PDA

View Full Version : Yu Darvish

dunner13
10-27-2011, 03:12 PM
From Espn....
"We haven't heard much, if anything at all, on whether or not the Detroit Tigers or the Chicago Cubs have interest in Darvish, but they spend money and have a need in the rotation. The Reds don't figure to jump into such a bidding war, but the Washington Nationals scouted Darvish several times this season, tweets Amanda Comak."

I think its interesting that we would even be mentioned at all, even if it is saying that we probably wouldn't go after him. Walt came out of nowhere to grab Chapman, you have to wonder if he could do it again with Darvish. Obviously it would take a lot of money and it may very well be unrealistic to think the reds could even come close to that kind of money but if we let cordero go and found someone to take arroyos contract off our hands could it be possible?

Darvish has the potential to be that #1-2 that we need and he doesn't cost any prospects.

cinreds21
10-27-2011, 03:14 PM
I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

RedsManRick
10-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I think the Chapman signing put Cincy on the map, so to speak. That said, I want no part of Darvish at what he's going to cost. Remember, Daisuke was the best pitcher in Japan when he came over as well. The amount of power in MLB compared to Japan makes it a very different game. In Japan, Matt Murton is a legitimate MVP candidate and Hideki Matsui is Hank Aaron.

11larkin11
10-27-2011, 03:36 PM
The thing about Chapman is he was open to negotiate. I want nothing to do with top notch Japanese players due to that insane bidding war just for the right to negotiate.

Scrap Irony
10-27-2011, 04:07 PM
I'd love it if Castellini bought the rights.

I also don't have Castellini's money.

klw
10-27-2011, 09:56 PM
"Me Reds, Yu Darvish"
That bad joke 75 million posting fee and 50 million over 5 years to Mr. Darvish may get it done. Posting fee could actually be over 100 million.

Blitz Dorsey
10-27-2011, 10:40 PM
I think the Chapman signing put Cincy on the map, so to speak. That said, I want no part of Darvish at what he's going to cost. Remember, Daisuke was the best pitcher in Japan when he came over as well. The amount of power in MLB compared to Japan makes it a very different game. In Japan, Matt Murton is a legitimate MVP candidate and Hideki Matsui is Hank Aaron.

This.

Blitz Dorsey
10-27-2011, 10:46 PM
The thing about Chapman is he was open to negotiate. I want nothing to do with top notch Japanese players due to that insane bidding war just for the right to negotiate.

That and the fact that most Japanese League stars fall far short of expectations when they make the jump to MLB. For every Ichiro and Matsui, there are several Dice-K's, Fukudome's, Irabu's, etc.

Also, with the Reds already rolling the dice on Chapman, they won't be able to afford to be in the running for Darvish. If Walt is going to sign a big-money free agent this offseason (which I doubt he does) it will be a proven MLB player IMO.

reds1869
10-28-2011, 01:32 PM
The posting fee is going to be bigger than the Reds' entire payroll.

TRF
10-28-2011, 04:17 PM
There is also Hideo Nomo.

he did not suck.

Scrap Irony
10-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Maybe.

Probably not, IMO.

Both the Yanks and Red Sox have been burned by high profile Asian SP struggles. They may choose to sit this one out.

The Mets and Dodgers have questionable finances, the Phillies don't need him, and neither do the Braves or the Rangers.

Who does that leave among the large markets?

Perhaps the Cubs or White Sox. Maybe the Orioles. The Nats could be a darkhorse, but they've got a sneaky good pitching staff right now. (That's a team with high upside, IMO.)

I could see Miami going big, but there's not a large Asian market in South Florida. They're looking for Cubans and Latinos to sell tickets.

I'm guessing a much lower posting fee and perhaps no deal this season.

Chip R
10-29-2011, 01:20 PM
I don't know how true this still holds since the book was written many years ago but in the book, "You Gotta Have Wa" they said that the Japanese teams work the hell out of their pitchers. They make Dusty look like Sparky. Perhaps they are all right for a short term investment but the workload in Japan could leave them a greater candidate for injury sooner rather than later.

cincinnati chili
10-30-2011, 11:38 PM
This should be a medical decision as much as a baseball decision. If this guy stays healthy, he is a likely perennial all-star. Filthy. He's a much bigger guy than Daisuke or any Japanese player to come to the U.S. His dad is not Japanese FWIW. Little known fact - his parents met while studying abroad in the U.S.

Vottomatic
10-31-2011, 04:00 PM
The posting fee is going to be bigger than the Reds' entire payroll.

And that's ridiculous.

The draft needs to include international players. And it needs to be pre-slotted for pay like the NBA and now the NFL.

We can't have major league teams taking a chance on a wasted investment on players who are unproven as American major leaguers. Lock a bunch of money in a bust. There needs to be some sanity in these dealings.

cincinnati chili
11-02-2011, 01:39 AM
And that's ridiculous.

The draft needs to include international players. And it needs to be pre-slotted for pay like the NBA and now the NFL.

We can't have major league teams taking a chance on a wasted investment on players who are unproven as American major leaguers. Lock a bunch of money in a bust. There needs to be some sanity in these dealings.

