PDA

View Full Version : Gold Glove Awards 2011

HeatherC1212
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I gave up on watching the Gold Glove show on ESPN2 when the football game seemed never ending but I just saw on Twitter that Joey and Brandon were both named Gold Glove winners tonight. Congrats to both guys!! :jump:

Over in the AL, Matt Weiters became the first ever Oriole to win a GG for catcher. Congrats to him too! :thumbup:

dougdirt
11-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Pretty bummed about the awards leaking on twitter. What is the point of me watching the show now?

HeatherC1212
11-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Oh, I thought they were being tweeted as they're being announced on the show. They're being posted by all the beat writers and I figured they were posting them as they found out too. :confused:

BTW-Nick Markakis just won his first (way overdue) GG award for RF with the Orioles! SO excited for him to finally win! :D

blumj
11-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Nothing against Alex Gordon, but I have no idea how anyone with eyes picks someone other than Brett Gardner for AL LF.

VR
11-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I'd have laughed if you told me 3 years ago that Votto would win a GG.

MrCinatit
11-01-2011, 11:37 PM
What is this, the third for Phillips? I think the guy deserves it and has turned into a monster out there.

HeatherC1212
11-01-2011, 11:39 PM
NL Winners:

Kershaw P, Molina C, Votto 1B :D, Phillips 2B :D, Polanco 3B, Tulowitzki SS, Parra LF, Kemp CF, Ethier RF

AL Winners:

Buehrle P, Wieters C :D, Gonzalez 1B, Pedroia 2B, Beltre 3B, Aybar SS, Gordon LF, Ellsbury CF, Markakis RF :D (A little surprised Astrubel Cabrera didn't win for SS)

HeatherC1212
11-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Whoops, double post somehow. :confused:

Congrats to all the winners except Molina. :p

*BaseClogger*
11-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Here's the complete list:

AL
C - Wieters
1B - Gonzalez
2B - Pedroia
3B - Beltre
SS - Aybar
LF - Gordon
CF - Ellsbury
RF - Markakis
P - Buerhle

NL
C - Molina
1B - Votto
2B - Phillips
3B - Polanco
SS - Tulowitzki
LF - Parra
CF - Kemp
RF - Ethier
P - Kershaw

HeatherC1212
11-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Here's a post with some comments from Brandon and Joey:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/11/01/phillips-votto-win-gold-gloves/

RedsManRick
11-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Nothing against Alex Gordon, but I have no idea how anyone with eyes picks someone other than Brett Gardner for AL LF.

No kidding. They actually did pretty darn good this year. But Gardner is awesome. I think perhaps the weakest selection was Erick Aybar -- I think Alexi Ramirez is easily the best defensive SS in the AL.

paulrichjr
Jay Bruce was mentioned by Barry Larkin as his pick for right field. That would have been cool to have the whole right side as a GG.

*BaseClogger*
Okay, so Heather beat me to it.

I hate that I bother caring about the GG awards and they're selections were a typical mix of good and bad. I think they did a great job with the infielders and then were completely lost with the outfielders. Kemp is rewarded for his offense. How does Gardner not get recognition!?!?

RedsManRick
11-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Pretty bummed about the awards leaking on twitter. What is the point of me watching the show now?

But there was an important football game on that nobody cared about...

HeatherC1212
11-02-2011, 12:00 AM

They didn't start announcing the winners until the game was over so there were no early announcements. It was annoying because I really have no patience sometimes, LOL :laugh:

blumj
11-02-2011, 12:01 AM
That exchange with Omar Vizquel where they told him he's the one who hit the ball for the web gem of the year play so he said he wasn't going to vote for it was kind of worth watching for.

dougdirt
11-02-2011, 12:16 AM

I don't have a huge issue with that, especially since it was a really good game, even if the teams weren't.

cinreds21
11-02-2011, 12:25 AM
So, were they leaked or just announced?

dougdirt
11-02-2011, 12:26 AM
So, were they leaked or just announced?

