PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Boss-Hog
11-15-2011, 07:16 PM
The other thread is nearing 1,000 replies, so please continue all discussions here.

top6
11-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Well I think the fact that it's mid-November and people are still interested enough in the team to necessitate a second thread demonstrates how much they've exceeded expectations.

Redhook
11-15-2011, 09:12 PM
No team I've ever rooted for has exceeded expectations as much as this one. I couldn't be happier with how things have turned out this year for them.

Boss-Hog
11-15-2011, 10:05 PM
I agree. Prior to this year, I had season tickets for the past six years, and like many, I non-renewed this past offseason. While I don't regret that decision one bit, I'm thoroughly enjoying this season because my expectations were so low, and through nine games, I'm thrilled to be wrong. FWIW, I did go to the Steelers game.

bucksfan2
11-15-2011, 10:32 PM
No team I've ever rooted for has exceeded expectations as much as this one. I couldn't be happier with how things have turned out this year for them.

There have been very few teams that were as fun to watch as these Bengals. You have youth, hope, and also exceeding expectation. This team reminds me a lot of the 2010 Reds. Just a pleasure to watch.

5TimeWSChamps
11-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Looks like no AJ this week.

Gonna take a huge performance by Ced to win

Ohayou
11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Looks like no AJ this week.

Gonna take a huge performance by Ced to win

Or Stickum spray for Simpson.

CTA513
11-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Or Stickum spray for Simpson.

or get Gresham more involved

cincrazy
11-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Well AJ said he's a game-time decision, so I wouldn't rule him out just yet. Definitely a tough break for us, but we can still win a low-scoring, close ballgame even without him.

Sea Ray
11-17-2011, 01:34 PM
The game this week doesn't just hinge on AJ. There's Dunlap, PacMan and others too.

I don't like our chances without AJ but I'm going to watch it anyway...

Benihana
11-17-2011, 06:36 PM
AJ, Clements, and Pacman all did not practice yesterday. Without all three, the Bengals should be 20 point underdogs. Who the hell is going to play CB?

cincrazy
11-17-2011, 08:07 PM
AJ, Clements, and Pacman all did not practice yesterday. Without all three, the Bengals should be 20 point underdogs. Who the hell is going to play CB?

Our defensive line can still get pressure on Flacco, and the Ravens aren't nearly good enough to ever be favored by 20 points over us. Certainly we're in a tough spot if those guys can't go, but I'd hardly say we don't have a shot. This same Ravens team has lost to Jacksonville, Seattle and Tennessee this season (all teams we've taken care of), so they're not exactly a juggernaut.

Danny Serafini
11-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Clements always takes Wednesday off, it a veteran's maintenance day for him. He was back today.

Redhook
11-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but what in the world was Gruden thinking running a reverse with AJ Green after his knee injury? That was insane. They were lucky that Green wasn't immediately lost for the year, and then they press their luck by running a play that puts a huge amount of pressure on his knees. It was so idiotic I darn near spit out my drink. To no one's surprise, at least not mine, Green didn't go in for another play that game.

This is tough to say, but if I'm the Bengals, I don't play Green Sunday and I don't think twice about it. He's obviously amazing, but he's not 100% and there's an excellent chance he'll further his injury. Rest him for a week and let him come back close to normal.

traderumor
11-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but what in the world was Gruden thinking running a reverse with AJ Green after his knee injury? That was insane. They were lucky that Green wasn't immediately lost for the year, and then they press their luck by running a play that puts a huge amount of pressure on his knees. It was so idiotic I darn near spit out my drink. To no one's surprise, at least not mine, Green didn't go in for another play that game.

This is tough to say, but if I'm the Bengals, I don't play Green Sunday and I don't think twice about it. He's obviously amazing, but he's not 100% and there's an excellent chance he'll further his injury. Rest him for a week and let him come back close to normal.I don't see where that play was any worse than letting him run a route where he might run after the catch. If he can't run a reverse, then he can't run a route and shouldn't be on the field, which is what turned out to be the verdict.

cincrazy
11-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Jets fall to Broncos tonight. Seeing as how they're probably our stiffest competition for the final playoff spot, especially with our tiebreaker edge over Tenn and Buff, I'd say this definitely helps the Bengals.

Stray
11-18-2011, 01:10 AM
The legend of Tebow continues to grow...

CTA513
11-18-2011, 01:19 AM

Not sure how long it will last if he has to take hits like he does week after week.

texasdave
11-18-2011, 01:20 AM

If my math is correct, and it is late, up until that last drive Tebow was 6-15 passing for 69 yards. He had rushed twice for 11 yards. And the Denver offense had only generated 134 yards.

It wasn't quite Jim Elway's "The Drive". But did anyone expect Tebow to lead the Broncos 95 yards down the field for a winning touchdown?

5TimeWSChamps
11-18-2011, 04:10 AM
Ray Lewis out Sunday

Stray
11-18-2011, 09:57 AM
If my math is correct, and it is late, up until that last drive Tebow was 6-15 passing for 69 yards. He had rushed twice for 11 yards. And the Denver offense had only generated 134 yards.

It wasn't quite Jim Elway's "The Drive". But did anyone expect Tebow to lead the Broncos 95 yards down the field for a winning touchdown?

I kinda did. For whatever reason that guy finds a way to do what is needed at the end of games. It might be ugly, but you can't argue his results. That whole team seems to play better when he's the QB.

Sea Ray
11-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Injured players hardly ever practice on Wednesday. On Thursday we only had two out and that's not bad

Green and tight end Donald Lee (foot) appeared to be the only players not suited for practicehttp://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/With-Green-not-practicing-Caldwell-becomes-outsider-Jones-tries-it/80c27f0e-09bb-42cf-ae92-14433dd303d9

It'll be nice to get Dunlap back

Sea Ray
11-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Jets fall to Broncos tonight. Seeing as how they're probably our stiffest competition for the final playoff spot, especially with our tiebreaker edge over Tenn and Buff, I'd say this definitely helps the Bengals.

Exactly. I'm beginning to think 9-7 will get us in

HotCorner
11-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Ray Lewis could miss more than this game too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/18/report-ray-lewis-will-miss-sundays-game-maybe-more/

bucksfan2
11-18-2011, 10:14 AM

This is tough to say, but if I'm the Bengals, I don't play Green Sunday and I don't think twice about it. He's obviously amazing, but he's not 100% and there's an excellent chance he'll further his injury. Rest him for a week and let him come back close to normal.

Any snap in football where your running down the field and making cuts puts a tremendous amount of pressure on your knees. I didn't really mind the play call. If Green said he was ready to play then you need to get him into action right away. A reverse or slant or WR screen are the ways to go.

MWM
11-18-2011, 11:10 AM
What's being said about Tebow now is almost word for word what was being said about Vince Young when he first got the starting role. "He just knows how to win." It's no different.

At the end of the day, if he doesn't learn to throw the ball better, he will not be starting in the NFL for long. I knew he wasn't the best passer in the world, but I was surprised last night at just how off he is with his throws. He really doesn't make any good ones. He's a gimmick right now, and there's just no way what he's doing now is sustainable.

CTA513
11-18-2011, 04:21 PM
What's being said about Tebow now is almost word for word what was being said about Vince Young when he first got the starting role. "He just knows how to win." It's no different.

At the end of the day, if he doesn't learn to throw the ball better, he will not be starting in the NFL for long. I knew he wasn't the best passer in the world, but I was surprised last night at just how off he is with his throws. He really doesn't make any good ones. He's a gimmick right now, and there's just no way what he's doing now is sustainable.

Just being able to be accurate on 10-15 yard throws would help the Broncos offense out a lot.
Right now he just looks like a running back that is allowed to throw 10 or so times a game.

Sea Ray
11-19-2011, 10:02 AM

I don't disagree with you and Tebow is a very compelling subject but why turn a Bengals thread into a discussion of Tim Tebow as a QB? Why did you choose this thread?

Redhook
11-19-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't disagree with you and Tebow is a very compelling subject but why turn a Bengals thread into a discussion of Tim Tebow as a QB? Why did you choose this thread?

Post #17 is where it started.

Ohayou
11-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Carl's Lock: Cincinnati Bengals Vs. Baltimore Ravens

http://video.adultswim.com/carl/carls-lock-cincinnati-bengals-vs-baltimore-ravens.html

KoryMac5
11-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Green and Lewis both inactive today.

Oxilon
11-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Andy Dalton looks good. Again.

The Operator
11-20-2011, 02:55 PM
A rare bad punt from Huber gives the Ravens an easy TD to tie at at 7.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 02:56 PM
A rare bad punt from Huber gives the Ravens an easy TD to tie at at 7.

The punt was bad.... but a reliever getting behind the defense a full 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage is more to blame IMO.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 03:08 PM
We need a solid drive here to get some momentum back.

