Careful wording I thought, pretty obviously. There's no job to offer right now.

jojo
11-20-2011, 12:43 PM
The details leaked are so specific tht it seems plausible he's coming and OSU is trying to prime recruiting....

traderumor
11-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Hallelujah, Bollman's last game as OC should be Saturday! Well, unless they go to the Astro Bluebonnet Bowl, I guess.

Roy Tucker
11-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Hallelujah, Bollman's last game as OC should be Saturday! Well, unless they go to the Astro Bluebonnet Bowl, I guess.

Or perhaps the Poulan Weedeater Bowl or the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

bucksfan2
11-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Or perhaps the Poulan Weedeater Bowl or the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

I think (hope) that a new coach will be announced shortly after the Michigan game. I do think that OSU won't fire Fickell and will have him as the head coach until the next one his officially hired. But if your Urban Meyer and you want the job, you especially want those couple of weeks before the bowl season to practice with your team.

Brutus
11-21-2011, 07:47 PM
I think (hope) that a new coach will be announced shortly after the Michigan game. I do think that OSU won't fire Fickell and will have him as the head coach until the next one his officially hired. But if your Urban Meyer and you want the job, you especially want those couple of weeks before the bowl season to practice with your team.

Dec. 12-15 is the date range that this will all be finalized, most likely.

Brutus
11-22-2011, 03:52 AM
Pretty much all parties have been informed now of the plan.

Sea Ray
11-22-2011, 09:20 AM
So how do you see this weekend's big game? I see a close game and the winner will be the defense that stops the run and forces the other team to pass 'cause neither QB is adept at throwing the ball. Mich's defense has improved a great deal since last year but I don't think they're up to OSU's level yet. I see OSU pulling this game out even though it's on the road. If Mich starts strong, it'll be problematic for the Buckeyes

Nice to see the game back on Thanksgiving weekend again too...

reds1869
11-22-2011, 09:25 AM
So how do you see this weekend's big game? I see a close game and the winner will be the defense that stops the run and forces the other team to pass 'cause neither QB is adept at throwing the ball. Mich's defense has improved a great deal since last year but I don't think they're up to OSU's level yet. I see OSU pulling this game out even though it's on the road. If Mich starts strong, it'll be problematic for the Buckeyes

I agree with pretty much everything you said. OSU gets the win.

BuckeyeRed27
11-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I have stopped having any expectations for what is going to happen in an Ohio State football game. Both teams have had pretty wild mood swings this year. If Ohio State pulls it all together and plays a complete game they should win by a whole bunch, but that probably won't happen. If Denard is allowed to run like Penn State was last week, Michigan could win by a whole bunch. I'm going to say Ohio State wins by 6, but I say that with a low level of confidence.

westofyou
11-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Michigan wins this week, the seniors will not be the only group to never experience an OSU win

bucksfan2
11-22-2011, 11:17 AM

I was happy when I was in school that he game was played the weekend before Thanksgiving. It made it much easier to enjoy the holiday weekend at home.

I think if OSU plays well they are the better team. I don't think Michigan's defense is good enough to stop OSU like MSU or PSU did. I think it boils down to two things. Does OSU's defense contain Denard. In the past Denard has had some nice plays but has been forced into too many costly turn overs. Secondly does Braxton Miller play a solid all around game. If he plays poorly or gets injured I don't see OSU winning.

MWM
11-22-2011, 11:27 AM
You don't need much of a defense to stop OSU's offense, so I hardly think they will be running up a lot of yards.

This game boils down to OSU's D-line. If they play like they did prior to last two weeks, OSU *should* win. If they play like they have the last two weeks, then Michigan will win.

dabvu2498
11-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Adolphus Washington commits to OSU, even with the coaching situation in flux. Maybe he knows something we don't???

They did miss out on his Taft teammate, Dwayne Stanford, who is heading to Oregon.

MWM
11-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Washington actually commented to the media that he thinks he'll be playing for Meyer, not Fickell. Seems a pretty low class thing to say, IMO.

And if the Meyer rumors turn out to be true and its announced soon, I wonder if that sways guys like Stanford. Meyer's receivers have done pretty well in the NFL. Of course, maybe he just doesn't want to stay close to home and loves the Oregon program. Can't say that I'd blame him for that.

But given the choice between getting a top tier defensive end and a top tier receiver, I'll take the end every time.

Roy Tucker
11-22-2011, 01:00 PM
That's interesting about Adolphus Washington committing.

I fully expect OSU to lose to Michigan. The bubble is bound to pop some time. And I think it will be an ugly game. UM will pack 8 in the box and dare OSU to throw. Posey will have to come up huge. OSU's defense will have to tackle better than they have been.

Plus the game is in Ann Arbor and we have a rookie head coach and a rookie QB. Even though UM has declined, that's still a really tough place to play and it is Ohio State-Michigan after all.

And OSU is going to look pretty silly if Meyer declines. And then what?

LoganBuck
11-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Washington actually commented to the media that he thinks he'll be playing for Meyer, not Fickell. Seems a pretty low class thing to say, IMO.

And if the Meyer rumors turn out to be true and its announced soon, I wonder if that sways guys like Stanford. Meyer's receivers have done pretty well in the NFL. Of course, maybe he just doesn't want to stay close to home and loves the Oregon program. Can't say that I'd blame him for that.

But given the choice between getting a top tier defensive end and a top tier receiver, I'll take the end every time.

To be blunt on the Stanford thing, I am glad he went elsewhere. This team needs offensive linemen in the worst sort of way. Ohio State has three commits at WR already, and useful returning guys next year. Stanford was a luxury item. Ohio State only has one true tackle returning next year, in Andrew Norwell. Gotta beef up the line.

medford
11-22-2011, 04:14 PM
If the rumors are true that Urban is taking the job, and if Washington has been informed of this, then no doubt Stanford was informed as well.

I read somewhere that Urban has been removed from the broadcast team for the game this weekend. Kind of seals the deal in my mind, a whole lot of smoke.

OUReds
11-22-2011, 04:58 PM
More rumors, this time that the deal is done per Bill Greene at Scouts

https://twitter.com/#!/BillBankGreene/status/139079149758316545

A nice rundown of the situation from O-Zone

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2011/Michigan/rumormill.html

It's pretty safe to assume that Meyer will be the next coach at tOSU.

Brutus
11-22-2011, 05:19 PM
More rumors, this time that the deal is done per Bill Greene at Scouts

https://twitter.com/#!/BillBankGreene/status/139079149758316545

A nice rundown of the situation from O-Zone

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2011/Michigan/rumormill.html

It's pretty safe to assume that Meyer will be the next coach at tOSU.

As I said... people were told last week. It's def. a done deal.

ESPN honchos were informed last Thursday. That is why Meyer was pulled off the broadcast of the OSU-Michigan game for this week.

BuckeyeRed27
11-22-2011, 05:28 PM
I can't wait until this is actually official. I know it is basically done, but I'll be much happier once he has signed on the line that is dotted.

westofyou
11-22-2011, 05:53 PM
As I said... people were told last week. It's def. a done deal.

ESPN honchos were informed last Thursday. That is why Meyer was pulled off the broadcast of the OSU-Michigan game for this week.

Yet he denied it during the broadcast of the UM-Neb game... a no comment would have sufficed I suppose

Brutus
11-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Yet he denied it during the broadcast of the UM-Neb game... a no comment would have sufficed I suppose

There's not really a right way or a wrong way to handle those rumors. What was interesting about his denial during that broadcast is that he did not specifically deny the Ohio State job when asked. What he said is that he has not been "offered" or "accepted" "any" jobs. Instead of specifically denying the Ohio State job, he simply made a blanket statement that he hasn't been offered or accepted anything from anyone.

It's not just semantics, but rather he was telling the truth. There's no "official" offer in place by Ohio State and thus there was not an offer to accept.

What he didn't say during the denial was A) that he had not been talking to anyone and B) that he didn't intend to accept Ohio State's offer when it was official.

It will be official this week, and he's already told Ohio State and ESPN he will be taking it when it is in writing.

westofyou
11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
There's not really a right way or a wrong way to handle those rumors. What was interesting about his denial during that broadcast is that he did not specifically deny the Ohio State job when asked. What he said is that he has not been "offered" or "accepted" "any" jobs. Instead of specifically denying the Ohio State job, he simply made a blanket statement that he hasn't been offered or accepted anything from anyone.

It's not just semantics, but rather he was telling the truth. There's no "official" offer in place by Ohio State and thus there was not an offer to accept.

What he didn't say during the denial was A) that he had not been talking to anyone and B) that he didn't intend to accept Ohio State's offer when it was official.

It will be official this week, and he's already told Ohio State and ESPN he will be taking it when it is in writing.

Sounds like lawyerball to me!

Brutus
11-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Sounds like lawyerball to me!

Most everything in life comes down to the letter of the law anyhow.

Regardless, does it matter what he tells us publicly? He doesn't owe the media or fans the truth. He's been up front with the people involved in any side of the process, so that's really all that matters.

