PDA

View Full Version : Alonso trade rumor

alett12
11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Here is the latest one i've heard it is kind of intertesing
Tampa gets Yonder and Mesoraco
Reds get Price, Hellickson, or Matt Moore and either Desmond Jennings or BJ Upton

Redleg
11-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Where did you here this.

Ohayou
11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Trololo.

I'd gladly take Moore and Jennings, though.

Fullboat
11-15-2011, 12:11 PM
I was ready to drive them to the airport until I noticed the "or".:lol:

I would go with Price & Upton.

Fullboat
11-15-2011, 12:47 PM
I was ready to drive them to the airport until I noticed the "or".:lol:

I would go with Price & Upton.

KYRedLeg
11-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Mez is supposedly Walt's "untouchable" player. I'll believe it when I see it.

izzy's dad
11-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I won't believe this until I see a source, and that is assuming the source is legitimate. Why would Tampa trade Hellickson, Moore, or Price? I know that they need offense, but all three of those guys are young and cheap.

dMaus14
11-15-2011, 02:34 PM
What about Arroyo for AJ Burnett plus cash?

Old NDN
11-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Let's ask again: Source?? No way Tampa is that dumb or desperate.

joe51391
11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
i wouldn't even blink so that means it can't be true

Hillsdale87
11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
The first 4 Rays listed are all more highly valued than the 2 the Reds would give up. No way that deal happens. Price, Hellickson, and Moore are either #1s or potential #1s, and Jennings is a much more valuable position player than Alonso or Mes.

redlegs7089
11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
this rumor is made up fo sho

The DARK
11-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Take it in a heartbeat and throw in Wood or Volquez. Alonso is blocked at 1B, is a poor defender in LF, and has Soto hot on his heels in AAA. Grandal is only a slight downgrade from Mesoraco, and is already in AAA as well. Meanwhile, our rotation gets an overhaul with a either a future or present #1 (just think of the upgrade: Price/Hellickson/Moore, Cueto, Leake, Bailey, Arroyo), and we get an answer in LF, especially on defense. I wouldn't discount this rumor either: the Rays already have Moore, Hellickson, Shields, and Price penciled into the rotation, and two top prospects waiting in the wings right behind them. BJ Upton was also the highest-paid player on the Rays last season other than Damon, and Alonso/Mesoraco would be huge upgrades over Jaso/Stoppach and Kotchmann. Make it happen, Walt.

I'm warming up to the idea of dangling Mesoraco. Grandal may need another year, but if you offer Hernandez arb, then you either get a supplemental and use a stopgap or get a reprise of the best catcher combo in baseball.

alett12
11-16-2011, 11:16 AM
It was on one of the reds talk shows i don't remember which one but an one of the guys on there said it made sense

drowg14
11-16-2011, 01:01 PM
One thing to consider in regards to Alonso is the possibility that the DH moves to the NL in 2013. The Astros will probably be in the AL, which will cause there to be more interleague games (15 teams each league), which will make sense to make the DH league wide. Alonso would be the prime candidate to be our full-time DH.

dMaus14
11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
He'll ne playing 1B in 2013 no need for him to be a DH

HalKing
11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't normally allow myself to get baited into these ridiculous offseason trade rumor discussions because, well... they are ridiculous. I am making an exception on this one because the match up between the Rays and Reds in a potential trade is very intriguing. Some of the names getting bantered about here are guys that each organization has labeled untouchable. Mesoraco by the Reds, Hellickson and Moore by the Rays. Untouchable guys do get traded occasionally if it makes sense though. The Rays are probably the best run organization in baseball and have an extremely good track record in both drafting and developing their own players and making trades that bring in great young talent. Both organizations have young talented guys that fit one another's needs. So they could match up. Shields I think is out of the question because he would almost immediately be priced out of the Reds pay range. Therefore if I'm playing GM for a day I'd take a shot at prying loose Hellickson or Moore. Like I said the Rays are very smart and aren't going to give either away unless you blow them away. The Rays need a firstbaseman, a catcher and they need bullpen help. I think if the Reds could make them an offer that gave them 2 to 3 position starters and a couple of bullpen arms they'd have to consider trading even an untouchable. The obvious guy the Reds would put in the deal would be Alonso as he plugs directly into their lineup at 1B. I hate to get too specific as it seems ridiculous to try to predict a trade that will never happen anyway, but I think the Rays would like any of these guys along with Alonso:

Hanigan(or obviously they'd like Mesoraco, I would avoid including him though)
Heisey or Sappelt
Jordan Smith or Sam Lecure
Jeremy Horst

That would give the Rays a starter at 1B, C and OF/DH and two bullpen arms. They may tell us no dice, but whats lost by trying? Moore is going to be a beast and Hellickson is coming off a ROY award. Going to take a lot to get either, but either could be our ace for years to come.