Playadlc
11-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Huber is having an awful day.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 03:29 PM
What a terrible decision by Flacco there. Hopefully the Bengals can get something here.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Not a good decision by Dalton there. Could have really used three there.

Stray
11-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Eh didn't really have anyone open and it was 3rd down. That's basically a punt that can draw a PI or get you a TD.

We've been a better 2nd half team so we'll see how it goes. AJ's loss is hurting us big time.

Ohayou
11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Better 3 than 7...

Brutus
11-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Better 7 than 3!

Stray
11-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Nice drive there, really needed it.

Ohayou
11-20-2011, 04:11 PM
What the hell?

Ohayou
11-20-2011, 04:31 PM
That's game.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 04:34 PM
I didn't think we would win without AJ Green.... but I really don't like how this has played out.

MWM
11-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Amazing what a difference a guy like AJ Green can have on a game. It's a different offense without him. He's that good, already!

Brutus
11-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Andy Dalton taketh and Andy Dalton giveth. He says, 'not so fast, my friends.'

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Andy Dalton taketh and Andy Dalton giveth. He says, 'not so fast, my friends.'

He can say that all he wants.... they are going to need to be +17 in the 4th just to tie it.

Brutus
11-20-2011, 04:49 PM
He can say that all he wants.... they are going to need to be +17 in the 4th just to tie it.

That's not exactly insurmountable.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
That's not exactly insurmountable.

No, but highly unlikely. Especially when its more than you put up in the first three.

Brutus
11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
No, but highly unlikely. Especially when its more than you put up in the first three.

The Rays and the Cardinals say hello.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 04:55 PM
The Rays and the Cardinals say hello.

Every other team in history says hello back.

Ohayou
11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Dalton is just a freak in 4th quarters. You cannot deny that.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Great concentration by Gresham. Him tripping over himself may have allowed him to keep his second foot in bounds.

Stray
11-20-2011, 04:59 PM
What a great catch

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 05:03 PM
That is still the worst rule in football. Unreal. You can catch it. Cross the goal line. Then its ruled not a catch because after you crossed the line you fell out of bounds then lost posession. That is like fumbling after you cross the goal line.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Only a truly cursed franchise would have that TD overruled.

If it takes that long to review it, the evidence must not be that conclusive to overrule.

I'm tired of this team always seeming to be on the short end of the stick with EVERYTHING. Just sick of it.

Stray
11-20-2011, 05:05 PM
That's a bad rule but they called it right. We've benefited from another bad rule a couple of times this year, the tuck rule.

Brutus
11-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Every other team in history says hello back.

Clearly not every team. The Mets, the Rockies, I could go on.

And the thing is... coming back from 17 down to start the 4th quarter is probably not statistically as great as those examples (who were like 95-99%).

Nonetheless, it's not +17 anymore. It's down to 7 points.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Clearly not every team. The Mets, the Rockies, I could go on.

And the thing is... coming back from 17 down to start the 4th quarter is probably not statistically as great as those examples (who were like 95-99%).

Nonetheless, it's not +17 anymore. It's down to 7 points.

No team has ever done what either the Carindals or Rays did this year, in the time frame in which they did it. So yeah, every other team in history says hello.

But you are right, 17 back isn't the same. I am sure its been done more than twice.

KoryMac5
11-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Can't see where the officials saw enough evidence to overturn that play. TD should have been upheld.

Brutus
11-20-2011, 05:10 PM
No team has ever done what either the Carindals or Rays did this year, in the time frame in which they did it. So yeah, every other team in history says hello.

But you are right, 17 back isn't the same. I am sure its been done more than twice.

Wrong. Statistically speaking, neither of those comebacks were the greatest in baseball history. They were 3rd & 5th respectively.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Wrong. Statistically speaking, neither of those comebacks were the greatest in baseball history. They were 3rd & 5th respectively.

They were the greatest ever when considering how many games back they were when September started, were they not?

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Can't see where the officials saw enough evidence to overturn that play. TD should have been upheld.

By rule, it wasn't a TD. But the rule is beyond stupid. When a running back crosses the goal line, the play is dead. When a receiver does, he must continue through a tackle or fall despite having established his feet in bounds with possession.

The only rule in football that I can think of that is worse is that spiking the football isn't intentional grounding.

Brutus
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM

They actually were not the greatest. Statistically, there were at least 2-3 others that, by percentage, were greater (according to BP IIRC).

Ohayou
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM
My pants are moist.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 05:18 PM
So the WR rule might cost the Bengals a chance to tie this game up with a chip shot FG here.

Stray
11-20-2011, 05:21 PM
3 straight 3 man rushes and we can't block em. Too bad for Dalton.

BuckeyeRedleg
Same old. Same old. Should have been kicking a FG to tie it.

No break ever go their way. No help from the officials. Horrible luck.

Cursed.

KoryMac5
Dalton gets horsecollared and they hit him for intentional grounding. Crazy game!

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Same old. Same old. Should have been kicking a FG to tie it.

No break ever go their way. No help from the officials. Horrible luck.

Cursed.

I still blame Pete Rose.

Joseph
11-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Better than last year, still not in the same league as Baltimore or Pittsburgh.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 05:25 PM

So we just went to Baltimore and came up a terrible rule call, a non called horse collar and 17 yards short and we aren't in the same league as them?

Brutus

Considering they just lost by a total of 14 points to those two teams; without their best defensive player last week and without their best offensive player this week, I'd say they are in fact in their league.

MWM
Hopefully they will change that rule. Next to a few of golf's rules, it may be the dumbest rule in all of sports.

CTA513
Can't turn the ball over as much as they did and you can't keep letting WRs get behind the defense like they keep on doing.

Ohayou
11-20-2011, 05:28 PM

483 yards against arguably the best defense in the league with a Rookie QB. Nothing to be upset about there.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Hopefully they will change that rule. Next to a few of golf's rules, it may be the dumbest rule in all of sports.

If they do, I'm sure it will just come back to bite them in the butt on defense.

It's just never meant to be with the Bengals.

KoryMac5
11-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Even though they lost my confidence in Dalton grows more and more every week. Kid made a few mistakes but he had a chance at the end to win. This team is young and a lot of fun to watch even when they lose. I would say the future is very bright.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-20-2011, 05:31 PM
483 yards against arguably the best defense in the league with a Rookie QB. Nothing to be upset about there.

And yet still an L in the standings. Moral victories don't get you anywhere in the NFL.

Stray
11-20-2011, 05:34 PM
We're close guys. I know we've lost 2 in a row, but I'm still really excited about how good this team can be.

KoryMac5
11-20-2011, 05:34 PM
And yet still an L in the standings. Moral victories don't get you anywhere in the NFL.

Yes an L in the standings but valuable experience for a young team still learning how to win close games.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Yes an L in the standings but valuable experience for a young team still learning how to win close games.

Yes, but experience only goes so far when it's just not meant to be. They never seem to get a call.

Ohayou
11-20-2011, 05:37 PM

And pessimism does?

BuckeyeRedleg
11-20-2011, 05:42 PM
And pessimism does?

Yes, my pessimism will alter the Bengal's season.

Rah rah! Go bENgalz!

I'm being harsh. I'm really glad you're happy. Who am I to try to be a buzzkill with the moral victory celebration.

The Operator
11-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Alright guys, cool down. We're all on the same side here.

Oxilon
11-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Possession and two feet in. Gresham's TD should have counted and would have at the very least put us into OT. That Calvin Johnson rule (even if it applies here) is simply horrendous.

KoryMac5
11-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Yes, but experience only goes so far when it's just not meant to be. They never seem to get a call.

I got some friends in Buffalo that would disagree with that statement. It sucks and I was pretty mad at those two blown calls but man I am looking forward to the next time these kids play.

5TimeWSChamps
11-20-2011, 05:54 PM
If we were the New York Bengals we would have won. Avsolute screwjob

KoryMac5
11-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Next week with Cleveland at home is a must win for this team especially with Blitzburg looming the following week.

KoryMac5
11-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Moving forward this team needs a stud RB, as it is starting to turn cold. Lack of a running game could hurt us as they get into late Nov/Dec.

Stray
11-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah not sure where all this bad luck talk is coming from. We've had quite a few good breaks this year.

It sucks we lost, but it's hard not to be excited about these guys. Look what we did to their defense without Green.

KoryMac5
11-20-2011, 06:25 PM
From NFL rules guru Mike Periera, horsecollar tackles do not apply when QB's are in the pocket. Chalk that up to something I did not know.

KoryMac5
11-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Periera also tweets: In Cin/Bal - I would have kept it as a TD.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 07:07 PM
If we were the New York Bengals we would have won. Avsolute screwjob

Doubtful. Unfortunately, the rule was called correctly. If you want to argue that the rule is beyond stupid and doesn't jive with anything else in the game in regards to what is and isn't possession of the football, then go ahead. But for now, this stupid rule is on the books and was called correctly.