Sea Ray
11-22-2011, 08:28 PM

Well he denied more than that. He said that there has not even been an interview:

“If something happens with Ohio State, I’ll have a decision to make,” Meyer said. “But there has been no interview. There has been no offer to make a decision about.” http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/urban-meyer-to-ohio-state-rumors-bubbling-but-no-offer-yet/2011/11/22/gIQA9WNGlN_blog.html

Brutus
11-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Well he denied more than that. He said that there has not even been an interview:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/urban-meyer-to-ohio-state-rumors-bubbling-but-no-offer-yet/2011/11/22/gIQA9WNGlN_blog.html

Of course there hasn't been an interview. And there won't be. You don't need to interview guys that already have two national titles.

He's absolutely telling the truth on that.

You notice he didn't say there hasn't been contact? People are looking at these quotes too broadly. He's telling the truth. There hasn't been an interview. He hasn't had an "offer." He's able to refute the rumors rather honestly right now.

kaldaniels
11-22-2011, 09:21 PM
I would go as far to say Meyer fed the question verbatim to the announcer that asked him about the rumor, and I dont fault him for doing so.

Chip R
11-23-2011, 11:38 PM
It looks like it's going to happen. You have to give tOSU credit for selling him on the program despite the possible NCAA sanctions. He's the best free agent coach out there and they snapped him up.

That said, I'm not sure he's going to have any more success than Tressel did. Sure, he's going to get all the great Ohio recruits but you could get Barney Fife as head coach and they would get the top Ohio recruits. Whether he can get recruits from below the Mason-Dixon and the success he has with those - and other - recruits will define his success. But to achieve that success he will have to go one better than Tressel and win those BCS championship games. His offense may look better than Tressel's but unless he wins those BCS championship games he's not going to be judged any better than Tressel.

traderumor
11-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Of course there hasn't been an interview. And there won't be. You don't need to interview guys that already have two national titles.

He's absolutely telling the truth on that.

You notice he didn't say there hasn't been contact? People are looking at these quotes too broadly. He's telling the truth. There hasn't been an interview. He hasn't had an "offer." He's able to refute the rumors rather honestly right now.What, you mean this process wasn't turned over to an executive search firm where people turned in their resumes with slick, attention-getting cover letters? How will they possibly get the best and brightest without doing so?;)

RiverRat13
11-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Any truth to the rumors that Mrs. Meyer isn't exactly thrilled with Urban getting back into coaching?

MWM
11-24-2011, 02:49 PM
The rumor I read was the she actually was encouraging him to get back into it.

RiverRat13
11-24-2011, 02:58 PM
The rumor I read was the she actually was encouraging him to get back into it.

I had read that as well. Now someone on another site is claiming he's taking the job but she's upset about it. I find that hard to believe.

jojo
11-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Meyer quit the Florida job citing health and family reasons. It's pretty unlikely that those issues were solved in such a short time. Either he's willing to again endure the family issues or OSU won't be getting he same effort that Florida got. Or he quit Florida for reasons not stated.

If he does indeed become the buckeye coach, he may not be long for the job.

Brutus
11-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Any truth to the rumors that Mrs. Meyer isn't exactly thrilled with Urban getting back into coaching?

It runs completely contrary to everything I've been hearing for two months. And I doubt very seriously he would have taken the job if his wife wasn't totally on board with it. In fact, his wife is a Buckeye fan, her family lives in Ohio and she carries a 'buckeye' around in her pocket for luck. She has no issues with him taking the job if he's happy. As far as his health issues... overblown, really. The health and burnout stuff, coupled with the long hours and stress, was causing a rift at home. However, Urban left for many different reasons beyond the health stuff. He was tired of recruiting against the dirty and sleaze in the SEC and hated trying to compete with the over-signing. That stuff took a toll as he didn't want to do those things.

He'll find himself to be much happier at a place he's wanted to coach all his life and distant from the deep south recruiting, which is every man for himself.

RiverRat13
11-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Meyer quit the Florida job citing health and family reasons. It's pretty unlikely that those issues were solved in such a short time. Either he's willing to again endure the family issues or OSU won't be getting he same effort that Florida got. Or he quit Florida for reasons not stated.

If he does indeed become the buckeye coach, he may not be long for the job.

It's easier to coach at OSU than Florida. Less competition in your conference. Less competition for recruits in your talent-rich state. Your competition can't over-sign.

And there's a lot of smoke that he quit Florida for "reasons not stated".

George Foster
11-24-2011, 10:06 PM
It's easier to coach at OSU than Florida. Less competition in your conference. Less competition for recruits in your talent-rich state. Your competition can't over-sign.

And there's a lot of smoke that he quit Florida for "reasons not stated".

I think he is a good enough coach to look at the team he had in Florida, the team he was going to have in the very near future and he got out of Dodge while his stock was still sky high. Florida is 6-5 this year.

Brutus
11-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I think he is a good enough coach to look at the team he had in Florida, the team he was going to have in the very near future and he got out of Dodge while his stock was still sky high. Florida is 6-5 this year.

If that had anything to do with it, he would have followed through in leaving after losing Tebow and the several NFL picks they had that season.

Florida has had four consecutive top-5 recruiting classes. Talent is absolutely not the problem there. Anytime there's a transition and a new coach is putting a different system in place, there is a risk it could look ugly. And it's possible that Meyer simply is a better coach than Muschamp was.

MWM
11-25-2011, 01:37 AM
I have a strange feeling about this coming to fruition. Not sure why, but I do. It will be the most excited I've been about the Bucks in a long time. I never hid the fact that I was looking forward to the Tressel era ending, although I wish it would have been under different circumstances.

But had you asked me two years ago who I'd want coaching my favorite team out of anyone in the country it would have been Meyer. I still think he's the best coach in the nation. Saban could be argued, but I'd never want him coaching a team I root for. There's little I respect about Nick Saban even if he is a really good coach.

KronoRed
11-25-2011, 03:36 AM
If that had anything to do with it, he would have followed through in leaving after losing Tebow and the several NFL picks they had that season.

Florida has had four consecutive top-5 recruiting classes. Talent is absolutely not the problem there. Anytime there's a transition and a new coach is putting a different system in place, there is a risk it could look ugly. And it's possible that Meyer simply is a better coach than Muschamp was.

You osu guys miss the 8-5 disaster from last year? with three total blow outs? this years Florida team and last years (Meyer) are both plain and simple awful.

If osu gets the 01 to 09 Meyer you're in good hands, if you get the delegate it all man from 10 after he retired and came back, could be a major disappointment.

goreds2
11-25-2011, 11:41 AM
OSU - Michigan game from 1969 now playing on the Big Ten Network. (On until 1:30pm est.)

This was BO's first game coaching against Woody.

Brutus
11-25-2011, 01:02 PM
You osu guys miss the 8-5 disaster from last year? with three total blow outs? this years Florida team and last years (Meyer) are both plain and simple awful.

If osu gets the 01 to 09 Meyer you're in good hands, if you get the delegate it all man from 10 after he retired and came back, could be a major disappointment.

Don't you feel like it's classic cherry-picking to have to cite the 2010 season in order to otherwise cast doubt on a guy with two titles, four BCS wins, a 7-1 bowl record and having won 82 percent of his games?

RiverRat13
11-25-2011, 01:30 PM

If Cam Newton wasn't a thief/academic cheat while at Florida, Meyer wins at a minimum 10 games last year and you could probably argue that those blowouts become winnable with Cam running the show.

KronoRed
11-25-2011, 06:14 PM
It's not really casting doubt or cherry picking, it's his most recent year of coaching and there was a definite change, the OC, now coach at Temple, did the interviews, did the coaches shows, was the one on the sideline doing the talking to the players, was the one the players said more then once was the guy running practice.

If you guys want to dismiss it I understand that, but the 10 Meyer was different, and not just because the team was awful.

Brutus
11-25-2011, 08:03 PM
It's not really casting doubt or cherry picking, it's his most recent year of coaching and there was a definite change, the OC, now coach at Temple, did the interviews, did the coaches shows, was the one on the sideline doing the talking to the players, was the one the players said more then once was the guy running practice.

If you guys want to dismiss it I understand that, but the 10 Meyer was different, and not just because the team was awful.

Sure. His mind wasn't right. But the things that made it that way won't be in the picture now.

MWM
11-26-2011, 01:38 PM
I love Braxton Miller and think he's going to be a great player, but the scouting reports on him were that he was a more advanced passer than Pryor was in high school. And while he has a better arm than TP, I expected him to be much better than this. He makes some awful throws on short routine throws.

goreds2
11-26-2011, 02:03 PM
It would be sooo cool to win this game after Michigan invited over 300 Alumni. :laugh:

MWM
11-26-2011, 03:14 PM
So how is it that with 5 minutes left in the game, Robinson can run a QB draw up the middle without any linebackers there? We all knew what was coming. If he makes a play, then you tip your cap, but they seemed to be caught completely by surprise by this.

