PDA

View Full Version : Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

camisadelgolf
11-06-2011, 10:10 PM
#1 C Devin Mesoraco
#2 1B/OF Yonder Alonso
#3 C Yasmani Grandal
#4 SS Billy Hamilton
#5 SS Zack Cozart
#6 RHP Dan Corcino
#7 RHP Robert Stephenson
#8 RHP Brad Boxberger

bubbachunk
11-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Soto for his power displayed this season and his pedigree coming in. Still wish he could have stayed at 3B though.

dougdirt
11-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Yorman Rodriguez. Still has all of the tools you want to see. He was one of three 18 year olds in the Midwest League this year and held his own. Too much upside here for anyone else to go before him.

Ohayou
11-07-2011, 01:34 AM
Yorman Rodriguez. He's got a lot to improve on, but he's only 18, and he held his own in the MIDW. Not many guys his age can boast that.

fearofpopvol1
11-07-2011, 02:08 AM
I can't believe Sappelt is still on the board here. The guy is a major leaguer...it's just a matter of is he a starter or not.

Superdude
11-07-2011, 02:15 AM
I can't believe Sappelt is still on the board here. The guy is a major leaguer...it's just a matter of is he a starter or not.

That's kind of a significant matter isn't it?

dougdirt
11-07-2011, 02:18 AM

I am with you.... but I am in even more shock that Yorman is here. Both would be off the board for me by this point.

Kc61
11-07-2011, 07:17 AM

I think those of us who haven't voted for Sappelt watched him play with the Reds last year. Didn't play like a top ten prospect.

Yorman Rodriguez, based on overall talent level, needs to be in the top ten. I've got him here.

chicoruiz
11-07-2011, 07:22 AM
For me it came down to trying to guess which is more likely to happen: Torreyes to physically mature a bit or Yorman to emotionally mature a lot. I went with Torreyes.

lollipopcurve
11-07-2011, 07:23 AM
I think those of us who haven't voted for Sappelt watched him play with the Reds last year. Didn't play like a top ten prospect.

Yorman Rodriguez, based on overall talent level, needs to be in the top ten. I've got him here.

I watched him play and I've been voting for him for several rounds now. Great swing, very good defense and his baserunning looked under control. Solid skills in all facets of the game. This is a guy who will have a long major league career, and his ceiling is as a regular who will hit .300 at least once.

Mistake to dismiss him after 100 major league ABs.

HokieRed
11-07-2011, 09:31 AM
I agree on Sappelt. I've liked him for two years and I thought he showed progress in his at-bats this year with the Reds. I think he'll win the CF contest if no one is brought in from the outside. That said, I can't have him in front of Yorman, my number 6.
A couple of interesting things to consider about the year Yorman had as a 19 year old in the Midwest League.
1. Here are Mesoraco's 20 year old stats from that league: very very similar to Yorman's. Mes: .261/.311/.399/.710, 64 K/20W, 23 extra base hits out of 80, around 30%; Yorman: .254/.318/.393/.711 84 K/25W, 21 extra base hits out of 71, around 30%. Very comparable numbers. Some, of course, thought this was a bad year for Mes, but some of us at the time didn't think that at all.
2. Average age of the Dayton pitching staff (just averaging the yearly figures and dividing by the number of pitchers): 22.2 years. Assuming a roughly equivalent figure throughout the league, that means Yorman was consistently facing pitchers who are more than 3 years older than he is. For a player at Yorman's age (or for Mes when he was 20), that kind of difference is enormous.

lollipopcurve
11-07-2011, 09:45 AM
A couple of interesting things to consider about the year Yorman had as a 19 year old in the Midwest League.
1. Here are Mesoraco's 20 year old stats from that league: very very similar to Yorman's. Mes: .261/.311/.399/.710, 64 K/20W, 23 extra base hits out of 80, around 30%; Yorman: .254/.318/.393/.711 84 K/25W, 21 extra base hits out of 71, around 30%. Very comparable numbers. Some, of course, thought this was a bad year for Mes, but some of us at the time didn't think that at all.
2. Average age of the Dayton pitching staff (just averaging the yearly figures and dividing by the number of pitchers): 22.2 years. Assuming a roughly equivalent figure throughout the league, that means Yorman was consistently facing pitchers who are more than 3 years older than he is. For a player at Yorman's age (or for Mes when he was 20), that kind of difference is enormous.

