10-31-2011, 10:22 AM
http://www.bnd.com/2011/10/31/1922787/cards-to-hold-9-am-press-conference.html

lollipopcurve
10-31-2011, 10:23 AM
This helps the Reds.

Hall of Famer.

SirFelixCat
10-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Disgusted me as a fan of a rival, but as much as I dislike(d) him, dude knew how to get a whole lot outta his players.

HOF'er, but doesn't mean I have to like him ;)

reds1869
10-31-2011, 10:24 AM
If I were in his shoes I would retire, too. It will be impossible to top the run his team made the past several months. The man is the definition of a Hall of Fame manager. I won't miss him but I will always appreciate what he accomplished.

10-31-2011, 10:31 AM
I wonder how this effects Pujols.

And most Cardinal fans I know are celebrating this, almost as much as they are celebrating their Championship.

redsfan30
10-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Wonder what, if anything, this will mean for Pujols?

kbrake
10-31-2011, 10:33 AM

And most Cardinal fans I know are celebrating this, almost as much as they are celebrating their Championship.

Lots of Cardinals fans did not like him at all and it will be interesting to see if that tune changes pretty quickly next season.

mdccclxix
10-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Familiarity breeds contempt, I'm sure. Cards fans will be emptying the seats soon enough, once the winning slows down. Look at August, their crowds were dwindling even then. "Best fans in baseball."

kaldaniels
10-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Color me suprised.

kaldaniels
10-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Looking forward to the shorter games (timewise) against the Cards.

RedsBaron
10-31-2011, 10:39 AM

If so, they shouldn't be. I was never a fan of LaRussa but he was a Hall of Fame manager. My gosh, he ranks third on the all time wins list, and would have passed John McGraw for second had he returned next year, and really Connie Mack is only in first place because he was also the A's owner.

Tommyjohn25
10-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Good riddance.

I(heart)Freel
10-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Wonder what, if anything, this will mean for Pujols?

Doesn't change anything... Pujols calls his own hit-and-run's. ;)

CarolinaRedleg
10-31-2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.findmall.com/addon.php?20,module=embed_images,file_id=183431

Tom Servo
10-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Duncan is almost certain to leave then too, right? Now with La Russa gone and his wife still dealing with her health issues.

redsfan30
10-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Duncan is almost certain to leave then too, right? Now with La Russa gone and his wife still dealing with her health issues.

You would think so.

MattyHo4Life
10-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Lots of Cardinals fans did not like him at all and it will be interesting to see if that tune changes pretty quickly next season.

The Cardinals fanbase is split half and half on LaRussa. You either love him or hate him...few are in the middle. I really don't think that the ones who hate him will ever change their mind. They have 16 years fo reasons for hating him. If the Cardianls lose next year, then they will jsut dislike the new manager as well. I doubt it will change their opinion of LaRussa if 2 World Championships haven't already changed their minds.

HokieRed
10-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Hope he decides he needs to get back into the game just about the time the Reds figure out Dusty is not the answer.

Degenerate39
10-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Good bye. So long. Fair well.

Watch the adult beverages.

WVRed
10-31-2011, 11:24 AM
I think the one thing that is always overlooked in LaRussa's managerial career besides the arrogance and the micromanaging is how his teams in Oakland and even in St Louis were always the center of the steroid and HGH era. Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire both played under LaRussa and at times I wonder how clean Pujols is just by association.

Even then, at one point I remember reading how St Louis was always regarded as the "Southern Gentlemen" of baseball, especially during the days of Stan Musial. Cardinals fans were generally respected throughout baseball, and it seems with LaRussa at the helm they were a team that everybody loved to hate.

I think Tony comes back after taking a year or two off. I doubt he passes Connie Mack but a new challenge as well as passing John McGraw for second on the all time wins list is a possibility. This current Cardinals team won the World Series at improbable odds, but the team is not built for long-term success (even moreso if Pujols leaves) and Tony knows it. If Mattingly can't get it done, the Dodgers are a possibility.