I guess that is a good question. I know that Mark Sheldon tweeted that Votto and Phillips won the awards well before they were announced on TV. That sucked for me and I turned it off at that point. I watched to see who was going to win. No need to watch any longer.

blumj
11-02-2011, 12:32 AM
ESPN gave away the winners with this release yesterday, they're all the first player named and in smaller type:

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/10/31/espn2-to-televise-first-ever-rawlings-gold-glove-awards-show/

WVRedsFan
11-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Congrats to Brandon and Joey. Lots of work to do for 2012, but this is great for 2011.

MikeThierry
11-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Congrats to both Phillips and Votto, especially Votto. He had a 6.8 UZR/150 this year, which was near the top in the NL for players who played their full time at first base. Well deserved.

I'm running down the list of winners and I don't really have that much of a problem with any of them like I do in most years. They pretty much got it right this year. Thank god Jeter didn't get another one.

Ghosts of 1990
11-02-2011, 02:59 AM

The same way Jay Bruce didn't win one in 2010

Redsfan320
11-02-2011, 09:06 AM
When did they switch from 3 OF, to separate ones for LF, CF, and RF??? Glad they did though.

lollipopcurve
11-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Very classy statement from Votto giving thanks and credit to several in the Reds organization.

HeatherC1212
11-02-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm running down the list of winners and I don't really have that much of a problem with any of them like I do in most years. They pretty much got it right this year. Thank god Jeter didn't get another one.

I agree, especially about Jeter. I'm a little surprised Asdrubel Cabrera didn't win the SS one for the AL but Aybar is really good too.

BTW-Jamie Ramsey tweeted this morning that he had his blog automatically set to post the news about Joey and Brandon right around 11 PM last night so the news may have gone out a little early after all. He was asleep and didn't know the football game ran late so what he thought would be old news by that time ended up being a bit of a spoiler. He apologized for it and I wonder if the other guys had that happen too (they all posted around the same time on Twitter last night).

crazybob60
11-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Reading from the link posted earlier, I was glad to see this...

Jay Bruce was also a finalist.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/11/01/phillips-votto-win-gold-gloves/

Jay's time will come. I say within the 1-2 years.

*BaseClogger*
11-02-2011, 11:57 AM
I agree, especially about Jeter. I'm a little surprised Asdrubel Cabrera didn't win the SS one for the AL but Aybar is really good too.

Cabrera has never had a strong UZR and it was especially weak in 2011 and I don't understand why... :confused:

max venable
11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
When did they switch from 3 OF, to separate ones for LF, CF, and RF??? Glad they did though.

this was the first time they've done it that way. And I'm with you...glad they did it, makes sense. And I totally would have picked JBruce over Ethier.

Chip R
11-02-2011, 01:38 PM
They didn't start announcing the winners until the game was over so there were no early announcements. It was annoying because I really have no patience sometimes, LOL :laugh:

Why in the world was it scheduled at 10:00 p.m. on ESPN? I could understand it being on at 10 on MLB Network but ESPN? And 10 p.m. is too late to have those announcements anyway. Are they trying to hide the results from the morning newspapers? What marketing genius thought of this?

reds1869
11-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Why in the world was it scheduled at 10:00 p.m. on ESPN? I could understand it being on at 10 on MLB Network but ESPN? And 10 p.m. is too late to have those announcements anyway. Are they trying to hide the results from the morning newspapers? What marketing genius thought of this?

It was definitely odd, especially since most of the other awards are being announced live on MLB Network in earlier time slots.

MikeThierry
11-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Cabrera has never had a strong UZR and it was especially weak in 2011 and I don't understand why...

Alexei Ramirez would have been my choice this year. I'm not outraged at the voting but this years voting is another example of why the Fielding Bible Awards are the best, in my opinion, determination of who was the best fielder at any given position.

Another problem I have with the vote is that sometimes the archaic numbers that coaches and managers use aren't put into proper context. I got in a debate with someone today who thought Ruiz should have won the GG over Molina this year. Ruiz did have one less error but at the same time, Molina caught almost 100 innings more than Ruiz did, which will skew the error rate a bit. I know it was two fans arguing but the same process goes on with the coaches where they will look at fielding percentage/errors and use that as a litmus test for their vote instead of delving deeper into the numbers.