PDA

View Full Version : ESPN and Journalistic Integrity

BuckeyeRed27
11-07-2011, 07:16 PM
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/10/the-smartest-guys-in-the-room#more

This topic came up a lot in the last OSU Football thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. This is a very well written column that brings up a lot of good points about ESPN and its business model.

MWM
11-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Great read, and very well written. I've very little use for ESPN for years now for many of the reasons listed in that article.

Slyder
11-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Journalism died a long time ago, ESPN was barely journalism at any point.

bucksfan2
11-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Journalism died a long time ago, ESPN was barely journalism at any point.

I would say Journalism died when blogs became must reads on the internet. From sports to news to politics anyone and everyone can post anything without having proper journalism integrity. Its unfortunate that too many people pay attention to these "shock" blogs.

BuckeyeRed27
11-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I would say Journalism died when blogs became must reads on the internet. From sports to news to politics anyone and everyone can post anything without having proper journalism integrity. Its unfortunate that too many people pay attention to these "shock" blogs.

That is very true, but no one blog holds the media power that ESPN does. ESPN has a resonsibility to do better and they don't. Infact more often than not, they push their own adgenda and fan the flames even further. They are basically a monopoly and that is too bad.

UKFlounder
11-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Go read some newspapers from the 1850s or a similar old time period when newspapers intentionally were known as a "Republican press" or "Democratic paper" and tell me they were any better than now. Or how about the 1890s and Hearst (IIRC) trying to force the US into war with Spain.

I think the entire concept "journalistic integrity" or "objectivity" is a bit overblown. Maybe it is an ideal, but saying it's so much worse today than
ever before strikes me as a mistake.

These issues existed long before blogs were ever dreamt of

Brutus
11-08-2011, 04:38 PM
The unfortunate reality is that government, business and media are intertwined. It's impossible to avoid bias in reporting now.

BuckeyeRed27
11-08-2011, 05:05 PM
The unfortunate reality is that government, business and media are intertwined. It's impossible to avoid bias in reporting now.

I guess my problem with it is that in almost any other field (news, politics, religion, etc.) if you don't like what you are seeing there is somewhere else to do. If you don't like CNN go watch Fox News. ESPN really has no competitor and I'd say the majority of casual sports fans get their sports "news" from ESPN. Of course there are sites like SI.com and Yahoo and other outlets on TV, but they all have a much smaller scale. ESPN did a great job in getting to where they are now, but they are abusing that now.

Brutus
11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I guess my problem with it is that in almost any other field (news, politics, religion, etc.) if you don't like what you are seeing there is somewhere else to do. If you don't like CNN go watch Fox News. ESPN really has no competitor and I'd say the majority of casual sports fans get their sports "news" from ESPN. Of course there are sites like SI.com and Yahoo and other outlets on TV, but they all have a much smaller scale. ESPN did a great job in getting to where they are now, but they are abusing that now.

I have no respect for their editorializing things, but it's not their fault they have no competition. FOX could have been competition, but they're poorly run and more concerned with having assets to report to their stakeholders than actually trying to run legitimate programming. Versus was a diamond-in-the-rough, but spent too much of its resources going after mountain biking and other things people care little about. Fortunately, Comcast has seen an opening and is pushing that channel -- now NBC Sports -- to compete with ESPN.

I guess your points are ESPN are valid, but I don't think whether they have competition is relevant inasmuch as they shouldn't editorialize regardless.

MWM
11-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Simple bias isn't the issue here, it's the conflict of interest that's the big problem.

*BaseClogger*
11-08-2011, 09:06 PM

I think more often than not bloggers take a much more independent view of the topic of conversation than the giant media conglomerates. Take the post from this thread for example...

Yachtzee
11-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Simple bias isn't the issue here, it's the conflict of interest that's the big problem.

No kidding. I rarely watch ESPN unless it's showing an actual sporting event I'm interested in. Otherwise, it seems like an infomercial for ESPN and the sports teams/leagues/conferences with which it has some kind of relationship. Look no further than the coverage of LeBron James' free agency. Or refusing to report on allegations of rape against Ben Roethlisberger, who I believed was appearing on some ESPN program at the time. Imagine if the whole OJ Simpson affair occurred in this day and age, with OJ having a popular show on ESPN. I can only guess how ESPN of today would cover it.

If ESPN wants to claim journalistic integrity, it has to run it's news department separate from it's other programming departments and give the management of the news department complete independence with regard to story and editorial content.

RFS62
11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
ESPN and journalistic integrity?

Bwahahahahahahahaha

I'm sure they're right up there with MTV

Roy Tucker
11-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Richard Deitch on Tebow and ESPN...

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/dv9ba0

bucksfan2
11-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I think more often than not bloggers take a much more independent view of the topic of conversation than the giant media conglomerates. Take the post from this thread for example...

The problem I have with bloggers is they very rarely take accountability for their articles. They can write whatever they want and hide behind it. Its almost as if there is a rush to break the news regardless if the source is accurate or not, then there is very little accountability taken.

*BaseClogger*
11-09-2011, 11:29 AM
The problem I have with bloggers is they very rarely take accountability for their articles. They can write whatever they want and hide behind it. Its almost as if there is a rush to break the news regardless if the source is accurate or not, then there is very little accountability taken.

How often do bloggers actually break a story beyond "check out these pictures of Josh Hamilton at a bar"? More often than not, a blog reports a story that has already been printed by the traditional media and provides additional analysis/coverage. Do you have any specific examples in mind?

bucksfan2
11-09-2011, 12:07 PM
How often do bloggers actually break a story beyond "check out these pictures of Josh Hamilton at a bar"? More often than not, a blog reports a story that has already been printed by the traditional media and provides additional analysis/coverage. Do you have any specific examples in mind?

Politico, Drudge Report, TMZ, Huffington Post, PFT, etc.

A lot of these things started out as bloggers and morphed into blogs and to some reliable sources of information.

As for a specific example I do remember a time when Chris Henry was often getting into trouble that PFT broke a couple of false reports that dealt with him getting arrested. There was a time when any rumor was circulating that PFT broke it as fact.

*BaseClogger*
11-09-2011, 03:43 PM
You don't trust the Huffington Post?

forfreelin04
11-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Politico, Drudge Report, TMZ, Huffington Post, PFT, etc.

A lot of these things started out as bloggers and morphed into blogs and to some reliable sources of information.

As for a specific example I do remember a time when Chris Henry was often getting into trouble that PFT broke a couple of false reports that dealt with him getting arrested. There was a time when any rumor was circulating that PFT broke it as fact.

The greater the amount of people, the lower the intelligence. Our 2 party political system is a good example of that.

Out of the animal story here in Zanesville, the only factual info was from the Zanesville Times Recorder. Ever play the telephone game? Word may travel fast in 2011, but it doesnt travel accurately or unbiased.

BCubb2003
11-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Remember, the first word in ESPN is entertainment.

RFS62
11-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Remember, the first word in ESPN is entertainment.

Also remember, they promote themselves as The Worldwide Leader in Sports.

Does that mean entertainment, or news? Or is it such a hybrid in sports that one can't disguinsish?