PDA

View Full Version : Ramon Hernandez appreciation thread

mlh1981
11-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm reading some rumors that he may end up with the Pirates, and if that doesn't happen, there should be a number of teams that will be interested in his services. Granted, at his age, he may end up falling off a cliff here soon, as the number of catchers his age who can still produce are few and far between.

Nonetheless, he was one of my favorite Reds players over the past few years. I had numerous doubts about him when we brought him on board, especially from a defensive perspective, but he ended up being a great team leader. In this recent season of disaster, he was one of the few players who consistently performed. Also, I will never forget the memory of opening day.

Thank you, Razor! :beerme:

izzy's dad
11-05-2011, 10:16 AM
One of the best trades the Reds have ever made. I am sad to see him move on, but it is time for the young guys to step up.

redsfan1995
11-05-2011, 06:35 PM
yes the hernandez trade was a great one from walt because the reds practically gave up nothing.

texasdave
11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
:beerme:

Old NDN
11-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Whoever gets him, he will be pretty well rested. The Reds didn't exactly wear him out, with him sharing time with Hannigan for a couple of seasons. I agree, he's been pretty productive for the Reds. Good trade.

bounty37h
11-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Abso-frick-lutely!!! I was against the trade at the time-and voiced it here prob more than anyone-as I had seen him in Balti and wasnt impressed by his play or effort, but gladly eat crow and say he has been great!! He has done what asked of him, covered for others at times, been a leader, and played all out. I went from hating hm on our team to loving him here.

drowg14
11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Abso-frick-lutely!!! I was against the trade at the time-and voiced it here prob more than anyone-as I had seen him in Balti and wasnt impressed by his play or effort, but gladly eat crow and say he has been great!! He has done what asked of him, covered for others at times, been a leader, and played all out. I went from hating hm on our team to loving him here.

I will agree with this. I barely knew who he was before he came here. When we traded for him I looked some stuff up on him and wondered why we were even going after him. Now I know. Viva la Razer

LegallyMinded
11-08-2011, 02:07 PM
It's interesting that his first year in Cincinnati, he struggled pretty badly (.258/.336/.362), but then really turned things on the next two years (.290/.353/.437). It makes me wonder what the Reds saw in him when they acquired him-- did they expect him to recover from his relatively poor '08 and '09 seasons to become as productive as he was these last two years, or did the Reds just get lucky?

Fullboat
11-10-2011, 02:03 AM
yes the hernandez trade was a great one from walt because the reds practically gave up nothing.

Well we did give two players for him Ryan Freel & Farney.:laugh: