PDA

View Full Version : Report: David Wright on the trading block

Wonderful Monds
11-06-2011, 03:18 PM
http://nypost.com/p/sports/mets/source_mets_open_to_wright_deal_UJ6FhfhAW6PtCnXHrS 3CXJ

He has one year at 15M and a team option for 16M, so pretty much 2 years left on his deal. The Mets are looking for a young defense oriented CF, according to the source.

This has to look good for the Reds. The Mets aren't doing this for no reason, they need the prospects to reload and compete. At the same time, Wright doesn't have a TON of time left on his deal and he isn't cheap in the least bit, both factors which will drive his value down.

So what would you offer for him? I would probably be willing to go...
CF Drew Stubbs
IF/OF Juan Francisco or Todd Frazier
P Daniel Corcino

I actually don't think that's a bad deal for Wright, all things considered. I would start with that. If that wasn't enough, I'd reluctantly be willing to add Grandal too.

The DARK
11-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Straight Stubbs or no deal. Maybe even ask them for a prospect or two. When you have a guy capable of hitting 20+ home runs and still being one of the league leaders in stolen bases despite all his strikeouts, and staying in Cincinnati through the middle of the decade, and very cheap... you don't give that up easily.

LegallyMinded
11-06-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure what to make of Wright: He was a superstar-quality player in 2007 and 2008, but since then his numbers have tailed off pretty steeply. His power has dried up to a significant degree, and while I initially thought that might just be Citi field sapping his numbers, his defensive metrics have also tanked, so it might just be general age-related decline. Then again, he's only 28, so rather than declining, he should be in the peak of his career.

At any rate, if the Reds did trade Stubbs for him, who would you like to see take over in center field? A free agent like Coco Crisp might be an option, but would the Reds have the money for a free agent if they're taking on Wright's salary?

Jefferson24
11-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Straight Stubbs or no deal. Maybe even ask them for a prospect or two. When you have a guy capable of hitting 20+ home runs and still being one of the league leaders in stolen bases despite all his strikeouts, and staying in Cincinnati through the middle of the decade, and very cheap... you don't give that up easily.

Being capable of hitting 20 home runs and actually doing it without striking out 200+ times is what I want to see. Another example of us fans valuing our players way too much. They would laugh us right out of town for offering that trade.

drowg14
11-07-2011, 02:21 AM
At any rate, if the Reds did trade Stubbs for him, who would you like to see take over in center field? A free agent like Coco Crisp might be an option, but would the Reds have the money for a free agent if they're taking on Wright's salary?

Sappelt or Heisey could both play CF. I would give them both a decent shot early on, maybe a three way platoon of those two and Yonder in LF.

brad1176
11-07-2011, 08:59 AM
I just don't see the Reds making a trade for Wright. He makes way too much and we have two third baseman already. I could see the Cubs getting him though. They have an opening at third, Theo wants to make a bit of a splash, etc. Theo could build a package around Tony Campana and offer to pick up most of Wright's salary.

The DARK
11-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Being capable of hitting 20 home runs and actually doing it without striking out 200+ times is what I want to see. Another example of us fans valuing our players way too much. They would laugh us right out of town for offering that trade.

They might see Wright is an overpriced, overrated 3B that doesn't help them rebuild. Really though, it all depends on money.

nux fan
11-07-2011, 11:27 AM
yes provincial posters tend to think the world values stubbs
and they tend to think that rolen is some great player, please evaluate what rolen has done for the reds in the last year and a half

LegallyMinded
11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Today's rumor is that the Mets are looking to trade Wright for Peter Bourjous of the Angels.

Over the last two years, here's how Stubbs and Bourjous compare:

Drew Stubbs .249/ .325/ .401 6.6WAR
Peter Bourjos .253/ .303/ .423 6.1WAR

In that regard, they seem pretty similar, but Stubbs is a few years older, and Bourjous didn't accumulate much playing time in 2010, so that accounts for his trailing Stubbs in WAR. Also, fangraphs likes Bourjous's defense much more than Stubbs', so if the Mets are really interested in a defensive CF, they would probably prefer Bourjous.

The Rage
11-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Wright would be useless on the Reds. Can't really play 3rd anymore and his bat isn't that impressive.

If you want to blow your talent on a bat, go for Kemp or somebody like that. At least provides a big upgrade.