PDA

View Full Version : Prospect #9 Runoff

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 10:27 AM
OF Yorman Rodriguez, or 1B Neftali Soto?

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 10:27 AM
The poll will run two days.

klw
11-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I went with Soto. Yorman may have a higher upside but he also has a higher bust potential. (Plus he would keep alive the dream of a Reds team of all Y names). Soto also has a good upside with that potential to be a solid middle of the order bat. (Which position he would play is another question)

Edd Roush
11-10-2011, 10:32 AM
My vote goes with Neftali. I love the power and his floor is a lot higher than Yorman. I don't think I would trade Neftali for Yorman if he was on another team, so that is my basis for picking Neftali. I was very excited about his progress this year. Gotta love a kid who broke 30 home runs and had a season slugging of .576. I hope the walks come this year.

redsfandan
11-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Soto has a chance to be good. Now, will he be good enough as a 1st baseman where more offense is expected? Who knows. But, there's a reason why Yorman was ranked 3rd last year. I agree that his mental makeup is something we're going to have to watch. He's already dropped from 3rd last year to, possibly, 9th this year though. I think that's plenty far enough.

lollipopcurve
11-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Soto, and I'm not that high on Soto.

thatcoolguy_22
11-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Staying with Soto. Yorman's mental make-up is arguable (I am on the side that its a legitimate issue) but you can't ignore Soto's power.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 10:58 AM
I like Soto's power, and I understand the comparisons to Derrek Lee, but Soto has a long way to go in terms of getting on base before he's remotely close to Lee's level. Soto has the potential to be a good first baseman whereas Rodriguez has the potential to be an elite outfielder.

TRF
11-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Soto. probably has the best power in the system right now, including Votto, Bruce and Francisco.

mace
11-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Soto seems to have grown from a doubles guy to a HR guy. He gets my vote.

redsfandan
11-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Soto. probably has the best power in the system right now, including Votto, Bruce and Francisco.

So, how many 60 homer seasons do ya think he's gonna have in his career?

lollipopcurve
11-10-2011, 11:27 AM

Uhh, no.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 11:32 AM
At least 25.

TRF
11-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Uhh, no.

uhhh yes.

I didn't say contact, just power. I'd take all three over Soto, because I think all three have a better hit tool. But sheer power? Soto is right there with them at least, and maybe better than Bruce and Votto.

31 HR in 396 AB's

TRF
11-10-2011, 01:54 PM

funny. If he can manage to take a few more walks, get that OBP up to .340+ I can see some 35-40 HR seasons in him. Health permitting, 5-10 of those.

redsfandan
11-10-2011, 04:47 PM
funny. If he can manage to take a few more walks, get that OBP up to .340+ I can see some 35-40 HR seasons in him. Health permitting, 5-10 of those.

Seriously? So, he'll be an all-star 1st baseman.

Kc61
11-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Seriously? So, he'll be an all-star 1st baseman.

It's always hard to compare a younger prospect and a veteran prospect.

But I still think that Soto hasn't yet lived up to his potential. Some of it is injury. I'm not persuaded by his one excellent stat - 30 homers - in one AA season. Not enough for me, particularly since he now seems limited to first base.

Yorman is obviously much more of a raw prospect. But IMO he's off to a good start at a very young age. He apparently has more upside than Soto, and more upside than most (if not all) of the other prospects in the Reds system. Yorman certainly has more upside defensively than Soto.

I'm for Yorman in the runoff.

dougdirt
11-10-2011, 07:09 PM
I went with Yorman here and earlier. I just watch him swing a bat and I see things that other guys simply can't match. I like Soto, having him at #10 on my personal list. But Yorman just has some things going on that others simply can't match.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I went with Yorman here and earlier. I just watch him swing a bat and I see things that other guys simply can't match. I like Soto, having him at #10 on my personal list. But Yorman just has some things going on that others simply can't match.
Would you say Yorman has things going on that others can't match?

dougdirt
11-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Would you say Yorman has things going on that others can't match?

Yes and no. By sheer nature of his age, there aren't many comparables. Despite playing in Dayton this season, and there being two teams in the US lower down the rung, there were only three players in the US younger than him as every day players: Gabriel Rosa, Humberto Valor and Ronald Torreyes. So you are likely to have "immaturity" problems with him compared to other guys by that nature alone. He was one of the youngest 200 players the Reds had in the US for their teams. Beyond that, I will say that I know for a fact that other players have things going on beyond the field of play that I am much more concerned about.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Yes and no. By sheer nature of his age, there aren't many comparables. Despite playing in Dayton this season, and there being two teams in the US lower down the rung, there were only three players in the US younger than him as every day players: Gabriel Rosa, Humberto Valor and Ronald Torreyes. So you are likely to have "immaturity" problems with him compared to other guys by that nature alone. He was one of the youngest 200 players the Reds had in the US for their teams. Beyond that, I will say that I know for a fact that other players have things going on beyond the field of play that I am much more concerned about.
Do you think any Reds prospects have illegitimate children? If so, should they be disqualified from the voting?

dougdirt
11-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Do you think any Reds prospects have illegitimate children? If so, should they be disqualified from the voting?

No clue. And no, it shouldn't disqualify them from the voting.

mth123
11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
I'll take Soto over Yorman, but I have both Sappelt and Torreyes ranked higher than either of them.

fearofpopvol1
11-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Yorman, given the choices. But I like Sappelt better.

The DARK
11-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Soto, since he's closer and has clearly figured something out. Yorman is the closest thing we have to a 5 tool prospect in the system, but he didn't show any of those in a season where his peers did. I'll take a guy with a pretty high chance at 30+ HRs over that any day, especially one that's just hitting AAA. All distractions aside, I think Yorman can still be a great player, but he's got work to do to get back to that #3 spot we had him at.

TRF
11-11-2011, 10:18 AM

You mean like Chapman does?

camisadelgolf
11-11-2011, 11:14 AM
You mean like Chapman does?
I need to see a DNA test before I believe that one.

texasdave
11-11-2011, 03:27 PM

The kid threw his pacifier out of the crib at 73 MPH, lefthanded. Proof enough?

mace
11-11-2011, 04:10 PM
The kid threw his pacifier out of the crib at 73 MPH, lefthanded. Proof enough?

But the next day he was only throwing 66.

TRF
11-11-2011, 04:28 PM

He has a girlfriend and a kid in Cuba. Well documented i believe. That makes the child illegitimate.

camisadelgolf
11-11-2011, 06:50 PM
He has a girlfriend and a kid in Cuba. Well documented i believe. That makes the child illegitimate.
I'm sure it's a Justin Bieber situation; I don't buy it. Aroldis Chapman just wouldn't do that sort of thing.