No doubt he's got great tools. But he couldn't stay on the field. And now he's not on a winter league roster. That tells me one of two things must be true (and both may be true):

1. He's got a significant injury. We were hearing shoulder, but the reports always sounded somewhat ambiguous.

2. His off-field issues are continuing. Whatever they may be.

He's out of my top 10. There's something not quite right with Yorman's career right now, and until he's back playing every day my confidence in him as a prospect will remain decidedly adjusted.

Kc61
11-07-2011, 09:47 AM
I watched him play and I've been voting for him for several rounds now. Great swing, very good defense and his baserunning looked under control. Solid skills in all facets of the game. This is a guy who will have a long major league career, and his ceiling is as a regular who will hit .300 at least once.

Mistake to dismiss him after 100 major league ABs.

I haven't dismissed Sappelt, I just wasn't that impressed.

His best attribute is his ability to make contact. This is his best skill and I think it will help him stay in the major leagues.

Sappelt also plays good defense. But he doesn't have a very good throwing arm and this limits him as a defender.

My biggest concern was that DS didn't show much power; nor did he show much patience. Either one would help him enormously. But if he doesn't walk and doesn't homer, then he's totally dependent on striking balls that fall in for base hits.

In the minor leagues, he hit for a high BA, true. In 1781 plate appearances he hit 31 homers and walked 129 times. So - in the major leagues - I don't see him as a top of the order OBP guy; nor do I see him as a middle of the order power guy.

So I haven't voted for DS well aware of his excellent contact ability. I just don't think the whole package will make him a major league regular.

Guys improve after facing a lot of MLB pitching, so hopefully I'm wrong and Dave becomes a star player.

P.S. - If Stubbs had Sappelt's ability to make contact, he'd be a perennial all star.

lollipopcurve
11-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Guys improve after facing a lot of MLB pitching, so hopefully I'm wrong and Dave becomes a star player.

So, guys you have ranked above him you have pegged as future stars?

Kc61
11-07-2011, 09:54 AM
On Soto, now that he's a first baseman, I think this hurts his rating. I'll take Yorman based on all around ability.

Soto had a good year at AAA. For sure. But his overall minor league record does not reflect a player who can become a solid regular at first base. First base requires superior offense against MLB pitching.

If Soto had remained at third, he would be a more valuable prospect.

Yorman R is still very raw and a kid, but he is well ahead of the game for such a young prospect. So I prefer him right now.

Kc61
11-07-2011, 09:56 AM
So, guys you have ranked above him you have pegged as future stars?

No, I said I hoped Sappelt becomes a star player. I'm not projecting that he does. As I've said, I don't project him as a major league regular.

The guys I've voted for ahead of Sappelt (I voted for all the guys selected so far except Corcino), I do project as major league regulars.

I hope they all becomes stars for the Reds, including Sappelt and everyone else on the list.

I think I've explained my views of Sappelt pretty clearly.

mace
11-07-2011, 10:11 AM
No doubt he's got great tools. But he couldn't stay on the field. And now he's not on a winter league roster. That tells me one of two things must be true (and both may be true):

1. He's got a significant injury. We were hearing shoulder, but the reports always sounded somewhat ambiguous.

2. His off-field issues are continuing. Whatever they may be.

He's out of my top 10. There's something not quite right with Yorman's career right now, and until he's back playing every day my confidence in him as a prospect will remain decidedly adjusted.

I've got to come down on this side of it, largely because I believe there are six tools, counting makeup, and Yorman seems to have a long, long way to go on one of the most important.

Plus, there's this: There have been a lot of references to Yorman holding his own as an 18-year-old in the Midwest League. Yeah, he did, for the time that he played. And Torreyes dominated it. He, too, was 18.

The only tool in which Yorman seems significantly stronger than Torreyes is power. (Possibly arm, but I think Torreyes covers that with a far better glove.) The question is whether Torreyes' huge advantage in makeup (including baseball instincts), along with his advanced hit tool, outweighs (or at least matches) Yorman's substantial edge in power.

crazybob60
11-07-2011, 10:24 AM
I went with Soto here. Even though he plays a position that we already have a log jam at, that shouldn't really affect his prospect status and I think he will come through again this season power-wise in a big way. Almost to the point where the Reds may be forced to play him.

dougdirt
11-07-2011, 11:33 AM

A lot of prospects didn't play like a Top 10 prospect in their first 20 MLB games. It happens to a lot of guys. And to be honest, he was actually pretty darn solid from about a week and a half going forward in the Majors. He just was really poor in the first 11 games. He even talked about how he was pressing and trying to do too much around that time.

dougdirt
11-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I agree on Sappelt. I've liked him for two years and I thought he showed progress in his at-bats this year with the Reds. I think he'll win the CF contest if no one is brought in from the outside. That said, I can't have him in front of Yorman, my number 6.

