PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday 2011

Sean_CaseyRules
11-13-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't know how many of y'all are into shopping on Black Friday, but this year seems to be a doozy.

http://www.blackfriday2011.com/ads

I mean Target has a 46' LCD tv for $298 this year...I bought my 42' for $450 last year at this time! Lot's of "toys" have really good deals, as well as those practical things....but who cares about that. It's about they TOYS! haha

cinreds21
11-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Sweet. I have never partaken in Black Friday but I kinda want to now. What should I expect?

Reds4Life
11-13-2011, 05:45 PM
I walked out of Kohls today because the line was insane, you can keep black Friday. Online shopping for me!

Stray
11-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm gonna try to get one of those 42 inch 1080p LCDs for $199 at Best Buy. I don't think Sharp is the greatest brand or anything, but that's a steal.

djc27osu
11-13-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm gonna try to get one of those 42 inch 1080p LCDs for $199 at Best Buy. I don't think Sharp is the greatest brand or anything, but that's a steal.

That's the deal I'm the most interested in as well. It said limit 10 per store...I've never participated in Black Friday before so with the doors opening at midnight how far in advance should I get up there if I want to assure myself one of those tvs?

IslandRed
11-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Wednesday? Depending on the store location, I may or may not be kidding. Word is out that the Best Buy ad is better than usual, and having a midnight opening instead of 5:00 a.m. is probably going to make it even more crowded.

I've done Black Friday a few times but I'm not hardcore about it, no camping out. We're staying home for once instead of traveling, and we haven't gotten into Christmas lists yet, so I don't know where or if I'm going out this time.

Oh, and when it says "10 per store" that's just the minimum number they guarantee having at each location. Depending on the store, there could be more.

redhawkfish
11-13-2011, 10:14 PM
I always go fishing at Dale Hollow that weekend, but my wife and daughters always hit the stores on Black Friday. Not sure what they will do with the stores opening at different times this year.

CTA513
11-13-2011, 11:31 PM
To get some of those really good deals you have to basically camp outside the stores to have a chance to get them.

Last year I did my shopping online and was able to get a 42 inch Panasonic Vera plasma TV for $299 from buy.com and a 2 TB Western Digital external hard drive for around $55 from staples.com.

medford
11-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Side note, that I discovered a couple of years ago, the malls are pretty dead that evening (obviously the super deals are gone and people are worn out), but if you have a small one and want to get a picture with santa, I've noticed over the last couple of years that the line is next to nothing that night.

GAC
11-15-2011, 05:13 AM
I avoid BF like the plague since I had a couple "incidents" with people in years past at them. It's like starving stray dogs, in the middle of the street, fighting over the last scrap of food.

I've always shopped on-line and find just as good a deals. I am shopping this year for a 37"-40" TV though.

LoganBuck
11-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Lots of good apps for Black Friday shopping smartphone users.

KittyDuran
11-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I avoid BF like the plague since I had a couple "incidents" with people in years past at them. It's like starving stray dogs, in the middle of the street, fighting over the last scrap of food.

I've always shopped on-line and find just as good a deals. I am shopping this year for a 37"-40" TV though.

This^^^^^^
Got a few good deals last year but it was none of the BIG stuff like TVs, etc. and it was in the afternoon so the crowds had thinned out.

gilpdawg
11-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I just went to Best Buy for the ASUS tablet. Never again. Gotta go back shortly and cash in my ticket.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

westofyou
11-25-2011, 12:07 AM
When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna dig myself a hole
Gonna lay down in it 'til
I satisfy my soul

MrCinatit
11-25-2011, 03:05 AM
A find it akin to a zombie infestation, where a bunch of mindless drones are on the attack after something they usually do not truly understand, leaving behind them a trail of destruction.
I'm one of those lucky people who gets to be on the working side of it. I loath these days.

gilpdawg
11-25-2011, 04:11 AM
It's a nightmare this year. My first and last ever Black Friday shop. I always said I'd never do it, and managed to hold out until now, and now I'm over it. I don't even want to play with my new gadget because I'm so disgusted with the experience. But, I guess I got a pretty sweet tablet for 250 bucks, but was it worth it? Not sure yet.

Slyder
11-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Seriously?

I Never go black friday shopping (unless I'm working retail) because I just don't think its worth nearly killing myself just to save a little bit of money. I'm not that frugal if theres something someone needs or wants I just get it when I can and not try and fight the stupidity.

dougdirt
11-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Shopped on Amazon last night for Black Friday. Xbox 360 and a Kinect for $199. Didn't have to leave my house.

dougdirt
11-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Also, amazon.com is still doing black friday sales. They have them for short periods of time, with new things coming out every hour. Some are listed and some are just teasers, but you might want to go over there and check them out.

OldRightHander
11-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm sitting at my desk auditing driver settlements for the week. I don't think I even want to be out today.

texasdave
11-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Does Wal Mart honor competitor's Black Friday specials? Seems like that might be a sneaky way to get some good buys. If they have the same items in stock that is.

CTA513
11-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Shopped on Amazon last night for Black Friday. Xbox 360 and a Kinect for $199. Didn't have to leave my house.

They put it back up about 20 minutes ago and I was able to get it then after the one earlier disappeared nearly right after it started.

dougdirt
11-25-2011, 03:40 PM
They put it back up about 20 minutes ago and I was able to get it then after the one earlier disappeared nearly right after it started.

Was that the one with the $50 Amazon credit too? I saw it and honestly almost bought it. But decided to just keep my $200 and spend it on something else later.

CTA513
11-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Was that the one with the $50 Amazon credit too? I saw it and honestly almost bought it. But decided to just keep my $200 and spend it on something else later.

yeah it was up earlier, but I think something went wrong and they had to put it up again.

IslandRed
11-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Does Wal Mart honor competitor's Black Friday specials? Seems like that might be a sneaky way to get some good buys. If they have the same items in stock that is.

I don't know of anyone that price-matches doorbuster-type specials.

IslandRed
11-25-2011, 04:34 PM
I ended up going out this morning for a few things. I've always enjoyed Christmas shopping for some reason, and I don't take it too seriously. It kind of depends on what I'm after. I know better than to fight the Best Buy/Toys R Us hordes. But I walked into Sears at 4 a.m. sharp, found the electric scooter my daughter wants ($40 off), checked out, and walked out the door at 4:07. And now I have an excuse for a nap. :cool:

I also do some of the Christmas shopping online, but that also involves picking spots. Some stores' Black Friday specials are mostly or entirely in-store only, e.g. Bass Pro Shops. And it's not like Black Friday online shopping is immune to sellouts or site crashes. Target and Lowe's, and probably others, had outages due to heavy load; GameStop was almost unusable last night and their ad hadn't even started yet.

Razor Shines
11-25-2011, 05:32 PM
I walked into Sports Authority this afternoon and got 2 Wilson Evolution basketballs for $27 each. Was out in 15 minutes. Successful black Friday.

hebroncougar
11-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Side note, that I discovered a couple of years ago, the malls are pretty dead that evening (obviously the super deals are gone and people are worn out), but if you have a small one and want to get a picture with santa, I've noticed over the last couple of years that the line is next to nothing that night.

Best idea I've read in a long time. I read this at 5 today, and headed up the the Florence Mall. I was third in line, waited 10 minutes, and was done.

Jpup
11-25-2011, 10:57 PM
I bought several things off of Amazon and several things from Baseball Savings.

My small haul:

Lion King Blu Ray 16.99
Wizard of Oz Blu Ray 9.99
Ted Williams Science of HItting book 10
Winnie the Pooh DVD 17 (reg. price)
Lauren Alaina (sic) CD 4.99
Scotty M (sic) CD 4.99
Lady A CD 6.99

All of those for my wife and daughter except the book.

I also got a youth catchers mitt for 10 dollars (80 dollars glove 6 mo. ago), an outfield rawlings glove for 10 dollars, 2 Brett Bros. necklaces for 10 a piece, and a Mizuno fleece.

GAC
11-26-2011, 05:26 AM
The wife, son, and I ventured out yesterday just to spend some time together, eat out, and get out of the house. Since a majority of the stores start there Black Friday deals late Thursday night it wasn't so bad. The only problem was (and I knew it too) the deals I was looking for would lonnnnng be gone. We hit Target, Best Buy, and KMart, because we were specifically looking for a deal on a 40" HD TV. We hit a few of those stores around Dayton, but when I asked he clerks if, by chance, any were left, they just laughed at us. Which was expected.

