PDA

View Full Version : Paplebon Signs With The Phillies 4 Yrs. / 50 Million

RedLegSuperStar
11-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Wow.. Rich get richer!

Blitz Dorsey
11-11-2011, 07:57 PM
That's a bargain compared to Madson's deal.

savafan
11-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Why do they need 2 closers making more than $11 million a year each?

Blitz Dorsey
11-11-2011, 08:18 PM
They must be making one of them a starter ... or maybe the Madson news was BS. One of the two.

RedLegSuperStar
11-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Madson rumor was false

savafan
11-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Madson rumor was false

I'm seeing that now. I don't know how true it is, but it looks like Madson's agent and Amaro had agreed on the deal, and then ownership nixed it.

PuffyPig
11-12-2011, 12:53 AM
That's a bargain compared to Madson's deal.

Pretty good argument that Madson has been as good, or even better,than Paplebon over the last 4 years.

crazybob60
11-12-2011, 01:18 AM
I really wish that Madson wouldn't command so much, because I think with his makeup he would be a perfect fit for the Reds not only baseball wise but also mesh well with the rest of the team in the clubhouse. And then be ready to hand it over Boxberger when he is ready. But I know that that is only dreaming as he will command more than what the Reds can afford.

Sea Ray
11-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Didn't we sign Coco 4 years ago for $50mill? Hard to believe

Sea Ray
11-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Did the Bosox make any attempt to re-sign him?

savafan
11-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Did the Bosox make any attempt to re-sign him?

According to Ken Rosenthal, Boston wasn't willing to give him the 4th year.

cincrazy
11-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Philly more or less screwed over one of their own for an outsider. We'll see how this goes over in the clubhouse.

If you ask me, Madson is the better bet going forward. Paplelbon's flyball tendencies won't mesh well with that ballpark. I've always felt that he's been overrated anyways.

blumj
11-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Philly more or less screwed over one of their own for an outsider. We'll see how this goes over in the clubhouse.

If you ask me, Madson is the better bet going forward. Paplelbon's flyball tendencies won't mesh well with that ballpark. I've always felt that he's been overrated anyways.
Not sure why you think so, as relievers go, he's been pretty damn good, and durable, for quite a while now, and he hasn't exactly been pitching in Petco. Even so, there isn't a relief pitcher in MLB that wouldn't make me squeamish to give that kind of deal.

Blitz Dorsey
11-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Papelbon has always had the pressure of being the closer in Boston. Pitching against the likes of the Yankees and their loaded offense with the game on the line.

Madson, on the other hand, has been mostly a setup guy in Philly over the same time span. And until this season, he always struggled when thrust into the closer's role. Granted, he did very well this year. But Papelbon definitely has the longer track record. Consistency is huge in my book.

I actually like Madson a lot, but Papelbon's resume over the last few years is clearly more impressive IMO. You can't really compare a guy who has been the Red Sox's closer the last 5 years with a guy who has pretty much just been the Phillies' closer for one. Do their ERA/WHIPs match up well? Yes. But, again, I submit Papelbon was pitching in tougher situations against better offensive players for the most part.