Yorman was 18 this past season.

Kc61
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
A lot of prospects didn't play like a Top 10 prospect in their first 20 MLB games. It happens to a lot of guys. And to be honest, he was actually pretty darn solid from about a week and a half going forward in the Majors. He just was really poor in the first 11 games. He even talked about how he was pressing and trying to do too much around that time.

Based on Sappelt's entire record, I think the lack of power and lack of patience are legitimate concerns.

And the lack of arm strength seems equally legitimate.

dougdirt
11-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Based on Sappelt's entire record, I think the lack of power and lack of patience are legitimate concerns.

I think people confuse lack of patience with a lack of walks, but they aren't always the same things. Sappelt gets the strikezone. He swings at strikes. He often hits them too, which is why the walk rates are on the lower end. Guys with high contact rates don't often walk much because they don't get deeper into counts because when they swing, they hit the ball.

As for the power, I guess it depends on what you expect. I think he can be a 35 double/15 HR guy. That is plenty when given the rest of his game.

The arm is a tad bit of an issue, but he isn't Johnny Damon out there either.

Mario-Rijo
11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
I think people confuse lack of patience with a lack of walks, but they aren't always the same things. Sappelt gets the strikezone. He swings at strikes. He often hits them too, which is why the walk rates are on the lower end. Guys with high contact rates don't often walk much because they don't get deeper into counts because when they swing, they hit the ball.

As for the power, I guess it depends on what you expect. I think he can be a 35 double/15 HR guy. That is plenty when given the rest of his game.

The arm is a tad bit of an issue, but he isn't Johnny Damon out there either.

I think this sums Sappelt up pretty well. :thumbup:

Still I went Soto due to the lack of support Sappelt is getting.

fearofpopvol1
11-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I am with you.... but I am in even more shock that Yorman is here. Both would be off the board for me by this point.

Yeah, I would have Yorman next on my list after Sappelt.

fearofpopvol1
11-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Small sample size? I bet you could look at numbers over history shown by some of the greats where over their first few professional ABs, they've done poorly but gone on to have great careers.

Kc61
11-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Small sample size? I bet you could look at numbers over history shown by some of the greats where over their first few professional ABs, they've done poorly but gone on to have great careers.

I've written a detailed explanation for my position on Sappelt, which I won't repeat. It's in this thread.

Odd, though, that Yonder has been proclaimed a future hitting star by virtue of his small sample. Yet Sappelt's small sample appears to be irrelevant.

Focusing on Yorman for a moment, the guy is only 19 yet he had a .361 OBP at Billings and did reasonably ok at Dayton given his age. While his OPS at Dayton was only .711, he did hit 7 homers. His power wasn't there at Billings, but showed up at Dayton. Leads me to believe that it will emerge as time goes on.

Again, Yorman only turned 19 this past August. He's way ahead of the game.

mth123
11-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Sappelt has a .459 slugging % in nearly 1800 minor league PAs. That includes .464 at AAA (451 PAs) and .548 at AA (372 PAs). Its not like he was beating up on low level guys that he was more advanced than. He won't be a 20 HR guy, but he has plenty of extra base power for a CF type. He also has great range in CF and hits with a lot of contact ability. His minor league line is .309/.362/.459/.821. I don't see the issues with his power or his defense. His arm is a little weak, but he won't be playing in RF. If he gets to the ball quickly, it makes up for a lot of other issues where arm strength is concerned.

I like him a whole lot and have him at number 4 on my list. If I thought he would quit trying to steal bases (where I think he'll get himself out too often), I'd have him higher.

Superdude
11-08-2011, 02:42 AM
I like him a whole lot and have him at number 4 on my list. If I thought he would quit trying to steal bases (where I think he'll get himself out too often), I'd have him higher.

It's not like Sappelt's gonna have the green light in the majors. I never understood the flak he took for running too much.

thatcoolguy_22
11-08-2011, 04:07 AM
I have read what Redsof72 has written multiple times about Yorman, and I'm not impressed. He seems to have the heart of an 8 year old whose father is making him play the game.

I voted Soto for his power numbers and I have Torreyes a notch below.

Here is one of the posts (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2430557&postcount=18)I saw about Yorman's attitude problem. He is not in my top ten, you can't coach heart.