With that said, is Jose Oquendo the top choice to replace LaRussa? Terry Francona? It will be interesting to see if the Cardinals stay in-house or if they go after a big name manager again.

remdog
10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Maybe the Reds can trade Dusty to the Cards. :)

Rem

Sea Ray
10-31-2011, 11:44 AM

I wonder how this effects Duncan. His influence extends to an entire pitching staff. I know he's got one more year on his contract but as a Reds fan I'd love to see Duncan move on

Tom Servo
10-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Even then, at one point I remember reading how St Louis was always regarded as the "Southern Gentlemen" of baseball, especially during the days of Stan Musial. Cardinals fans were generally respected throughout baseball, and it seems with LaRussa at the helm they were a team that everybody loved to hate.

I really don't think I'll hate them as much anymore now that La Russa is gone, and Albert the Destroyer is possibly gone as well.

oneupper
10-31-2011, 11:57 AM
I think the one thing that is always overlooked in LaRussa's managerial career besides the arrogance and the micromanaging is how his teams in Oakland and even in St Louis were always the center of the steroid and HGH era. Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire both played under LaRussa and at times I wonder how clean Pujols is just by association.

Not to mention Rick Ankiel and his HGH use, which was only uncovered through his supply chain and not testing.

There has been no HGH era, because HGH still goes undetected by current testing methods. You can still use it and get away with it, just make sure your supplier doesn't get caught.

LaRussa is (or has been) "win at any cost". Reminds me of the Sensei of the Cobra Kai dojo from "Karate Kid". Nothing would surprise me about him.

"Sweep his leg, Johnny".

mdccclxix
10-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Pujols, 35 million dollar player manager?

George Anderson
10-31-2011, 12:04 PM
When is he eligible for Cooperstown?

bucksfan2
10-31-2011, 12:07 PM
I never could stand TLR as a manager. He was a guy who thought very highly of himself and made games drag on for ever. The pitching changes and the constant over managing made me change the channel.

But you can't deny that TLR came up with maybe the two most improbable championships in history with the Cards. Maybe its karma for his failure to win more with the bash brother A's. I am glad he is retiring not only because he is a good manager but because I grew tired of watching games in which he managed.

fearofpopvol1
10-31-2011, 02:07 PM
I think this move gives Pujols less of a reason to stay...but then again, maybe it doesn't have an impact at all.

TLR was a great manager, but I also think he was a dirty manager and a whiner. And I think TLR absolutely outmanaged Dusty every time the Cards would play the Reds, so in that respect, I'm glad he's leaving.

fearofpopvol1
10-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Oops...d/p

RBA
10-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Sad. An End of an Era.

The Juicing Era where the manager turns a blind eye.

George Anderson
10-31-2011, 03:29 PM
La Russa's retirement means three record-setting managers Bobby Cox, Joe Torre and La Russa will be eligible for Hall of Fame consideration for the first time by the Expansion Era Committee in 2013. It could result in a memorable Class of 2014.

http://baseballhall.org/news/history/'14-and-counting

RedsBaron
10-31-2011, 05:00 PM
La Russa's retirement means three record-setting managers Bobby Cox, Joe Torre and La Russa will be eligible for Hall of Fame consideration for the first time by the Expansion Era Committee in 2013. It could result in a memorable Class of 2014.

http://baseballhall.org/news/history/'14-and-counting

All three should go in easily. I like Joe Torre. I'm not crazy about the other two but all three merit induction.

marcshoe
10-31-2011, 05:04 PM
I propose a new HOF rule: Larussa cannot go in until Mark McGwire is elected.

10-31-2011, 05:42 PM
I propose a new HOF rule: Larussa cannot go in until Mark McGwire is elected.

To be honest, if you're not voting for guys because you think they used steroids, then you can't vote for LaRussa either.

redsfandan
10-31-2011, 06:24 PM
I really don't think I'll hate them as much anymore now that La Russa is gone, and Albert the Destroyer is possibly gone as well.

I know what you mean but they still have Carpenter.

membengal
10-31-2011, 06:37 PM
To be honest, if you're not voting for guys because you think they used steroids, then you can't vote for LaRussa either.