And they did it again?

jojo
11-26-2011, 03:32 PM
So how is it that with 5 minutes left in the game, Robinson can run a QB draw up the middle without any linebackers there? We all knew what was coming. If he makes a play, then you tip your cap, but they seemed to be caught completely by surprise by this.

And they did it again?

I'm perplexed by a great deal of things in this game.

MWM
11-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Well, even if it's not Meyer, it needs to be someone else. This coaching staff is not good. Yes, it was a tough situation to inherit, but this is a poorly coached team and I don't see it as any better at the end of the year than the beginning.

jimbo
11-26-2011, 03:53 PM
He makes some awful throws on short routine throws.

I also counted 3 overthrown touchdown passes.

jimbo
11-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Well, even if it's not Meyer, it needs to be someone else. This coaching staff is not good. Yes, it was a tough situation to inherit, but this is a poorly coached team and I don't see it as any better at the end of the year than the beginning.

Agree 110%.

Benihana
11-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Go Blue! That is all.

Ohayou
All things considered, I think Miller deserves a little while before we get overly presumptuous and assume he's going to suck. This was the first game that OSU has even really let him pass a lot.

Redsfaithful
I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse coaching decision than the third down spike. Michigan was a better team this year, but I honestly think Ohio State wins that with even average coaching.

RiverRat13
11-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Good game. Braxton missed some throws but by the time he is done at OSU I think he'll be something special. Lots of shoulda/coulda/woulda's, but that's pretty much been the story of the year for the Bucks.

Oh, well. I'm expecting Urban Meyer to be announced as the head coach on Monday. With everything OSU has gone through the last 11 months it will be nice to get a fresh start.

cincrazy
11-26-2011, 04:56 PM
I think the coaching was FANTASTIC in this game, particularly on offense. Let's be real, Braxton missed a ton of wide open throws. How does the coaching get blamed for this? And the spike was a bad call, but he's a FRESHMAN. The defense was terrible, but the personnel is underwhelming.

It was a disappointing year, no question. But I'm not going to pile on this coaching staff. They could've done a better job, yes. But I tip my cap to them, and thank all of them for perhaps the best 10 years in the history of this program.

GAC
11-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I also counted 3 overthrown touchdown passes.

Bingo. Regardless of the fact there was no defense on either side, those overthrown balls on sure TDs had me stomping the floor. This was a very winnable game for the Buckeyes, and I picked them to lose it. What it came down to, IMO, was some simply bad decision-making (and play calling) on the sidelines, and especially in critical situations. You run 15 seconds off the clock at a critical time, and then spike the ball, and lose a down? I was livid!

And I know they put up 34 pts, but their offense was so predictable for the most part. Michigan came to the line knowing what they were going to do.

And here's what gets me. When they did actually open up this offense, look at what they did! They marched down the field and scored a TD in 1:18 time. Why weren't they doing that for most of the season?

Kudos to Robinson. He played one helluva a game. Our defense didn't know if he was coming or going. Really poor tackling too. I would have done more to shut down the running game, and forced him to beat us with his arm. It still may have not made any difference, but you still try to take away his strength and force him into his weakness.

While I don't put all the blame on Fickel - he did inherit a tough situation - this entire coaching staff has to go.

GAC
11-26-2011, 05:21 PM
With 6 wins, do the Buckeyes get a bowl bid? There's a lot of money at stake there.

MWM
11-26-2011, 05:37 PM
I hope not. I hate the idea of .500 teams going to bowls. They aren't a bowl caliber team this year.

GAC
11-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I hope not. I hate the idea of .500 teams going to bowls. They aren't a bowl caliber team this year.

Oh I agree. I was watching the Tennessee-Kentucky game also, and they were talking how the Vols need to win to reach that #6 plateau and be bowl eligible. Any team that goes 1-6 in their own conference shouldn't be bowl eligible. And the way most schedules are set up any more, very cupcake, it doesn't take much to reach that 6 win goal.

It's all about the money. And regardless of OSU's down year, they would still bring a lot of money to that local economy.

Brutus
11-26-2011, 06:52 PM

The Gator Bowl has already publicly said they want Ohio State vs. Florida even if both teams are 6-6 (since Urban Meyer will be the head coach).

Hillsdale87
11-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Miller badly missed some throws today, but I was very encouraged overall with how he played. A couple of the deep throws he missed were well thrown balls that were just off. He is going to be a star. I am a little disappointed as well that he's not as advanced as a passer as I had anticipated, but today he certainly showed that he has what it takes. In the offseason he needs to work on some of his intermediate throws and his accuracy, but he's going to be a star next year with Urban Meyer. Hopefully some of the receivers step up next year as well.

Ohayou
11-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Money + Exposure > Bowl games actually meaning something in the way of competition

dabvu2498
11-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Money + Exposure > Bowl games actually meaning something in the way of competition

Not to mention an extra month's practice with a young team and a freshman QB.

Buckeye33
11-26-2011, 11:16 PM

This is why OSU should play a bowl game. I do not care if Meyer doesn't coach the bowl game, the young guys need to play and practice as much as possible.

They have a ton of young guys who played this year and it can only help if they get an extra 2-3 weeks of practice.

MWM
11-27-2011, 01:22 AM
The Gator Bowl has already publicly said they want Ohio State vs. Florida even if both teams are 6-6 (since Urban Meyer will be the head coach).

Interesting. I know someone on the board there and live in Jax. I doubt I'd even have much interest going to that game.

Matt700wlw
11-27-2011, 02:02 AM
.500 teams should never get a bowl game.

It's like giving every kid a trophy so they don't feel left out.

And yes, the Gator Bowl wants the Urban Meyer bowl. We'll see.

Matt700wlw
11-27-2011, 02:03 AM
This is why OSU should play a bowl game. I do not care if Meyer doesn't coach the bowl game, the young guys need to play and practice as much as possible.

They have a ton of young guys who played this year and it can only help if they get an extra 2-3 weeks of practice.

If it's not Meyer's coaching staff, what good will it really do them? Practice in a system that won't exist come fall?

OUReds
11-27-2011, 01:51 PM
If it's not Meyer's coaching staff, what good will it really do them? Practice in a system that won't exist come fall?

The defense is just as young as the offense, and when you are dealing with a true freshman quarterback, every snap helps. No question you go to the bowl if you can.

jojo
11-27-2011, 02:19 PM
The defense is just as young as the offense, and when you are dealing with a true freshman quarterback, every snap helps. No question you go to the bowl if you can.

The only reason you'd say no is if you were trying to mitigate NCAA penalties that are coming by self imposing penalties ala Miami.

OUReds
11-27-2011, 03:10 PM
The only reason you'd say no is if you were trying to mitigate NCAA penalties that are coming by self imposing penalties ala Miami.

Agreed, the administration clearly doesn't think that's the case though.

MWM
11-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Agreed, the administration clearly doesn't think that's the case though.

I'm not sure this administration has shown very good judgement about much of anything though.

OUReds
11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure this administration has shown very good judgement about much of anything though.

That goes without saying :)

bucksfan2
11-27-2011, 07:24 PM

Unless you are in a BCS bowl game you are in it for the extra month of practice. You tell me freshman and sophomores don't have a ton to gain from one more month of practice? Another month of practice for Miller to get on the same page with his WR's would be great. Another month to allow all the young defensive guys to understand the system better is priceless. The good and great coaches in college football improve their team greatly over the month long practice sessions. Not to mention no classes to deal with at OSU in about a week or so.

*BaseClogger*
11-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Interesting. I know someone on the board there and live in Jax. I doubt I'd even have much interest going to that game.

Are you like the Larry David of Ohio State fans or something?

MWM
11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
LOL.... maybe. I have no idea what that means.

*BaseClogger*
11-28-2011, 02:46 AM
LOL.... maybe. I have no idea what that means.

I'm just saying you are the most negative fan of Ohio State football that I've ever read. You wouldn't want to go watch the team in a bowl game coached by Urban Meyer? :confused:

GAC
11-28-2011, 05:53 AM
I'm just saying you are the most negative fan of Ohio State football that I've ever read. You wouldn't want to go watch the team in a bowl game coached by Urban Meyer? :confused:

Mike is one of the most negative fans of OSU football? I've known Mike for years, and that "label" is simply laughable IMO. What has occurred with this school over the last year - whether it's the selfish actions of players, or the way the HC and administration poorly handled it - which greatly hurt the program this year, deserves some negative criticism.

If we are selected to appear in a bowl game (and I don't think we deserve one either), I personally have no desire to see Meyer coach it. So does that label fit me too? Why does Meyer, and not Fickel, deserve to coach us in a bowl game? And I, as well as MWM, want Meyer as our new HC. But as far as I'm concerned, the guy who should be coaching us in a bowl game this year, regardless of what some think of him, should be Fickel. This is HIS team. Let him finish the job this year, and that includes any bowl appearance.

