PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

Pages : 1 [2]

BuckeyeRed27
03-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Playing Michigan State should require a helmet.

sonny
03-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Bucks seem to be getting lazy late in games. Today is no exception.

Ohayou
03-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Those are some ugly threes.

BuckeyeRed27
03-11-2012, 06:32 PM
That was a great game overall. Bucks just couldn't hit the shots down the stretch. Buford's 3 was halfway down. Frustrating.
It's too bad Sullinger was in foul trouble. Same with Craft. That was the major difference.

traderumor
03-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I echo what coaches were saying--seeding is really only good for about that first game, where the high seed gets what should be a relatively easy game. After that, there is not a whole lot of easy games in the 32 that are left, and by the time you get to the sweet 16, its just a matter of matchups.

WVRed
03-12-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm not a WVU fan, but you guys are going to have a fight in this one if they beat Gonzaga in the opening round.

WVU playing in Pittsburgh (an hour and a half outside of Morgantown), might as well be a home game for the Mountaineers. WVU is also the type of team that is capable of beating anybody and losing to anybody.

bucksfan2
03-12-2012, 09:19 AM
That was a great game overall. Bucks just couldn't hit the shots down the stretch. Buford's 3 was halfway down. Frustrating.
It's too bad Sullinger was in foul trouble. Same with Craft. That was the major difference.

It was probably the best game I watched over the weekend. It almost looked like a football game out there the way the refs were letting them play. I thought at several junctures in the game someone was going to get hurt or they were going to get into a fight. I don't really take anything negative from that game. They aren't going to be forced to play 3 games in less than 36 hours again.

I liked the draw for OSU. Gonzaga or WVU really don't scare me in the 2nd round (sorry WVRed). I wasn't really pleased with FSU being the #3 seed but I don't really dislike that matchup. They play more of a Big 10 style of baksetball, a brusing type of basketball. But yea after the first two rounds you can throw seeding out the window.

traderumor
03-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Final 4

Tie breaker to the Buckeyes for best team in the Big 10/12

Syracuse could not defend the Buckeyes without fouling. Four or five of the Buckeyes fouls were phantom fouls. Sullinger's 2nd, never touched him, Craft's 5th foul, never touched the guy. Probably my favorite was when the Syracuse shooter dove with his shoulder three feet into Buford, who was playing off, had hands straight up, in the act of shooting to initiate contact with a stationary defender and get an and one out of the deal. That was special.

My game ball goes to Lenzelle Smith, Jr. He was the difference maker they need each game. Sully and Thomas will do their thing, its up to one of Craft/Buford/Smith to push them over the top, good enough to beat anyone in the country.

But probably key to this victory was the two headed big man that played 13 minutes of good interior basketball and got the Buckeyes to half time tied--Ravenal and Williams. Those two were capable fill-ins that took 13 minutes off the clock, keeping the game close, while the best player on either team sat.

Thou Baldhead Boeheim, hopefully the last game he ever coaches. Maybe he'll know what is going on in his program when his bosses have the "thank you for your many years of service. Retire or fire?" meeting this offseason. Could someone please explain to me why Jardine was on the bench during most of the last two minutes of the season, when his offense was desparately needed to forge a comeback? I thought he had fouled out. Why was he sitting?

Reds/Flyers Fan
03-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Final Four for Ohio State! Go Bucks!

BuckeyeRed27
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
This team always had to get this far for this season to be considered a success. A few weeks ago I wasnt sure they could do it. I think the last two Michigan St games really toughened this team and got them ready for this run.

Assembly Hall
03-26-2012, 09:36 AM
This team always had to get this far for this season to be considered a success. A few weeks ago I wasnt sure they could do it. I think the last two Michigan St games really toughened this team and got them ready for this run.

I agree. Back in December, I felt they were the best team in the country. But somewhere in B1G season season the machine started mis-firing. I cant put a finger on when that actually happened but it did. After home losses to MSU and Wisky I was ready to stick a fork in them.

bucksfan2
03-26-2012, 09:47 AM
I agree. Back in December, I felt they were the best team in the country. But somewhere in B1G season season the machine started mis-firing. I cant put a finger on when that actually happened but it did. After home losses to MSU and Wisky I was ready to stick a fork in them.

The BIG was talented and deep and you really couldn't take a day off in that league. Their second half of the BIG schedule was backloaded with talent. OSU had Michigan, Wisconsin and MSU twice within the last 3 weeks of the season. You can't play those teams when you are "off" and I think they went through a tough patch where they weren't playing great and the schedule picked up.

