PDA

View Full Version : HanRam - On the block?

mattfeet
11-07-2011, 05:41 PM
So it appears per MLBTR that Marlins are in very hot pursuit of Jose Reyes. According to the article there are no internal discussions to move HanRam to another position. The Marlins contacted Reyes' agent 1 min after the phone-lines opened expressing their interest.

Im admittedly pretty awful in creating hypothetical trades, and I also think that HanRam is a bit of a basketcase, but I wouldn't mind giving him a shot a SS. Id even overpay and give him a 1yr deal. Give Cozart some more time to make sure he's 110% healthy for 2013. If we're out of the running at the 2012 deadline, ship HanRam off to a contender for a decently sizable return.

Now, Im also very high on Logan Morrison (keeping with the shortened, albeit combined nicknames, we'll go with LoMo). For those of you who know better than myself, what would it take to get these two in a package deal? LoMo could potentially be our LFer of the future (plan to keep him longer term) and hope he can turn into a LF Bruce.

I know Marlins are looking for pitching, specifically LHP. Id offer them something along the lines of:

1) Travis Wood
2) Yasmani Grandal
3) __________?

for

1) HanRam
2) Logan Morrison

They have Paul LoDuca in catcher. He put up some good numbers last year, but hes also 39 years old, and a highly touted catching prospect could make them think.

Thoughts?

-Matt

blumj
11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
So it appears per MLBTR that Marlins are in very hot pursuit of Jose Reyes. According to the article there are no internal discussions to move HanRam to another position. The Marlins contacted Reyes' agent 1 min after the phone-lines opened expressing their interest.

Im admittedly pretty awful in creating hypothetical trades, and I also think that HanRam is a bit of a basketcase, but I wouldn't mind giving him a shot a SS. Id even overpay and give him a 1yr deal. Give Cozart some more time to make sure he's 110% healthy for 2013. If we're out of the running at the 2012 deadline, ship HanRam off to a contender for a decently sizable return.

Now, Im also very high on Logan Morrison (keeping with the shortened, albeit combined nicknames, we'll go with LoMo). For those of you who know better than myself, what would it take to get these two in a package deal? LoMo could potentially be our LFer of the future (plan to keep him longer term) and hope he can turn into a LF Bruce.

I know Marlins are looking for pitching, specifically LHP. Id offer them something along the lines of:

1) Travis Wood
2) Yasmani Grandal
3) __________?

for

1) HanRam
2) Logan Morrison

They have Paul LoDuca in catcher. He put up some good numbers last year, but hes also 39 years old, and a highly touted catching prospect could make them think.

Thoughts?

-Matt
He's under contract for 3 years $46.5M.

cinreds21
11-07-2011, 06:01 PM
First off that deal would not come even close to getting those two.

And second, he already said he'd move to third if Reyes came in.

mattfeet
11-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Hmm...

How could the Reds package a deal to get Marlins to chip in 15m? I doubt they can afford HanRam if they're serous about Reyes and Pujols/Fielder.

Thoughts?

Matt

cinreds21
11-07-2011, 06:03 PM
They are spending money this off-season. They can afford it.

And it'd take a really, really good package to get Hanley and LoMo.

camisadelgolf
11-07-2011, 06:28 PM
If you acquire Logan Morrison, that means you have Morrison, Joey Votto, and Yonder Alonso. Imho, he's not a huge upgrade over Alonso in left field defensively, so he wouldn't be a target of mine.

Despite all the hoopla in the media, I am extremely doubtful that the Marlins would consider trading HanRam. It's certainly not impossible, but with the new stadium being ready for next year, I just don't see them looking to deal their best, most marketable player. But I'll play along and try to come up with a trade proposal.

Reds receive:
Hanley Ramirez - All-Star caliber shortstop you could fit anywhere in the lineup
Jose Ceda - has closer stuff and has been dominant in the minors the past couple years

Marlins receive:
Travis Wood - should be an easy upgrade over Brad Hand
Yasmani Grandal - Reds have Mesoraco, and the Marlins are lacking in the catching department
Ryan LaMarre - although the Reds are a little thin in center field prospects, they can get by with Stubbs for the next few years and come up with someone else when his time is up (Yorman Rodriguez?); the Marlins don't have much in the way of pure center field prospects either, so I'm sure they wouldn't mind having LaMarre
Billy Hamilton - the Reds are deep in young shortstops, which makes Hamilton expendable; he's one of the Reds' top prospects anyway, so that has to make him attractive to any potential trade partner
Juan Francisco - just a throw-in and doesn't even need to be in the deal, but maybe the Marlins have a use for him; could be Greg Dobbs' replacement

In terms of 40-man roster spots, the Marlins would be adding two players, which teams don't like to do. I'm sure there's a guy not on the Reds' 40-man roster who would have just as much value as Francisco. Either way, the Marlins would be receiving guys with very high ceilings in addition to a couple guys who are very likely to contribute solid numbers for a long time. For the Reds, if they can't extend Brandon Phillips, they could move HanRam or Cozart to second base in 2013.

