PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 11/6

chicoruiz
11-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Reds:

Mack Jones -Played for the Reds in 1968, in between longer stints with the Braves and Expos.

Others:

Ricky Romero (27) Romantically linked with the 2010 Miss USA, which can't be a bad thing...

John Candelaria (58) -Goofy-looking but seriously effective Pirate pitcher. In his best year he went 20-5 with a 2.34 ERA and still finished only fifth in Cy Young voting.

Walter Johnson -A sidearmer like Candelaria (albeit a righty), his accomplishments are, of course, too many to list here. According to Wikipedia, Johnson and Ty Cobb faced each other more than any pitcher-batter combo in major league history.

_Sir_Charles_
11-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I remember that season from Candelaria. I wasn't surprised he didn't win it, but I WAS surprised how low he finished. Carlton won that year with Seaver coming in second. That felt right to me as they both had outstanding years. But Rick Ruschel and Tommy John should NOT have been ahead of the Candy man.

I was never a Pirates fan, but I have to admit...he was fun to watch. I've always liked watching sidearms & submariners.

chicoruiz
11-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Journeyman OF Bubba Trammell turns 41 today. "Bubba' is a tragically underutilized baseball name. Which Red would make a good "Bubba"? There's already been a Bubba Phillips, so that's out...I'm guessing Todd Frazier would make the best "Bubba", although "Bubba Stubbs" has a certain ring to it...