I think that was the point tixe was making.

Captain Hook
10-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Ding Dong!The Witch is dead.Which old Witch?The Wicked Witch?Ding Dong!The Wicked Witch is dead!

Well I guess he just retired but I'm celebrating.

The Operator
10-31-2011, 10:01 PM
I know what you mean but they still have Carpenter.And Molina.

15fan
10-31-2011, 10:07 PM
LaRussa spelled backwards starts with a-s-s.

IslandRed
10-31-2011, 10:27 PM

Not that I'm a fan of LaRussa, but I don't get that argument unless you have evidence that LaRussa was the one who turned them onto the PEDs. If it's just guilt by association, then you're arguing that no managers or baseball executives in the last 25 years can go into the Hall of Fame, since they no doubt had juicers on their team at some point and the next one to turn in one of their own players will be the first.

10-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Not that I'm a fan of LaRussa, but I don't get that argument unless you have evidence that LaRussa was the one who turned them onto the PEDs. If it's just guilt by association, then you're arguing that no managers or baseball executives in the last 25 years can go into the Hall of Fame, since they no doubt had juicers on their team at some point and the next one to turn in one of their own players will be the first.

LaRussa's A's started the PED culture. He brought that culture (and McGwire) with him to St. Louis. When I think PED's and manager, I think LaRussa.

There is no question that he knew of the PED use in both clubhouses(despite his absurd denials). The only question is how much he encouraged it. Cheating to win is in his blood.

MikeThierry
10-31-2011, 11:35 PM
LaRussa's A's started the PED culture. He brought that culture (and McGwire) with him to St. Louis. When I think PED's and manager, I think LaRussa.

There is no question that he knew of the PED use in both clubhouses(despite his absurd denials). The only question is how much he encouraged it. Cheating to win is in his blood.

If you are going to hold LaRussa to these ridiculous standards, no manager in the steroid era deserves to go into the HOF, including Cox and Torre. This was a baseball wide issue not just relegated to one or two managers. I also don't see how you can keep a guy out of the HOF for stuff that A. other players did independent of his knowledge and B. because there was no standard in baseball set up to to deal with steroids. For example, the stuff that McGwire took was not punishable, at the time, by the rules of baseball. The only way LaRussa can be punished on this issue is if he bought the roids and injected or had someone inject them into the players himself.

I am going to be interested in seeing who takes over this job. I know some people are pushing for Oquendo but I don't think this job can be given to a first year manager. They need to get someone with experience and who has had some sort of success. Francona or Maddon are my top two guys. I know Maddon is under contract for next year but I feel they can work something out with Tampa Bay.

I wish all the luck to TLR in his retirement. I will never forget the success and championships he brought to St. Louis.

MikeThierry
10-31-2011, 11:38 PM
It also amazes me the "outrage" on this forum over the PED use under LaRussa when the Reds current manager has some real creditability issues in this department. If you all are going to be fair about it, call for Dusty Baker's head as well.

Slyder
10-31-2011, 11:51 PM
NA NA NA HEY HEY - CRAZY FROG - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKR0l7odlVI&feature=related)

Goodbye to one of the most pissy people in baseball. Too bad he can't take the rest of the garbage with him (Crissy, Duncan, and the rest).

Slyder
10-31-2011, 11:52 PM
Hope he decides he needs to get back into the game just about the time the Reds figure out Dusty is not the answer.

Please God no. He is the ONE person that I would trade my Reds fan card if he has ANY position with the organization.

Slyder
11-01-2011, 12:09 AM
It also amazes me the "outrage" on this forum over the PED use under LaRussa when the Reds current manager has some real creditability issues in this department. If you all are going to be fair about it, call for Dusty Baker's head as well.

I've always felt that both Dusty and LaRussa were overrated choke artists. LaRussa got his act together in the playoffs lately but to have by far 3 of the better teams and choke in the series twice in the late 80s and 90(Gibby's shot heard round the world, and getting not just beat but SWEPT by some upstarts in the Queen City). Something has to give. Not to mention didn't he or a bunch of his A's players start the all too familiar cry fest afterwards with "the better team didn't win" *pull out a tissue* or something like that?

