PDA

View Full Version : MLBTraderumors looks at the Reds

texasdave
10-26-2011, 06:29 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/offseason-outlook-cincinnati-reds.html

Look for the Reds to be active on the trade market, as GM Walt Jocketty decides whether to use his trade chips and limited payroll flexibility on a front-of-the-rotation starter or a middle-of-the-order bat.

Nice preview of what is ahead for the Reds this off-season.

redsfan1995
10-26-2011, 08:16 PM
The one and only pitcher i would put a big package to get is james shields. hopefully the reds wont have to give up mesaraco

nux fan
10-26-2011, 11:10 PM
jocketty might get really active and deal miguel cairo

LeDoux
10-27-2011, 12:40 PM
The only suprise is that the author anticipates five million for Coco to resign. I would have guessed he wants considerably more.

Whatever the case, I think the best chance for upgrades comes from trades- not FA.

brad1176
10-27-2011, 03:59 PM
The Reds need a veteran presence in the rotation, someone that can show our young pitchers how to prepare, mindsets, etc. I would like to see the Reds sign Roy Oswalt for that purpose. Not to mention, he'll give us good outings. He says the back issues are over with and that he would play for anyone in MLB.

smixsell
10-27-2011, 04:57 PM
I would only go for Oswalt if the price were right. But if it were, would love another veteran presence in the rotation.

Billy Hamilton's Legs
10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
I would only go for Oswalt if the price were right. But if it were, would love another veteran presence in the rotation.

Does anyone have a good idea about what kind of money it would take to sign Roy o?

texasdave
10-27-2011, 06:34 PM
If the price is right for the Reds then someone else will pay more. If that makes any sense.

foxfire123
10-28-2011, 12:58 AM

If only to keep the Cardinals from getting him.....

DaytonFlyer
10-28-2011, 06:10 AM
It's amusing that anyone thinks the Reds might actually pick up anything more significant than a Fred Lewis or Miguel Cairo type. I mean, we haven't done anything for YEARS, now all of a sudden we're going to make some bold moves. It's not happening.

will5979
10-28-2011, 08:07 AM
If only to keep the Cardinals from getting him.....

Why should that matter? They are literally on the verge of winning the World Series.

brad1176
10-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Roy O would cost at minimum 8 million per year for two years. I want to see it happen, but I also realize that it is an extreme long shot for the Reds to sign him. The club has to have a veteran leader. We all saw what happened when Scott Rolen came on board. Look at the numbers when a healthy Rolen is in and what they are when he's out. Votto and Arroyo are not leaders, not meaning to slight them at all, but that's just not who they are.

brm7675
10-28-2011, 11:30 AM
The Reds need a veteran presence in the rotation, someone that can show our young pitchers how to prepare, mindsets, etc. I would like to see the Reds sign Roy Oswalt for that purpose. Not to mention, he'll give us good outings. He says the back issues are over with and that he would play for anyone in MLB.

They have that...his name is Bronson Arroyo

nux fan
10-28-2011, 12:12 PM
good outings are needed not what arroyo does

brad1176
10-28-2011, 01:57 PM
They have that...his name is Bronson Arroyo

Do you seriously believe Arroyo is a leader? The same guy that played guitar so much in the offseason he developed carpal tunnel? Now, don't get me wrong, I like Arroyo. He's a good pitcher that had a bad season due to, in my opinion, never fully recovering from mono. A leader though, he is not.

nux fan
10-28-2011, 03:00 PM
you will soon learn how futile it is to address brm, all you will receive in return is a sophomoric, puerile question

Tuff Nut
10-28-2011, 04:35 PM
you will soon learn how futile it is to address brm, all you will receive in return is a sophomoric, puerile questionAnd God-forbid you try and say anything bad about Stubbs.....Dude has a HUGE man crush on him.

texasdave
10-28-2011, 08:10 PM
To be honest, the Reds need both Arroyo and Stubbs to have big seasons in 2012 if they hope to compete for a playoff spot. If they redux 2011 say goodbye to Dusty.

dMaus14
10-28-2011, 09:11 PM
I am not defending brm nor am I a huge Stubbs fan but I don't really understand the dislike in him. If you take a look at MLB average between Bruce and Stubbs they are pretty much the same. I know he led the MLB in k's this past year but he still registered with a 2.6 WAR and scored 92 runs, which is pretty good. Am I happy he led the MLB in k's? Nope! But he was ranked 7th in MLB CF in the most important offensive category, runs! Also ranked 7th in MLB in SB. I just think people need to understand he's not a leadoff guy so leave him at 6-7, hit .250-.270 with 15-20 HR, play a solid CF and remain relatively cheap for the next 3-4 years. Not to mention why people overvalue him in trade proposals but undervalue him on the field.

As for our "struggling" offense: 4 SS combined to score 60 runs and 6 LF combined to score 119 runs. That's what is holding our offense back and I personally like Cozart but I don't think h is the answer at SS but I hope he proves me wrong.

The Rage
10-29-2011, 09:35 AM
I am not defending brm nor am I a huge Stubbs fan but I don't really understand the dislike in him. If you take a look at MLB average between Bruce and Stubbs they are pretty much the same. I know he led the MLB in k's this past year but he still registered with a 2.6 WAR and scored 92 runs, which is pretty good. Am I happy he led the MLB in k's? Nope! But he was ranked 7th in MLB CF in the most important offensive category, runs! Also ranked 7th in MLB in SB. I just think people need to understand he's not a leadoff guy so leave him at 6-7, hit .250-.270 with 15-20 HR, play a solid CF and remain relatively cheap for the next 3-4 years. Not to mention why people overvalue him in trade proposals but undervalue him on the field.

As for our "struggling" offense: 4 SS combined to score 60 runs and 6 LF combined to score 119 runs. That's what is holding our offense back and I personally like Cozart but I don't think h is the answer at SS but I hope he proves me wrong.

True, but you have to remember, GAB inflates the Reds offense. We were fringe top 10-12. We can do better. Stubbs like Bruce, didn't give the offensive punch this team needed. Why? Considering the attitude of the whole team, looked like to me they didn't work hard enough last offseason. I suspect that won't happen again.

texasdave
10-29-2011, 12:14 PM
A not-too-encouraging article by Mark Sheldon. Just one person's opinion though. Walt might be ready to stand the baseball world on its head.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111025&content_id=25789660&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

With the World Series in the rear-view mirror, the free-agent bonanza is poised to commence around Major League Baseball. Don't expect the Reds to dip much more than their toes into the market's open waters, however.
Free-agent expenditures have been a rarity and payroll flexibility minimal during Reds general manager Walt Jocketty's tenure. Outside of adding complementary pieces, that isn't likely to change.

malcontent
10-29-2011, 04:37 PM
I want no part of Roy Oswalt.

Need to hit on a younger, lower-profile type.

But as long as Toothpick is the manager, nothing else will matter.

Please fast-forward me to 2013.

40YrRedsFan
10-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Oswalt is definitely on the downward side. He will be 35 next season and has a lot of miles
on his arm and body. He also has a near max to maximum effort delivery. We need some younger arms, and a GOOD pitching coach that can develop them. Going the veteran route, especially with pitchers with injury history just doesn't seem to pan out very often.