PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 11/3

chicoruiz
11-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Reds:

Larry Kopf- Shortstop for the 1919 world champs.

Others:

Bob Welch (55) -Baseball's last 27-game winner. His book Five O'Clock Comes Early deals with his struggle with alcoholism.

Dwight Evans (60) -Who can forget the catch he made off of Morgan in Game 6 of the '75 Series?

Ken Holtzman (66) -Pitched the only no-hitter I've personally witnessed in '71 at Riverfront. If someone asked you who baseball's all-time winningest Jewish pitcher was, you'd automatically say Koufax, but the correct answer is Holtzman.

Bob Feller -Just passed away last year.

CySeymour
11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
That is actually a pretty impressive list of players born on this day!

George Anderson
11-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Dwight Evans (60) -Who can forget the catch he made off of Morgan in Game 6 of the '75 Series?

Dewey is hands down one of the most underrated players of all time. You would think playing in Boston he would of got alot of publicity, but he never seemed to get it. Maybe he was just overshadowed by Yaz, Clemens, Rice etc.

Bob Borkowski
11-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Bob Feller -Just passed away last year.

Some quotes from Rapid Robert:

I just reared back and let them go.

I would rather beat the Yankees regularly than pitch a no-hit game.

Ted Williams was the greatest hitter I ever saw but (Joe) DiMaggio was the greatest all around player.

When I pick up the ball and it feels nice and light and small, I know I'm going to have a good day. But if I pick it up and it's big and heavy, I know I'm liable to have a little trouble.

When you make a bad pitch and the hitter puts it out of the park and you cost your team the game, it's a real test of your maturity to stand in front of your locker fifteen minutes later and admit it to the world. How many people in other professions would be willing to have their job performances evaluated that way, in front of millions, every afternoon at five o'clock?