I've long since thought that both won on the west coast by letting the inmates run the assylum and act in shock when accusations of the stars arose as if they hadn't spent a single day in the locker room. Whether this year was a return to form, luck, or Mac bringing the "stuff" I don't know.

MikeThierry
11-01-2011, 12:20 AM
I've always felt that both Dusty and LaRussa were overrated choke artists. LaRussa got his act together in the playoffs lately but to have by far 3 of the better teams and choke in the series twice in the late 80s and 90(Gibby's shot heard round the world, and getting not just beat but SWEPT by some upstarts in the Queen City). Something has to give. Not to mention didn't he or a bunch of his A's players start the all too familiar cry fest afterwards with "the better team didn't win" *pull out a tissue* or something like that?

I've long since thought that both won on the west coast by letting the inmates run the assylum and act in shock when accusations of the stars arose as if they hadn't spent a single day in the locker room. Whether this year was a return to form, luck, or Mac bringing the "stuff" I don't know.

Its not like it is easy to win a World Series, especially in the era of the Wild Card. Winning half of the World Series that he has been too certainly shouldn't be looked down upon. He had some good teams but in playoff baseball, anything can happen. The 04 Cardinals were one of the most dominant teams of the 2000's but just ran into a Red Sox team that looked like a team of destiny. I don't think any NL team could have beat that Red Sox team the way it was playing.

MikeThierry
11-01-2011, 03:03 AM
By the way, I think this article points out one of the reasons why LaRussa is not liked by a lot of people. His friendship with one of the most despicable, disgusting, and horrible figures in North American sports almost makes me not like TLR that much:

http://www.nesn.com/2011/10/bill-belichick-wears-tony-la-russa-jersey-inside-locker-room-proclaims-go-cards-in-anticipation-of-g.html

Ron Madden
11-01-2011, 03:17 AM
Sad. An End of an Era.

The Juicing Era where the manager turns a blind eye.

Ya mean like when Dusty Baker Managed Barry Bonds in San Francisco and Sammy Sosa in Chicago?

GAC
11-01-2011, 04:30 AM
If you are going to hold LaRussa to these ridiculous standards, no manager in the steroid era deserves to go into the HOF, including Cox and Torre. This was a baseball wide issue not just relegated to one or two managers.

I fully agree. There's a lot people can go after LaRussa for, as far as character and personality; but to try and throw this at him is pretty petty and way off base.

I've come to realize that throughout history, a vast majority of those that succeeded in baseball, and sports in general, whether a player or manager (coach), that are identified as winners, driven competitors that winning at all costs is what matters most, weren't the most "likable" people. And that's putting it mildly. All that matters is the results (and championships).

And LaRussa was no exception.

To those of us who are "olders" Red fans.... what about Tommy Lasorda? ;)

And from the football side? How about guys like Vince Lombardi, Woody Hayes, and especially Paul Brown?

oneupper
11-01-2011, 06:35 AM
The thread says LaRussa, not Baker or Cox or anyone else.
Was TLR "willfully blind" to rampant PED use on his teams? Hard to say no.
Was he an "enabler" for PED use? Almost impossible to tell. My gut feeling says yes.

The same could be true for Baker, but this thread is not about him.
I dislike these "yeah Hitler was bad, but Genghis Khan was worse" arguments.

LaRussa is the product of an era that needs to end.

RBA
11-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Ya mean like when Dusty Baker Managed Barry Bonds in San Francisco and Sammy Sosa in Chicago?

Exactly. Dusty should be gone too.

redsmetz
11-01-2011, 08:01 AM

That's sort of a way of life around these parts, isn't it?

Sea Ray
11-01-2011, 09:26 AM
If this thread is about LaRussa's character then it's only fair to include the great work he's done for animals

http://www.arf.net/

marcshoe
11-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Since it seemingly has to be said, I also don't believe that Dusty Baker should go into the Hall of Fame before Barry Bonds.

Or Bobby Bonds, for that matter. Or Ward Bond. Or Gary Ward.

