PDA

View Full Version : Steve Carlton

traderumor
11-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Quick question. Am I remembering wrong that Steve Carlton donned a Reds uniform at one point near the end of his career? I was just reviewing his career and there is no mention of such a transaction, but I could have sworn the Reds signed him at one point. Was it a spring training free agent, or am I remembering wrong?

CySeymour
11-11-2011, 11:29 AM
He never played for the Reds, but there was a point where he was lobbying Pete to have him brought to the Reds after Carlton's time with the Phillies ended.

Always Red
11-11-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't ever remember Carlton playing for the Reds, even in ST.

But I do know that Johnny Bench OWNED Steve Carlton. :)

westofyou
11-11-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't ever remember Carlton playing for the Reds, even in ST.

But I do know that Johnny Bench OWNED Steve Carlton. :)

Hit 3 HRs against him twice, that is stunning

oneupper
11-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Found this on the interweb:

Johnny Bench vs. Steve Carlton

On September 15, 1967, nineteen-year-old Johnny Bench singled off Steve Carlton, a youngster himself at 22 years, despite pitching in his third major league season. Lefty did not let that first meeting rattle him, though, and he retired the young Reds catcher 15 of the next 17 times they met. But Bench would turn things around against Carlton and had a pretty good game against the southpaw on July 26, 1970, when he hit three home runs off the four-time Cy Young Award winner.

Bench continued his successful ways against Carlton, ending up with this very nice line against the first ballot Hall-of-Famer:

Bench vs. Carlton, career
+------+------+------+------+------+------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
| AB | H | HR | RBI | SO | BB | AVG | OBP | SLG | OPS |
| 124 | 37 | 12 | 30 | 20 | 26 | 0.298 | 0.412 | 0.645 | 1.057 |

Roy Tucker
11-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Google is my friend.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1987-02-07/sports/0100450145_1_carlton-reds-spring-training

redsmetz
11-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Google is my friend.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1987-02-07/sports/0100450145_1_carlton-reds-spring-training

Holy Cow, when we have year end awards (assuming we do them this year), this may well give you the nod for "best investigative reporting." I have no memory of this whatsoever. I bow to your mastery of Google.

Roy Tucker
11-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Holy Cow, when we have year end awards (assuming we do them this year), this may well give you the nod for "best investigative reporting." I have no memory of this whatsoever. I bow to your mastery of Google.

"steve carlton" "spring training" "reds"

quoting combinations of words does wonders. my masters thesis from back in the day was on computer search techniques so I have some inklings of how these things work.

westofyou
11-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Data is king, learn to manipulate it and you will be the emperor

traderumor
11-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Google is my friend.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1987-02-07/sports/0100450145_1_carlton-reds-spring-trainingI saw that from the same search you ran, but it only talked about "thinking about an invitation to ST." That must be what I'm remembering though.

RFS62
11-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Data is king, learn to manipulate it and you will be the emperor

In my world, it's all "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"

You guys would make us all slaves once skynet finally takes over.

Mainspark
11-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Carlton must have ended up getting a better offer from the Indians, who he pitched for that season.
He wouldn't hang it up after the Phillies released him in the middle of the '86 season, bouncing from team to team as he tried to somehow regain the skills that the years had taken from him.
Carlton famously wouldn't talk to the media for nearly all of his career in Philadelphia. I remember when he began his comeback tour of the majors, he suddenly began granting interviews. It was odd after never having heard his voice during all those great seasons.

redhawkfish
11-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Carlton famously wouldn't talk to the media for nearly all of his career in Philadelphia. I remember when he began his comeback tour of the majors, he suddenly began granting interviews. It was odd after never having heard his voice during all those great seasons.

I remember that also. I don't recall if he was"burned" by the media early in his career or was somewhat of a curmudgeon earlier than some.

RedsBaron
11-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I remember that also. I don't recall if he was"burned" by the media early in his career or was somewhat of a curmudgeon earlier than some.

I've read somewhere that he became angry during the 1973 season. After having a sensational Cy Young winning season in 1972 he had a poor season in '73 and resented the media asking him about why he wasn't pitching well.

westofyou
11-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I've read somewhere that he became angry during the 1973 season. After having a sensational Cy Young winning season in 1972 he had a poor season in '73 and resented the media asking him about why he wasn't pitching well.

Yep, that's what I read as well. he decided that he would just step back and not give them good or bad.

Thus they made him out to be a freak in some ways, because he refused to play the game.

vic715
11-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Quick question. Am I remembering wrong that Steve Carlton donned a Reds uniform at one point near the end of his career? I was just reviewing his career and there is no mention of such a transaction, but I could have sworn the Reds signed him at one point. Was it a spring training free agent, or am I remembering wrong?

Maybe you were thinking about Jerry Ruess or Frank Viola?

westofyou
11-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Maybe you were thinking about Jerry Ruess or Frank Viola?
Or Jack Morris or Christy Mathewson

traderumor
11-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Maybe you were thinking about Jerry Ruess or Frank Viola?Reuss is a possibility