Assembly Hall
03-26-2012, 11:06 AM
The BIG was talented and deep and you really couldn't take a day off in that league. Their second half of the BIG schedule was backloaded with talent. OSU had Michigan, Wisconsin and MSU twice within the last 3 weeks of the season. You can't play those teams when you are "off" and I think they went through a tough patch where they weren't playing great and the schedule picked up.

I will agree with ya. Maybe that Illinois loss coupled with scedule did something. I think that alot of fans that dont follow the B1G really dont know how tough it was. Some dont realize that Michigan got beat by Iowa. Heck, if they would have won that game they would have been regular season champs. Wisconsin got swept by Iowa. Purdue got whacked at Penn State. IU got beat at Nebraska. Tough and strange year to say the least.

traderumor
03-26-2012, 07:04 PM
From what I am reading about "worst practice team ever" and some other comments of Matta's, that this team has some maturity issues. Of course, with one senior who is short on leadership skills and a bunch of freshman and sophomore McDonald's All-Americans, go figure, huh?

I think that was the source of the slump, some immaturity that led to getting away from doing things on the floor that made them good, and players getting selfish.

They played bad in the tourney opener against Loyola, similar to the slump, and I had them falling to Gonzaga. Then I read where the starters pow wowed after their Friday practice, came together, and I think that turned the corner.

I'm hoping in the Final 4 that the ever quiet Buford catches fire as the 3rd offensive threat, and I'd like their chances against anyone, even Kentucky, assuming Thomas and Sullinger continue to do their thing.

BTW, I think Buford is a silent assassin, ever dangerous, but very quiet, unassuming, sometimes to a fault, gets picked on relentlessly because of false expectations, and is enjoying the winning in a different way than people understand. He was all smiles after the win Saturday in a way that said he is about team more than himself, and while he was not a big producer, I think he gets more grief than he deserves.

BuckeyeRed27
03-26-2012, 07:10 PM
From what I am reading about "worst practice team ever" and some other comments of Matta's, that this team has some maturity issues. Of course, with one senior who is short on leadership skills and a bunch of freshman and sophomore McDonald's All-Americans, go figure, huh?

I think that was the source of the slump, some immaturity that led to getting away from doing things on the floor that made them good, and players getting selfish.

They played bad in the tourney opener against Loyola, similar to the slump, and I had them falling to Gonzaga. Then I read where the starters pow wowed after their Friday practice, came together, and I think that turned the corner.

I'm hoping in the Final 4 that the ever quiet Buford catches fire as the 3rd offensive threat, and I'd like their chances against anyone, even Kentucky, assuming Thomas and Sullinger continue to do their thing.

Sullinger's "cool guy" quote was very telling. I guess it's good they are self aware they don't put forward full effort sometimes. Easier to fix and it seems they have for the most part.

I think they can and should beat Kansas. It will be another tough game, but OSU is playing better and has more talent. I keep waiting for the William Buford 23/9/4 game. He only has two games (hopefully) left and it would be great if he could find it before it's too late.

bucksfan2
03-27-2012, 10:28 AM
I think the turning point with OSU this season was the Northwestern win. They hadn't been playing great but really hadn't been playing bad. They had been in few close games but always seemed to end up losing late in the game. Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan all came down to a possession or two in which OSU lost late. The Northwestern game they allowed a lead to disappear but won late. It was the first time all season in which they really won a close game. Couple that victory with the MSU comeback win solidifying a 2 seed and it gave them a sign of relief and enabled them to go on their current run.

traderumor
03-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Agree bucksfan2. As for the Kansas game, this seems like a similar matchup to Syracuse in the sense that the Buckeyes are just a tick better talent wise and if both teams play good, the Buckeyes win by a nose.

Ranking the Final Four, Kentucky, Ohio State, Kansas, Louisville. I'm hoping for an Ohio win and a Louisville upset. There will be no shame in taking the championship by avoiding Kentucky :)

Assembly Hall
03-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Agree bucksfan2. As for the Kansas game, this seems like a similar matchup to Syracuse in the sense that the Buckeyes are just a tick better talent wise and if both teams play good, the Buckeyes win by a nose.

Ranking the Final Four, Kentucky, Ohio State, Kansas, Louisville. I'm hoping for an Ohio win and a Louisville upset. There will be no shame in taking the championship by avoiding Kentucky :)

LOL..........no there is not at all! Sometimes it is just better to be lucky than good.:laugh:

traderumor
03-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Go Bucks!

traderumor
04-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Well poopy. Lose to Kansas or lose to UK?

Every year, only one team's fans in any sport don't go home disappointed every season. There is no fun way to lose a close game and there are always "if only's" abounding when you're on the short end.

bucksfan2
04-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Well poopy. Lose to Kansas or lose to UK?

Every year, only one team's fans in any sport don't go home disappointed every season. There is no fun way to lose a close game and there are always "if only's" abounding when you're on the short end.

Just disappointment in a game they never should have lost. I think Thad made the fatal mistake of waiting too long to put Thomas back into the game with 4 fouls. In a lose of go home game he should have been in their much earlier. The offense really struggled without him in there.

Now comes the time when you wonder who will go and who will stay. As long as Thomas stays OSU will be right up there again. If Thomas and Sullinger, I think Sullinger is gone, it could be a tough year in Columbus next season.

Assembly Hall
04-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Just disappointment in a game they never should have lost. I think Thad made the fatal mistake of waiting too long to put Thomas back into the game with 4 fouls. In a lose of go home game he should have been in their much earlier. The offense really struggled without him in there.

Now comes the time when you wonder who will go and who will stay. As long as Thomas stays OSU will be right up there again. If Thomas and Sullinger, I think Sullinger is gone, it could be a tough year in Columbus next season.

I thought Sullinger should have went last year. I think is stock has went down since. Hopefully he sticks around for another year.

I dont think Thomas is ready, but money talks.

I have no idea what the Bucks have coming in next year. But if those two bolt, it will be an interesting year next season.

bucksfan2
04-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I thought Sullinger should have went last year. I think is stock has went down since. Hopefully he sticks around for another year.

I have no idea what the Bucks have coming in next year. But if those two bolt, it will be an interesting year next season.

Thomas isn't ready but I don't doubt anything. The thing with Thomas is that he blew up in the tournament. How many times have we seen a guy go nuts in the tournament and then head to the pros?

Sullinger I have a feeling is a 50/50 decision right now. From everything I know he doesn't "need" to go to the pros and has a very nice support system for him at OSU. He has some things he needs to work on but is the NBA calling?

OSU's recruiting class this past season was loaded. They are going to need Scott, Willimans, and Thompson to improve their overall game. The one wild card is LaQuinten Ross, a highly rated prospect who gained eligability late. He wasn't on the court much this season, but when he played you could see he has the ability to be special.

WVRed
04-02-2012, 12:13 PM

This is the year that everybody leaves IMO. Although if Thomas comes back, he could be a POY candidate for sure. College basketball as a whole will be down next year with the NBA labor situation settled and people are ready to cash in. I'd say Sullinger is gone if he is a top 10 pick.

The biggest risk for Sullinger is his back and overall athleticism. The latter is something that can be fixed at the next level. If he still has back issues, it could get interesting.

traderumor
04-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Thomas had a pretty dang good year, which was capped in the NCAA. There have been more rumors about him going than Sullinger. I see where they are coming from. If I was their age and had the ability to sign a multimillion dollar contract, I'd do it before someone changed their mind :)

With that said, it is always sad to see guys leave early just from the standpoint of they go to play an inferior, boring, mundane brand of basketball, probably the lamest brand out there. The NBA is unwatchable and when guys leave college, I lose track of them.

Todd Gack
04-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Sullinger needs to stay 4 years. If he didn't go last year, no need in going until after 4. I'm no sure how his game translate in the NBA considering he seems to get soft at times. I never really was impressed with him. I mean, I think he's good, I just don't see how he's as good as he was hyped up last year. I think he cost himself a lot of money not going last year so he's better off staying four years.

Assembly Hall
04-02-2012, 07:55 PM
All good stuff fellas.

BuckeyeRed27
04-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Sullinger needs to stay 4 years. If he didn't go last year, no need in going until after 4. I'm no sure how his game translate in the NBA considering he seems to get soft at times. I never really was impressed with him. I mean, I think he's good, I just don't see how he's as good as he was hyped up last year. I think he cost himself a lot of money not going last year so he's better off staying four years.

Sullinger is a Top 10 pick and given the physical style he plays should absolutely go pro now. I think his game is very similar to Kevin Love's and that has seemed to translate pretty well to the NBA.

Thomas should probably stay, but I think he has family issues and might need to go for the cash grab.

That loss sucked BTW. I think I read that OSU has lost it's last 4 tournament games by a combined 9 points.

cincrazy
04-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Sullinger is a Top 10 pick and given the physical style he plays should absolutely go pro now. I think his game is very similar to Kevin Love's and that has seemed to translate pretty well to the NBA.

Thomas should probably stay, but I think he has family issues and might need to go for the cash grab.

That loss sucked BTW. I think I read that OSU has lost it's last 4 tournament games by a combined 9 points.

Whoooaaaaa. Kevin Love is ELITE. I don't think Sullinger is even a starter in the league, let alone Kevin Love. Sullinger most reminds me of someone like Glen Davis or Dejuan Blair. A nice player. But he has severe limitations. EVERY team in the NBA throws length at you, there's no running from it. He's going to really struggle with that. And he doesn't have the range that Love has, nor the passing ability.

Assembly Hall
04-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Whoooaaaaa. Kevin Love is ELITE. I don't think Sullinger is even a starter in the league, let alone Kevin Love. Sullinger most reminds me of someone like Glen Davis or Dejuan Blair. A nice player. But he has severe limitations. EVERY team in the NBA throws length at you, there's no running from it. He's going to really struggle with that. And he doesn't have the range that Love has, nor the passing ability.

LOL....he aint no Love. However he is projected as a Top 5 pick. I think he will find his niche. I dont think he reminds me of Davis or Blair. To me he is more like Brand or Boozer.

improbus
04-03-2012, 01:00 AM
LOL....he aint no Love. However he is projected as a Top 5 pick. I think he will find his niche. I dont think he reminds me of Davis or Blair. To me he is more like Brand or Boozer.

Boozer is good. Brand was way more athletic when he was younger.

bucksfan2
04-03-2012, 09:15 AM
I don't watch much if any NBA basketball. I do think that players really don't develop when they get to the league. It almost seems like players are who they are when they arrive. Sullinger and Thomas have things to work on. Sullinger if he wants to be a good NBA player needs to hit the mid-range shot with consistancy. Thomas can score but I think he needs to learn more how to score off the bounce as well and pick up his game on defense.

Assembly Hall
04-03-2012, 09:49 AM
I agree with you bucksfan on your takes on Sullinger and Thomas. But the NBA is a different game. There have been quite a few guys in the past that have dominated the college game only to fail or have lack luster careers in the pros. Conversely, there have been quite a few that were average players in college that had great careers in the NBA. Sometimes you just never know how a player is gonna adapt to the pro game.

Roy Tucker
04-03-2012, 10:01 AM
JMO, but Kevin Love is a hugely better pro than he ever was as a college player.

He has really re-made his body and his game and is a beast now. He was a bit soft as a college player and is anything but that now. Sullinger would be well-advised to emulate what Love did.

Assembly Hall
04-03-2012, 10:17 AM
JMO, but Kevin Love is a hugely better pro than he ever was as a college player.

He has really re-made his body and his game and is a beast now. He was a bit soft as a college player and is anything but that now. Sullinger would be well-advised to emulate what Love did.

I agree with ya Roy. But as I said you will never know how they adapt to the NBA. In college, a coach uses a player a certain way within his system. Heck, I never knew Patrick Ewing could hit an 18 foot jumper until he got into the NBA!!!!!!!!!!!

improbus
04-03-2012, 10:39 AM
I don't watch much if any NBA basketball. I do think that players really don't develop when they get to the league. It almost seems like players are who they are when they arrive. Sullinger and Thomas have things to work on. Sullinger if he wants to be a good NBA player needs to hit the mid-range shot with consistancy. Thomas can score but I think he needs to learn more how to score off the bounce as well and pick up his game on defense.

Players absolutely develop in the NBA. Now, you are not going to find guys who go from nothing to elite in a particular skill. So, Anthony Davis is probably never going to have Tim Duncan's skill set. Those elite talents are either genetic or learned early. But, players can develop certain parts of their game. Bruce Bowen learned to hit 3s. Ewings entire offensive game was learned in the pros. Just playing against elite night in and not out improves your game.

I think Sullinger can fit into the Clarence Weatherspoon role of 10 and 10. He's clever around the rim and has a good nose for rebounds. But, his playing time will be dictated by his defense. If he can't defend opposing 4s, he won't play. How does he defend Amare, Durant, Nowitzki, etc... That is a major problem.