RBA
11-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Since it seemingly has to be said, I also don't believe that Dusty Baker should go into the Hall of Fame before Barry Bonds.

:thumbup:

CySeymour
11-01-2011, 03:55 PM

What about Ward Cleaver?

Matt700wlw
11-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Ward Burton? Burt Ward?

George Anderson
11-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Maybe I am overreacting but couldn't LaRussa of waited a week or so before announcing his decision?? It seems like all the attention, focus and glory of the Cards winning the WS is being over shadowed by him retiring.

But then again, that is LaRussa.

REDREAD
11-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Not sure I get the logic here.
Hyptothetical: What if we found out tommorrow that Dibble used steriods?
Should that hurt Pinella's chances of getting into the HOF?

The owners new that steriods were being used, and enabled it because the HR records made everyone richer. The owners did nothing concrete about roid abuse until they were pretty much forced to.

Guys like LaRussa, Towers, Beane, Epstein, etc should not take the fall because the owners created an environment that caused roid abuse to flourish.

RedsBaron
11-01-2011, 06:13 PM

Hey I liked Ward Bond. He seemed to be in every movie made between 1935 and 1960. ;)

11-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Not sure I get the logic here.
Hyptothetical: What if we found out tommorrow that Dibble used steriods?
Should that hurt Pinella's chances of getting into the HOF?

The owners new that steriods were being used, and enabled it because the HR records made everyone richer. The owners did nothing concrete about roid abuse until they were pretty much forced to.

Guys like LaRussa, Towers, Beane, Epstein, etc should not take the fall because the owners created an environment that caused roid abuse to flourish.

The logic is not that any manager who managed a PED user shouldn't get into the HOF. The logic is that LaRussa = PED's.

He didn't just have a few players who used, he managed the two teams who during his tenure, epitomized the steroid era. He didn't just let it happen, he enabled it, and most likely encouraged it, in both clubhouses, for decades.

MikeThierry
Maybe I am overreacting but couldn't LaRussa of waited a week or so before announcing his decision?? It seems like all the attention, focus and glory of the Cards winning the WS is being over shadowed by him retiring.

But then again, that is LaRussa.

This seems a bit nit picky in my opinion. The Cards need to fill the manager position as soon as possible considering the other huge thing they have to do in the off season. Plus, he decided to do this in August and there was no point in him putting it off any longer.

MikeThierry
The logic is not that any manager who managed a PED user shouldn't get into the HOF. The logic is that LaRussa = PED's.

He didn't just have a few players who used, he managed the two teams who during his tenure, epitomized the steroid era. He didn't just let it happen, he enabled it, and most likely encouraged it, in both clubhouses, for decades.

The Spanish Inquisition would be proud. The whole issue of PED's is turning into that where speculation reigns supreme instead of any real facts on the issue.

WVRed
11-01-2011, 06:51 PM
This seems a bit nit picky in my opinion. The Cards need to fill the manager position as soon as possible considering the other huge thing they have to do in the off season. Plus, he decided to do this in August and there was no point in him putting it off any longer.

I don't think its a big deal. Anybody who watched the Cardinals at all this season or at least the World Series knows that LaRussa's health hasn't been the greatest this season. Same with Dave Duncan, who I also expect to follow LaRussa into the sunset.

I don't see Francona taking the job either. If the Cardinals do talk to him, the Cubs would instantly fire Quade and hire him just to keep him away from St Louis. If the Cards get into a bidding war, what message does that send to Albert? I think its Joe Maddon, and the Cards can work out a compensation package for the Rays (maybe even trade Oquendo for Maddon).

The Spanish Inquisition would be proud. The whole issue of PED's is turning into that where speculation reigns supreme instead of any real facts on the issue.

I prefer the Jim Tressel approach. :) Both LaRussa and Tressel are similar in that regard.

MikeThierry
11-01-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't think its a big deal. Anybody who watched the Cardinals at all this season or at least the World Series knows that LaRussa's health hasn't been the greatest this season. Same with Dave Duncan, who I also expect to follow LaRussa into the sunset.

