PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball and the economy

savafan
11-06-2011, 12:28 AM
When I hear about the numbers being tossed around for Pujols and Fielder seeking $25-27.5 million a year to play baseball, and increased ticket prices to cover the costs of rising salaries in an economy where the average fan is already paying more for gas and food while finding it hard to seek better employment or keep their homes, I have to wonder if there will eventually be a public outcry at the amount of money that players are making, or if baseball fans will continue to turn a blind eye to that topic. It does seem that the current state of the economy would only further hurt the smaller market teams ability to remain competitive with the New Yorks, Bostons, Philadelphias and Chicagoes of the world. Maybe nothing will come of it, but I can see a need for some type of balancing out in order to keep hold the interest and attendance of the average fan eventually.

Rojo
11-06-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm always going to follow the game. But I went to more USF basketball games ($10 at the door) last year than Giants games.

Big Klu
11-06-2011, 01:15 AM
This past season I went to only three games (two in Cincinnati and one in Pittsburgh). It was the fewest number of games I had attended since 1998. I just can't justify the cost like I could 10 years ago.

dougdirt
11-06-2011, 01:40 AM
When I hear about the numbers being tossed around for Pujols and Fielder seeking $25-27.5 million a year to play baseball, and increased ticket prices to cover the costs of rising salaries in an economy where the average fan is already paying more for gas and food while finding it hard to seek better employment or keep their homes, I have to wonder if there will eventually be a public outcry at the amount of money that players are making, or if baseball fans will continue to turn a blind eye to that topic. It does seem that the current state of the economy would only further hurt the smaller market teams ability to remain competitive with the New Yorks, Bostons, Philadelphias and Chicagoes of the world. Maybe nothing will come of it, but I can see a need for some type of balancing out in order to keep hold the interest and attendance of the average fan eventually.

Why would a fan care what a player makes? If the player isn't making the money, then the owner will. The money is clearly there for the players to be making or the owners wouldn't be paying them. And the money is there because we, the fans, are going to and watching/listening to the games which leads to direct money sales for the team or direct advertising sales/tv deals for the team.

The only way the player salaries will adjust is when the fans stop spending their money/time following the sport.

Vottomatic
11-06-2011, 07:52 AM
I watch because I love the game.

There won't be an outcry over high salaries. There will just be a reduction in attendance as ticket prices and food prices go up to pay for those high salaries and everyday middle class people like me and some of you cannot afford to go anymore.

I used to go to 10-15 Reds games a year. I went to 3 last season. I've taken a 40% paycut the last 3 years, and have to work a second job.

And I enjoy going to UC b-ball games too. I went to 3 or 4 last season. And Big East ticket prices ($30) are ridiculous too. I think all but one game is televised this year.

I count more and more on just watching the games on TV. The live experience is just too expensive. It's becoming an experience for rich people, as the middle class has been destroyed by this poor economy.

So all you people who complain about a lack of attendance/support can blame the players for demanding ridiculous salaries that drive up ticket and food prices, and force people like me to stay home.

reds1869
11-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I agree with dougdirt that salaries will remain where they are as long as revenue flows in.

I understand the economy hurting attendance argument in cities with expensive ballpark experiences; Cincinnati is not one of those cities. We can walk through the gate of GABP for $5. Even if the $5 seats are sold out the bleachers are less than $10. For most games those tickets are readily available. Parking is not even remotely expensive, either. Before I lived near the ballpark I used to park in Newport for $2 and walk. Attending a Reds game is one of the best values in town. I know from experience that the same is true in most small markets.

Edit: I completely understand the cost of travel for out of town fans; it is definitely something that hurts a team like the Reds that draws regionally.