And if Meyer is to be the next HC, then after the bowl game let him start with a clean slate. In fact, I wouldn't even announce it, or make the decision till after any bowl game. But Fickel was selected, and thrust into, a very difficult situation this year. And regardless of the outcomes this year he deserves some level of respect IMO.

Finally.... I wish the NCAA would quit screwing around and come to a final determination on this. Why are they stonewalling? They're a joke too IMO.

Oxilon
11-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Well, it's official, if it wasn't official before.

WVRed
11-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Looks like its a done deal according to the Worldwide Leader:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7289592/urban-meyer-joins-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-1-year-hiatus-sources-say

hebroncougar
11-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Guess Meyer got sick of spending time with his family PDQ.

MWM
11-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Maybe I am negative, who knows. I consider myself a realist. But I'm just not going to go out of my way o a holiday to go see a 6-6 team play in a "bowl game". Heck, I'm an alumus of the University of Michigan and they were here last year and I had free tickets if I wanted them and didn't go.

*BaseClogger*
11-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I guess it's just a matter of perspective, because this guy would be incredibly grateful to have free tickets to a bowl game.

Mike is one of the most negative fans of OSU football? I've known Mike for years, and that "label" is simply laughable IMO. What has occurred with this school over the last year - whether it's the selfish actions of players, or the way the HC and administration poorly handled it - which greatly hurt the program this year, deserves some negative criticism.

If we are selected to appear in a bowl game (and I don't think we deserve one either), I personally have no desire to see Meyer coach it. So does that label fit me too? Why does Meyer, and not Fickel, deserve to coach us in a bowl game? And I, as well as MWM, want Meyer as our new HC. But as far as I'm concerned, the guy who should be coaching us in a bowl game this year, regardless of what some think of him, should be Fickel. This is HIS team. Let him finish the job this year, and that includes any bowl appearance.

And if Meyer is to be the next HC, then after the bowl game let him start with a clean slate. In fact, I wouldn't even announce it, or make the decision till after any bowl game. But Fickel was selected, and thrust into, a very difficult situation this year. And regardless of the outcomes this year he deserves some level of respect IMO.

Finally.... I wish the NCAA would quit screwing around and come to a final determination on this. Why are they stonewalling? They're a joke too IMO.

I agree that a fan should be realistic and negative when the time calls for it. I've just read a lot of negative and little positive in this thread. Obviously that is mostly a result of the type of season the Buckeyes had this year, but I've seen a lot of encouraging things out of this program over the past few months that have made me much more optimistic.

I don't like the idea of .500 teams going to bowl games any more than you two, but I've accepted it and gotten with the times. That's the way it is now, half the teams make bowls. Would I ever want Ohio State to be at a disadvantage and miss a bowl while all the other 6-6 teams play? Or have the opportunity to go to the game in the town I'm living in and not go? Hell no! I would love to see the Buckeyes in the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl at Ford Field.

This is not Fickel's team. This is Jim Tressel's team. Fickel was an interim coach, a representative on Tressel's behalf. It's Tressel's players and Tressel's coaches. The guy who should be coaching the Bucks ASAP is Urban Meyer. Fickel was an interim coach. It is in the best interest of the football program for Meyer to get his system in place for the players and his coaches and to begin recruiting. I want to see Meyer coaching this bowl game.

Maybe I am negative, who knows. I consider myself a realist. But I'm just not going to go out of my way o a holiday to go see a 6-6 team play in a "bowl game". Heck, I'm an alumus of the University of Michigan and they were here last year and I had free tickets if I wanted them and didn't go.

Eh, I think you were a realist about nine months ago. You've been very negative all season and at times I think it has been deserved. But right now I'm more exciting about Ohio State football than I have been since about December 2006.

I'm from Detroit so I go to the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl/Motor City Bowl just about every year, no matter who is playing in the game. Tickets are cheap and college bowl games are a fun time...

bucksfan2
11-28-2011, 12:00 PM
I agree that a fan should be realistic and negative when the time calls for it. I've just read a lot of negative and little positive in this thread. Obviously that is mostly a result of the type of season the Buckeyes had this year, but I've seen a lot of encouraging things out of this program over the past few months that have made me much more optimistic.

I enjoyed this football season. The Bauserman issues aside, as well as the MSU game, OSU played well with a team that lost 4 of its best players before the season started and had one of their best DLineman go out for the year as well. There were games that were awfully boring (MSU) but then again its college football and there are a lot worse ways to spend a Saturday. With the amount of youth that was given a chance to play this season it leaves me awfully encouraged for the next few years.

I don't like the idea of .500 teams going to bowl games any more than you two, but I've accepted it and gotten with the times. That's the way it is now, half the teams make bowls. Would I ever want Ohio State to be at a disadvantage and miss a bowl while all the other 6-6 teams play? Or have the opportunity to go to the game in the town I'm living in and not go? Hell no! I would love to see the Buckeyes in the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl at Ford Field.

Its one more football game. I don't care if they are deserving or not its another chance to watch OSU this season. I remember a handful of years ago when a disappointing ND team refused to go to a bowl game. I thought it was one of the most arrogant things to do. Especially when you consider they lost out on a month + of practice time.

This is not Fickel's team. This is Jim Tressel's team. Fickel was an interim coach, a representative on Tressel's behalf. It's Tressel's players and Tressel's coaches. The guy who should be coaching the Bucks ASAP is Urban Meyer. Fickel was an interim coach. It is in the best interest of the football program for Meyer to get his system in place for the players and his coaches and to begin recruiting. I want to see Meyer coaching this bowl game.

True. Fickell was thrown into a difficult situation and handled it with class. There were several games where he was exposed as a coach as well as being left with Joe Bauserman as the starting QB. I want to see what Meyer can do with this team for a bowl game. One month of practice is huge when you are dealing with a very young team.

Brutus
11-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Guess Meyer got sick of spending time with his family PDQ.

When you and your wife both want something pretty badly... hard to criticize the move, I think.

Is it really an anti-family move when the family wants it? Just askin'

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2011, 04:46 PM
They should've skipped the middle man and just offered the job to Tim Tebow directly. ;)

BuckeyeRed27
11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
They should've skipped the middle man and just offered the job to Tim Tebow directly. ;)

Between winning football games and forgiving the world for their sins he just couldn't find the time.

hebroncougar
11-28-2011, 06:46 PM
When you and your wife both want something pretty badly... hard to criticize the move, I think.

Nah......the family must have just been pro OSU. Just more BS from the profession that's full of it. :laugh:

traderumor
11-28-2011, 06:54 PM
I enjoyed this football season. The Bauserman issues aside, as well as the MSU game, OSU played well with a team that lost 4 of its best players before the season started and had one of their best DLineman go out for the year as well. There were games that were awfully boring (MSU) but then again its college football and there are a lot worse ways to spend a Saturday. With the amount of youth that was given a chance to play this season it leaves me awfully encouraged for the next few years.

Its one more football game. I don't care if they are deserving or not its another chance to watch OSU this season. I remember a handful of years ago when a disappointing ND team refused to go to a bowl game. I thought it was one of the most arrogant things to do. Especially when you consider they lost out on a month + of practice time.

True. Fickell was thrown into a difficult situation and handled it with class. There were several games where he was exposed as a coach as well as being left with Joe Bauserman as the starting QB. I want to see what Meyer can do with this team for a bowl game. One month of practice is huge when you are dealing with a very young team.I can't think of a worse thing to do than take a team that has been through what this one has and send them a coach with a resounding Mighty Mouse cheer "Here I am to save the day!" Plus, tell Fickell "sorry, Bub, moving back to defense, there's a new sheriff in town."

What would be gained with this one month for one meaningless game between two mediocre teams is far outweighed by taking the opportunity for the new coach to start on staff and player recruiting. Let the lame ducks have one last hurrah.

MWM
11-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Did anyone really believe he was never going to coach again? I think a lot of guys step down and really believe they're done. They learn it's easier said than done. I think it all boiled down to one of the very few jobs he actually coveted being open. This might have been his only chance to have this job, so I'm sure that's why he's back so soon. He said that were it not for this job being open, he would not be coaching next year. I'm sure that's probably true.

This is easily the most exciting day for Ohio State football since the 2002 national championship.

WVRed
11-28-2011, 08:40 PM

The only thing is, outside of Ohio and especially in Florida, Urban Meyer is a hypocrite. There's no way to sugarcoat it.

That being said, I do think Ohio State is in a situation where Meyer can install his own brand, recruit the top in-state talent, and leave the brunt work to Luke Fickell if he decides to retain him as associate head coach (that was being rumored a few weeks ago). I think even with NCAA sanctions, he will have more of a work/family balance than he did at Florida.

I don't have a dog in this race, but the only thing concerning me with Meyer if I'm Ohio State is that while he had all-everything Tim Tebow as the face of his tenure at Florida, there were up to 30 players arrested during his tenure. It's a home run hire for the future of Ohio State football, but for setting compliance with the NCAA, it could something to keep an eye on.

kaldaniels
11-28-2011, 09:07 PM
I wonder how the players will buy into the Meyer hype next year. It would be easy to coast into the season thinking Meyers arrival will bring a big ten crown. A great coach won't let that happen.