Griffey012
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Florida wants to make a splash going into their new ballpark right?

How about we ship them Chapman as the centerpiece of a package for HanRam and another prospect or two if they toss in some salary relief.

redsfandan
11-07-2011, 06:44 PM
If you acquire Logan Morrison, that means you have Morrison, Joey Votto, and Yonder Alonso. Imho, he's not a huge upgrade over Alonso in left field defensively, so he wouldn't be a target of mine.

Despite all the hoopla in the media, I am extremely doubtful that the Marlins would consider trading HanRam. It's certainly not impossible, but with the new stadium being ready for next year, I just don't see them looking to deal their best, most marketable player. But I'll play along and try to come up with a trade proposal.

Reds receive:
Hanley Ramirez - All-Star caliber shortstop you could fit anywhere in the lineup
Jose Ceda - has closer stuff and has been dominant in the minors the past couple years

Marlins receive:
Travis Wood - should be an easy upgrade over Brad Hand
Yasmani Grandal - Reds have Mesoraco, and the Marlins are lacking in the catching department
Ryan LaMarre - although the Reds are a little thin in center field prospects, they can get by with Stubbs for the next few years and come up with someone else when his time is up (Yorman Rodriguez?); the Marlins don't have much in the way of pure center field prospects either, so I'm sure they wouldn't mind having LaMarre
Billy Hamilton - the Reds are deep in young shortstops, which makes Hamilton expendable; he's one of the Reds' top prospects anyway, so that has to make him attractive to any potential trade partner
Juan Francisco - just a throw-in and doesn't even need to be in the deal, but maybe the Marlins have a use for him; could be Greg Dobbs' replacement

In terms of 40-man roster spots, the Marlins would be adding two players, which teams don't like to do. I'm sure there's a guy not on the Reds' 40-man roster who would have just as much value as Francisco. Either way, the Marlins would be receiving guys with very high ceilings in addition to a couple guys who are very likely to contribute solid numbers for a long time. For the Reds, if they can't extend Brandon Phillips, they could move HanRam or Cozart to second base in 2013.

Seriously? That's too much. Ramirez isn't cheap and he's not that good defensively. He'd be a good but expensive heir to Rolen at 3rd. That's just alot to give up.

redsfandan
11-07-2011, 07:08 PM
For what it's worth, if the Reds were really going to get a shortstop upgrade I think I might prefer Rollins over Hanley. While Hanley will obviously provide more offense Rollins is a better defender and I like his makeup ("veteran leadership qualities" etc) alot more as well and that has some value since the Reds have such a young team. Plus, since he would only cost the Reds a 2nd round pick the Reds could then use some of those prospects to improve the team somewhere else. I'm content with Cozart though and I think the Reds are as well so I'm not expecting anything along these lines to happen.

Vottomatic
11-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Let's go after Mike Stanton. He fills our righthanded power hitting leftfielder/cleanup hitter need.

Overwhelm them with an offer for the guy.

I don't want Ramirez and the Reds won't add payroll for a SS when they have Cozart. The only thing ownership will add payroll for, IMHO, is a top of the line starter.

dougdirt
11-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Let's go after Mike Stanton. He fills our righthanded power hitting leftfielder/cleanup hitter need.

Overwhelm them with an offer for the guy.

I don't want Ramirez and the Reds won't add payroll for a SS when they have Cozart. The only thing ownership will add payroll for, IMHO, is a top of the line starter.

They aren't trading Mike Stanton. Well, unless you do something stupid like offer them Joey Votto and Johnny Cueto.

MikeThierry
11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Stanton seems like an untouchable player in their organization. I have also heard rumors that they have talked to Fielder and Pujols agents. It could be very interesting if they were to get one of those players. It might make them want to trade Ramirez just to dump some salary for some of those big named free agents. On the other hand, they could also be looking to go all in. Could you imagine a lineup with Pujols/Fielder and Reyes as leadoff? That would be insane.

klw
11-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Could you imagine a Reds lineup with Votto and Reyes as leadoff? That would be insane.
Fixed this for you.;)

BCubb2003
11-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I have modest hopes next year for ZaCo.

cinreds21
11-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Just by the way, I know the Marlins and how they work better than the Reds. I was "with" the Marlins for six years so I'm not just making crazy remarks about what they would or would not do.

mattfeet
11-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Just by the way, I know the Marlins and how they work better than the Reds. I was "with" the Marlins for six years so I'm not just making crazy remarks about what they would or would not do.

Ah, very cool. :)

Ron Madden
11-08-2011, 03:00 AM
I'd rather have Ramirez than Rollins. I'd love to have Reyes and Stanton. I'd love to see the Reds keep Joey Votto.

Those are just pipe dreams that will not come true because the Reds could not afford to keep any of these guys and build a competitive team around them.