Ohayou
11-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Yes, my pessimism will alter the Bengal's season.

Rah rah! Go bENgalz!

I'm being harsh. I'm really glad you're happy. Who am I to try to be a buzzkill with the moral victory celebration.

I was referring to weaklings like Palmer and Ochocinco, not you.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-20-2011, 09:43 PM
I got some friends in Buffalo that would disagree with that statement. It sucks and I was pretty mad at those two blown calls but man I am looking forward to the next time these kids play.

Good for you. I do too. It will be interesting to see how they get screwed or screw themselves in their next big game.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Doubtful. Unfortunately, the rule was called correctly. If you want to argue that the rule is beyond stupid and doesn't jive with anything else in the game in regards to what is and isn't possession of the football, then go ahead. But for now, this stupid rule is on the books and was called correctly.

And yet, if it was that cut and dry I'm sure it wouldn't have taken so long to overrule.

I would bet if that scenario was reversed, the call on the field would not have been overruled.

I blame Adam Dunn and Drew Stubbs.

Playadlc
11-20-2011, 10:09 PM
I know Dalton threw some poor passes today, but I feel really good about him at QB. He is resilient and just flat competes.

I hope we somehow find a way to get in the playoffs because this team could make a run at it.

dougdirt
11-20-2011, 10:31 PM
And yet, if it was that cut and dry I'm sure it wouldn't have taken so long to overrule.

I would bet if that scenario was reversed, the call on the field would not have been overruled.

I want to hear the reasoning for blaming Dunn and Stubbs. I can at least trace back my crazy Pete Rose theory. The Bengals and Reds both sucked for long periods of time before those guys came along. When Pete Rose was voted to be ineligible for the HOF, February 1991, the Bengals were coming off of a winning season and the Reds off of a World Series win. How have things been since for sports in Cincinnati?

Oxilon
11-20-2011, 10:32 PM
I know Dalton threw some poor passes today, but I feel really good about him at QB. He is resilient and just flat competes.

I hope we somehow find a way to get in the playoffs because this team could make a run at it.

With our remaining schedule and our competition, I really like our chances of making the playoffs. The Jets are probably are strongest competition and they aren't all that good at the moment. I'd say the AFC North takes 3 teams to the playoffs this year.

Hap
11-20-2011, 11:06 PM

I heard it was Bob Boone's fault.

AtomicDumpling
11-21-2011, 12:31 AM

I disagree. The rule was definitely not called correctly. The receiver never lost control of the ball. Even though the ball shifted in his hand for a millisecond several steps after he caught it he never did lose control of the ball. Just an unbelievably bad call by a referee that apparently was ignorant of the rule. It was a clear catch. The fact that it took them 6 minutes in the booth should have made it obvious they did not have the incontrovertible evidence required by rule to overturn the call.

cincrazy
11-21-2011, 12:39 AM
Good for you. I do too. It will be interesting to see how they get screwed or screw themselves in their next big game.

They're a young team, with several key players out due to injury. I understand the disappointment, but it's hardly anything to lose sleep over. This team is still in position to make the playoffs.

HeatherC1212
11-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Take a step back and realize what some of you guys are saying. Three months ago we were all fretting about how few wins this team might get this year and how bad they could potentially be.....now there's talk about them making the playoffs. My how things have changed! :eek: I don't care if they make the playoffs or not this year (although I'd love it if they got in). I'm just thrilled that they've surprised some folks this year and are doing way better than anyone thought they would with so many inexperienced players on the roster. This team is enjoyable to watch and I'm very excited for the rest of this season as well as for their future. :)

Ohayou
11-21-2011, 01:31 AM
People can be bitter all they want about the Steelers/Ravens' success, but enough with the 'same old Bengals' crap. This is a new decade.

top6
11-21-2011, 01:31 AM
Take a step back and realize what some of you guys are saying. Three months ago we were all fretting about how few wins this team might get this year and how bad they could potentially be.....now there's talk about them making the playoffs. My how things have changed! :eek: I don't care if they make the playoffs or not this year (although I'd love it if they got in). I'm just thrilled that they've surprised some folks this year and are doing way better than anyone thought they would with so many inexperienced players on the roster. This team is enjoyable to watch and I'm very excited for the rest of this season as well as for their future. :)

I agree with you and have posted similar thoughts in this thread. But to play devil's advocate, this team won a division title 2 years ago. I am not sure why limping to a .500 record two years later is somehow acceptable.

Despite what many people keep saying, MANY past Bengals teams showed a lot of heart and made dramatic comebacks against the Ravens and Steelers. In 2009, Carson Palmer led the team in a game very similar to this one at Baltimore, except they were able to win. (He also led the team to a thrilling come-from-behind win over Pittsburgh at home.) I swear, sometimes I think I'm the only Bengals fan who remembers that 2009 happened. All these comments along the lines of "past Bengals teams would have folded when down 17!" just aren't true at all about many recent teams, or really most of Marvin's teams, IMO.

In any event, I will continue to feel good about this team as long as they keep winning the games they are supposed to win, and that includes Cleveland this week. That is the type of game they absolutely can't lose, and the pressure will really be on, and I will have no problem calling the team a major disappointment if they lose. This is really the first must-win game of the year.

top6
11-21-2011, 01:41 AM
I want to hear the reasoning for blaming Dunn and Stubbs. I can at least trace back my crazy Pete Rose theory. The Bengals and Reds both sucked for long periods of time before those guys came along. When Pete Rose was voted to be ineligible for the HOF, February 1991, the Bengals were coming off of a winning season and the Reds off of a World Series win. How have things been since for sports in Cincinnati?

This theory is absurd. For one, Pete had already been long disgraced when that vote happened. If he did put some sort of sports curse on the city, it would have happened when he was banned from baseball. But that happened in August 1989; the Reds won the World Series not 1.5 years later. (Pete watched that World Series from a jail cell, if I recall.) And even given your date of February 1991, the Reds have had some success since then, and have won a playoff series since then.

It's obvious to me that only one team in this city is really cursed, and it's the Bengals. And it's equally obvious that they are cursed as a result of ending the career of Bo Jackson, who was probably the greatest athlete in American history, but whose career was sadly cut short by the Bengals. (We didn't end his career totally, but he was never the same.) That was in 1990. The Bengals didn't make the playoffs again until 2005, when they lost to their most hated rivals in one game. And again in 2009 they lost in Round 1 in embarrassing fashion. They have simply never been the same since they ended Bo's career, and I'm pretty sure the Sports Gods will make sure they never will be.

dougdirt
11-21-2011, 04:53 AM
This theory is absurd. For one, Pete had already been long disgraced when that vote happened. If he did put some sort of sports curse on the city, it would have happened when he was banned from baseball. But that happened in August 1989; the Reds won the World Series not 1.5 years later. (Pete watched that World Series from a jail cell, if I recall.) And even given your date of February 1991, the Reds have had some success since then, and have won a playoff series since then.

It's obvious to me that only one team in this city is really cursed, and it's the Bengals. And it's equally obvious that they are cursed as a result of ending the career of Bo Jackson, who was probably the greatest athlete in American history, but whose career was sadly cut short by the Bengals. (We didn't end his career totally, but he was never the same.) That was in 1990. The Bengals didn't make the playoffs again until 2005, when they lost to their most hated rivals in one game. And again in 2009 they lost in Round 1 in embarrassing fashion. They have simply never been the same since they ended Bo's career, and I'm pretty sure the Sports Gods will make sure they never will be.
I like my theory better. I hate Pete Rose for what he did to this team and city.

bucksfan2
11-21-2011, 09:45 AM
I agree with you and have posted similar thoughts in this thread. But to play devil's advocate, this team won a division title 2 years ago. I am not sure why limping to a .500 record two years later is somehow acceptable.

Despite what many people keep saying, MANY past Bengals teams showed a lot of heart and made dramatic comebacks against the Ravens and Steelers. In 2009, Carson Palmer led the team in a game very similar to this one at Baltimore, except they were able to win. (He also led the team to a thrilling come-from-behind win over Pittsburgh at home.) I swear, sometimes I think I'm the only Bengals fan who remembers that 2009 happened. All these comments along the lines of "past Bengals teams would have folded when down 17!" just aren't true at all about many recent teams, or really most of Marvin's teams, IMO.

In any event, I will continue to feel good about this team as long as they keep winning the games they are supposed to win, and that includes Cleveland this week. That is the type of game they absolutely can't lose, and the pressure will really be on, and I will have no problem calling the team a major disappointment if they lose. This is really the first must-win game of the year.

