PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Ramos Kidnapped in Venezuela

Gainesville Red
11-09-2011, 09:32 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/wilson-ramos-kidnapped-in-venezuela.html

Tom Servo
11-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Scary stuff, really hope he ends up home safely. He's a really talented young guy.

westofyou
11-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Probably Bill Smith

RedsBaron
11-09-2011, 10:12 PM
My gosh! :eek:
Venezuela is a mess.
I hope he is returned safely.

Redhook
11-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Just saw this on the news. Very scary. Hopefully, he'll be safely freed soon.

MikeThierry
11-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Unfortunately, this is nothing new in Venezuela. My brothers ex wife is from Venezuela. When she was younger, she was kidnapped and held for ransom as well. Everything turned out ok for her but it was definitely scary. I hope everything works out well for Ramos.

dougdirt
11-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Unfortunately, this is nothing new in Venezuela. My brothers ex wife is from Venezuela. When she was younger, she was kidnapped and held for ransom as well. Everything turned out ok for her but it was definitely scary. I hope everything works out well for Ramos.

Reportedly 98% of Venezuelan kidnappees are returned and most of the ones that don't are from health issues that aren't related to murder by the kidnappers, but missing medications and things like that.

MikeThierry
11-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Reportedly 98% of Venezuelan kidnappees are returned and most of the ones that don't are from health issues that aren't related to murder by the kidnappers, but missing medications and things like that.

Yeah, that is what happened to my brother's ex. It was basically a "business decision". No harm came to her. I pray to god that the same situation happens with Ramos.

Scrap Irony
11-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Were I a professional baseball player from Venezuela, there's no way I'd go back "home" for fear of just this type of happening.

WVPacman
11-10-2011, 12:26 AM
What in the world is this world coming too? Its really sad when people have to stoop down as low to kidnapp anybody.Hope he gets out of there safely and I will definitely be praying for the young man.

George Anderson
11-10-2011, 12:45 AM
I have often wondered why David Concepcion stays there.

RedsBaron
11-10-2011, 07:51 AM

I've wondered the same thing.

Vottomatic
11-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Maybe he's gotten into the lucrative kidnapping business? :D

Yachtzee
11-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I've wondered the same thing.

I suspect he has a lot of pride in being Venezuelan and wants to be with his family. I knew people from Bosnia and Croatia during the Yugoslavian civil war who lived and studied abroad, but would return home regularly in spite of the dangers it posed. I asked them that same question. The answer was that they felt they could help their family by being there and they didn't want the bad guys chasing them from their country. They had every intention of going home permanently once their studies were over.

Chip R
11-10-2011, 10:09 AM

He's like a hero there. He could probably run for President and win.

mdccclxix
11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
The BP Podcast had a guest on a few weeks ago about the Chavez regime and baseball down there. It's in great jeopardy due in no small part to things like this with Ramos. In fact, there is talk in this podcast about real concern for this happening.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15326

skip to 1 hr 40 min in. I'm sure they'll hit on this on the next podcast as well.

George Anderson
11-10-2011, 11:54 AM
He's like a hero there. He could probably run for President and win.

Which unfortunately would make him all that more valuable to kidnappers.

Plus last I heard he was running a pretty profitable chicken farm which is even more appealing to the bad guys.

RedlegJake
11-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Patriotism, they love their country as much as we love ours. We are just lucky enough to have been born in the US. But if it went to hell in a handbasket here, would you let thugs run you out of your own country? I hope Ramos is safe.

dabvu2498
11-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Which unfortunately would make him all that more valuable to kidnappers.

Plus last I heard he was running a pretty profitable chicken farm which is even more appealing to the bad guys.

Farming may be part of his enterprises, but I believe most of his business success came from a transportation company that did business with the oil/gas interests in Venezuela. I got the impression that Davey was rich enough to afford "protection."

redsmetz
11-10-2011, 05:04 PM
And update from the NY Times indicates MLB's investigators have joined the search for Ramos.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/sports/baseball/baseball-joins-search-for-abducted-major-leaguer.html?_r=1&ref=baseball

TRF
11-10-2011, 06:01 PM
And update from the NY Times indicates MLB's investigators have joined the search for Ramos.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/sports/baseball/baseball-joins-search-for-abducted-major-leaguer.html?_r=1&ref=baseball

The same investigators that went after Clemens and Bonds?

oh. my.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 06:50 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/rafaelrojasc/status/134676201754210305

VZ Intelligence police confirm WIlson Ramos is still alive.

Tom Servo
11-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Maybe he's gotten into the lucrative kidnapping business? :D
I feel bad about how funny I found this.

savafan
11-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Still no contact made on the part of the kidnappers

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/wilson-ramos-abduction-in-venezuela-still-no-contact-from-kidnappers-36-hours-in/2011/11/11/gIQAOHUqBN_blog.html

Venezuelan police put out a press release denying the rumor that Wilson had been found dead following the abduction that occurred Wednesday evening.

“The Body of Scientific, Penal and Criminal Investigations (CICPC), denied the occurrence of the alleged corpse of Wilson Ramos in the vicinity of the Plaza de Toro de Valencia,” the press release read.

In the statement, the CICPC added officials believe it possible that more people are involved in Ramos’s abduction than the gunmen who took him front in front of his home in Valencia. They remain convinced Ramos was a specific target.

savafan
11-11-2011, 10:51 PM
It is official: Per @rafaelrojasc Internal affairs minister has called Ramos family & told him they've got him. Wilson Ramos has been freed

oneupper
11-11-2011, 11:00 PM
It is official: Per @rafaelrojasc Internal affairs minister has called Ramos family & told him they've got him. Wilson Ramos has been freed

They probably had him all along. The Venezuelan government is extremely cozy with the Colombian guerillas (FARC & ELN) which are well-known for high profile kidnapping.

Ron Madden
11-12-2011, 04:27 AM
I'm glad he is free, safe and sound.