PDA

View Full Version : Former Red Hal Morris Appointed Director of Pro Scouting for Angels

savafan
11-14-2011, 02:24 PM
http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20111114&content_id=25968576&vkey=pr_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana

The Angels Monday announced former Major League first baseman Hal Morris has agreed to terms on a multi-year contract to become Director of Pro Scouting. The announcement was made by General Manager Jerry Dipoto.

"Hal brings a very special set of skills to our organization," said Dipoto. "His abilities in the areas of player evaluation and qualitative analysis will play a major role in the program we are building here."

Morris, 46, began his professional career after his selection by the New York Yankees in the eighth round of the 1986 First-Year Player draft. He attended Munster High School in Munster, Indiana, and later the University of Michigan. Morris was part of a Michigan team that started the 1983 campaign with a 33-0 record and eventually participated in the College World Series. Morris was part of a team that included three future Reds (also Barry Larkin and Chris Sabo).

MartyFan
11-14-2011, 06:17 PM
http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20111114&content_id=25968576&vkey=pr_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana

Also noticed that Hal recently got remarried too.

Life seems to be on the upswing for Mr. Morris.:thumbup:

westofyou
11-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Hal Mooris juiced, kinda didn't work the way everyone expected it to eh?

Benihana
11-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Also has an MBA from Stanford.

George Anderson
11-15-2011, 10:09 AM
His dad is a doctor in Munster, Indiana.

He got his "smarts" from dad I am guessing.

OesterPoster
11-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Only because I can't remember, anyone know who Hal charged on the mound during a spring training game? He broke his clavicle or separated his shoulder...something like that?

Benihana
11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Only because I can't remember, anyone know who Hal charged on the mound during a spring training game? He broke his clavicle or separated his shoulder...something like that?

Jose Mesa. If anyone has a video of it, I'd love to see it.

camisadelgolf
11-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Yep, it was Jose Mesa. Before interleague play started, the Reds and Indians would play an exhibition game in the Columbus Clippers' old stadium shortly before the regular season started. I remember going to a couple as a kid, and it was a ton of fun. Plenty of fans showed up, too. I didn't get to see the Jose Mesa fight, but I remember Morris missing plenty of time during the season because of his shoulder.

OesterPoster
11-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Yeah, after Beni mentioned it was Mesa, I looked up an article about it. Didn't realize Mesa had given up 2 dingers and then threw behind Morris's head.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/282982/SCUFFLE-SIDELINES-REDS-MORRIS.html

Jose Mesa broke an unwritten rule of spring training, and Hal Morris separated his left shoulder trying to get even.

Morris, Cincinnati's starting first baseman, will be out from four to six weeks after injuring himself Tuesday when he charged the mound to tackle Mesa in a game against Cleveland.Mesa had given up consecutive home runs to Barry Larkin and Chris Sabo when he threw an 0-2 fastball behind Morris' head. Morris rushed the mound, and players on both teams followed.

"Everybody was saying, `Man, this is spring training. There's no need for this to happen,"' Cincinnati's Bip Roberts said after the Reds beat the Indians 6-5 at Winter Haven, Fla.

Rojo
11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Seems like a good fit. Angels are a ball-in-play kind of organization.