2009 seems like a distant memory doesn't it. 2009 was a fun year, with a lot of dramatic comebacks. But to me its really the different directions that the teams are going. The 09 team did it with a bunch of vets, smash mouth football, with a good but aging defense. This team is doing it when no one expected anything of them, their best players are young, very young, and the team should be trending in the right direction. Oh and throw in an offensive game plan that isn't stagnant based upon what worked 3 years ago.

The Bengals absolutely need to win the Cleveland game. They can afford 2 more losses on the schedule and make the playoffs. I do think the Bengals will beat the Ravens at home, even if the Ravens are going full bore, but I really would like to see that game not matter.

KoryMac5
11-21-2011, 09:50 AM

Let's also remember that the Bengals were predicted to go 0-16 this season, how can being a .500 team or 9-7 be disappointing. Yes Cleveland is a must win game for this team. Hopefully Green is back, and I love being excited in late NOV.

Hoosier Red
11-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Dalton gets horsecollared and they hit him for intentional grounding. Crazy game!

They were explaining on Sportstalk after the game that the Horsecollar rule doesn't apply to a quarterback who is in the pocket. Which makes sense(sort of) because the reason a horse collar tackle is so dangerous is if a runner is running one direction, and gets yanked in the other direction it causes whiplash. Not as severe if a person is stationary and gets pulled down that way.

What I didn't understand was the announcers saying Dalton made a bad decision by chucking it there. One thing I've always thought was that the Intentional grounding penalty wasn't severe enough. The penalty is that essentially the other team is awarded a sack. So from where Dalton was,completely wrapped up, it's not like he was going to get anything anyway. Might as well chuck it in the general direction of the receiver and see if you get lucky with a no call.

KoryMac5
11-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Periara had more to say about the call courtesy of Bengals.com

“Gresham was going to the ground to complete the catch, but he had complete control of the ball in his right hand before the ball hit the ground,” Pereira wrote. “I do agree that the ball moves slightly when it hits the ground, but in this case Gresham kept his right hand on the ball the entire time. The ball will always move, which is why referees are told never to use that terminology. You either maintain possession or you lose possession, which means your hands come off the ball.

In the end, it’s all about judgment. But you need absolutely indisputable evidence to overturn a ruling on the field.”

The Johnson rule wasn't what upset me yesterday. It was the fact that there was not enough evidence to overturn it. I looked at the replay over and over again with CBS and could not say with 100% certainty that his hand came off the ball.

RichRed
11-21-2011, 02:30 PM
They were explaining on Sportstalk after the game that the Horsecollar rule doesn't apply to a quarterback who is in the pocket. Which makes sense(sort of) because the reason a horse collar tackle is so dangerous is if a runner is running one direction, and gets yanked in the other direction it causes whiplash. Not as severe if a person is stationary and gets pulled down that way.

What I didn't understand was the announcers saying Dalton made a bad decision by chucking it there. One thing I've always thought was that the Intentional grounding penalty wasn't severe enough. The penalty is that essentially the other team is awarded a sack. So from where Dalton was,completely wrapped up, it's not like he was going to get anything anyway. Might as well chuck it in the general direction of the receiver and see if you get lucky with a no call.

I'm unable to check the video now, but I could've sworn Dalton was also hit on the helmet or facemask during that non-horsecollar grounding play, which would've given them new life.

Hap
11-21-2011, 02:36 PM
I could've sworn Dalton was also hit on the helmet or facemask during that non-horsecollar grounding play, which would've given them new life.

You are 100% correct. Unfortunately, the officials didn't call it.

HotCorner
11-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Not to harp on the calls but I also noticed on the Gresham "non TD" call that Kyle Cook gets his helmet ripped off by a Ravens' player. Shortly after the snap, you see his helmet go flying in the air about 3-5 yards yet no hands to the face or unnecessary roughness penalty? It was 3rd and 2 and would have extended the drive.

Benihana
11-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Somewhat unrelated, but when was the last time any NFL team had back-to-back drafts as successful as the Bengals' 2010 and 2011 drafts, especially without any extra picks?

Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Jermaine Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, Jordan Shipley and Geno Atkins?!? WOW.

Ohayou
11-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Something to note:

Of Dalton's 12 interceptions, two were intended for Simpson and Gresham, three for Green, and SEVEN for Caldwell.

Reds/Flyers Fan
11-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Somewhat unrelated, but when was the last time any NFL team had back-to-back drafts as successful as the Bengals' 2010 and 2011 drafts, especially without any extra picks?

Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Jermaine Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, Jordan Shipley and Geno Atkins?!? WOW.

And this bodes very well for the next two drafts, assuming the trend continues. It's ridiculous how stacked the Bengals are shaping up to be in 2012 and beyond.

:beerme:

Oxilon
11-21-2011, 08:54 PM
And this bodes very well for the next two drafts, assuming the trend continues. It's ridiculous how stacked the Bengals are shaping up to be in 2012 and beyond.

I agree it looks promising. But I guess I've been 'Bungalized' too much over the years. Whenever this team has high expectations, they always seem to cave. Looking back, it's kind of hard to believe the Bengals only went to the playoffs twice with Palmer as their QB.

Cheers to hoping Dalton and Co. bring an end to that next season.

Todd Gack
11-21-2011, 09:49 PM

I'm amazed at how many people complain about the weak 'blows' to the head of the QB's when its against their team but are begging for it when it's done against them. I'd like to see more consistency from NFL fans and hate all of them no matter if it was your team or not.

WVRed
11-21-2011, 10:41 PM

I have a feeling the Bengals will blow any goodwill created by trading Carson Palmer by selecting Janoris Jenkins.

Just sayin'.

MWM
11-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Seems quiet on the Carson Palmer front in here. Maybe he wasn't going to be awful for them afterall. I can't imagine Oakland fans are disappointed in the deal.

Hoosier Red
11-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Fair enough MWM. He's been much better than I anticipated. Maybe the 1/2 year off refreshed him and getting into a situation where he was happier has helped motivate him. Still happier with the Bengals end of things though.

SeeinRed
11-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Seems quiet on the Carson Palmer front in here. Maybe he wasn't going to be awful for them afterall. I can't imagine Oakland fans are disappointed in the deal.

I obviously can't speak for every fan, but I haven't even really thought about Carson for the last few weeks. Dealing Carson provided the closure needed for most fans to focus on the team I believe. The Bengals are in the Playoff hunt and exceeding expectations by leaps and bounds. That is what has my interest now. I can't believe I am saying this, but it is a great time to be a Bengals fan IMO.

top6
11-22-2011, 04:14 PM
It may end up being a good deal for Oakland, but it was a phenomenal deal for the Bengals. It was pretty obvious Carson wasn't bluffing and was never going to play for them again. So, they basically got 1 first round pick and 1 first or second, but didn't have to actually give up anything.

That said, I'd rather the Bengals not make the playoffs than lose in the playoffs to the quitter. That would be awful to see a quitter be rewarded like that.

MWM
11-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the deal and have gotten on the Dalton wagon. I'm happy to have him as the QB for the next several years. But there were a lot of people saying Carson wasn't any good anymore, especially after this first week and that this was a bad deal for Oakland and they were going to see very quickly.

I've always thought all the problems couldn't be on Carson, although he shared some of the blame. I didn't think Palmer went from being a borderline elite QB to forgetting how to be a good one altogether. I was a big believer that almost no QB could have been successful under Bratkowski the last few years. I thought if he was given a chance somewhere else he would show that he's still got plenty of skills. They haven't played world beaters yet, but to look as good as he has the last couple of weeks considering he's only had about a month, and that was mid-season, is impressive. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a resurgent Carson Palmer the next couple of years. I don't think he'll get back to 2005 levels, but I think he'll be closer to that than 2010.

Hap
11-22-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't think he'll (Palmer) get back to 2005 levels.....

Kimo von Oelhoffen made sure of that...............but it wasn't on purpose .

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0434/8819/109291_crop_340x234.jpg

Benihana
11-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Kyle Orton just got released by Denver.

Have to imagine Chicago and Houston will be all over him. The Raiders may have been too, had they not given up potentially TWO first round picks for Carson Palmer :ughmamoru:

dougdirt
11-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Have to imagine Chicago and Houston will be all over him. The Raiders may have been too, had they not given up potentially TWO first round picks for Carson Palmer :ughmamoru:

That organization.... no one is sold on their current QB within the organization, so they cut the back up? Pure genius.

fearofpopvol1
11-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the deal and have gotten on the Dalton wagon. I'm happy to have him as the QB for the next several years. But there were a lot of people saying Carson wasn't any good anymore, especially after this first week and that this was a bad deal for Oakland and they were going to see very quickly.

