PDA

View Full Version : Should MLB invoke the "Franchise Tag"?

savafan
11-06-2011, 12:19 AM
It's an interesting proposal, but I don't think the MLBPA would go for it.

http://nybaseballdigest.com/?p=41223&cpage=1

The MLB free agency period is now upon us and much speculation has been written where the Big Three free agents of Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder and Jose Reyes will be headed next.

But should players who have played their entire careers with an organization be allowed to leave their respective teams this early in their careers? Especially while only playing for the team for only six seasons?

KronoRed
11-06-2011, 01:45 AM
The union would never go for it and they run this league.

11-06-2011, 02:08 AM
I don't see how it affects the Reds, considering they don't have Javy Valentin anymore. ;)

Vottomatic
11-06-2011, 08:55 AM
The players union is ruining mlb. No wonder the NFL is ahead of mlb in interest. They promote parity with salary caps and other measures. MLB is the most selfish of the pro sports.

cincinnati chili
11-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Should MLB try for this, definitely. Kinda like how I could try for a 50% raise at work. Neither are going to happen.

wlf WV
11-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Does anyone have the owner - player $ratio as pro football.Was it was almost 50-50 revenue sharing for pro football?

corkedbat
11-06-2011, 06:41 PM
If implemented like it is in the NFL, it might not help the Reds much. If they had to pay Votto equal to the average of the Top Five firstbasemen, it would probably still be out of the Reds grasp longterm thanks to contracts like Mark Texiera, Ryan Howard, Adrian Gonzalez, Miguel Cabrera, etc. (not to mention the deals that Pujols and Fielder will soon sign). It might allow them to hold onto Joey though for an extra year if BCast were willing to bite the bullet.

IslandRed
11-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Everyone always focuses on the exceptions to the rule, but Joey Votto is a more typical example. By the time he hits free agency after 2013, he'll be 30 years old, he'll have spent 11+ years in the Cincinnati organization, and he'll be closer to the end of his career than the start. As much as I would like to see him remain a Red, I don't think he owes anyone more than that.