PDA

View Full Version : Roy Oswalt

alett12
11-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Sean Casey likes the idea of the reds bringing him in on a one year deal personally i think it is nuts because of the rotation he said the reds would have because well it doesnt make sense.
Casey's Rotation
1.Cueto
2.Oswalt
3.Volquez
4.Arroyo
5.Chapman
My first question is, WHERE is Mike Leake? He was your second best starting pitcher last year behind Cueto and would slide in perfectly if you bump out arroyo.
My second question, as much as i want him in the pen, Where is Homer Bailey? No question he was the 3rd guy even with the injury issues lst year i don't see him not being in the rotation to start the year unless he is hurt
here is my rotation if the reds sign oswalt
1.Cueto
2.Leake
3.Bailey
4.Chapman
5.Oswalt

goreds2
11-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Sean Casey likes the idea of the reds bringing him in on a one year deal personally i think it is nuts because of the rotation he said the reds would have because well it doesnt make sense.
Casey's Rotation
1.Cueto
2.Oswalt
3.Volquez
4.Arroyo
5.Chapman
My first question is, WHERE is Mike Leake? He was your second best starting pitcher last year behind Cueto and would slide in perfectly if you bump out arroyo.
My second question, as much as i want him in the pen, Where is Homer Bailey? No question he was the 3rd guy even with the injury issues lst year i don't see him not being in the rotation to start the year unless he is hurt
here is my rotation if the reds sign oswalt
1.Cueto
2.Leake
3.Bailey
4.Chapman
5.Oswalt

As MLB Network said, Oswalt would need to skip a start once in awhile due to his back issue. The number 5 spot would suffice.

texasdave
11-16-2011, 01:18 PM
1.Cueto - Started and finished the year with shoulder problems.
2.Leake
3.Bailey - Two stints on the DL in 2011.
4.Chapman - Who knows if he can even be a starter?
5.Oswalt - Back problems almost a given going into the season.

Miracles happen and everything might fall into place. But four of the five starters have question marks going into a season? I will pass.

Uncle Charlie
11-16-2011, 01:21 PM
I'd like to know on what planet Sean Casey is currently on where he thinks Oswalt is only get a 1-year deal. Back problems or no, some big market club will pony up at least 2 years to bring him in as a #3 or #4.

LegallyMinded
11-16-2011, 01:42 PM
I'd like to know on what planet Sean Casey is currently on where he thinks Oswalt is only get a 1-year deal. Back problems or no, some big market club will pony up at least 2 years to bring him in as a #3 or #4.

I agree, and Oswalt himself is looking for (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/roy-oswalt-seeks-multiyear-deal-.html) a multi-year deal as well. Especially given the relatively thin FA pitching market this year, I expect he does get multiple years, and I hope the Reds aren't involved. There are enough rotation issues on the team without adding a high-priced 34-year old with injury problems

HalKing
11-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Oswalt will be either in the Rangers or Cardinals rotation next year, and yes probably on at least a two year deal. No way in hell he signs with the Reds. The Reds are too cheap and our ballpark sucks. No pitchers are going to choose the Reds and less money over some other team.

alett12
11-17-2011, 11:26 AM
1.Cueto - Started and finished the year with shoulder problems.
2.Leake
3.Bailey - Two stints on the DL in 2011.
4.Chapman - Who knows if he can even be a starter?
5.Oswalt - Back problems almost a given going into the season.

Miracles happen and everything might fall into place. But four of the five starters have question marks going into a season? I will pass.

I see no question marks on Cueto, bailey i can see as possibly being in the pen, chapman i'm not sure what to think exactly, but even if Bailey and chapman are out i think wood really deserves a shot this year to start an entire season but dusty would never start him over Bronson

texasdave
11-17-2011, 11:58 AM
I see no question marks on Cueto, bailey i can see as possibly being in the pen, chapman i'm not sure what to think exactly, but even if Bailey and chapman are out i think wood really deserves a shot this year to start an entire season but dusty would never start him over Bronson

Cueto started the year and ended the year unable to pitch and you see no question marks?

brad1176
11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Heisey, Grandal or Mes, Wood, Hamilton for David Price. Get on the phone, call Oswalt's agent and ask him what it will take to sign. The rotation:
1. Price
2. Cueto
3. Oswalt
4. Leake
5. Chapman/Arroyo/Bailey
If you go into a three game series with Price, Cueto, and Oswalt pitching, you expect to win that series. We have enough depth to give Oswalt a start here and there off to get him through the season.

HatchMo
11-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Heisey, Grandal or Mes, Wood, Hamilton for David Price. Get on the phone, call Oswalt's agent and ask him what it will take to sign. The rotation:
1. Price
2. Cueto
3. Oswalt
4. Leake
5. Chapman/Arroyo/Bailey
If you go into a three game series with Price, Cueto, and Oswalt pitching, you expect to win that series. We have enough depth to give Oswalt a start here and there off to get him through the season.

Doubtful either side would make that trade, for some reason walt thinks bham is gods gift to baseball.

brad1176
11-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Doubtful either side would make that trade, for some reason walt thinks bham is gods gift to baseball.

I agree with you on both points, but it's fun to dream....

JeremiahHorsley
11-19-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't see where any of you can predict a rotation without Arroyo in there. HES NOT GOING ANYWHERE! We can't just cut him and nobody is going to take on his contract. end of story people.

R_Webb18
11-20-2011, 01:19 AM
I don't see where any of you can predict a rotation without Arroyo in there. HES NOT GOING ANYWHERE! We can't just cut him and nobody is going to take on his contract. end of story people.

yes they would but you would get nothing + might have give something up. but we all know thats not going to happen.

dMaus14
11-20-2011, 01:37 AM
If I was Walt this offseason I do the following:

Sign Phillips to a 3 year / $36m with 2 option years (first one a player and 2nd a club)

Trade Sappelt, Wood to White Sox for Gavin Floyd (might try and up the ante to get Danks too, wouldnt be afraid to give Corcinco and Grandal on top of that to get both but would demand a sign and trade for both)

Trade Volquez, Masset to Boston for Jed Lowrie and Felix Doubront

The only time I look at the FA basket is if there is something I for sure can't get from trades

alett12
11-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Ok so bronson wont be traded but if he's clearly out pitched in spring training again there is something called a bullpen which he has pitched out of before. And just because cueto ended the year on the dl does not mean he is a question mark.