I've always thought all the problems couldn't be on Carson, although he shared some of the blame. I didn't think Palmer went from being a borderline elite QB to forgetting how to be a good one altogether. I was a big believer that almost no QB could have been successful under Bratkowski the last few years. I thought if he was given a chance somewhere else he would show that he's still got plenty of skills. They haven't played world beaters yet, but to look as good as he has the last couple of weeks considering he's only had about a month, and that was mid-season, is impressive. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a resurgent Carson Palmer the next couple of years. I don't think he'll get back to 2005 levels, but I think he'll be closer to that than 2010.

I think it's far too early to proclaim much of anything. Has he looked "that good" as you put it? He's thrown more interceptions than touchdowns thus far. I'm not suggesting he can't be a good QB, but rather, it's just too early to tell.

MWM
11-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh I'm not proclaiming him returned to his best. But there were those proclaiming very definitively that he was done, wasn't any good anymore, a bad QB. I think those were clearly immature. The guy was once a superb QB, and it wasn't that long ago. He didn't just forget how to do that.

CTA513
11-22-2011, 08:12 PM

The trade demand might end up being the best thing for his elbow as it allowed him a lot more time to rest unlike in the past.

CTA513
11-22-2011, 08:14 PM
I think it's far too early to proclaim much of anything. Has he looked "that good" as you put it? He's thrown more interceptions than touchdowns thus far. I'm not suggesting he can't be a good QB, but rather, it's just too early to tell.

His arm has looked at lot better in the highlights I've seen outside of the KC game in which he probably should have never played.
Not sure how long it will last, but I'm guessing the extra time off and playing in a warmer climate will help.

CTA513
11-22-2011, 08:32 PM

The Raiders couldn't wait for the possibility of someone like Orton being released.
Boller is garbage and Pryor still has a way to go before he should even be considered at #2.
The Raiders have a ton of speed and if Palmers arm is healthy then hes a good fit for them since they like to run the ball and take shots deep.

CTA513
11-22-2011, 08:33 PM
That organization.... no one is sold on their current QB within the organization, so they cut the back up? Pure genius.

I'm not sure why they did it unless Orton asked to be released.

Orenda
11-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Im probably giving them too much credit, but it wouldnt surprise me if this was a strategic move to give chicago a chance to pick up orton, where he has a history, who plays oakland this week and who denver trails by a game. dont know if den has played chicago yet or not?

anyways, orton was done at qb in denver, the tebow experience will finish the year, if that doesnt work they'll go draft someone..

Orenda
11-22-2011, 09:46 PM
ive watched his last 3 from my new stomping grounds out west, and Palmer looks good. He still has plenty of arm, it looks improved but not the same as 05. he looks sharp though mentally, i think he's showing more leadership as well with the young wr's. Also hue jackson has a much better feel for Carson's game then brat did.

Oakland is legit redszone, they have playmakers at Wr, decent te, 2 RBs id take over Benson, and there offensive line was awesome last week. jared allen had his streak snapped last week and they played him one on one.

if they still had nnamdi they would be a clear top 4-5 team in the nfl imo, as is, i still think they stack up against anyone with in the afc as a darkhorse SB challenger

Orenda
11-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Palmer has looked much more comfortable the last 2 weeks. he is starting to command the offense, running a healthy dose of hurry up at times and audibling in and out of things. its impressive considering he hasnt been there long

Orenda
11-22-2011, 10:39 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if people are talking top 10 qb, by years end.

but the bengals got a good haul for him. Really you should be rooting for him to get another 1st, although mb really does like those cost control 2nd rounders, doesnt he?

no need to channel your inner sith lord, And LET THE HATE FLOW bengals fanr.

redsfandan
11-23-2011, 07:39 AM
True, but that 1st game kinda skews things.

Sea Ray
11-23-2011, 11:07 AM
What a difference a year makes, huh? Think about it. At this time last year, we had to watch our Bengals get pummeled by the Jets. Our Bengals were hopelessly out of it in many ways before the game even kicked off and we now know our QB had his mind on things other than Bengal football. I don't know about you, but I wasn't even looking forward to my team getting to play on Thanksgiving night. I knew we'd get embarrassed on national TV. This yr I'd be psyched if we played the Jets tomorrow night

Redsfaithful
11-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Carson Palmer had great games just last year for the Bengals. I still need to see more before declaring it a good deal for Oakland. Lot of football left.

traderumor
11-24-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think CP's performance is a part of evaluating this deal from the Bengals perspective. He was not going to play for the Bengals, getting two high draft choices and not paying CP's contract for a "striking" player was the win for the Bengals. The Raiders need performance to win the deal from their side.

Ohayou
11-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Might want to get Clements some different cleats. I'm watching this stream and he has fallen twice while covering his guy.

MWM
11-27-2011, 02:32 PM
I think this week's games will be the biggest barometer of the last 3. Losing to the Steelers and Ravens is nothing to be ashamed of. The Bengals of old would have come out and laid an egg the following week against Cleveland. Today will help us understand just how different they are.

Joseph
11-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Not looking like the new Bengals here, looks alot like the old ones so far in letting a below average offense move up and down the field like this and then giving them the ball on back to back plays to close the half resutling in points yet again. If Cleveland was catching 1/2 of what was thrown to them it wouldn't be this close.

dougdirt
11-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Still really missing Dunlap.

CTA513
11-27-2011, 03:33 PM
17-7 Browns with 7 seconds left in the half.

It was 10-7 but Dalton fumbled giving the Browns a short field with less than a minute left.

Ohayou
11-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Still really missing Joseph.

Oxilon
11-27-2011, 03:40 PM
It's not just JJ. When will the Bengals realize Crocker and Nelson shouldn't be your starting safeties?

Ohayou
11-27-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm not so much worried about our safeties. Mays is going to get a chance to play soon.

dougdirt
11-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm not so much worried about our safeties. Mays is going to get a chance to play soon.

That should worry you. Mays is behind those guys for a reason.

Oxilon
11-27-2011, 03:43 PM

I really hope they Bengals don't have to rely on a draft bust whom they picked up for nothing.

Ohayou
11-27-2011, 03:58 PM
A 23 year old with less than 2 seasons of experience is a bust. You learn something new every day!

Oxilon
11-27-2011, 04:00 PM
A 23 year old with less than 2 seasons of experience is a bust. You learn something new every day!

Well, how has Mays lived up to his draft position?

Stray
11-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Apparently Mays is picking up the defense in practice. He has the raw ability, so if he learns to play in a system he could be a great pick up.

But yeah, our secondary is pretty weak.

dougdirt
11-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Apparently Mays is picking up the defense in practice. He has the raw ability, so if he learns to play in a system he could be a great pick up.

But yeah, our secondary is pretty weak.
Actually, scouting reports have been saying for over a year now that he simply doesn't have the raw ability that he was thought to have. He has good speed in one direction, but he only runs well one way.

Joseph
11-27-2011, 04:05 PM
And McCoy is allowed to run like a gazelle.

5TimeWSChamps
11-27-2011, 04:06 PM
This is awful

dougdirt
11-27-2011, 04:08 PM
This is awful

It seems pretty fitting given how my sports weekend has gone....

Stray
11-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Actually, scouting reports have been saying for over a year now that he simply doesn't have the raw ability that he was thought to have. He has good speed in one direction, but he only runs well one way.

I would say he still has way more athletic ability than most safties, but he probably doesn't have that out of this world talent that made him the high draft pick. Luckily we weren't the team who used that draft pick, and we basically got him for nothing...any production would be gravy.

Ohayou
11-27-2011, 04:19 PM
I would say he still has way more athletic ability than most safties, but he probably doesn't have that out of this world talent that made him the high draft pick. Luckily we weren't the team who used that draft pick, and we basically got him for nothing...any production would be gravy.

And the Bengals got Reggie Nelson in return for David Jones. Another steal.

To all the ignoramuses, Mays injured his hammy at the end of the preseason. That's why you haven't seen much of him.

Stray
11-27-2011, 04:40 PM
I wonder what the Browns plan to do at QB for the future. It's his 2nd year and McCoy hasn't exactly taken big strides forward or anything.

Ohayou
11-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Atkins has been in beast mode all season long.

dougdirt
11-27-2011, 04:50 PM

To all the ignoramuses, Mays injured his hammy at the end of the preseason. That's why you haven't seen much of him.

Whoa there.... no need for the attacks.

We haven't seen much of Mays and were able to acquire Mays for next to nothing because he simply isn't all that good.

CTA513
11-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Bengals go up 23-20 with 38 seconds left

Stray
11-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Loving this team. How bout Dalton in the clutch?!

Yachtzee
11-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Nice pulling out the win. I wasn't terribly impressed with the play on the lines, but they made big plays when they needed them. Having Green back was big.

Joseph
11-27-2011, 05:20 PM
nice to win.

OUReds
11-27-2011, 05:25 PM
The announcers kept harping on the drops by the Cleveland receivers, but McCoy isn't exactly laying in easy to catch balls. He has to share some of the blame from what I saw.

Oxilon
11-27-2011, 05:25 PM

Mays has been playing ST. Pretty well, IIRC. He's just not playing safety because he's not the better player.

KoryMac5
11-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Good win, nice to have AJ Green back as he athleticism can do pretty wonderful things for a young QB. The defense does seem to miss Leon Hall and Dunlap though. Andre Smith was brutal today from the reports I read.

dougdirt
11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
The announcers kept harping on the drops by the Cleveland receivers, but McCoy isn't exactly laying in easy to catch balls. He has to share some of the blame from what I saw.

On some of them, absolutely. But take Clevelands last drive for example, that drop by Little was 100% on him. McCoy put the ball right there on the numbers and he flat out dropped it.

OUReds
11-27-2011, 05:38 PM
On some of them, absolutely. But take Clevelands last drive for example, that drop by Little was 100% on him. McCoy put the ball right there on the numbers and he flat out dropped it.

Absolutely the receivers aren't good, but on the second down play (I think) on the final drive Colt throws the ball right at the guy's shoes along the sidelines. From what I've seen from Colt he sure isn't going to be part of the solution.

Mario-Rijo
11-27-2011, 05:48 PM

Exactly and how people don't get that being well below average in lateral quickness results in the inability to cover in the open field especially in the NFL where a foot is alot of space to give up is beyond me. Taylor Mays might eventually become a nice 2 down LB for someone but I hardly doubt he ever is a legit decent safety and by decent I mean Chris Crocker not Troy Polamalu.

Nelson OTOH is an excellent talent and has gotten to be a pretty solid pick up for us, just a shade undisciplined at times. If he cleans that up he'll be a difference maker in the secondary for us. Crocker is replaceable but has done an admirable job because he is crafty and not especially quick or fast.

Hopefully CB and Safety are 2 positions given alot of consideration with one of those 2 1st rounders next draft.

Ohayou
11-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Yell bust all you want about Mays, but the guy has freakish size and speed for his position. I'm excited about his future, whether it be at safety, linebacker, whatever.

Mays has been playing ST. Pretty well, IIRC. He's just not playing safety because he's not the better player.

I'm aware of that. He's still learning Zimmer's defense.

Awesome job by Benson today, BTW. Hopefully he plays at that level the rest of the way.

Ohayou
11-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Did anyone catch Simpson's flop today? Just pure comedy gold...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82483f5e/article/yes-that-was-jerome-simpson-with-an-awesomely-bad-flop?module=HP11_headline_stack

bucksfan2
11-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Yell bust all you want about Mays, but the guy has freakish size and speed for his position. I'm excited about his future, whether it be at safety, linebacker, whatever.

I'm aware of that. He's still learning Zimmer's defense.

Awesome job by Benson today, BTW. Hopefully he plays at that level the rest of the way.

You don't make it to the NFL without being a freak. I remember when they drafted Andre Caldwell some said you just can't pass up that size speed ratio in the 3rd round. A guy like Jermaine Gresham is a feak with his size and speed. Those guys so far have been nice players, hardly world beaters. Taylor Mays has great athletic ability but stuff like the ability to cut and come in and out of breaks means more than freakish speed.

Even if Mays is nothing but a quality special teams player it was well worth a late draft pick. You build quality teams by having quality guys all over the roster. I am hopeful that Mays can turn into a good NFL S, but I think the jury is still out on that one. If anything you won't see much out of him until 2012, as a starter that is.

Ohayou
11-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Receivers are a dime a dozen.

I'm done arguing about Mays. Until he actually starts, don't bother telling me what he can and cannot do.

izzy's dad
11-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Taylor Mays and Robert Sands are super athletes... not super football players. C.J. Spiller is a freak athlete, but is a complete bum on the football field.

This team needs a difference maker in the secondary, Reggie Nelson is pretty close, but game changer he is not. The Defensive line has two game changers in Dunlap, and Atkins, the linebackers are solid, but our secondary has been poor at best. With Leon Hall and without.

All of that negativity aside, I am pumped about the next decade with Dunlap, Atkins, Green, and Dalton. The Bengals can do some real damage come April with two first round picks and a second round pick. I would love to have a corner/safety, and Lamar Miller (running back out of the University of Miami) in the first, and a guard to replace the human turnstile Livings in the second. Most mocks I have seen, have us taking Janoris Jenkins and Lamar Miller in the first and Cordy Glenn in the second. I'll take that.

Todd Gack
11-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Taylor Mays and Robert Sands are super athletes... not super football players. C.J. Spiller is a freak athlete, but is a complete bum on the football field.

This team needs a difference maker in the secondary, Reggie Nelson is pretty close, but game changer he is not. The Defensive line has two game changers in Dunlap, and Atkins, the linebackers are solid, but our secondary has been poor at best. With Leon Hall and without.

All of that negativity aside, I am pumped about the next decade with Dunlap, Atkins, Green, and Dalton. The Bengals can do some real damage come April with two first round picks and a second round pick. I would love to have a corner/safety, and Lamar Miller (running back out of the University of Miami) in the first, and a guard to replace the human turnstile Livings in the second. Most mocks I have seen, have us taking Janoris Jenkins and Lamar Miller in the first and Cordy Glenn in the second. I'll take that.

1). Reggie Nelson still gives up dumb plays most games. He was cut by Jacksonville for a reason and he'll never be accused of being an intelligent guy.

2). Lamar Miller isn't coming out and if he does, then it'll be a huge mistake to draft him in the first or second round. He's soft and injury prone. not exactly a set of attributes you want out of a RB.

Todd Gack
11-27-2011, 09:36 PM

I'm done arguing about Mays. Until he actually starts, don't bother telling me what he can and cannot do.

You'll be waiting a while unless someone gets injured. then we'll find out real quick just how much of a liability he is in the secondary.

Ohayou
11-27-2011, 09:39 PM
If only Dunlap could stay healthy for a full season...

izzy's dad
11-27-2011, 10:09 PM
I agree that Nelson has been guilty of some head scratchers, and is out of position too often, but he has been the only guy we have been able to count on to make a play in the secondary. I wasn't saying he is elite, only that he is our best playmaker.

If Lamar Miller isn't a good idea, what about Monte Ball? Either way we need a running back, I really don't see Benson on this team next year. What would you go with?

dougdirt
11-27-2011, 10:31 PM

He has been in the NFL for two seasons. He has played in 20 games. He hasn't started since week 10 of last season, but has played in most games since then. I think that both teams he has played for, as well as the scouts who talked about his inability to run laterally, know a lot more than we as fans do. If he were that good, he would be on the field a lot more often than he is.

Todd Gack
11-27-2011, 10:48 PM
I agree that Nelson has been guilty of some head scratchers, and is out of position too often, but he has been the only guy we have been able to count on to make a play in the secondary. I wasn't saying he is elite, only that he is our best playmaker.

If Lamar Miller isn't a good idea, what about Monte Ball? Either way we need a running back, I really don't see Benson on this team next year. What would you go with?

I've always liked Cyrus Gray at TAMU, but I'm now sure how he transitions to the NFL. I haven't look at any mocks so I don't know where or who anyone is projecting to be Top 10 picks outside of the QB's.

izzy's dad
11-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Try Walterfootball.com. They have the first three rounds, and they update it every week. Although I have seen them make some pretty weird predictions at times. I get all sorts of geeked up for the draft, and with two picks on the first night I will be off the wall excited.

The Bengals have their QB, WR although I would like them to add some depth, defensive line is superb, but our secondary needs help in the worst sort of way. An uprade at either guard spot is priority too. Our running back situation isn't horrible, but I would trade our earliest first rounder and our second rounder, possibly more to land Trent Richardson. Won't happen, but it is a nice thought.

GAC
11-28-2011, 06:14 AM
I wonder what the Browns plan to do at QB for the future. It's his 2nd year and McCoy hasn't exactly taken big strides forward or anything.

They have to give him the weapons. He's thrown for almost 2,200 yds this year so far (200 yds/game), and done so with mediocre receivers and really no down field threat. Massaquoi has been hurt, in and out, and after that who do we have at WR other then rookie Little (who I think is gonna be a good one)?

The biggest thing that has hurt this team this year - and I didn't expect much with a new head coach, coaching staff, and trying to implement a new offensive scheme - has been injuries. We lost two starters on the O-line almost right off the bat. That hurts. Not only have they not been able to give McCoy protection, but it has badly hampered the running game to the point that our #1 and #2 RBs also got hurt. We just got Hillis back yesterday. He's gone at season's end IMO. I certainly hope they don't give him a huge contract. His being out 6 games with injury could hamper that though.

The only good thing with this team this year, which is playing a lot of youngsters, has been the defense.

It's going to be an interesting draft this year for the Browns. But I certainly can't fault McCoy, looking at what he has had to work with this year.

But it has been fun watching the Bengals.

RiverRat13
11-28-2011, 09:53 AM
They have to give him the weapons. He's thrown for almost 2,200 yds this year so far (200 yds/game), and done so with mediocre receivers and really no down field threat. Massaquoi has been hurt, in and out, and after that who do we have at WR other then rookie Little (who I think is gonna be a good one)?

I'm not sold on McCoy, but as you said, I don't know how any determination could be made about him with how little of a supporting cast he's been given. The Browns need some playmakers on offense. I know everyone loves a good trade-down in the draft, but I think they would have been better off taking Jones than making the trade with Atlanta because they have McCoy as the starting QB. If the Browns knew one way or the other about Colt, I'd understand trading down. But to me it looks like a mistake as they'll have to make an uninformed decision about him this offseason.

Benihana
11-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Try Walterfootball.com. They have the first three rounds, and they update it every week. Although I have seen them make some pretty weird predictions at times. I get all sorts of geeked up for the draft, and with two picks on the first night I will be off the wall excited.

The Bengals have their QB, WR although I would like them to add some depth, defensive line is superb, but our secondary needs help in the worst sort of way. An uprade at either guard spot is priority too. Our running back situation isn't horrible, but I would trade our earliest first rounder and our second rounder, possibly more to land Trent Richardson. Won't happen, but it is a nice thought.

I'd suggest these sites:

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft (updated every week and usually very accurate)

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php (updated once a month)

bucksfan2
11-28-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm not sold on McCoy, but as you said, I don't know how any determination could be made about him with how little of a supporting cast he's been given. The Browns need some playmakers on offense. I know everyone loves a good trade-down in the draft, but I think they would have been better off taking Jones than making the trade with Atlanta because they have McCoy as the starting QB. If the Browns knew one way or the other about Colt, I'd understand trading down. But to me it looks like a mistake as they'll have to make an uninformed decision about him this offseason.

The trade down strategy made a whole lot of sense before everyone wanted to do it. The problem with trading down is you miss out on some of the best talent out there. It always sounds good in principle, but its more difficult to execute than it used to be. Heck just this past draft I wanted the Bengals to trade out of the 4 slot so they could draft Dalton late in the 1st round. Never in my wildest dreams did I think Green would be this good.

Cleveland has been lacking in talent for quite a while now. They just don't have the skill players required at the NFL level. When I see Cleveland play they play hard, play tough, but in the end they lose out because of the difference in talent.

traderumor
11-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Did anyone catch Simpson's flop today? Just pure comedy gold...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82483f5e/article/yes-that-was-jerome-simpson-with-an-awesomely-bad-flop?module=HP11_headline_stack:lol: I saw the push, did not see the flop. That is simply hilarious. I smell some kind of ESPY for that.

traderumor
11-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I haven't gotten to watch too many complete games this year, but did this one. From the opening drive, I smelled upset special. Not sure what they were doing differently than expected in the first half, but it had to be something as they were beating us on the line on both sides of the ball. And Gruden was channeling Brat down on the goal line.

But then, as has turned into a trend, the Bengals adjusted in the second half and dominated to bring home the win. The Oline started keeping the Dline out of the backfield, the D held the Browns to a FG, started getting sacks and hits on McCoy, and the tide turned.

TeamSelig
11-28-2011, 01:49 PM
:lol: I saw the push, did not see the flop. That is simply hilarious. I smell some kind of ESPY for that.

Wow, that is hilarious :lol:

bucksfan2
11-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I haven't gotten to watch too many complete games this year, but did this one. From the opening drive, I smelled upset special. Not sure what they were doing differently than expected in the first half, but it had to be something as they were beating us on the line on both sides of the ball. And Gruden was channeling Brat down on the goal line.

But then, as has turned into a trend, the Bengals adjusted in the second half and dominated to bring home the win. The Oline started keeping the Dline out of the backfield, the D held the Browns to a FG, started getting sacks and hits on McCoy, and the tide turned.

Apparently you haven't watched many of the Bengals games this season. Gruden has been fantastic (yes I used that term) with his halftime adjustments. And the DLine gets better as the game goes along because Zimmer has been using an 8 man rotation when they are all healthy.

If there is any complaint about this team is they take a while to get into the flow of the game. They find themselves behind in a lot of games with a hole to come out of. With both Pittsburgh and Baltimore they just ran out of time.

traderumor
11-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Apparently you haven't watched many of the Bengals games this season. Gruden has been fantastic (yes I used that term) with his halftime adjustments. And the DLine gets better as the game goes along because Zimmer has been using an 8 man rotation when they are all healthy.

If there is any complaint about this team is they take a while to get into the flow of the game. They find themselves behind in a lot of games with a hole to come out of. With both Pittsburgh and Baltimore they just ran out of time.I think you might have misread what I said. I said exactly what you said in the first paragraph about the second half. I said "as has been the trend," which has been struggle 1st half, adjust and dominate the 2nd half. The 1st half was simply butt ugly by the Bengals. Fail to score from 1st and 5, give up 17 first half points, let Hillis run through gaping holes, unblocked defenders in the backfield on half a dozen plays...

forfreelin04
11-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Wow, that is hilarious :lol:

I was on the 20 yard line about 7 rows up. I laughed at it so hard that I didn't even care about the fumble lost.

Ohayou
11-29-2011, 12:07 AM
OK, so WHY is Jimmy Graham's MNF catch ruled a TD but not Jermaine Gresham's from two weeks ago? :thumbdown:

Edit: Nvm. Apparently Graham was a few steps outside the end zone. Zzz...

Ohayou
12-04-2011, 02:55 PM
What is Tate doing? Take the knee...

KoryMac5
12-04-2011, 02:58 PM
21-0 game already out of reach. Time to regroup and get healthy.

Joseph
12-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Maybe we aren't ready to compete with the Steel Curtain just yet eh?

KoryMac5
12-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Once that TD got called back for a false start on Green this team was done.

dougdirt
12-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I hate being a Cincinnati sports fan.

KoryMac5
12-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Gut check time for Dalton here. What can he do with this team when they are getting pummeled in ready to throw in the towel.

KoryMac5
12-04-2011, 03:13 PM
No quit in Dalton and Green TD Bengals. D needs to step up!

Ohayou
12-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Mays sighting.

MWM
12-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Bengals need a new kick returner.

KoryMac5
12-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Punt return TD nice block in the back on the replay by the Steelers. 28-7, just not our day folks.

traderumor
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Punt return TD nice block in the back on the replay by the Steelers. 28-7, just not our day folks.I waited, waited, waited for the flag. Where's the flag? And the PI was cheesy too. So, thanks to two big calls, this looks like a blowout. Gotta love the old NFL. Oh, and guys on both sides, please quit posing and play football.

reds1869
12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I waited, waited, waited for the flag. Where's the flag? And the PI was cheesy too. So, thanks to two big calls, this looks like a blowout. Gotta love the old NFL.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MWM
12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
How in the hell was that not a block in the back? That was even worse than that pathetic pass interference call. Steelers are one of those teams that always seem to get the benefit of favorable officiating.

gonelong
12-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm not one to complain much about officiating, but that was an easy block in the back call, out in the open for all to see. Dang.

GL

Stray
12-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Just way too many mistakes. That block in the back that wasn't called gave em 7 points, but we didn't have anyone else in the area to make the tackle anyway.

Sea Ray
12-04-2011, 03:41 PM
The only way we were going to be able to compete in this game is if we got some breaks. Instead just the opposite's happening. My question here is when do we get breaks like obvious clipping not being called? In fact, watch the tape. In the first qtr we got called for a clip on a nice punt return and we barely touched the guy.

We did not play well but if that half was evenly officiated, it'd still be a game now

KoryMac5
12-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Need a TD right off the bat to start the 2nd half. The Defense is really missing Sims, Dunlap, and Clements.

Joseph
12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
There's a flag about a half hour too late.

KoryMac5
12-04-2011, 04:01 PM
O line has been awful today including Whit.

CTA513
12-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Steelers stomping the Bengals 35-7

Stray
12-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Haha a face mask penalty and he never touched his face. Not that it matters, we're getting whipped everywhere.

top6
12-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Haha a face mask penalty and he never touched his face. Not that it matters, we're getting whipped everywhere.

Then they IMMEDIATELY call a meaningless holding penalty on the Steelers, which was borderline, even though they've been blatantly pulling down our D-linemen all game with no calls (including on one of the TDs).

MWM
12-04-2011, 04:13 PM
A heavy dose of reality for Bengals fans. This team is not ready to be seriously considered contenders. In the last 4 weeks, they've lost all 3 games against good teams, and barely squeaked out a victory against a bad one. They still have a lot of things to fix before they can be considered a legit contender. Unfortunately, the person responsible for getting them over the hump has about as much chance of figuring it out at his age as hell freezing over. Ah well, at least this feels right.