Superdude
11-08-2011, 06:35 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13271937

If Sappelt can end the Jerry Hairston Jr. impression and start taking ferocious hacks like that again, he's got my vote.

helenkyle82
11-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Yorman Rodriguez

dougdirt
11-08-2011, 10:15 AM
I have read what Redsof72 has written multiple times about Yorman, and I'm not impressed. He seems to have the heart of an 8 year old whose father is making him play the game.

I voted Soto for his power numbers and I have Torreyes a notch below.

Here is one of the posts (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2430557&postcount=18)I saw about Yorman's attitude problem. He is not in my top ten, you can't coach heart.

He was 18 years old. He was dealing with several off the field personal issues during the season..... while being 2300 miles from home. He had a child. His grandmother and best friend died on the same day in separate incidents. He is immature by nature given that he was 18 years old (like most 18 year olds are). There were 3 guys under 19 in the entire league who spent even half a season in the league. He was one of them. Of course he is going to be immature. By definition, he is that given the surrounding group. I just think that some people are taking this entirely too far without looking at the context.

mace
11-08-2011, 11:34 AM
No question, Yorman is still very young and has time to mature and get his act together. We're all hoping he does. That said, and without full knowledge of the circumstances, he has issues that most 18-year-old professional ballplayers simply don't. You don't see many guys missing in action as he has been, and you don't hear of many having their attitude questioned as much by scouts and seasoned observers. If makeup were a tool, it appears that Yorman's would grade-out very low at this point. That doesn't disqualify him as a prospect, but it certainly enters into the mix for an exercise like this.

The DARK
11-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Torreyes for his production and superb defense at a critical position. Then Soto, Sappelt, and Y-Rod.

Really, though, most of the guys from Cozart through Y-Rod are incredibly close. Kudos to our farm system.

Also, petition to add Juan Duran in the next poll as well?

dougdirt
11-08-2011, 04:10 PM
No question, Yorman is still very young and has time to mature and get his act together. We're all hoping he does. That said, and without full knowledge of the circumstances, he has issues that most 18-year-old professional ballplayers simply don't. You don't see many guys missing in action as he has been, and you don't hear of many having their attitude questioned as much by scouts and seasoned observers. If makeup were a tool, it appears that Yorman's would grade-out very low at this point. That doesn't disqualify him as a prospect, but it certainly enters into the mix for an exercise like this.

Missing in action? The guy had a hurt shoulder to end the season.

As for not hearing guys attitude questioned so much.... well, I think this can really be two fold. First, there simply aren't many 18 year olds to compare him to at the levels he has been at. I didn't read anything from the Billings papers last year about any attitude issues. Not once. We never heard about it from Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus or any other evaluation service. Secondly, we are in a day and age where information is much more freely available, even compared to 5 years ago. The Reds haven't had a prospect the age of Yorman in full season ball (aside from Ronald Torreyes) since at least back to 1995, when I stopped looking. The point is, we simply don't have much of a baseline comparison at all to work with here as far as "well we heard about it" because we have one example to compare it to in the last 15+ years and it was a guy who also happened to there at the same time. When we toss in the circumstances that I brought up in my earlier post, I think it is just a bit much to jump onto those "attitude" issues that he apparently has, at least to the point where he is being dinged by them at age 18. If we are still hearing about it in 4-5 years, it is an issue.

bubbachunk
11-08-2011, 04:25 PM
It looks like we are going to end up with our first run off vote. The polls run for 3 days at a time right?

Mario-Rijo
11-08-2011, 05:39 PM
He was 18 years old. He was dealing with several off the field personal issues during the season..... while being 2300 miles from home. He had a child. His grandmother and best friend died on the same day in separate incidents. He is immature by nature given that he was 18 years old (like most 18 year olds are). There were 3 guys under 19 in the entire league who spent even half a season in the league. He was one of them. Of course he is going to be immature. By definition, he is that given the surrounding group. I just think that some people are taking this entirely too far without looking at the context.

It's more than immaturity with Yorman it's entitlement. Something his fellow 18 year old counterparts don't seem to have. My 11 year old nephew asked all 3 for an autograph after a game this season and Yorman not only refused but waved him away arrogantly and needlessly. And it's not only that you can see it in his play.

And entitlement as we know usually adds up to a guy not putting in the work he needs to reach his full potential.

camisadelgolf
11-08-2011, 05:52 PM
It looks like we are going to end up with our first run off vote. The polls run for 3 days at a time right?
They run three days, but because I got a late start on Sunday, I made it four. We may start the runoff a little early though. I'm playing it a little bit by ear unless people have a problem with it.

dougdirt
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
It's more than immaturity with Yorman it's entitlement. Something his fellow 18 year old counterparts don't seem to have. My 11 year old nephew asked all 3 for an autograph after a game this season and Yorman not only refused but waved him away arrogantly and needlessly. And it's not only that you can see it in his play.

And entitlement as we know usually adds up to a guy not putting in the work he needs to reach his full potential.

What counterparts? As I have noted, the Reds have had TWO in the last 15+ years in full season ball. And even then, if we are only going to be talking about all the minor leaguers and full season ball, with the amount of data we get now compared to even five years ago on these players, we are still working with an incredibly small number of 18 year olds in full season ball to even begin to try and compare him to.

As for turning away a kid for an autograph.... that doesn't tell me anything about the guy on the field. At all.

Again, I just feel that some are making a much larger deal about this than is needed.

dougdirt
11-08-2011, 06:04 PM
They run three days, but because I got a late start on Sunday, I made it four. We may start the runoff a little early though. I'm playing it a little bit by ear unless people have a problem with it.

What are the lengths for run offs? They aren't 3 days are they?

mace
11-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Missing in action? The guy had a hurt shoulder to end the season.

As for not hearing guys attitude questioned so much.... well, I think this can really be two fold. First, there simply aren't many 18 year olds to compare him to at the levels he has been at. I didn't read anything from the Billings papers last year about any attitude issues. Not once. We never heard about it from Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus or any other evaluation service. Secondly, we are in a day and age where information is much more freely available, even compared to 5 years ago. The Reds haven't had a prospect the age of Yorman in full season ball (aside from Ronald Torreyes) since at least back to 1995, when I stopped looking. The point is, we simply don't have much of a baseline comparison at all to work with here as far as "well we heard about it" because we have one example to compare it to in the last 15+ years and it was a guy who also happened to there at the same time. When we toss in the circumstances that I brought up in my earlier post, I think it is just a bit much to jump onto those "attitude" issues that he apparently has, at least to the point where he is being dinged by them at age 18. If we are still hearing about it in 4-5 years, it is an issue.

No, there was an earlier occasion when he wasn't around and nobody knew where he was. I wish I could remember the exact scenario. I believe it was when all the other highly touted young guys reported early to spring training and he was conspicuously absent. Again, there may have been legitimate circumstances. We just don't know. But there's sort of a buildup of caution flags that we've been seeing with him.

Does the fact that he was playing in Dayton really have much to do with it? Is it harder to play with a good attitude in Dayton than it is in, say, the AZL, where there are a lot of 18-year-olds?

You make good points, and there's certainly something to be said for giving him the benefit of the doubt. But if a guy is to be considered a top prospect, it's pretty important that he goes about his business the right way. We simply haven't seen that yet from Yorman. Some guys have latent power that shows up after a couple years. Maybe Yorman has some latent makeup.

camisadelgolf
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
What are the lengths for run offs? They aren't 3 days are they?
In the past, they have been one day. Do you think a longer time would be better?

dougdirt
11-08-2011, 06:14 PM
In the past, they have been one day. Do you think a longer time would be better?

One day seems fine to me, I just was thinking that three days would be longer than needed, but wasn't sure what the timeline was for them.

camisadelgolf
11-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Unless Rodriguez or Soto breaks away, we'll likely do the runoff tomorrow.

Mario-Rijo
11-08-2011, 06:18 PM
What counterparts? As I have noted, the Reds have had TWO in the last 15+ years in full season ball. And even then, if we are only going to be talking about all the minor leaguers and full season ball, with the amount of data we get now compared to even five years ago on these players, we are still working with an incredibly small number of 18 year olds in full season ball to even begin to try and compare him to.

As for turning away a kid for an autograph.... that doesn't tell me anything about the guy on the field. At all.

Again, I just feel that some are making a much larger deal about this than is needed.

Who cares what level they are, immaturity for their age is the point. And Yorman is acting like a 14 year old these days from all reports. As far as turning a kid away that is to be expected, but not the way he did it.