I don't see Francona taking the job either. If the Cardinals do talk to him, the Cubs would instantly fire Quade and hire him just to keep him away from St Louis. If the Cards get into a bidding war, what message does that send to Albert? I think its Joe Maddon, and the Cards can work out a compensation package for the Rays (maybe even trade Oquendo for Maddon).

I prefer the Jim Tressel approach. :) Both LaRussa and Tressel are similar in that regard.

I think Dave Duncan is the biggest wild card of the whole thing. He is still under contract but his wife is dealing with cancer and it certainly took a toll on him this season. I would love for the Cards to get Maddon or Francona.

oneupper
11-01-2011, 08:35 PM
The Spanish Inquisition - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4)

11-01-2011, 08:38 PM

I defended Pete Rose until the day he confessed, so I understand your position. Lol

There are plenty of facts. I suggest you start here:

http://www.amazon.com/Juicing-Game-Drugs-League-Baseball/dp/0670034452

MattyHo4Life
11-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I think Dave Duncan is the biggest wild card of the whole thing. He is still under contract but his wife is dealing with cancer and it certainly took a toll on him this season. I would love for the Cards to get Maddon or Francona.

According to his son Chris Duncan, Dave Duncan still wants to be the pitching coach in 2012. As long as the new manager wants him to stay.

westofyou
11-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Hey I liked Ward Bond. He seemed to be in every movie made between 1935 and 1960. ;)

A great John Ford role player.

REDblooded
11-02-2011, 12:51 AM

I'm pretty sure we have.. Multiple times.

WVRedsFan
11-02-2011, 12:54 AM
As much as he was dissed here, he was the reason for the Cardinal success, like it or not. I'm glad to see him go. As for their future? There is no doubt. They have the money and make the right moves. Unlike our Reds. Money is one thing, but the right moves have to be made. And that would start with personnel. The Cardinals seem to do that. Will the Reds?

REDblooded
11-02-2011, 12:54 AM

So it couldn't have been determined privately, with him announcing it publicly a week or two later?

Sorry... Not buying the reasoning.

MikeThierry
11-02-2011, 01:41 AM
I'm pretty sure we have.. Multiple times.

From the things I have read, people wanting to get rid of Baker was mainly due to "incompetent management" on the field rather than anything to do with PED's.

So it couldn't have been determined privately, with him announcing it publicly a week or two later?

Sorry... Not buying the reasoning.

Just give the conspiracy theory stuff a rest. I've said it here before, he is such a despised character that for some people, everything he does has a motive. If he looked at someone wrong during a press conference, there are some people on here and in other baseball forums who thought that he had an ulterior motive in doing that. In a way, I'm glad that he has decided to hang it up so people can actually talk about the stuff that goes on, on the field, rather than have discussions about the ulterior motive of what he does here and what he does there. Kind of gets old.

remdog
11-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Actually Mike, you're the one that should give it a rest.

Rem

MikeThierry
11-02-2011, 01:52 AM

Rem

Thank you for your advice, RedsZone police guy, but if people are still talking about it, it is a topic worthy of discussion. That said, is there any other threads you want me to comment on or not comment on? You've seemed to have taken well to your new role of pseudo moderator.

RBA
11-02-2011, 12:37 PM

Rem

:thumbup:

RBA
11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/images/logo_main.gif

The Operator
11-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I can't believe this is rearing it's head in yet another thread, but here goes.

The stance of the site admins has conistently been that fans of other teams are welcome so long as they follow the rules,. In fact, there are several prominent RZ members who are fans of other teams and no one gives them trouble, probably because they aren't Cardinal fans.

So I will say this. Mike is a member of the ORG, meaning he went up for a vote and did well enough that he gained access - which isnt the easiest thing to do. If some of you have a problem with who is and who isn't an ORG member, I encourage you to become more involved in the new member voting process. Maybe that way the polls wouldn't drag on and on due to lackof enough voters.