You bring up an interesting point. I always assumed that the proposed international draft rule would exempt players over a certain age and/or players who had already played professionally somewhere in the world. Maybe I assumed wrong.

Chip R
12-08-2011, 01:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7329764/hokkaido-nippon-ham-fighters-yu-darvish-wants-play-major-league-baseball-next-season

fearofpopvol1
01-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Going to the Rangers, it appears...

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/34453185

traderumor
01-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Heard the posting fee was $50M, $60M to Darvish over 6 years. A lot of coin on what could amount to a pair of deuces when all's said and done.

Dom Heffner
01-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Heard the posting fee was $50M, $60M to Darvish over 6 years. A lot of coin on what could amount to a pair of deuces when all's said and done.

Yeah, dont get it at all. I'd rather take all that money and throw it at a known entity.

hebroncougar
01-18-2012, 09:27 PM
So, they pay 6 years, $110 million for Darvish, but don't after CJ Wilson at 5, $75?

dougdirt
01-18-2012, 09:55 PM
So, they pay 6 years, $110 million for Darvish, but don't after CJ Wilson at 5, $75?

Age?

hebroncougar
01-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Age?

Doesn't Darvish has a ton of miles on that arm though?

RedsManRick
01-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Let's remember that CJ Wilson is 31 years old and has exactly 2 seasons as a starter under his belt. CJ Wilson isn't exactly Gary Matthews Jr., but Darvish is without a doubt the higher upside guy. When Darvish finishes his Rangers contract, he'll be as old as Wilson is right now.

It's easy to lump in Darvish with Nomo and Matsusaka, but Darvish isn't your typical 6' flat and a lot of deception type. He's built like Roy Halladay and has the stuff of a real MLB ace.

There's definitely an argument against him given the level of Japanese competition and having pitched every 6th day instead of every 5th. But I'll take Darvish at the higher salary.

Phhhl
01-21-2012, 05:00 AM
Really? This is a huge leap of logic by the Rangers. The posting fee for a guy like this ridiculous. I would have gone for Fielder personally.

hebroncougar
01-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Let's remember that CJ Wilson is 31 years old and has exactly 2 seasons as a starter under his belt. CJ Wilson isn't exactly Gary Matthews Jr., but Darvish is without a doubt the higher upside guy. When Darvish finishes his Rangers contract, he'll be as old as Wilson is right now.

It's easy to lump in Darvish with Nomo and Matsusaka, but Darvish isn't your typical 6' flat and a lot of deception type. He's built like Roy Halladay and has the stuff of a real MLB ace.

There's definitely an argument against him given the level of Japanese competition and having pitched every 6th day instead of every 5th. But I'll take Darvish at the higher salary.

Every Japanese pitcher that comes over is the "next big thing", and quite frankly none of them have been near as good as advertised. If darvish is a true ace, and can take the heat of playing in Texas, and be dominant I'd be shocked.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Jpup
01-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Every Japanese pitcher that comes over is the "next big thing", and quite frankly none of them have been near as good as advertised. If darvish is a true ace, and can take the heat of playing in Texas, and be dominant I'd be shocked.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Nomo was pretty darn good. Right?

dougdirt
01-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Really? This is a huge leap of logic by the Rangers. The posting fee for a guy like this ridiculous. I would have gone for Fielder personally.

You are assuming that the Rangers aren't going for Fielder too.

TRF
01-23-2012, 12:05 PM

+1

I'd take a lump of Nomo's in my rotation.

And Darvish isn't built like Oswalt, unless Oswalt suddenly grew 7 inches.

TRF
01-23-2012, 12:06 PM

They had one of the best offenses in baseball, and didn't really lose any offense.

hebroncougar
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Yes. Nomo was the exception. Although, for his career, his era ended up below league average. Just seems to me all of the pitchers from the Japanese League want to nibble, nibble, and end up walking 5 guys per nine innings, and throwing a ton of pitches. I'm not sure I've seen one that trusts their stuff.

dougdirt
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Yes. Nomo was the exception. Although, for his career, his era ended up below league average. Just seems to me all of the pitchers from the Japanese League want to nibble, nibble, and end up walking 5 guys per nine innings, and throwing a ton of pitches. I'm not sure I've seen one that trusts their stuff.
You do have to wonder if it has to do with them being able to throw hittable strikes in Japan, that more often don't get punished like they do here, which then hurts their confidence and leaves them unable to trust their stuff. They play a 144 game schedule in Japan. Last year, two teams hit 100 or more HR's in a season. Only one other team topped 90. One team had 3 more HR's in 144 games than Jose Bautista had last season by himself. Three players had more than 24 HR's last year in the Japanese Leagues. One guy hit 48 (must be the premiere power hitter over there, with three 45+ HR seasons in the past 4 years), while another had 31 (Wlad Balentien) and one guy had 25.

TRF
01-23-2012, 03:28 PM
wlad is going to have a monster second season in Japan. He'll have had a year to adjust to the culture and the language barrier. He's also young enough to have this jumpstart his MLB career.

I really think more guys should consider Japan around age 26.