Of course you do Doug you think that for every prospect you like. Which is fine if you really see them that way you have earned the right to make your argument and it have some merit. But you obviously don't know any better than anyone else because all you have layed out is conjecture yourself. No facts to back up your argument that this particular player is acting less professional than any other person for their age. So let people have their opinion and we will let you have yours.

dougdirt
11-08-2011, 06:20 PM
No, there was an earlier occasion when he wasn't around and nobody knew where he was. I wish I could remember the exact scenario. I believe it was when all the other highly touted young guys reported early to spring training and he was conspicuously absent. Again, there may have been legitimate circumstances. We just don't know. But there's sort of a buildup of caution flags that we've been seeing with him.
I believe that you are right. Also, given the timeline of the birth of his child, around that time is probably when he was just finding out that it existed. Whether that has anything at all to do with why he didn't show up early when invited, I have no idea. As for caution flags, I will just say that all I have heard about on him has all been directly from this year. His third in the system. To me that suggests more circumstances than actual issues.

Does the fact that he was playing in Dayton really have much to do with it? Is it harder to play with a good attitude in Dayton than it is in, say, the AZL, where there are a lot of 18-year-olds?
I think it makes a difference in perception, yes. When he has been surrounded by other younger players in the AZL and Billings in the past two seasons, we never once heard any issues about his on the field attitude or effort. We never heard about any off the field issues with him either. Is it because they didn't exist? No idea. Is it because he was being compared to other players more along his age line, even though he was always much younger than the others? No idea, but it could be, especially since there is at least some history of those levels having other players close to his age come through. Dayton simply doesn't have any counterpart for comparison with him ever until Ronald Torreyes showed up in June, after we had already started hearing things, meaning that people were then also continuing to look for things to confirm that. Maybe it isn't perception. But I think it absolutely could be too, at least in part, because there simply haven't been anyone else his age on the team in its history, or even in a Reds full season league since at least 1995 when I stopped looking.

mdccclxix
11-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Where is Yorman slated for in 2012?

redsfandan
11-09-2011, 09:03 AM

Unless Rodriguez or Soto breaks away, we'll likely do the runoff tomorrow.

Make it 2 days. It's easy for someone to miss things when they get swamped with life. Besides, just because it would be set to last 2 days doesn't mean people would have to wait the full 2 days before moving onto the next poll. Just like with this thread's poll.

dougdirt
11-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Where is Yorman slated for in 2012?

I imagine he heads back to Dayton, at least for half a season. He will still be one of the 10-15 youngest players in the league at that point.

lollipopcurve
11-10-2011, 08:59 AM
I imagine he heads back to Dayton, at least for half a season.

Doug, somebody has posted on your site that Yorman was sent back to VZ uninjured and said he would not be back. Do you have any idea whether there is truth to this story? Have you checked into it?

I'll say this again -- Yorman has always played some winter ball in VZ, but he is not doing so this year. What is going on with this kid?

dougdirt
11-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Doug, somebody has posted on your site that Yorman was sent back to VZ uninjured and said he would not be back. Do you have any idea whether there is truth to this story? Have you checked into it?

I'll say this again -- Yorman has always played some winter ball in VZ, but he is not doing so this year. What is going on with this kid?

No clue on that. Wouldn't even know where to begin to check on something like that.

As for him playing winter ball.... he had a shoulder injury at the end of the year. Maybe he just isn't healthy?

lollipopcurve
11-10-2011, 09:49 AM
As for him playing winter ball.... he had a shoulder injury at the end of the year. Maybe he just isn't healthy?

That would probably be preferable to the alternative. But your poster said he was uninjured.

There's just too much uncertainty swirling around Yorman these days for me to keep him highly ranked as a prospect.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 09:53 AM
That would probably be preferable to the alternative. But your poster said he was uninjured.

There's just too much uncertainty swirling around Yorman these days for me to keep him highly ranked as a prospect.
In the runoff, I went with Rodriguez, so I'll make a similar, vague, foundless post on a random message board about Neftali Soto to help Yorman's odds.

lollipopcurve
11-10-2011, 10:19 AM
so I'll make a similar, vague, foundless post on a random message board about Neftali Soto to help Yorman's odds.

It may be foundless, it may not be. How do you know?

It certainly wasn't vague.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 10:37 AM
It may be foundless, it may not be. How do you know?

It certainly wasn't vague.
The post in question isn't necessarily vague and/or without foundation, but if people are going to factor stuff like that into the voting--which doesn't bother me at all, believe it or not--I may just start doing similar things to skew the voting since that's the kind of jerk I am. I also plan on hacking baseball-reference.com to change a lot of the players' stats.

dougdirt
11-10-2011, 02:25 PM

I have heard that before. Just because the doctor couldn't find something doesn't mean you aren't feeling something.

New Fever
11-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Yorman was on the Instructional League roster on the BA website.