Brutus
11-28-2011, 10:01 PM
It runs completely contrary to everything I've been hearing for two months. And I doubt very seriously he would have taken the job if his wife wasn't totally on board with it. In fact, his wife is a Buckeye fan, her family lives in Ohio and she carries a 'buckeye' around in her pocket for luck. She has no issues with him taking the job if he's happy. As far as his health issues... overblown, really. The health and burnout stuff, coupled with the long hours and stress, was causing a rift at home. However, Urban left for many different reasons beyond the health stuff. He was tired of recruiting against the dirty and sleaze in the SEC and hated trying to compete with the over-signing. That stuff took a toll as he didn't want to do those things.

He'll find himself to be much happier at a place he's wanted to coach all his life and distant from the deep south recruiting, which is every man for himself.

The only thing is, outside of Ohio and especially in Florida, Urban Meyer is a hypocrite. There's no way to sugarcoat it.

That being said, I do think Ohio State is in a situation where Meyer can install his own brand, recruit the top in-state talent, and leave the brunt work to Luke Fickell if he decides to retain him as associate head coach (that was being rumored a few weeks ago). I think even with NCAA sanctions, he will have more of a work/family balance than he did at Florida.

I don't have a dog in this race, but the only thing concerning me with Meyer if I'm Ohio State is that while he had all-everything Tim Tebow as the face of his tenure at Florida, there were up to 30 players arrested during his tenure. It's a home run hire for the future of Ohio State football, but for setting compliance with the NCAA, it could something to keep an eye on.

I want to call attention to these comments I made last week. And direct them to what Urban said at the press conference (which I was surprised he said publicly)...

On why he stepped down (partial quote)

"I didn't like the state of college football--a lot of stuff going on. You'd hear about a lot of stuff going on and I just didn't want to be a part of that."

Follow up... what he didn't like about college football...

"I want to say this the right way; I tried to do other peoples' jobs because I'd sit in the staff room and hear about all the nonsense going on and where are recruits, why they were going there and what was going on. That's age-old and I tried to, and maybe to a fault, I think some things were going on and I think they were because all you have to do is read the newspapers for the last 12 months or the last 2 years. We all make mistakes but willful and intentful mistakes I have a real problem with that and I let that not destroy me but... at ESPN we were at a little seminar this summer. A guy made a great presentation where he talked about just keeping it in centerfield. ESPN does a great job keeping it in centerfield. I'm doodling and as I'm sitting there taking notes, my problem is I veered off centerfield. I tried to cure NCAA issues, I tried to cure agent issues, maybe drug issues, maybe the whatever and I went out of centerfield. There's people that get paid a lot of money and very professional, and that's their obligation and responsibility to fix those things. After spending time with the NCAA and evaluating and sitting back, you know what? That's their job. That's not my job. So I'm going to go about it and keep it right in centerfield."

MWM
11-28-2011, 10:11 PM
That's interesting, Brutus. He talked around it and never came out and said it, but it's pretty clear what he's talking about. However, I don't think he won't experience some of the same things in this job. I'm sure he'll be doing a lot of recruiting down there for OSU and the midwest isn't immune from the same things, with the exception of over-signing which I still have a hard time believing has not been outlawed everywhere.

Brutus
11-28-2011, 10:32 PM
That's interesting, Brutus. He talked around it and never came out and said it, but it's pretty clear what he's talking about. However, I don't think he won't experience some of the same things in this job. I'm sure he'll be doing a lot of recruiting down there for OSU and the midwest isn't immune from the same things, with the exception of over-signing which I still have a hard time believing has not been outlawed everywhere.

He won't be immune from it, he just won't have to deal with it on quite as widespread a basis as he was before.

MWM
11-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I can't imagine anyone is happier than Braxton Miller.

Brutus
11-28-2011, 10:42 PM

I can think of a few people... the Ohio State tight ends lol

dabvu2498
11-28-2011, 10:50 PM
So Meyer didn't oversign while he was at UF?

jojo
11-28-2011, 11:24 PM

His administration "officially" would not let him. But U of F was never short of 85 scholarship athletes (despite quite a bit of off the field turbulence) so either there was absolutely incredible predictive powers at work or it depends upon what the definition of is is.... It's pretty unlikely that U of F did not greyshirt players for instance.

That's interesting, Brutus. He talked around it and never came out and said it, but it's pretty clear what he's talking about.

Actually, it's not clear at all what exactly he was talking about. It's puzzling that he'd come out of retirement to coach a program that currently is being investigated for multiple infractions and has been slapped with the dreaded "lack of institutional control" tag if he indeed left coaching because of a moral dilemma. It's a great narrative but no one outside of the State of Ohio will buy that brand now that the iconic Tressel has had his book placed in the discount bin. He's alway's wanted to coach at OSU and a cash cow like OSU needs a name guy. That's the hire plain and simple.

I wish him luck because the Big Ten is much more interesting with a strong program in Columbus.

Brutus
11-28-2011, 11:54 PM

Apparently not...

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/recruiting-numbers/

As you can see from the chart, only Georgia and Vanderbilt have signed fewer players in the past nine seasons in the SEC. Auburn has been the biggest violator.

Has Meyer oversigned? Perhaps a few times... but clearly it hasn't been done egregiously and likely not with the intent of pushing kids out of the program to make room for recruits.

Brutus
11-28-2011, 11:56 PM
His administration "officially" would not let him. But U of F was never short of 85 scholarship athletes (despite quite a bit of off the field turbulence) so either there was absolutely incredible predictive powers at work or it depends upon what the definition of is is.... It's pretty unlikely that U of F did not greyshirt players for instance.

Actually, it's not clear at all what exactly he was talking about. It's puzzling that he'd come out of retirement to coach a program that currently is being investigated for multiple infractions and has been slapped with the dreaded "lack of institutional control" tag if he indeed left coaching because of a moral dilemma. It's a great narrative but no one outside of the State of Ohio will buy that brand now that the iconic Tressel has had his book placed in the discount bin. He's alway's wanted to coach at OSU and a cash cow like OSU needs a name guy. That's the hire plain and simple.

I wish him luck because the Big Ten is much more interesting with a strong program in Columbus.

Ohio State has not been hit with lack of institutional control. Not sure where you got that info, but it's inaccurate. Further, the investigative portion of the Ohio State infractions is over with. It's in the hands of the committee of infractions to decide whether or not to accept Ohio State's self-imposed sanctions.

jojo
11-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Ohio State has not been hit with lack of institutional control. Not sure where you got that info, but it's inaccurate. Further, the investigative portion of the Ohio State infractions is over with. It's in the hands of the committee of infractions to decide whether or not to accept Ohio State's self-imposed sanctions.

I should have said their program has been hit with the dreaded failure to monitor charge....

westofyou
11-29-2011, 12:12 AM

Maybe Urban himself?

The contract includes $4 million in base salary, bonuses — for everything from players’ graduation rates to playing in a national championship, up to $700,000 annually — and lump payments in 2014, 2016 and 2018. The deal is worth more than three times the $1.32 million that the university’s president, E. Gordon Gee, made in 2010, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

dabvu2498
11-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Apparently not...

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/recruiting-numbers/

As you can see from the chart, only Georgia and Vanderbilt have signed fewer players in the past nine seasons in the SEC. Auburn has been the biggest violator.

Has Meyer oversigned? Perhaps a few times... but clearly it hasn't been done egregiously and likely not with the intent of pushing kids out of the program to make room for recruits.

Well, if he was talking about over-signing, it makes him seem a little hypocritical for ever over-signing at all.

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/tag/urban-meyer/

Brutus
11-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Well, if he was talking about over-signing, it makes him seem a little hypocritical for ever over-signing at all.

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/tag/urban-meyer/

Oversigning by itself isn't a big deal. If you have room for 25 players but you know two additional players are planning to leave, then in reality oversigning to 27 is not a problem. But forcing out players to derive at those numbers is a little different.

The difference between 28 players a year and 23 players a year is significant. That means 10-20 additional players in a 4-year cycle are either leaving or being pushed out the door.

I think to anyone being honest, that signals a clear difference of intent.

It's not the oversigning... it's the oversigning by pushing out kids every year to make way for star recruits they otherwise might not have room to land. That's a little more on the deplorable side.

Brutus
11-29-2011, 12:53 AM
I should have said their program has been hit with the dreaded failure to monitor charge....

Failure to Monitor carries the weight of a postseason ban only about a third of the time. Not sure how dreaded it really is...

A nuisance, sure, but dreaded... typically not.

GAC
11-29-2011, 05:13 AM

And so have I. We're a young team with talent that is going to get better IMO. And I think Mike would also agree.

This is not Fickel's team. This is Jim Tressel's team. Fickel was an interim coach, a representative on Tressel's behalf. It's Tressel's players and Tressel's coaches.

I meant it was Fickel's team in the sense he was chosen by the school to be the HC this year. Everyone, including Fickell himself, knew this was going to be a very difficult year. Especially when you lose several of your star players, and have a new HC. Luke was there for it all, and deserves that bowl game.

The guy who should be coaching the Bucks ASAP is Urban Meyer. Fickel was an interim coach. It is in the best interest of the football program for Meyer to get his system in place for the players and his coaches and to begin recruiting. I want to see Meyer coaching this bowl game.

Allowing Fickell to coach any bowl game is not going to hinder Myer's efforts at recruiting or setting up his system. And it's a moot point anyway because that decision - and the right one too IMO - has already been made to....

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2011/11/luke_fickell_will_remain_on_st.html

Fickell also has one more game left as head coach, at the Buckeyes' bowl game while Meyer focuses on recruiting and putting together his staff. Meyer will attend some bowl practices though, and use that time to get to know his players as well as some of the other assistants.

Good. Fickell has earned and deserves that final game. It's right that Myer's tenure begins afterwards.

Myers is a great coach. We will have plenty of opportunities to see him coach bowl games. Just not this one. ;)

jojo
11-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Failure to Monitor carries the weight of a postseason ban only about a third of the time. Not sure how dreaded it really is...

A nuisance, sure, but dreaded... typically not.

I guess it is appropriate that the standards/expectations surrounding OSU football have changed over the course of the past year. F2M is the second worst charge the NCAA can levee and there was a time when my devout OSU buddies would've been horrified by their team having such a label...

That was the original point-this isn't a morality play by UM

jojo
11-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Oversigning by itself isn't a big deal. If you have room for 25 players but you know two additional players are planning to leave, then in reality oversigning to 27 is not a problem. But forcing out players to derive at those numbers is a little different.

The difference between 28 players a year and 23 players a year is significant. That means 10-20 additional players in a 4-year cycle are either leaving or being pushed out the door.

I think to anyone being honest, that signals a clear difference of intent.

It's not the oversigning... it's the oversigning by pushing out kids every year to make way for star recruits they otherwise might not have room to land. That's a little more on the deplorable side.

Dabvu linked to a situation where U of F seemingly created a scenario in which they signed more players than they could reasonably expect to be able to keep given what they knew at the time of their signing. That is textbook oversigning. Either it's a deplorable practice or it's not. There really isn't room for it being just a little deplorable is there?

Scrap Irony
11-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I have a serious question: Meyer's record with recruits and their off-the-field antics was pretty brutal, especially considering how many incidents that were likely swept under the rug (as Jacksonville is obviously football-crazy and not likely to kill the golden goose).

How many arrests and major crimes were committed by Gator football guys under Meyer's watch? At least 31, IIRC. 25 serious ones.

Does that give any Buckeye fan pause at all?

bucksfan2
11-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Did anyone really believe he was never going to coach again? I think a lot of guys step down and really believe they're done. They learn it's easier said than done. I think it all boiled down to one of the very few jobs he actually coveted being open. This might have been his only chance to have this job, so I'm sure that's why he's back so soon. He said that were it not for this job being open, he would not be coaching next year. I'm sure that's probably true.

I found it odd the second he started to work for ESPN. I realize that broadcasting is a much easier job that coaching, but the amount of tape they watch in order to get ready for a broadcast is pretty substantial. The second he stepped into that booth I thought he was going to return to coaching.

This is easily the most exciting day for Ohio State football since the 2002 national championship.

How quickly you forget two other BCS title game appearances, 6 straight wins over Michigan, 4 BCS Game wins. There were plenty of exciting days over the past decade.

OUReds
11-29-2011, 12:35 PM
I have a serious question: Meyer's record with recruits and their off-the-field antics was pretty brutal, especially considering how many incidents that were likely swept under the rug (as Jacksonville is obviously football-crazy and not likely to kill the golden goose).

How many arrests and major crimes were committed by Gator football guys under Meyer's watch? At least 31, IIRC. 25 serious ones.

Does that give any Buckeye fan pause at all?

Of course it's a concern. Here is a breakdown of the arrests at Florida.

Marijuana - 4
Fighting - 5
Drinking (DUI and underage combined) - 5
Driving (suspended license, etc) - 4
Domestic violence - 4
Felonies - 5

All 4 players charged with domestic violence were dismissed from the team. 4 of the 5 felonies were later either dropped or reduced to misdemeanors, With players disciplined to various degrees (Can Newton was booted for being a rather poor thief).

In general, if you are involved in a violent incident under Meyer, you're gone. If a felony sticks, you're gone. If you swipe a laptop and then throw it out the window when cops show up to search your room, you're gone.

The more troubling issues come with the discipline for the "minor" issues. Carlos Dunlap received a one game suspension for being found passed out in his car. That doesn't send a strong enough signal for my tastes.

Coaches are here to win games. That's just the reality of big time college football. Given that, I'm not going to blame Meyer because he recruits based on traits like speed and toughness instead of honesty and integrity.

For the same reason I'm not shocked that he engaged in some over-signing shenanigans. He was coaching in the SEC, and he wasn't going to put his team at a competitive disadvantage. Expecting him to do otherwise isn't realistic. That doesn't mean he approves of it. That doesn't mean he shouldn't get credit for trying to minimize the negative impact of the practice on his kids.

Frankly, the only thing relevant to OSU right now is that Meyer's program has never, ever, been in trouble with the NCAA, and that he knows how to win football games.

BuckeyeRed27
11-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Good post OU, I agree.

Obviously we don't want to have OSU be Thug U and hopefully that doesn't happen.

Scrap Irony
11-29-2011, 06:02 PM
It did with Meyer in Florida, that's all I'm saying.

I love that he's coming back, as Meyer's style of play is as entertaining as any in college football.

However, Ohio State has, up until this year, always boasted about being both a winning team and winning "the right way".

Meyer doesn't do things the "Ohio State Way".

It's an interesting dichotomy that OSU fans now have to face: do we rail against the dirtiness of big-time college football, or do we hold our noses and dive right in?

With the hire of Meyer, the university has chosen the latter.

The fans seem to be doing the same. At least on this board.

BuckeyeRed27
11-29-2011, 06:42 PM

I love that he's coming back, as Meyer's style of play is as entertaining as any in college football.

However, Ohio State has, up until this year, always boasted about being both a winning team and winning "the right way".

It's an interesting dichotomy that OSU fans now have to face: do we rail against the dirtiness of big-time college football, or do we hold our noses and dive right in?

Well from the sounds of the press conference yesterday Urban was pretty fed up with how things were going at Florida. That probably has a lot to do with the recruiting environment as well as the crap he was putting up with from his own players getting into trouble. He has shown that he will kick people off the team and also that he won't just give up on a player if they make a mistake. I actually think Tressel followed a pretty similar approach with maybe a few less criminal issues. It's obviously not ideal, but I think it's bound to happen.

Scrap Irony
11-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Well from the sounds of the press conference yesterday Urban was pretty fed up with how things were going at Florida. That probably has a lot to do with the recruiting environment as well as the crap he was putting up with from his own players getting into trouble. He has shown that he will kick people off the team and also that he won't just give up on a player if they make a mistake. I actually think Tressel followed a pretty similar approach with maybe a few less criminal issues. It's obviously not ideal, but I think it's bound to happen.

Again, I'm not unhappy that Meyer is back. But the buck pretty much stops with him, does it not? If he didn't like the culture at Florida, he was free to change it, was he not?

OUReds
11-29-2011, 06:58 PM
I am in no way defending Meyer's record of arrests at Florida, it was not acceptable. It wasn't, however, as unusual as you might think. Penn State had 46 players arrested between 2002-2008, Georgia had 33 players arrested between 2007-2010.

Here is a better rundown of every arrest with both the legal outcome and the team punishment. Link (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-17/sports/os-florida-gators-arrests-list-20100915_1_frankie-hammond-second-degree-misdemeanor-charge-misdemeanor-possession)

If your beef is that Meyer was soft on these issues, or that he encouraged them because he wasn't strict enough, then (with a couple of exceptions, see Carlos Dunlap) I don't agree. Meyer is pretty consistent and handed out plenty of tough punishment without regard to player skill. Again, he essentially kicked Cam Newton off the team.

If you think the issue is that he should be more careful about who he recruits, then I suppose you might have a case. "The Ohio State Way" though hasn't been anything other then lip service in a long time. I can't believe anyone at this point thinks Tressel recruited based on character any more then any other big-time coach.

Urban is pretty clearly aware that this was an issue at Florida. He spent some time addressing it at his introduction. I'd like to give him a chance to do better at OSU before I assume he's going to turn the program into Miami North.

Brutus
11-29-2011, 08:07 PM

There are a whole lot of people in the profession that would outright reject that hypothesis. It's not at all corroborated by the weight of the evidence. In fact, known curmudgeon Lloyd Carr said in a radio interview this past spring that Meyer was "one of the real good guys."

But don't just take my word or Lloyd's word for it.

Not only did Meyer clearly not oversign like the SEC brethren, but he has a near spotless track-record with the NCAA in 10 years. Oh, and guess what? Since arriving at Florida, the Gators are second in the entire SEC (only to Vandy) in SEC academic honor roll players.

If that's your definition of not "doing it the right way," I'd be interested in hearing what is required to do so.

Scrap Irony
11-29-2011, 08:17 PM
He DID oversign, Brutus. He just didn't oversign as many as Alabama or LSU.

He recruited a lot of players that got into some serious trouble and garnered a reputation for having an "outlaw" program.

Let's not make Meyer out to be some sort of holy crusader against all that's unholy in big-time football, please. Many of us got enough of that from OSU fans with Tressel.

Meyer is a fantastic coach. He has a fantastic system. (Or at least did while at Florida.) He should, barring an unfortunate setback in his health or a lack of focus brought about by a brush with mortality, make Ohio State a national title contender in short order.

But he's not a paragon of virtue. He did, after all, coach in the SEC.

Scrap Irony
11-29-2011, 08:20 PM
I am in no way defending Meyer's record of arrests at Florida, it was not acceptable. It wasn't, however, as unusual as you might think. Penn State had 46 players arrested between 2002-2008, Georgia had 33 players arrested between 2007-2010.

Here is a better rundown of every arrest with both the legal outcome and the team punishment. Link (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-17/sports/os-florida-gators-arrests-list-20100915_1_frankie-hammond-second-degree-misdemeanor-charge-misdemeanor-possession)

If your beef is that Meyer was soft on these issues, or that he encouraged them because he wasn't strict enough, then (with a couple of exceptions, see Carlos Dunlap) I don't agree. Meyer is pretty consistent and handed out plenty of tough punishment without regard to player skill. Again, he essentially kicked Cam Newton off the team.

If you think the issue is that he should be more careful about who he recruits, then I suppose you might have a case. "The Ohio State Way" though hasn't been anything other then lip service in a long time. I can't believe anyone at this point thinks Tressel recruited based on character any more then any other big-time coach.

Urban is pretty clearly aware that this was an issue at Florida. He spent some time addressing it at his introduction. I'd like to give him a chance to do better at OSU before I assume he's going to turn the program into Miami North.

This makes complete and utter sense.

Were most rabid fans as grounded and intelligent as you.

(I know of many in my neck of the woods, for example, who are not.)

Brutus
11-30-2011, 12:41 AM
He DID oversign, Brutus. He just didn't oversign as many as Alabama or LSU.

He recruited a lot of players that got into some serious trouble and garnered a reputation for having an "outlaw" program.

Let's not make Meyer out to be some sort of holy crusader against all that's unholy in big-time football, please. Many of us got enough of that from OSU fans with Tressel.

Meyer is a fantastic coach. He has a fantastic system. (Or at least did while at Florida.) He should, barring an unfortunate setback in his health or a lack of focus brought about by a brush with mortality, make Ohio State a national title contender in short order.

But he's not a paragon of virtue. He did, after all, coach in the SEC.

Everyone oversigns. You have to. You can't sign at the limit or you'll never fulfill your allotment of players. However, they didn't exactly oversign by much... they averaged 92 players in a 4-year cycle. You take away normal attrition, and that's hardly oversigning. And again, you're conflating oversigning (technically speaking) with pushing players out the door in order to bring in new players. Clearly, since he is actually below the national average in players signed... he's not doing that; or rather if he is, he's doing it a heck of a lot less than most everyone else.

Chip R
11-30-2011, 09:15 AM
I don't think tOSU fans will have to worry about Meyer running afoul of the NCAA. But you didn't really have to worry about Tressel either. The problem will be the boosters and the alumni.

bucksfan2
11-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Its funny, I always looked at Meyer at UF running a rogue program. He had a ton of arrest during his tenure as head coach down there. It was all glossed over because Tebow was the second coming. You heard great stories about Tebow and very little about the arrests. I was upset when Meyer allowed Dunlap to play in the SEC title game after he passed out with his foot on the break of an intersection. I think it was a move solely based upon winning and not about holding your program to higher standards.

Its ironic how things change. At OSU I always thought they held themselves to higher standards than other programs (especially in the south). They promoted how they held a higher academic standard than other football programs. There were stories about Tressel not offering a scholarship to Javon Ringer because they didn't think he would qualify. I liked looking at my Buckeyes through scarlet and grey colored glasses. I like thinking that they hold themselves to higher standards while winning as well. I like to think they don't use SEC tactics in recruiting. I like to think that they don't hire coaches that scream violation like USC did with Kiffen.

As much as I want a clean program I like winning. I am willing to give Meyer the benefit of the doubt. I want winning as well as a program handled with class. At times it becomes too much to handle. I rooted for Terelle Pryor but thought he handled himself like an idiot. I also am excited to see Carlos Dunlap play when he plays for the Bengals. Its amazing what happens when someone you thought was rogue becomes one of your own.

westofyou
11-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Its funny, I always looked at Meyer at UF running a rogue program. He had a ton of arrest during his tenure as head coach down there. It was all glossed over because Tebow was the second coming. You heard great stories about Tebow and very little about the arrests. I was upset when Meyer allowed Dunlap to play in the SEC title game after he passed out with his foot on the break of an intersection. I think it was a move solely based upon winning and not about holding your program to higher standards.

Its ironic how things change. At OSU I always thought they held themselves to higher standards than other programs (especially in the south). They promoted how they held a higher academic standard than other football programs. There were stories about Tressel not offering a scholarship to Javon Ringer because they didn't think he would qualify. I liked looking at my Buckeyes through scarlet and grey colored glasses. I like thinking that they hold themselves to higher standards while winning as well. I like to think they don't use SEC tactics in recruiting. I like to think that they don't hire coaches that scream violation like USC did with Kiffen.

As much as I want a clean program I like winning. I am willing to give Meyer the benefit of the doubt. I want winning as well as a program handled with class. At times it becomes too much to handle. I rooted for Terelle Pryor but thought he handled himself like an idiot. I also am excited to see Carlos Dunlap play when he plays for the Bengals. Its amazing what happens when someone you thought was rogue becomes one of your own.
They spend more money on their football program then any other college, they are (to some) the Yankees of College football.

Kinda ironic eh?

traderumor
11-30-2011, 11:30 AM

As much as I want a clean program I like winning. I am willing to give Meyer the benefit of the doubt. I want winning as well as a program handled with class. At times it becomes too much to handle. I rooted for Terelle Pryor but thought he handled himself like an idiot. I also am excited to see Carlos Dunlap play when he plays for the Bengals. Its amazing what happens when someone you thought was rogue becomes one of your own.I didn't care for Meyer because of his smugness, but my opinion of him had a very shallow basis from the '06 NC events. Buckeyes will now get to know him better. As for judging any coach by the off field behavior of his players, I've never seen that as much of a measuring stick for a coach, not to mention the behavior is often similar to the undergraduate population as a whole, except no one cares if a Business Major is getting a DWI.

traderumor
11-30-2011, 11:31 AM
They spend more money on their football program then any other college, they are (to some) the Yankees of College football.

Kinda ironic eh?Ohio State or Florida?

westofyou
11-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Ohio State or Florida?

OSU spent 35 million on their program last year the most in the NCAA, to me I don't care but find it ironic that do many on this board lambast the Yankees and Sox for doing the same thing in PRO baseball but don't say boo about it happening in College Football.

*BaseClogger*
11-30-2011, 02:13 PM
OSU spent 35 million on their program last year the most in the NCAA, to me I don't care but find it ironic that do many on this board lambast the Yankees and Sox for doing the same thing in PRO baseball but don't say boo about it happening in College Football.

They also have the largest athletic department in the country...

traderumor
11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
OSU spent 35 million on their program last year the most in the NCAA, to me I don't care but find it ironic that do many on this board lambast the Yankees and Sox for doing the same thing in PRO baseball but don't say boo about it happening in College Football.I guess it is hard to understand the connection when you are talking about spending on player salaries vs. program expenses. Plus, the $35M needs some comparison to other programs' spending. Saying its "the most" doesn't say much.

Regardless, it is a loose comparison to the disparity in spending in MLB that is primarily based on market size.

SeeinRed
11-30-2011, 03:28 PM
I guess it is hard to understand the connection when you are talking about spending on player salaries vs. program expenses. Plus, the $35M needs some comparison to other programs' spending. Saying its "the most" doesn't say much.

Regardless, it is a loose comparison to the disparity in spending in MLB that is primarily based on market size.

I see what you are saying, comparing College Football to MLB does not translate very well, but the disparity between the top and bottom of schools in the top six conferences is quite massive, reguardless of what the cause of it is. You have to look no farther than the disparity between spending at OSU to UC. I don't want to speak for WOY, but I think his point is that fans of teams like UC could only dream of an athleteic department that can supply facilities and services like OSU can. It plays huge in the success of OSU in recruiting, which translates to winning more on the field.

