PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 11/15

chicoruiz
11-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Reds:

Hal Bevan -Had three ABs for the 1967 Reds. The fact that I remember him indicates that I spend too much time thinking about baseball.

Gus Bell -Besides being the patriarch of the Bell family, Gus was a very good player in his own right: a four-time all-star who led the league in triples once and hit for the cycle in 1951. A class act all the way.

Others:

Pedro Borbon (44) -The son, not the Red....

Pat Ragan -A measure of how weak the birthday pool is today is the inclusion of Ragan, a run-of-the-mill pitcher of the early 1900s. Ragan did once strike out the side on nine pitches; other than that there's not much to say about him. Ragan is the only pitcher born today with more than 27 career wins; Bell is the only hitter with over 500 career hits.

oneupper
11-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Reds:

Hal Bevan -Had three ABs for the 1967 Reds. The fact that I remember him indicates that I spend too much time thinking about baseball.

].

That's OK. Thinking about baseball improves your love life. :D

Bob Borkowski
11-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Gus Bell -Besides being the patriarch of the Bell family, Gus was a very good player in his own right: a four-time all-star who led the league in triples once and hit for the cycle in 1951. A class act all the way.

Yep, Gus Bell was indeed a class act all the way, chico. But being a contemporary of great center fielders like Mantle and Mays and Snider he never really received the attention and applause that was due him. We Reds fans appreciated him though.

Bob Borkowski
11-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Speaking of Gus Bell...as you mentioned, chico, he hit for the cycle on June 4, 1951.

On June 28, 2004, David Bell hit for the cycle in a Phillies 14-6 win over the Expos matching the feat of his grandfather. They are the only grandfather-grandson duo in major league history to accomplish this.