PDA

View Full Version : Norichika Aoki

Benihana
11-10-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/norichika-aoki-to-be-posted-.html

The Tokyo Yakult Swallows are posting three-time Central League batting champion Norichika Aoki, according to the Japan Times (via Patrick Newman). Teams can now bid for the right to negotiate with the 29-year-old outfielder via the posting system. CAA agent Nez Balelo will represent Aoki, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter).

Aoki hit .292/.358/.360 in 643 plate appearances in 2011 -- a definite dropoff compared to 2010, when he won his third batting title. Last year Newman called Aoki "the best pure hitter Japan has produced since Ichiro," and explained that the outfielder has great range and a below-average arm.

Could he be the Reds next LF if they trade Alonso for pitching? I wonder what he would cost? I also wonder how he compares to Fukodome?

If he costs less than $10MM over 3 years, it might be worth signing him to be the 4th OF and insurance so that they can comfortably discuss trading 1-2 of Stubbs/Heisey/Alonso for pitching. At worst he's a solid 4th OF that probably has some trade value. At best, he's a poor man's Ichiro but a real, everyday LF that can hit and play the position.

As a bonus, maybe he's related to Rocky Aoki, the father of Benihana (restaurants) :beerme:

reds1869
11-10-2011, 10:31 AM
I've seen him play and believe he could be a very good major league outfielder. The description of a poor man's Ichiro is pretty good though in all honesty he is well below that standard in every way.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 10:36 AM
No way. I'm still bitter about Pearl Harbor.

redsfandan
11-10-2011, 10:42 AM
No way. I'm still bitter about Pearl Harbor.

Damn Germans.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Damn Germans.
Hitler was Austrian. The Germans were innocent victims.

TRF
11-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Hitler was Austrian. The Germans were innocent victims.

I never trusted those guys. always wrestling crocodiles and fighting kangaroos.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 05:37 PM
I never trusted those guys. always wrestling crocodiles and fighting kangaroos.
I thought that was the Japanese? Or did you mean the Axis in general?

RedsManRick
11-10-2011, 05:57 PM
If there's anything I want out of a LF it's a .360 SLG in a league comparable to AAA.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2011, 06:18 PM
If there's anything I want out of a LF it's a .360 SLG in a league comparable to AAA.
He was 14th in the league of 24 qualifiers if that helps. :lol:

Before this year, he slugged .497 over four seasons. I don't know what was going in Japan, but slugging went down significantly this year from years past. I want to give a shout-out to Wladimir Balentien for leading the league in slugging (.469) despite being last in the league in batting average (.228).