Assembly Hall
04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Players absolutely develop in the NBA. Now, you are not going to find guys who go from nothing to elite in a particular skill. So, Anthony Davis is probably never going to have Tim Duncan's skill set. Those elite talents are either genetic or learned early. But, players can develop certain parts of their game. Bruce Bowen learned to hit 3s. Ewings entire offensive game was learned in the pros. Just playing against elite night in and not out improves your game.

I think Sullinger can fit into the Clarence Weatherspoon role of 10 and 10. He's clever around the rim and has a good nose for rebounds. But, his playing time will be dictated by his defense. If he can't defend opposing 4s, he won't play. How does he defend Amare, Durant, Nowitzki, etc... That is a major problem.

Very well said. Ewing is a perfect example of adapting. When he was in college all he had to do was play defense and dunk. He got to the NBA and found out it wasnt as easy to dunk on his defenders at the next level. But he was a talent and actually changed what his personna was. In college he was a defender, in the NBA he was an offensive presence.

4 players from the past come to mind for me when talking the college to pro transition. Wayman Tisdale and Ralph Sampson absolutely dominated the college game when they played. Sure fire NBA stars. They had all the tools. Although Tisdale had a decent career, he never dominated and was pretty much a role player. Sampson had a couple of good years but fizzled. Bill Laimbeer was nothing in college. Went on to a Hall-of-Fame career. Reggie Miller was a dang good college player, but the experts didnt think his game would work in the pros. Well, Reg had a pretty darn good career.

Sometimes ya just never know.

BuckeyeRed27
04-03-2012, 05:22 PM

As a couple others have pointed out, but I will clarify that I'm not saying that Sullinger will become as good as Love, but their games are similar.

Sullinger has a much better perimeter game than Blair or Davis have and has equal or better skills down low.

I think it's important to remember that Sullinger has probably been playing out of position for most of last year and all of this year. He isn't really a 5 he is a solid 4 that can play away from the basket. He has struggled against length but he won't routinely be playing against guys that are that much taller than him like he was this year when he has a true 5 on his team.

traderumor
04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
As a couple others have pointed out, but I will clarify that I'm not saying that Sullinger will become as good as Love, but their games are similar.

Sullinger has a much better perimeter game than Blair or Davis have and has equal or better skills down low.

I think it's important to remember that Sullinger has probably been playing out of position for most of last year and all of this year. He isn't really a 5 he is a solid 4 that can play away from the basket. He has struggled against length but he won't routinely be playing against guys that are that much taller than him like he was this year when he has a true 5 on his team.I think Sullinger may just have to stay for this reason, assuming Thad agrees to play him at the position. With Amir Williams coming along, that is very possible. The NBA may not be sold on his ability to play the 4 and project him lower than will make it an easy decision for him to come out.

Either way, it seems like it may be a gamble. He had a good season, but I don't think he did anything to raise his NBA stock, and probably lowered it.

Roy Tucker
04-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Yeah, it's an interesting dilemma.

I think Sullinger would be well-served from a basketball standpoint to stay in college and develop a mid-range game and continue to work on his conditioning. If he comes out now, he'll be challenged to be NBA-competitive and would have to work his tail off (which I would think he'd do, his work ethic seems good). But he'd also be paid millions to do that development as opposed to being paid scholarship-level money (and let's hope that's all he gets). But then there is less pressure in college than the pros (comparatively).

I think Deshaun Thomas can be a Draymond Greene-type player. Not a superstar, but a darn fine PotY-as-a-senior-and-NBA-starter player.

improbus
04-03-2012, 08:00 PM
I think it's important to remember that Sullinger has probably been playing out of position for most of last year and all of this year. He isn't really a 5 he is a solid 4 that can play away from the basket. He has struggled against length but he won't routinely be playing against guys that are that much taller than him like he was this year when he has a true 5 on his team.

Except for Pau, Garnett, Al Jefferson, Amare, Duncan, Bosh, LeMarcus, Boogie, Bargnani, Zbo, and Blake. No one else is tall.

BillDoran
04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Just to throw some numbers out there comparing Love and Sullinger (Sullinger's are a composite of his two years vs. Love's single year):

Love - 17.5 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 1.9 apg, 56% from the field, 35% from 3
Sullinger - 17.3 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 1.2 apg, 53% from the field, 37% from 3

Both are turnstiles on D, both have/had a considerable amount of babyfat in college, both are fairly intelligent players, both have questions about their athleticism.

As has been mentioned, will Sullinger take major steps that Love has? Hard to say. Coming out of college though, tough to find a better comp.

