PDA

View Full Version : And could this be the Reds next closer?

brm7675
11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
24. FRANCISCO RODRIGUEZ, RHP
K-Rod is the best of the available closers. Prediction: Cincinnati, three years, $38 million.

Cardinal_Fan
11-01-2011, 05:54 PM
I can't imagine Cincinnati signing that deal, especially with WJ at the helm now. Starting pitching is the need and frankly a better bang for your buck.

R_Webb18
11-01-2011, 06:16 PM
ur speading 38 m on closer rotflmao

redsfanmia
11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I still say the next closer should be Bronson

mr. red
11-01-2011, 08:16 PM
24. FRANCISCO RODRIGUEZ, RHP
K-Rod is the best of the available closers. Prediction: Cincinnati, three years, $38 million.

Would never happen.

Nathan
11-02-2011, 08:47 PM
According to who?

Why not just resign Cordero for that $? After all, they were glad to get out from that huge contract they signed a closer to. Whoever posted that is really not that smart.

izzy's dad
11-02-2011, 09:51 PM
I will give myself a Columbian necktie if this happens. I am not going to blow my wad on a guy that was a good closer but cant even take John Axefords job now. Why give a ton of money to a pitcher that pitches around 60 innings a season. Go cheap, or from within and spend that money elsewhere. Isn't this guy kind of a jerk anyway? I will PASS.

nux fan
11-02-2011, 10:30 PM
dont sign closers, grow them internally, copy what the cards do, signing closers is for suckers

texasdave
11-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Reds GM Walt Jocketty told Fay that he remains hopeful that the team can reach a deal with Francisco Cordero. Jocketty nearly arrived at an agreement with the closer earlier this week, but the sides didn't agree to terms and the Reds declined their option on Cordero.

LeDoux
11-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Reds GM Walt Jocketty told Fay that he remains hopeful that the team can reach a deal with Francisco Cordero. Jocketty nearly arrived at an agreement with the closer earlier this week

Bad news.

but the sides didn't agree to terms and the Reds declined their option on Cordero.

Good news.

R_Webb18
11-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Bad news.

Good news.

not rly

RedsFanIN
11-03-2011, 04:41 AM
If the Reds are going to spend that kind of money on a closer I would rather them spend it on Ryan Madison. Not a big fan of K-Rod. I think a better solution would be to sign Broxton to a 1 year contract (heavy on incentives) and let him bridge the gap to Boxberger.

alett12
11-03-2011, 10:54 AM
not gonna happen the reds next closer will be someone in the orginization i have a feeling
1. Masset
2. Ondruseck
3. Boxberger
4. Bray
5. Chapman
6. Homeer Bailey (if he is yet again struck with injury)

nux fan
11-03-2011, 01:53 PM
ondrusek could not close a door

mroby85
11-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Massett has been the #1 candidate for awhile, and has nasty stuff but i'm just not sure he could do the job. It may just be a coincidence, but I think it seems like he has trouble in tight game situations. Chapman is reportedly moving to the rotation, so that is out. Bray was mainly used this year as a lefty/lefty matchup reliever, I don't see that changing, and Ondrusek was way better early on in the year than he was towards the end. Homer Bailey is a definite possibility if they move him out of the rotation, and I haven't seen Boxberger but have heard good things, I just don't know if they would bring someone up and immediately throw them into the closer role.

I don't think its a smart move to sign coco to an expensive contract with Votto and Phillips still needing to be signed.

izzy's dad
11-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Bray is closing games in Taiwan or wherever for an MLB vs so and so thing. I know it isn't an MLB game, but he is closing. Just me thinking out loud.

alett12
11-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Massett has been the #1 candidate for awhile, and has nasty stuff but i'm just not sure he could do the job. It may just be a coincidence, but I think it seems like he has trouble in tight game situations. Chapman is reportedly moving to the rotation, so that is out. Bray was mainly used this year as a lefty/lefty matchup reliever, I don't see that changing, and Ondrusek was way better early on in the year than he was towards the end. Homer Bailey is a definite possibility if they move him out of the rotation, and I haven't seen Boxberger but have heard good things, I just don't know if they would bring someone up and immediately throw them into the closer role.

I don't think its a smart move to sign coco to an expensive contract with Votto and Phillips still needing to be signed.

Bailey i think would be a lights out closer, he has been injury prone and you can easier control his innings out of the pen and it opens a stop for wood in the rotation

redsfanmia
11-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Bailey i think would be a lights out closer, he has been injury prone and you can easier control his innings out of the pen and it opens a stop for wood in the rotation

He takes too long to get loose, this has prevented him from being used in the pen before.

berryluther
11-06-2011, 04:23 PM
I would much rather we spent that kind of money on a clean up hitter or a starting pitcher.

alett12
11-09-2011, 03:06 PM
He takes too long to get loose, this has prevented him from being used in the pen before.

I'm sure if you put him in the pen to work on this then it would take less time