Redus
11-16-2011, 11:12 PM
I dont think Jennings would be on the table..hes just replaced Crawford for them amazingly well and cheap for now. Same with Moore. Id love to have them both but I dont see them trading away cheap talent.

Redus
11-16-2011, 11:27 PM
I dont think Jennings would be on the table..hes just replaced Crawford for them amazingly well and cheap for now. Same with Moore. Id love to have them both but I dont see them trading away cheap talent.

The DARK
11-16-2011, 11:34 PM

More likely Upton. He's probably gonna be the most expensive guy on the team. Still, it might take both Alonso and Mes to lure away even one of the pitchers... between a cheap AL 3rd place Cy Young, AL Rookie of the Year, and one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball, nobody is gonna come cheap. I wouldn't pull the trigger on Shields alone, since IMO 2 years of him isn't worth the hopefully 12 years combined we'll get out of Alonso and Mesoraco. For Moore and Hellickson, on the other hand, I'd pay both. Those kind of guys don't come around very often, and have a lot of good years ahead of them.

Redus
11-16-2011, 11:44 PM
I want nothing to do with Upton...in fact if im trading Mes im insisting Jennings is included...if they dont bite? Oh well Mes is my catcher for 10 years...im ok with that.

FireDusty
11-17-2011, 07:33 AM
It was on one of the reds talk shows i don't remember which one but an one of the guys on there said it made sense

Which Reds talk show?

What station?

Which "Guys"?

Or, a more likely story.....you completely fabricated the entire thing.

I listen to sports talk radio for an hour on the way to work, all day I have it playing on my laptop....and then for an hour on the way home. I'm not aware of any "Reds Talk Shows" other than the Hot Stove on 700 WLW and then just general talk on 700WLW, 1530 WCKY, 1360....so on.

Ummm.........can you give me more specifics?

izzy's dad
11-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Breaking news: The Reds trade Yonder Alonso, Yasmani Grandal, Veda Pinson, Jamie Ramsey, and two racks of ribs from the Montgomery Inn, to the Yankees for Mickey Mantle. Left field problem solved! This is totally legit. I heard it from a guy, who knows a guy, that over heard Walt Jocketty discuss this trade with Brian Cashman at a Chick-fil-a. Trust me, it is going down.

alett12
11-17-2011, 11:17 AM
It was one of the XM Stations i was in a friends car so i dont remember the station but it was bowden talking about it so if anyone else remembers hearing this or something close it does make sense for both teams

texasdave
11-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Breaking news: The Reds trade Yonder Alonso, Yasmani Grandal, Veda Pinson, Jamie Ramsey, and two racks of ribs from the Montgomery Inn, to the Yankees for Mickey Mantle. Left field problem solved! This is totally legit. I heard it from a guy, who knows a guy, that over heard Walt Jocketty discuss this trade with Brian Cashman at a Chick-fil-a. Trust me, it is going down.

You had me until you said they were at Chick-Fil-A. Everybody knows Walt is a burger and fries kinda guy.

Michelle
11-20-2011, 08:35 PM
If younder alonso was being traded he would not be at reds fest this year

bengalsown
11-20-2011, 09:44 PM

So some hillbilly calls into a radio station and floats a scenario and it's a rumor? Cause that's what it sounds like happened...

bounty37h
11-21-2011, 09:22 AM
So some hillbilly calls into a radio station and floats a scenario and it's a rumor? Cause that's what it sounds like happened...

Arent all potential trades rumors until they actually happen? Its a message board, why are so many freaking out about the validity of a rumor, I dont care if its Peter Gammons or Peter Griffin, until it happens I take it all as it is....nothing.