Assembly Hall
04-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Good stuff Bill. One thing that will impact Sully's development if he goes is which team he ends up on. A lot of good players get stuck in some bad situations and never develop.

traderumor
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Press Conference scheduled for 2:15, Sullinger expected to announce going to NBA. Maybe he'll shock the world and say he's staying. ;)

Anyhow, I hate that the Buckeyes don't get four years from guys, but I'm glad they are recruiting guys good enough to be lottery picks after a year or two in school. I an live with it. I still think Sullinger would make more money with at least one more year, but I sure can't begrudge him wanting to start getting paid to play now.

BuckeyeRed27
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Press Conference scheduled for 2:15, Sullinger expected to announce going to NBA. Maybe he'll shock the world and say he's staying. ;)

Anyhow, I hate that the Buckeyes don't get four years from guys, but I'm glad they are recruiting guys good enough to be lottery picks after a year or two in school. I an live with it. I still think Sullinger would make more money with at least one more year, but I sure can't begrudge him wanting to start getting paid to play now.

Good for Sully. I think it was the right time for him to go. There isn't anything he could do at OSU that he can't learn in the pros while getting paid.

The days of any top program, let alone Ohio State, keeping their top players for 4 years are long gone unless several rule changes happen.

texasdave
04-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Two-time Ohio State All-American forward Jared Sullinger is moving on to the NBA.The 6-foot-9 sophomore announced on Wednesday that he is giving up his final two seasons with the Buckeyes to make himself available for the NBA draft on June 28.

He didn't shock the world.

http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/basketball/ncaa/04/04/Jared.Sullinger.NBA.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

BuckeyeRed27
04-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Thomas is coming back. Big news for next year. He could have a monster year.

Craft
Smith Jr
Thompson
Thomas
Williams

RiverRat13
04-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Thomas is coming back. Big news for next year. He could have a monster year.

Craft
Smith Jr
Thompson
Thomas
Williams

I think DT needs to play 15-20 minutes at the 3 next year. OSU simply needs to have more size up front. If Thad can land Alex Oriakhi or Tony Parker, I'd think they'd be in business.

bucksfan2
04-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I think DT needs to play 15-20 minutes at the 3 next year. OSU simply needs to have more size up front. If Thad can land Alex Oriakhi or Tony Parker, I'd think they'd be in business.

I don't think DT can guard the 3.

That said this was huge for OSU basketball. Without Thomas they would have been a top 20ish type program next year. With Thomas they are a top 10+ team next season.

traderumor
04-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Thomas must not have gotten the projected draft slot that made it a no brainer. I think he will do himself favors and has a chance to earn extra money in college next year (after the draft ;) ) as he will be needed to carry a big load offensively. He will have the opportunity to be the guy and put up some big numbers.

Scrap Irony
04-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Problem is, he can't talk to anyone about where he would have been drafted. (He could talk to NBA GMs, but they're a little budy right now.)

The NCAA really screwed the kids with this decision.

BuckeyeRed27
04-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Problem is, he can't talk to anyone about where he would have been drafted. (He could talk to NBA GMs, but they're a little budy right now.)

Is that true? I thought there was some type of draft evalution that they can file to get an idea of where they might go.

Scrap Irony
04-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Not anymore.

bucksfan2
04-10-2012, 05:33 PM

Quite frankly I think the more a kid listens to his coach the better. If your have a good head coach he should be able to tell you whether or not to leave.

Scrap Irony
04-10-2012, 06:37 PM
But most coaches want what's best for their team and their pocketbook.

What's to stop a coach from convincing his 19-year-old star to come back for the good of the team and his education?

I'm not trying to imply anything here, but did Harrison Barnes or John Henson really help their draft status by staying in school an extra year? (Don't get me wrong-- I'm tickled they did.) I don't know if Williams is the type to put the fear of God into his players (I don't think he is), but I could see how a kid could do exactly what his coach wanted. And coaches aren't all that trustworthy, in my experience. Especially when it comes to kids and their teams.

Brutus
04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Not anymore.

That's not true. There's still an NBA advisory committee that gives you an evaluation.

I'm 100% certain of that.

Just for corroboration, here's an article where Tony Wroten talks about receiving feedback before he declared:

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/7770913/washington-tony-wroten-declares-nba-draft

Here's another report about C.J. Leslie:

http://packinsider.com/2012/04/leslie-requests-report-from-nba-draft-advisory-committee/

Here's one about three Mississippi players filing for an evaluation:

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120320/SPORTS030103/120320018/3-Ole-Miss-juniors-submit-NBA-Draft-Advisory-Committee-paperwork

Scrap Irony
04-10-2012, 08:42 PM
That's not true. There's still an NBA advisory committee that gives you an evaluation.

