PDA

View Full Version : Giants trade Sanchez to Royals for Cabrera

cinreds21
11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
The San Francisco Giants have traded left-handed pitcher Jonathan Sanchez and minor league pitcher Ryan Verdugo to the Kansas City Royals for outfielder Melky Cabrera.

reds1869
11-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Didn't see that one coming.

penantboundreds
11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Sounds like a horrible deal for SF

Tom Servo
11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Steal for the Royals, in my opinion.

RedsManRick
11-07-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm sure most people will call this a steal for Dayton Moore and he certainly got the upside. But nobody should be surprised if Cabrera outproduces. While AT&T is death to HR, Kauffman is right there with Oakland and Seattle as the toughest AL park for homers.

bucksfan2
11-07-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm sure most people will call this a steal for Dayton Moore and he certainly got the upside. But nobody should be surprised if Cabrera outproduces. While AT&T is death to HR, Kauffman is right there with Oakland and Seattle as the toughest AL park for homers.

Wasn't Sanchez largely considered a left handed Edinson Volquez? I guy with fantastic stuff but can't put it all together? I remember them talking about Sanchez when the Reds played the Giants and how frustrating of a pitcher he was for a manager.

cinreds21
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Wasn't Sanchez largely considered a left handed Edinson Volquez? I guy with fantastic stuff but can't put it all together? I remember them talking about Sanchez when the Reds played the Giants and how frustrating of a pitcher he was for a manager.

That's how I view him.

fearofpopvol1
11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
I think the Royals got a great deal here. I wish the Reds could have grabbed Sanchez.

lollipopcurve
11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I like the deal for the Giants. Sanchez is very wild, and he's had arm issues.

But time will tell.

RedsManRick
11-07-2011, 01:58 PM

Indeed. And Giants fans treated him the same way, putting great value on him because he'd be an ace if he could get the walks under control.

Pitcher control seems to be comparable to hitter contact ability; people treat it as malleable and likely to improve with dedicated effort. And thus, stardom is just around the corner for pitchers who are limited by a lack of control.

Benihana
11-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I never liked Sanchez all that much, but still I expected the Giants to get more than one year of Melky Cabrera for him.

Good news is this appears to suggest that the Royals won't be trading Lorenzo Cain for Jair Jurrjens. If I'm the Reds, I call up Frank Wren and offer up their choice of Stubbs or Heisey and a prospect for Jurrjens and see where that goes.

osuceltic
11-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Indeed. And Giants fans treated him the same way, putting great value on him because he'd be an ace if he could get the walks under control.

Pitcher control seems to be comparable to hitter contact ability; people treat it as malleable and likely to improve with dedicated effort. And thus, stardom is just around the corner for pitchers who are limited by a lack of control.

It has proven to be more correctable, at least as far as my anecdotal memory serves. Guys like Sandy Koufax and Randy Johnson overcame early control issues. Doesn't dismiss your argument at all, just not sure I'd consider the two comparable.

wlf WV
11-07-2011, 02:41 PM

I do Rick. In this way,there will probably be no cure all for either,but a lack of maximum effort by either will produce more desirable effects.

I think either can be improved ,albeit most only modestly.Some of us believe less in the players predestination.

wally post
11-07-2011, 03:17 PM
This is another trade where I shake my head - Melky Cabrerra??? Somebody needs to wake Walt up. - Melky is not even a Heisey in my opinion so it's another trade where my blood pressure rises... Yikes!

Vottomatic
11-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I dunno.

Career e.r.a. of 4.26.
For his career of 708 innings pitched, he's only allowed 607 hits, and batters are hitting .231 against him. 736 K's in 708 innings pitched.

He's only 29.

Yeah, he struggles giving up walks. But the rest of his numbers are pretty good.

Red Leader
11-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I think this is a great trade for Kansas City. They have a ton of talent on the way up. They can afford to lose Melky's leadership next year after getting some of their young players some experience this year. Adding Sanchez to their rotation is a definite improvement over what they had, no matter who's spot he takes.

crazybob60
11-07-2011, 03:41 PM
This is another trade where I shake my head - Melky Cabrerra??? Somebody needs to wake Walt up. - Melky is not even a Heisey in my opinion so it's another trade where my blood pressure rises... Yikes!

I'll second this wholeheartedly. Stop pressing the snooze button Walt.

blumj
11-07-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm done waiting for pitchers who can't stop walking guys to suddenly wake up and stop walking guys. They can all go to some other league on some other planet, and they can take all the pitchers who dawdle for 5 minutes between pitches with them.

wlf WV
11-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Upon closer inspection it seems SF did not get cheated.I think it's our need and want that makes this deal look in KC's favor.

It's amazing how your bias influences perception.

CTA513
11-07-2011, 05:15 PM
The Reds have enough guys who have problems walking batters.

MikeS21
11-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Sorry, but Walt can sleep through deals like this all winter (and summer). He didn't miss anything in this deal.

Tom Servo
11-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Upon closer inspection it seems SF did not get cheated.I think it's our need and want that makes this deal look in KC's favor.

It's amazing how your bias influences perception.
I still think it's a steal for KC because I don't think much of Melky Cabrera.

Vottomatic
11-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Most deals that happen have me shaking my head at Walt. Nearly every deal that I would be interested, I feel the team that got the player I wanted gave up less than the Reds could/would/should have.

15fan
11-07-2011, 07:26 PM

If I was building a AAAA team, I'd consider Melky as a 5th outfielder.

blumj
11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't either, but I also don't think much of Sanchez. He's nearing 30 and has never managed an acceptable walk rate while pitching in one of the easiest environments in MLB. If my team had traded anything useful for either of them, I wouldn't be happy about it, but, since they were traded for each other, I think it's okay for both.