Dan
11-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Fixed this for you.;)

Ima sayin'...if BCast ever wanted to make a splash, and a difference to this organization going forward, he'd do just what you suggested and sign Reyes, no matter the price. Would 8/200 do it?

redsfandan
11-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Ima sayin'...if BCast ever wanted to make a splash, and a difference to this organization going forward, he'd do just what you suggested and sign Reyes, no matter the price. Would 8/200 do it?
Sure that would do it. That would do alot of things. :lol:

CySeymour
11-08-2011, 09:29 AM
They aren't trading Mike Stanton. Well, unless you do something stupid like offer them Joey Votto and Johnny Cueto.

The Marlins wouldn't do that deal, either since there is a lot of money tied up to both.

Scrap Irony
11-08-2011, 09:54 AM
In order to get Ramirez, I'd think it'd take a three-team blockbuster along the lines of:

Reds ship Joey Votto and Drew Stubbs to Toronto for Colby Rasmus, Brandon Morrow, Kyle Drabek, and uber-prospects RHP Drew Hutchison and CF Jake Marisnick.

The Reds would then ship Yonder Alonso, Dave Sappelt (or Chris Heisey), Aroldis Chapman, Drabek, Edinson Volquez, Juan Francisco, and Morrow to Florida for Ramirez, Gabby Sanchez, and Logan Morrison.

While I don't know if I'd do it (and it has no chance in the real world), that would be one fun trade to digest. It'd be a blast just seeing Redszone's reaction to it.

dougdirt
11-08-2011, 10:16 AM
The Marlins wouldn't do that deal, either since there is a lot of money tied up to both.

The Marlins have the money, especially for two seasons.

Jpup
11-08-2011, 12:40 PM
In order to get Ramirez, I'd think it'd take a three-team blockbuster along the lines of:

Reds ship Joey Votto and Drew Stubbs to Toronto for Colby Rasmus, Brandon Morrow, Kyle Drabek, and uber-prospects RHP Drew Hutchison and CF Jake Marisnick.

The Reds would then ship Yonder Alonso, Dave Sappelt (or Chris Heisey), Aroldis Chapman, Drabek, Edinson Volquez, Juan Francisco, and Morrow to Florida for Ramirez, Gabby Sanchez, and Logan Morrison.

While I don't know if I'd do it (and it has no chance in the real world), that would be one fun trade to digest. It'd be a blast just seeing Redszone's reaction to it.

So Votto, Stubbs, Yonder, Chapman plus for Hanley, Gabby, LoMo and prospects.. Not in a million years.

CySeymour
11-08-2011, 02:32 PM
The Marlins have the money, especially for two seasons.

Shoot, I forgot about their new stadium et al...thanks, Doug.

Scrap Irony
11-08-2011, 02:55 PM
So Votto, Stubbs, Yonder, Chapman plus for Hanley, Gabby, LoMo and prospects.. Not in a million years.

Maybe not. But that's, IMO, what it would take to get it done.

Vottomatic
11-08-2011, 04:03 PM

Well, I never took you seriously because when I click on your profile, it says you're 21 years old. Link: http://www.redszone.com/forums/member.php?u=8257

Now you say you worked for the Marlins for 6 years?

What is your correct age, if I may ask?

I'd consider you are 21 years old, and I'd dismiss your comments. Sorry.

Vottomatic
11-08-2011, 04:04 PM

There are alot of guys over the years I thought would never get traded.

Never say never.

dougdirt
11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
There are alot of guys over the years I thought would never get traded.

Never say never.

How many of those guys were heading into their age 22 season coming off of a .262/.356/.537 (OPS+ of 141) season though?

cinreds21
11-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Well, I never took you seriously because when I click on your profile, it says you're 21 years old. Link: http://www.redszone.com/forums/member.php?u=8257

Now you say you worked for the Marlins for 6 years?

What is your correct age, if I may ask?

I'd consider you are 21 years old, and I'd dismiss your comments. Sorry.

Hence why I put 'worked' in quotation marks. I was around the Marlins for six years. I know almost all their people, GMs, coordinators, coaches, ect. I know that organization inside and out. Believe me if you want, I really don't care.

Vottomatic
11-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Hence why I put 'worked' in quotation marks. I was around the Marlins for six years. I know almost all their people, GMs, coordinators, coaches, ect. I know that organization inside and out. Believe me if you want, I really don't care.

No. I probably didn't make myself clear.

I was sort of apologizing because when I clicked on your public profile, which I provided a link for, it lists you as 21 years old.

So up until now, I thought you were too young to be making some of the comments you have made.

I assume you are alot older than 21.

Hopefully that clarifies my comments.

cinreds21
11-08-2011, 09:59 PM
No. I probably didn't make myself clear.

I was sort of apologizing because when I clicked on your public profile, which I provided a link for, it lists you as 21 years old.

So up until now, I thought you were too young to be making some of the comments you have made.

I assume you are alot older than 21.

Hopefully that clarifies my comments.

Oh ok I understand now. But I am 21, for what it's worth.