PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Brackman

Benihana
11-01-2011, 04:48 PM
became a FA today after the Yankees didn't pick up his option. I wonder if the Reds will give the hometown kid a minor league deal and a shot in ST? Couldn't hurt as long as the cost is negligible.

mdccclxix
11-01-2011, 04:55 PM
He could be good as a reliever, I'd love to see this.

mdccclxix
11-01-2011, 04:56 PM
From McAllister's blog:

The Yankees declined the option on Andrew Brackman today. The 25-year old RHP becomes a free agent. If I'm the Reds I'm placing a call. Low risk/possbile reward.
He's the 6'10 former Moeller/North Carolina State product. He was a first round pick in 2007. He's been hurt. He's been wild. But he had some success at the end of 2011 when he was moved into the bullpen. I'd offer him a shot and give him to Ted Power.
Last 9 appearances at AAA after moving to pen:
20.1 innings, 11 H, 3 ER, 6 BB, 19 K, .151 BAA.
Last 5 appearances: 12 innings, 7 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 7 K.

cinreds21
11-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I would be OK with that. A Louisville bullpen of Christiani, Brackman and Boxberger would be nice.

dougdirt
11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
I would take a chance on him as a minor leaguers, but I wouldn't think about giving him an MLB deal. The stuff is still there at times, which means it is still there. Maybe a new pitching coach can get the right thing to click in his head. There is a pretty big reward there if someone can get the full potential out of him.

Scrap Irony
11-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Brackman as a reliever? Cool.

Brackman as a AAAA starter filler? Nope.

medford
11-01-2011, 05:20 PM
agreed, minor league deal and ST invite. I'll assume there's no one out there willing to give him a ML contract, but probably plenty willing to do a minor league contract and ST invite. Perhaps being a hometown kid favors the Reds, though bullpen depth may factor more into the question w/ an eye on his odds of making the ML team.

Gallen5862
11-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Jockerty said on WLW tht the Reds have already contacted Andrew Brackman today. Hopefully something gets worked out.

lollipopcurve
11-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Jockerty said on WLW tht the Reds have already contacted Andrew Brackman today. Hopefully something gets worked out.

Good.

Brackman has upside. He's an athlete, and he's 6'10". That's a 25-year-old you take a chance on, even with a 40-man spot, if that's what it takes. Easy call.

Tom Servo
11-02-2011, 08:05 AM
But did Jocketty contact him? ;)

Benihana
11-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Too bad Jared Burton declared for FA, Reds could've had the Killer B's in the Backend of the Bullpen: Burton-Boxberger-Brackman.

bucksfan2
11-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Too bad Jared Burton declared for FA, Reds could've had the Killer B's in the Backend of the Bullpen: Burton-Boxberger-Brackman.

In Louisville?

Edd Roush
11-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I posted this in the Minor League forum yesterday:

I have followed Drew's career very closely since he attended my high school and he is related to one of my very good freinds.

I would love for the Reds to take a flyer on Drew just because he is a local boy, but I really hold no expectations for him ever developing into a useful pitcher.

His BB/9 this past year (in 96 IP) was 7.0 and his K rate shrank to 7.0. A K:BB ratio of 1 is not going to cut it. Furthermore, I watched both of his outings in the bigs last September and I could tell from that video that his stuff just isn't the same as it was in high school. His velocity was barely breaking 90 after he used to touch triple digits.

Unfortunately, he just isn't the same guy the Yankees drafted in the first round. If he wasn't a local guy who I knew, I don't think there is a way I would want the Reds to waste their time on him, but maybe a change of scenery can help him out. His 2010 numbers were passable 8.1 K/9, 2.5 BB/9 in 140.2, but last year was disheartening to say the least.

Benihana
12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
became a FA today after the Yankees didn't pick up his option. I wonder if the Reds will give the hometown kid a minor league deal and a shot in ST? Couldn't hurt as long as the cost is negligible.

Exactly six weeks (to the day) later...
http://twitter.com/#!/JonHeymanCBS/status/146636347443126274

Kc61
12-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Yeah, B for Bombardment.