I'm 100% certain of that.

From today's ESPN article:

Since the NCAA bars third parties (even family members) of college players from reaching out to NBA teams to discuss their draft stock and the NBA itself has strict no-contact rules regarding the way teams can communicate with players who are not officially draft-eligible (before the early-entry list is released in early May), the only way an underclassman can gather information about his draft stock is through his college head coach. Furthermore, the head coach is only allowed to talk with the principal basketball operations executive from each team (ie: the general manager), according to NBA rules, and the underclassman may not participate in or be present during any such conversation.

Brutus
04-10-2012, 08:49 PM
From today's ESPN article:

That article is wrong. Absolutely wrong. Trust me on this. Look at the links I provided. You can't speak directly with the NBA people, but you can still file for the evaluations. The advisory panel still exists. Again... read those links I provided. There are at least three examples of players that have said they got feedback from the NBA advisory panel. I know a parent that just went through the process. The panel is still a part of the process.

The NBA advisory panel collects the consensus draft projections from the teams and the players file for an evaluation and have the info shared with them.

Brutus
04-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Here's a fourth player, Mike Moser, that said he talked to the NBA advisory panel...

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/unlv-s-moser-passes-on-nba-draft-will-return-for-junior-season-145705415.html

Here's a fifth player, Terrence Ross...

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040212aaa.html

B.J. Young...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-arkansas-young

John Jenkins...

http://www.gallatinnews.com/sports/41-frontpage-lead-sports-story/2843-jenkins-leaving-vanderbilt-will-enter-nba-draft

Meyers Leonard...

http://btn.com/2012/04/02/dienhart-illinis-leonard-to-enter-nba-draft/

RiverRat13
04-10-2012, 10:47 PM
But most coaches want what's best for their team and their pocketbook.

What's to stop a coach from convincing his 19-year-old star to come back for the good of the team and his education?

I'm not trying to imply anything here, but did Harrison Barnes or John Henson really help their draft status by staying in school an extra year? (Don't get me wrong-- I'm tickled they did.) I don't know if Williams is the type to put the fear of God into his players (I don't think he is), but I could see how a kid could do exactly what his coach wanted. And coaches aren't all that trustworthy, in my experience. Especially when it comes to kids and their teams.

I'm guessing the impending lockout had more to do with Barnes and Henson coming back rather than Roy talking them into it.

Scrap Irony
04-10-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm not saying Roy talked them into anything.

I just don't think its wise to trust someone who stands to make millions off of your possible return to their team.

WMR
06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Ugh, one time I really hate being right. Sullinger really should have gone last year. Now he's not even invited to the draft.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/8094012/2012-nba-draft-former-ohio-state-bucketes-star-jared-sullinger-not-invited-draft

BuckeyeRed27
06-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Ugh, one time I really hate being right. Sullinger really should have gone last year. Now he's not even invited to the draft.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/8094012/2012-nba-draft-former-ohio-state-bucketes-star-jared-sullinger-not-invited-draft

That is unfortunate, but all this means is a good team is getting a really good player instead of a bad team getting a really good player. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Assembly Hall
06-25-2012, 06:25 PM

I hear ya man.

RiverRat13
06-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Sullinger will have a more productive career than at least half of the players drafted ahead of him.

bucksfan2
06-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Sullinger will have a more productive career than at least half of the players drafted ahead of him.

Sullinger had issues that cost him a couple of games this past season at OSU. Its not like he was plagued the entier season missing games every other week with a bad back. I think this is an over reaction that often comes around draft time.

Sullinger would have been best served to be drafted high by going last year. As a player I think Sullinger learned quite a bit this past season at OSU. I don't think he will ever be an All Star level player year in year out. But I do think he will be a very good cog on teams for a long time. The later you go the better team you end up on.

cincrazy
06-30-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't think that Sullinger is athletic enough to be very successful in the league. He's a back to the basket guy that can't do that in the pros. I think he landed in a perfect spot in Boston. That was his best hope of being productive. I'm rooting for him. I just don't think he'll be very good.

RiverRat13
06-30-2012, 09:57 PM
I don't think that Sullinger is athletic enough to be very successful in the league. He's a back to the basket guy that can't do that in the pros. I think he landed in a perfect spot in Boston. That was his best hope of being productive. I'm rooting for him. I just don't think he'll be very good.