In effect, OSU is able to pull in the "big names" just like the Yankees in large part to the money at their disposal, reguardless of whether that money goes directly to the players. Tradition plays pretty big into the equation also, and I don't want anyone to think I'm saying it is all about the spending of the athletic department. The fact of the matter is that many non OSU fans do see the Buckeyes as the Yankees of college football around here. Wether it be because of the money spent, or the jealousy of winning. Success will do that.

Nothing wrong with being envied, which if we are going to be honest is where all the "hatred" is about. Envy over success and resources. Just like the Yankees.

kaldaniels
11-30-2011, 03:52 PM
So for those knocking OSU,

Name your top-5, for lack of a better term "clean" programs who also are successful on the field.

Just curious here.

Puffy
11-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Kinda ironic eh?

Where is Oregon on this list, WOY? Phil Knight spends like crazy for them so just wondering.

Thanks!

Hoosier Red
11-30-2011, 04:12 PM
So for those knocking OSU,

Name your top-5, for lack of a better term "clean" programs who also are successful on the field.

Just curious here.

Oklahoma, Miami, Texas A & M, USC, Oregon

Oh wait you said successful on the field, take Miami and aTm off the list.
;)

kaldaniels
11-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Oklahoma, Miami, Texas A & M, USC, Oregon

Oh wait you said successful on the field, take Miami and aTm off the list.
;)

The sad truth is until a month ago Penn State would be the first name that came to mind.

Roy Tucker
11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ncaa-finances.htm

Data mine to your hearts content. Has data up through 2009-2010.

From foggy memory, I'm pretty sure OSU and Univ. of Texas are the 2 biggies.

MWM
11-30-2011, 05:11 PM
A rogue program because his players got arrested? Really?

At the end of the day, only Urban Meyer knows why he left Florida and why he decided to take the OSU job. But there are lot of conclusions being drawn in this thread that are nothing more interpreting a small amount of facts to suit their own biases.

It's clear he didn't oversign in the way that others do that leads to all the criticism. Some would rather not believe that and that's their prerogative. But there were a lot of off the field issues with his players during his tenure. Some have suggested this cancels any claims he has to doing things the "right way" and contradicts others' suggestions that there was a moral component to his leaving Florida. But it's also possible that this adds credence to those notions as he realized he couldn't control it and didn't want to be a part of that environment. I'm not suggesting that's definitely the case, only that these things occurring while he coached there does not imply that Meyer was a contributor, that he condoned any of it, or that he somehow is unconcerned with ethics in college football.

No one really knows, but people trying to derive his motives from what little we do know and without knowing him personally seems a little silly to me. It's entirely possible there's nothing more to it than he was offered a lot of cash to get back into coaching at a job he always coveted. But it's also possible there are a lot of other factors involved, some of which have been touched on here, that led to his decisions over the past 2 years or so. But only Urban knows the answer.

westofyou
11-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Where is Oregon on this list, WOY? Phil Knight spends like crazy for them so just wondering.

Thanks!

Oregon not even close

But here's a good article

http://m.aol.com/news/default/getContent.do?link=http://www.aolnews.com/2010/06/29/big-spending-ohio-state-could-change-nickname-to-bucks-eyes/

BuckeyeRed27
11-30-2011, 06:17 PM
I really believe a lot of the "problems" some OSU/Big 10 fans have with Urban Meyer is that he beat the crap out of us a few years ago that has led to a lot of people defending not only Ohio State, the Big 10 Conference as a whole. I know that's the only reason I didn't like the guy. The rest of the stuff is just excuses.

gonelong
11-30-2011, 06:53 PM

Apples and Oranges IMO.

The Yankees and Sox get to buy already finished talent and that is where their money gives them an unbelievable edge. If it was just the draft and no free agents, I'd care much less. They'd have to look into their crystal ball and live with their results just like everyone else.

College teams can't just buy players (all jokes aside). Sure the money spent on facilities, coaches, recruiting trips, etc. plays a big part in the talent a team gets. On the other hand, the teams in a lower league don't have to play the schedules teams in the BCS leagues play either.

Heck, you can be a successful MAC team by winning 9-10 games, all against un-ranked opponents, and you get to a bowl game (some years). You really are not competing with OSU, Texas, Alabama, etc. Go undefeated and you just might get a shot at the big time.

What is interesting, and applicable IMO, is that the teams in MLB share revenue, and so do most football conferences. They just don't share outside their conference.

GL

MWM
11-30-2011, 09:41 PM
I really believe a lot of the "problems" some OSU/Big 10 fans have with Urban Meyer is that he beat the crap out of us a few years ago that has led to a lot of people defending not only Ohio State, the Big 10 Conference as a whole. I know that's the only reason I didn't like the guy. The rest of the stuff is just excuses.

I can see that. I'm not wired that way. It made me respect him more. IMO, that game was the most obvious example I can recall of a game being determined by one coach seriously outcoaching the other. Meyer was just on another plane than Tressel. I've been scoffed at for this more than once, but I still hold that OSU was the better team, but was so severely outcoached that Tressel was blindsided and had no answer. Meyer had a month to prepare for that game and it showed. Again, it's just my opinion, but I don't ever remember a game where the scheme was so obvious in watching the game.

I also gained respect for him the way he handled the situation with the reporter who tricked one of his players into saying something that was twisted into a criticism of Tim Tebow. The guy was always looking out for his players. I posted in that thread that I like Meyer and that he seemed like one of the genuinely good guys in college football, and that was while he was still coaching in the SEC and Tressel was still the god of Columbus and looked to be here for another decade.

izzy's dad
12-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Is there a thread for Ohio State Football recruiting? I couldn't find one.

BuckeyeRed27
12-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Is there a thread for Ohio State Football recruiting? I couldn't find one.

This thread would be the place I would think. It is sort of all things Ohio State football.

MWM
12-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, the Gator Bowl is trying really hard to get Ohio State - Florida. My guess is that's what will wind up happening. I'll probably wind up going as I'll have primo seats. I'll just have to find someone to go with me.... :D

Sea Ray
12-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Well, the Gator Bowl is trying really hard to get Ohio State - Florida. My guess is that's what will wind up happening. I'll probably wind up going as I'll have primo seats. I'll just have to find someone to go with me.... :D

Sad that it's gotten to the point where the "New Years Day" Bowl schedule has deteriorated to the point where it now includes a matchup of 6-6 teams...:thumbdown:

bucksfan2
12-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Sad that it's gotten to the point where the "New Years Day" Bowl schedule has deteriorated to the point where it now includes a matchup of 6-6 teams...:thumbdown:

Don't really care. There will be a lot of interest for this game. It won't just be local interest, national as well. I would imagine that this bowl game will draw a ton of interest as well as ratings from two 6-6 teams.

Redsfaithful
12-05-2011, 06:18 PM
They're all exhibition games, completely meaningless, I don't get the hand wringing over "bad" matchups. The only bad matchup is a boring one, like LSU-Alabama.

WVRed
12-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Supposedly Tressel has been linked to UCLA.

Oh how the coaching carousel turns.

BuckeyeRed27
12-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Supposedly Tressel has been linked to UCLA.

Oh how the coaching carousel turns.

I don't see that happening even if Tressel didn't get a show cause, which he is almost guarenteed to get.

WVRed
12-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't see that happening even if Tressel didn't get a show cause, which he is almost guarenteed to get.

Phil Fulmer is being linked to Kansas as well. At this point, I'm starting to wonder if Bobby Bowden is considering coming out of retirement.

KronoRed
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I think UCLA is cursed, there is no reason at all they can't be successful considering where they are, and they just keep treading water.

traderumor
12-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I think UCLA is cursed, there is no reason at all they can't be successful considering where they are, and they just keep treading water.USC is the key player, apparently not enough talent for the both of them?

dabvu2498
12-07-2011, 01:51 PM
USC is the key player, apparently not enough talent for the both of them?

Lots of Southern California kids on Oregon's roster as well. In fact, as Oregon as risen, UCLA has fallen.

texasdave
12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Defensive tackle and ESPNU 150 recruit Tommy Schutt decommitted from Penn State and opted instead for Ohio State on Monday, according to Glenbard West High School (Ill.) coach Chad Hetlet.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncf/story/_/id/7347065/tommy-schutt-changed-commitment-penn-state-nittany-lions-ohio-state-buckeyes

BuckeyeRed27
12-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Yesterday was a big day for recruiting. Picked up both Schutt and Pittman who are both 5* recruits that were also previously commited to other BIG schools. It looks like Urban is going to finish up this class with a bang as there are several other big time recruits visiting.

MWM
12-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Still need offensive lineman.

Brutus
12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Still need offensive lineman.

Kyle Dodson is likely to commit this week to Ohio State. Jordan Diamond will take his visits first, but is likely to end up joining him at some point.

MWM
12-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Noah Spence now commits to Ohio State. That D-Line is going to be sick in a couple of years.....heck, it should be really good next year.

Mario-Rijo
12-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Noah Spence now commits to Ohio State. That D-Line is going to be sick in a couple of years.....heck, it should be really good next year.

Yessir! :thumbup: