PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove

will5979
11-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Did anyone listen to Hot Stove last night? Marty rudely cut off the last caller when the caller made some valid points of the difference between the Reds and Cardinals. The caller mentioned that the Reds would not be going anywhere unless they developed the attitude and confidence that the Cardinals have.

Marty then proceded to rudely cut the caller off and say "I tell ya where your goin, you're goin outta here." Then he ranted for about 5 minutes about how he couldn't stand to hear someone make such a statement.

I swear I used to really love listening to Marty but he has turned into the biggest hateful old prick that I have ever heard in broadcasting.

brad1176
11-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Didn't listen to it, but that doesn't surprise me. I don't know why he would have such a problem with what that caller said though, he BLASTS the Reds on the air every game! He's harder on them than anyone! I don't enjoy listening to him anymore.

Old NDN
11-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I heard it. I wonder which RedsZoner that was?lol Marty did say after the hangup, let's wait and see what moves the Reds make this offseaon before you criticize.

bounty37h
11-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I can see those who thought it was rude, but agree with above ^, sure tired of hearing the same old thing over and over (I certainly get tired of it here)and want to focus on what to do for the future. Granted, what the caller was saying relates to that, but after a season like this the griping on top of losing gets old.

will5979
11-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I can see those who thought it was rude, but agree with above ^, sure tired of hearing the same old thing over and over (I certainly get tired of it here)and want to focus on what to do for the future. Granted, what the caller was saying relates to that, but after a season like this the griping on top of losing gets old.

You are right and I agree with what you are saying, but I think Reds fans are sick and tired of being sick and tired. Fast-forwarding to next year it will be 17 years since our last playoff WIN, 22 years since our last NL Pennant/World Title...Damnit I for one am tired of waiting, I want another World Title...for a franchise with the tradition that the Reds have 22 years is WAY too long go without a World Series appearance-and I would settle for just an NL Pennant, I'm glad the fans are calling out the organization and their remark "We're just not going to lose anymore."

texasdave
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Didn't listen to it, but that doesn't surprise me. I don't know why he would have such a problem with what that caller said though, he BLASTS the Reds on the air every game! He's harder on them than anyone! I don't enjoy listening to him anymore.

Yep. Marty saying he is tired of hearing it is pretty hypocritical IMO. He rides certain players to death. Nobody can accuse Marty of being Stevie Sunshine on the air. Of course when Marty says those things he is "telling it like it is". But don't let a fan complain. Then people are tired of the whining. :lol:

brad1176
11-02-2011, 01:34 PM
You are right and I agree with what you are saying, but I think Reds fans are sick and tired of being sick and tired. Fast-forwarding to next year it will be 17 years since our last playoff WIN, 22 years since our last NL Pennant/World Title...Damnit I for one am tired of waiting, I want another World Title...for a franchise with the tradition that the Reds have 22 years is WAY too long go without a World Series appearance-and I would settle for just an NL Pennant, I'm glad the fans are calling out the organization and their remark "We're just not going to lose anymore."

All of us Reds fans are tired of not winning. The management put money out last offseason to keep our core together, the group that won the division in 2010. Sadly, the fans still didn't show up for games. We drew an average of just over 27k fans per home game last year, an increase of only 2k fans from 2010. We had the 20 game weekend season ticket package for 2011 and it was frustrating to see GABP half empty, as we drive 3.5 hours one way to a game. If the fans don't go to games and support the team, it's going to be hard for management to turn this franchise back into what it used to be.

will5979
11-02-2011, 01:56 PM
All of us Reds fans are tired of not winning. The management put money out last offseason to keep our core together, the group that won the division in 2010. Sadly, the fans still didn't show up for games. We drew an average of just over 27k fans per home game last year, an increase of only 2k fans from 2010. We had the 20 game weekend season ticket package for 2011 and it was frustrating to see GABP half empty, as we drive 3.5 hours one way to a game. If the fans don't go to games and support the team, it's going to be hard for management to turn this franchise back into what it used to be.

Typical excuse, its all the fans fault. :rolleyes:

drowg14
11-02-2011, 02:08 PM

We went from the 20th highest payroll in 2010 to 19th in 2011 (per USA Today). And the only reason we went up is because TB dropped their payroll by roughly 30mil. The payroll went from about 71.76 mil to 75.95. Where's all that money that management spent?

texasdave
11-02-2011, 02:18 PM
We went from the 20th highest payroll in 2010 to 19th in 2011 (per USA Today). And the only reason we went up is because TB dropped their payroll by roughly 30mil. The payroll went from about 71.76 mil to 75.95. Where's all that money that management spent?

Come on now, you think Edgar Renteria and Fred Lewis played for free? :D

That is just nonsense that the Reds spent tons of money last off-season. It has been debunked on this board many times over. I can't believe people will still try to bring that up.

bounty37h
11-02-2011, 03:37 PM

I agree, I think all of us and Marty are tired of being tired, and its wearing on us all in different ways. I say lets win the whole damn thing next year and not have to have these topics for awhile!!

bounty37h
11-02-2011, 03:40 PM

True, we need more fans, but an increase is an increase-the team didnt do anyhting to get better and make sure increases kept on the rise. If we had been competetive this year, I am sure it would have continued to increase next year. Sort of a which came first, chicken or egg situation....

LegallyMinded
11-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Hmm, any chance the Reds could trade Marty? After all, we've already seen minor league players get moved as compensation for a manger (Ozzie Guillen) and General Manager (Theo Epstein). Why not try to move a broadcaster in a similar fashion?

And yes, I am just being facetious. . . . I'm well aware no one would actually take Marty at this point in his career.

foxfire123
11-02-2011, 11:07 PM

Will, you just summed it up perfectly.

nux fan
11-02-2011, 11:30 PM
will never win with dusty and his "old school" approach

will5979
11-02-2011, 11:31 PM
I say lets win the whole damn thing next year and not have to have these topics for awhile!!

^^^This times 10!

A world title would definitely shut me up for at least 3-5 seasons! :lol:

Old NDN
11-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Wanna increase ticket sales? Make a couple of deals that will get fans excited and give them hope again.

bounty37h
11-03-2011, 10:15 AM
will never win with dusty and his "old school" approach

Think your a perfect example though of why Marty bashed on the guy-fans who do nothing but complain-even if "correct" of what they complain about sometimes. I cant even tell if they are really fans or just miserable people who like to moan and groan all the time but never say anything when things are going well, but have never seen a positive post from you...

will5979
11-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Wanna increase ticket sales? Make a couple of deals that will get fans excited and give them hope again.

If the organization were to get a cleanup hitter and a solid leadoff hitter or either one would be great I would definitely buy a season ticket package for next year.

I keep hearing starting pitching, starting pitching, blah-blah-blah. Our starting pitching is fine.

Cueto-A younger Jose Rijo.
Arroyo-When healthy our workhorse and 15 game winner.
Leake-A stud that will be a 13-18 game winner every year.

Our Ace-AROLDIS CHAPMAN people! He needs to be in the rotation.

As far as the 5th starter is concerned, D-Train.

There is our rotation for next year,

Cueto
Arroyo
Leake
Chapman
Willis

NOW GO OUT AND GET SOME DAMN OFFENSE! WHOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO I'm already jacked-up for next season! Go Reds!

LegallyMinded
11-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Cueto-A younger Jose Rijo.
Arroyo-When healthy our workhorse and 15 game winner.
Leake-A stud that will be a 13-18 game winner every year.

Our Ace-AROLDIS CHAPMAN people! He needs to be in the rotation.

As far as the 5th starter is concerned, D-Train.

There is our rotation for next year,

Cueto
Arroyo
Leake
Chapman
Willis

NOW GO OUT AND GET SOME DAMN OFFENSE! WHOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO I'm already jacked-up for next season! Go Reds!

Last year, the Reds were second in the NL in runs scored and second to last in the NL in xFIP. Bronson Arroyo was the single worst qualified starter in the Majors, and Aroldis Chapman has already missed playing time this off season because of a sore shoulder. If the Reds want to make a splash this coming year, they really need to address the pitching issues.

texasdave
11-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Second baseman Brandon Phillips told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he has “some leverage” in contract talks with the Reds. Fay suggests Phillips is looking for a deal in the $38-62MM range. The Reds, who picked up Phillips’ $12MM option for 2012 earlier in the week, intend to continue discussing an extension.

3-years, 38 million. That works.

nux fan
11-03-2011, 11:18 AM
willis only starts of losers, he should be relesed immediately

texasdave
11-03-2011, 11:40 AM
You don't hear much about Willis being brought back, curious for a team that needs starting pitching. Would not be surprised to see him end up elsewhere. Chapman doesn't seem to be pitch-efficient enough to be a starter. Hopefully, that changes during
Winter Ball.

will5979
11-03-2011, 01:33 PM
willis only starts of losers, he should be relesed immediately

Kinda hard to get a win when you don't have offensive support eh?

redsfanmia
11-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Last year, the Reds were second in the NL in runs scored and second to last in the NL in xFIP. Bronson Arroyo was the single worst qualified starter in the Majors, and Aroldis Chapman has already missed playing time this off season because of a sore shoulder. If the Reds want to make a splash this coming year, they really need to address the pitching issues.

I think that they need to change the offense, they have too many all or nothing guys like Stubbs, Bruce, Hiesey and others. The runs scored is kind of bogus because they don't score runs when they need them, if the situational hitting was better they can win with the pitching they have. I think priority 1 should be getting a right handed clean up hitter either playing left or third base and priority 2 should be getting a legit lead off hitter and maybe Cozart could be that guy. I think the pitching is good enough.

LegallyMinded
11-03-2011, 02:35 PM
I think that they need to change the offense, they have too many all or nothing guys like Stubbs, Bruce, Hiesey and others. The runs scored is kind of bogus because they don't score runs when they need them, if the situational hitting was better they can win with the pitching they have. I think priority 1 should be getting a right handed clean up hitter either playing left or third base and priority 2 should be getting a legit lead off hitter and maybe Cozart could be that guy. I think the pitching is good enough.

With men on base, the Reds were 5th in the NL in hitting and 4th in the NL in OPS. With men in scoring position, they were even better: 3rd in the NL in OPS.

As for the all or nothing guys, I know it hurts to watch people strike out, but do you want more sacrifice flies? More bunting? More sacrifice hits? The Padres were second in the NL in sac flies, and the Marlins led the league in sacrifice hits-- neither of those teams put many runs on the board or put up many wins.

Granted, there's room for improvement-- in LF and at 3B, as you mentioned-- but the offense for the most part should be okay.