Zach Randolph certainly proves you can be a below-the-rim PF that can be successful in the NBA. Sully has a high basketball IQ. It may take a couple of years, but I think he (like Z-bo) finds out how to use his body to score in the league. I'm not necessarily predicting Z-bo like production, but I would wager he plays double digit years and averages double digit points for his career.

Assembly Hall
07-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Zach Randolph certainly proves you can be a below-the-rim PF that can be successful in the NBA. Sully has a high basketball IQ. It may take a couple of years, but I think he (like Z-bo) finds out how to use his body to score in the league. I'm not necessarily predicting Z-bo like production, but I would wager he plays double digit years and averages double digit points for his career.

That's a pretty dang good comparison right there.

cincrazy
07-01-2012, 10:38 AM
It's a fair comparision. But I think Randolph is a unique player. Sullinger's closest comp, IMO, may be DeJaun Blair, except he's not as good of a rebounder. Sullinger really struggled with guys with length in the NCAA. That's all he'll see on a nightly basis in the pros.

Assembly Hall
07-01-2012, 11:11 AM
It's a fair comparision. But I think Randolph is a unique player. Sullinger's closest comp, IMO, may be DeJaun Blair, except he's not as good of a rebounder. Sullinger really struggled with guys with length in the NCAA. That's all he'll see on a nightly basis in the pros.

Actually, I think it is a dead on comparison as to how both Sully and Zach were used in college. They were played out of position.

cincrazy
07-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Actually, I think it is a dead on comparison as to how both Sully and Zach were used in college. They were played out of position.

Maybe a dead-on comparision to how they were used in college, I just simply meant I don't think Sullinger will be as good as Randolph has been. Randolph has more of a reliable jump shot, and at least in my eyes anyways, is more athletic. Maybe he can't jump over you, but he can move around you. Has great footwork. Granted I'm not a master basketball expert or anything, but I never got that impression watching Sullinger. I think he has a place in the pros as a solid guy off the bench. I don't think he's a starter, on a good team anyways.

Assembly Hall
07-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Maybe a dead-on comparision to how they were used in college, I just simply meant I don't think Sullinger will be as good as Randolph has been. Randolph has more of a reliable jump shot, and at least in my eyes anyways, is more athletic. Maybe he can't jump over you, but he can move around you. Has great footwork. Granted I'm not a master basketball expert or anything, but I never got that impression watching Sullinger. I think he has a place in the pros as a solid guy off the bench. I don't think he's a starter, on a good team anyways.

I cant argue your sentiments at all. But dont always take what you see in college and translate it to the next level. Zach only played one year at MSU, Sully played two with the Bucks. Zach played with his back to the basket on a good Spartan team that always seems undersized but yet plays defense and rebounds well. Sully has played on two dang fine OSU teams, where he played center. They did not need him to shoot from the outside. They were blessed with other guys that filled that void. I think Sully will be fine, health issues aside, and surprise a lot of people. He does kind of remind me of a college legend.......and that would be Wayman Tisdale.

Revering4Blue
07-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Ohio State Basketball: 6 Ways OSU Can Rebound from Losing Sullinger and Buford

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1239344-ohio-state-basketball-6-ways-osu-can-rebound-from-losing-sullinger-and-buford#/articles/1239344-ohio-state-basketball-6-ways-osu-can-rebound-from-losing-sullinger-and-buford/page/7

Scrap Irony
07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
IMO, Sullinger is somewhere between Danny Fortson and Randolph, with Glen Davis his closest comp. As a Boston fan, I'm hoping for the playoff Davis, rather than the regular season.

Next season, playing behind Garnett and (likely) Green, he's a likely 7-10 ppg/ 4-6 reb backup. As years go on, he might get up to 10/8 in limited minutes. In three years, when Garnett is gone (or Sullinger is able to leave via free agency), he could go for more.

Razor Shines
07-03-2012, 12:22 AM

Plus Randolp has a 7'6" wingspan and Sullinger's is like 7'1".

Assembly Hall
07-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Ohio State Basketball: 6 Ways OSU Can Rebound from Losing Sullinger and Buford

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1239344-ohio-state-basketball-6-ways-osu-can-rebound-from-losing-sullinger-and-buford#/articles/1239344-ohio-state-basketball-6-ways-osu-can-rebound-from-losing-sullinger-and-buford/page/7

Some good stuff Rev. I think they will be fine this upcoming season and IMO a sleeper for a FF appearance.