But anyway, Mike made it and he's following the rules. If you think he's breaking the rules, by all means report the post in question and we'll look into it. The fact that that hasn't been happening even a little bit tells me that more than likely most of you that are giving him grief just don't like sharing your sandbox with a Cardinal fan. But you're gonna have to deal with it as long as he is abiding by the site's guidelines.

savafan
11-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Does Larussa get to manage the NL team at next year's all-star game, or would that honor fall to the next Cardinal manager?

MikeThierry
11-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Does Larussa get to manage the NL team at next year's all-star game, or would that honor fall to the next Cardinal manager?

hmm... I don't know. If Selig was smart, he would bring LaRussa back as a one time thing.

fearofpopvol1
11-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Francona interviews with Cards:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7208769/report-terry-francona-interviews-st-louis-cardinals-job

I would feel ill if Francona went to the Cards.

George Anderson
11-09-2011, 08:49 AM
It would be the next Cards manager. I believe the same thing happened with the yankees during the George and Billy days.

Ron Madden
11-11-2011, 03:21 AM
Francona interviews with Cards:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7208769/report-terry-francona-interviews-st-louis-cardinals-job

I would feel ill if Francona went to the Cards.

I hope Francona gets the job. I believe it would be beneficial to the Reds.

I respect Francona but he didn't have much success the last time he was at the helm of a NL Club.

redsmetz
01-25-2012, 05:14 AM
The AP is reporting that LaRussa will manage the National League squad in this year's All Star game. It's only the second time that a retired manager will lead the game (although I think MLB quibbles since Danny Murtaugh retired after '71, but came back later to manage again). John McGraw was the other, managing the first All Star game in 1933.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/tony-la-russa-set-to-become-second-retired-manager-to-work-all-star-game/2012/01/24/gIQApTblOQ_story.html

RedFanAlways1966
01-25-2012, 07:10 AM
The AP is reporting that LaRussa will manage the National League squad in this year's All Star game. It's only the second time that a retired manager will lead the game (although I think MLB quibbles since Danny Murtaugh retired after '71, but came back later to manage again). John McGraw was the other, managing the first All Star game in 1933.

I do not agree with this decision. If you are not currently managing the team you took there, then you should not be allowed to manage in the All-Star Game. Kind of makes that home-field advantage thing even dumber when you allow someone to manage one of the squads who is not an active manager.

redsmetz
01-25-2012, 07:18 AM
I do not agree with this decision. If you are not currently managing the team you took there, then you should not be allowed to manage in the All-Star Game. Kind of makes that home-field advantage thing even dumber when you allow someone to manage one of the squads who is not an active manager.

Regarding your second point, you can't make the "home field" rule anymore idiotic than it is.

But, as the article notes, it's not without precedent, not to mention from the very first game. Do you really think that LaRussa's going to be half-hearted in his managing? I don't think it's really in his DNA. And, as it should be, it's an honorific, plain & simple. Bigger fish to fry, idiotic "home field" rule notwithstanding.

MikeThierry
01-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Regarding your second point, you can't make the "home field" rule anymore idiotic than it is.

But, as the article notes, it's not without precedent, not to mention from the very first game. Do you really think that LaRussa's going to be half-hearted in his managing? I don't think it's really in his DNA. And, as it should be, it's an honorific, plain & simple. Bigger fish to fry, idiotic "home field" rule notwithstanding.

I think part of it is to give LaRussa an official retirement from baseball. He announced his retirement the day after the parade and took everyone by surprise. It wasn't like Bobby Cox in which everyone knew he was retiring and got his last swan song in all the visiting ball parks he went to. There is some talk that he is going to be bringing Duncan back. It will be nice to see those two reunited one last time. LaRussa gave up 30+ years of his life to the game and should be given this one last opportunity, whether you like him or not.

Plus managing this game has always been the privaledge of the two champions of the respected league. If the Cardinals influence MLB to allow LaRussa manage the game, who is the league to deny them that opportunity. The Cards and Rangers earned the chance to manage that game.

Also, this game is going to be in KC. It only makes sense to have him manage this game considering it's across the state from the ballclub he managed for 16+ years. There will be a lot of Cards fans at this year's All Star Game.