Stray
12-04-2011, 04:16 PM
I don't really know about reality. Pittsburgh was in the Superbowl last year and appears to be peaking at the right time this year. We're getting beat by a great team.

We're still a good team that is heading in the right direction. I won't take much from this game other than the fact that we weren't ready to play and it wouldn't have mattered if we were.

Stray
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
So yeah, we are gonna have to beat Arizona, St. Louis, and Houston.

That gets us to 10, and then lets hope the Broncos can't post 10. That gets us in.

top6
12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Exactly. The Steelers and Ravens are possibly the 2 best teams in the AFC, and probably among the top 5 teams in the NFL. All these losses mean is that the Bengals are not that good, but they still have a pretty good chance to be a wildcard team.

And this really is one of the worst called games I've ever seen. It should really be a lot closer. I hardly ever blame the refs, but this is absurd.

MWM
12-04-2011, 04:26 PM
The Ravens and Steelers are not undefeated, even the best teams lose games. If you want to be considered as a legit playoff team, you ought to be able to win 1 out of 3 games against the teams ahead of you.

top6
12-04-2011, 04:26 PM
So yeah, we are gonna have to beat Arizona, St. Louis, and Houston.

That gets us to 10, and then lets hope the Broncos can't post 10. That gets us in.

Keep in mind, they could lose one of those games and beat Baltimore to get to 10. First, Baltimore is not beatable on the road. Second, they could very well have they division/playoffs wrapped up by then, so they may not eve be trying to win.

Of course, the fact that this team can't really practice in December doesn't really help them win these late-season games.

Stray
12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Keep in mind, they could lose one of those games and beat Baltimore to get to 10. First, Baltimore is not beatable on the road. Second, they could very well have they division/playoffs wrapped up by then, so they may not eve be trying to win.

Of course, the fact that this team can't really practice in December doesn't really help them win these late-season games.

Yeah I really think 10 is the magic number. What's more troubling to me is that our defense has so many injuries they aren't even close to what they were earlier in the year.

top6
12-04-2011, 04:28 PM
The Ravens and Steelers are not undefeated, even the best teams lose games. If you want to be considered as a legit playoff team, you ought to be able to win 1 out of 3 games against the teams ahead of you.

Who cares if they are considered a "legit" playoff team if they make the playoffs?

This wasn't that big of a game. The next 4 games are, as the simply have to win 3 of them.

Stray
12-04-2011, 04:28 PM

Haha I guess that kinda stuff doesn't matter to me. I don't care if people think we're legit or not, I just want to get into the playoffs. Whether we mow everyone down or back our way in makes no difference to me at all.

CTA513
12-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Dalton benched

Stray
12-04-2011, 04:31 PM
No reason to let him take anymore hits in this game. I'd be mad if we left him out there.

KoryMac5
12-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Good move for safety reasons, as Dalton was about to get killed.

Stray
12-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Denver is down one point against Minnesota and Washington is tied with the Jets.

Let's be real here, the teams we're going to be competing against for that final WC spot aren't exactly dream teams.

KoryMac5
12-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Bengals getting into the playoffs might actually put some heat on Cast and Walt to do something.

Stray
12-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Looking like Denver and the JEts are both going to win.

Ohayou
12-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Denver's defen -- I mean Tebow -- wins it again!

KoryMac5
12-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Bengals need to win 3 of there next 4. Houston, St Louis, Arizona, and Baltimore are their opponents with 3 0f these games at home. I can see going 2-2 with losses to Houston and Baltimore but I have a feeling 10 wins gets them into the playoffs.

RiverRat13
12-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Bengals need to win 3 of there next 4. Houston, St Louis, Arizona, and Baltimore are their opponents with 3 0f these games at home. I can see going 2-2 with losses to Houston and Baltimore but I have a feeling 10 wins gets them into the playoffs.

I agree... 10 gets them in.

Ohayou
12-04-2011, 08:24 PM
At least 3 of our last 4 are at home. Wait, that means more blackouts...

:(

Sea Ray
12-04-2011, 11:32 PM
A heavy dose of reality for Bengals fans. This team is not ready to be seriously considered contenders. In the last 4 weeks, they've lost all 3 games against good teams, and barely squeaked out a victory against a bad one. They still have a lot of things to fix before they can be considered a legit contender. Unfortunately, the person responsible for getting them over the hump has about as much chance of figuring it out at his age as hell freezing over. Ah well, at least this feels right.

They're not on the Steelers level but if by contenders you mean playoffs then the standard is a little different. They merely need to be at the Broncos or Jets level and I'd say they are

cincrazy
12-04-2011, 11:42 PM

To be fair, they've lost their top 2 cornerbacks, their best defensive lineman, and their best offensive player for a stretch. Yes, they've struggled. How could you expect them not to? They've run up against two of the five best teams in football, with two of the three games being on the road.

It's certainly disappointing. But the season isn't over yet.

cincrazy
12-04-2011, 11:42 PM
This team has overachieved and surpassed our expectations all year. I don't think that it's fair to start piling on when they hit some adversity. They're not on the Ravens and the Steelers level. I think most of us knew that going into this stretch.

Redhook
12-05-2011, 08:30 AM
To be fair, they've lost their top 2 cornerbacks, their best defensive lineman, and their best offensive player for a stretch. Yes, they've struggled. How could you expect them not to? They've run up against two of the five best teams in football, with two of the three games being on the road.

It's certainly disappointing. But the season isn't over yet.

Good post. That being said, they must bounce back and beat Houston this week. If they don't, they'll need to beat St. Louis and Arizona then hope that the Baltimore game means nothing for Baltimore so they rest some starters.

hebroncougar
12-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Good post. That being said, they must bounce back and beat Houston this week. If they don't, they'll need to beat St. Louis and Arizona then hope that the Baltimore game means nothing for Baltimore so they rest some starters.

That's it in a nutshell. Most teams in the NFL lay an egg or two throughout the year. Three plays killed the Bengals yesterday, the penalty on their TD, the punt return for a TD, and the fumbled KO. Flush the game down the toilet, and find a way to win 3 of their last 4. In the playoffs, anything can happen. But you have to be there.

bucksfan2
12-05-2011, 09:25 AM
That's it in a nutshell. Most teams in the NFL lay an egg or two throughout the year. Three plays killed the Bengals yesterday, the penalty on their TD, the punt return for a TD, and the fumbled KO. Flush the game down the toilet, and find a way to win 3 of their last 4. In the playoffs, anything can happen. But you have to be there.

Its absolutely amazing that a few plays can determine the game when then end score is a blowout. Heck if the block in the back gets called I doubt Pitt scores before half time. The Bengals go in down 14 getting the ball at half. The entire dynamic of the game changes.

traderumor
12-05-2011, 10:28 AM
A heavy dose of reality for Bengals fans. This team is not ready to be seriously considered contenders. In the last 4 weeks, they've lost all 3 games against good teams, and barely squeaked out a victory against a bad one. They still have a lot of things to fix before they can be considered a legit contender. Unfortunately, the person responsible for getting them over the hump has about as much chance of figuring it out at his age as hell freezing over. Ah well, at least this feels right.I don't think this is fair at all. It isn't about "not ready for prime time," this was a Murphy's law game. They were within reach of beating the Steelers (whom my loathing grows with every game I watch them play, man what a bunch of arrogant jerks) at home, came within a misinterpreted review of beating the Ravens at their place. Yesterday was one you just forget about and move on. This game was an outlier of the play demonstrated the rest of the season. Making such a conclusion is just so much "I told you so" after a bad game. Talk about kicking while someone's down.

HotCorner
12-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Looks like the Bengals could get a huge break ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/05/texans-owner-hopes-andre-johnson-is-back-in-a-couple-of-weeks/

Hopefully they can take advantage of it.

cincrazy
12-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Even if the Texans don't have Andre, it's going to be a tough matchup. Their D is as legit as it gets. And they have two stud running backs. But clearly right now our weakness is in the secondary on defense, so it certainly helps matters. I think it will be a close game either way.

Joseph
12-06-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't think this is fair at all. It isn't about "not ready for prime time," this was a Murphy's law game. They were within reach of beating the Steelers (whom my loathing grows with every game I watch them play, man what a bunch of arrogant jerks) at home, came within a misinterpreted review of beating the Ravens at their place. Yesterday was one you just forget about and move on. This game was an outlier of the play demonstrated the rest of the season. Making such a conclusion is just so much "I told you so" after a bad game. Talk about kicking while someone's down.

I disagree. Its not viewing this team through 'hope' colored glasses. We are so beaten down by this franchise over the last few decades now that its just hard to feel like anything has changed. Yet week after week, season after season....we get the 'gosh, if this had happened' or 'damn we were so close'. Why is it when anyone is realistic is it unfair?