So I'm looking on-line. I do most of my shopping there anyway. I did get a great deal at Elder-Beermans on a Cuisinart coffeemaker. Regularly $160. Got if for $50.

Redsfaithful
11-26-2011, 09:05 AM
So I'm looking on-line.

Check out Amazon and NewEgg this weekend. I got my 42' tv two years ago on Black Friday through NewEgg, think I paid $500 which was a good deal back then.

Actually just saw a 40' 1080 LED tv for $400 on Amazon in their Black Friday lightning deals. Just have to keep an eye out.

CTA513
11-26-2011, 10:59 AM
anyone thats looking for an Xbox 360 4GB w/ Kinect can still get it for $199.99 + taxes (and maybe shipping, though it says free shipping) at the Microsoft Store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.216677300?ClickID=a09rzkywotssvrtatz5vy9 ylz0tnkosnnllr

The Operator
11-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Went to Wal-Mart in Eaton with my girlfriend and her mom Thursday night for their two big sales at 10pm and midnight.

A 16-yr old girl got punched in the face by a middle aged man over some towels. No joke. Black Friday is teh suck.

RBA
11-26-2011, 03:58 PM
I think the hoopla and a chaos is a turnoff to customers like me. I hate crowds. I do most of my shopping online and am able to score better deals.

GAC
11-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Went to Walmart today and bought an Emerson 37" LED HDTV for $300.

gilpdawg
11-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Went to Wal-Mart in Eaton with my girlfriend and her mom Thursday night for their two big sales at 10pm and midnight.

A 16-yr old girl got punched in the face by a middle aged man over some towels. No joke. Black Friday is teh suck.
Good lord, don't go to Eaton! :D

Just kidding, kind of. Small town Wal-Marts are the worst. Bigger town Wal-Marts aren't much better.

Roy Tucker
11-28-2011, 09:15 AM
I refuse to get stampeded into marketing-driven rampant consumerism.

Get off my lawn, punks.

Roy Tucker
11-28-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/business/door-busters-become-an-uninvited-thanksgiving-guest.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=anthony%20hardwick&st=cse

bucksfan2
11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
I think the hoopla and a chaos is a turnoff to customers like me. I hate crowds. I do most of my shopping online and am able to score better deals.

I do most of my shopping on line now days. Most of the websites I use offer free shipping (and most are tax free) without the hassle of leaving my house. I don't like crowds, don't like constant pestering from workers, don't like to wait around while my wife looks everything over for a 3rd time. I can do all my shopping in the matter of minutes.

Chip R
11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Went to Walmart today and bought an Emerson 37" LED HDTV for $300.

Emerson sucks, GAC. Save that receipt.

Stray
11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
I didn't really go to the stores much. I hit up Wal-Mart in the afternoon to get some PS3 games but they were sold out of what I wanted. There was a gamestop close by and I went and got Madden 12, Dirt 3, and NBA 2K12 used for around 60 bucks total. They were having a buy 2 get 1 free for Power Up members.

Online I ordered a new 32 inch 1080p Vizio for $220, but I did that before Thanksgiving. On their website they have some crazy deals on limited quantity items. I also ordered 8GB of ram for my laptop for 35 bucks, and got my step dad a 16MP cyber shot camera for 99 dollars.

All in all I found some good deals and didn't have to mess with the crazy crowds.

GAC
11-29-2011, 05:31 AM
Emerson sucks, GAC. Save that receipt.

Emerson is made by Magnovox. And I've had Emerson's before. I currently have two that are 5 yrs old, and had no problems. It took a house fire to destroy the other two I had. LOL

[But I got the 3 yr service plan for $30]

thorn
12-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Bought a laptop at best buy on Friday, paid 449, not the one I wanted but the wife really wanted a new laptop, slight discount but not much. Well, yesterday I looked on line, the exact same laptop is now 299 in store, yep $150 less. Went to best buy and they didn't want to give me back the difference at first, called the manager told him how much time we would be wasting for me to bring back the other, get a full refund, then buy the new one, he agreed, gave me back my $150. Apparently they don't want to do price exchanges for black Friday items. My advice is skip black Friday unless there is a item that is real cheap and you want it, buy the week after black Friday, especially at amazon, love that site.