PDA

View Full Version : GMs ponder changes to Sept. callups

savafan
11-16-2011, 03:20 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111115&content_id=25981838&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

There's some talk among the clubs about ending the long-time practice that comes at the conclusion of the Minor League season, or at least curtailing it. Most clubs don't expand to 40 men, and the smaller-market teams, which prefer to carry fewer players, believe they are at a disadvantage to the larger-market clubs, which are more financially able to do so.

Other GMs argue that MLB plays with one set of rules all season and then changes those rules for the final and most important month.

UKFlounder
11-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I understand why they would want to change it and don't really disagree with it, but I also kind of like to see young guys get a shot.

Maybe that's because the Reds have usually been out of it in September and seeing new guys is something different.

I wonder if it helps/hurts pitching any, with emphasis on innings limits now.

RedsManRick
11-16-2011, 03:54 PM
I understand why they would want to change it and don't really disagree with it, but I also kind of like to see young guys get a shot.

Maybe that's because the Reds have usually been out of it in September and seeing new guys is something different.

I wonder if it helps/hurts pitching any, with emphasis on innings limits now.

I'd like to see it go to 30. Get some extra guys up there, but don't so drastically change the composition of rosters. I imagine most teams are in that 30 ballpark anyways.

Chip R
11-16-2011, 04:16 PM
I don't think they should end it but perhaps do it like they do in football and hockey where they have a set roster for their game but there are extra players that can be activated from game to game. If a manager thinks he needs a bit more pitching for a certain game, he can activate a pitcher for that game and inactivate a bench player.

blumj
11-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Which teams are too poor to pay a handful of minor leaguers the major league minimum for a few weeks? It's the AAAA guys who take the hit with something like this, not the hot young prospects.

Dan
11-16-2011, 04:42 PM
If they're changing that, then they should make september service time for any player making his debut after sept 1 not count toward the arbitration clock, either.

Brutus
11-16-2011, 06:48 PM
I'd prefer they start the season with 40 players and cut it down to 25 by May 1.

Vottomatic
11-16-2011, 07:18 PM
On a different note, I've felt for a long time they should expand rosters to 27 players.

Unassisted
11-16-2011, 07:33 PM
I'd prefer they start the season with 40 players and cut it down to 25 by May 1. I like the idea of giving young guys who have a hot March a shot w/the big club in April, but I suspect all of that downward movement in ml systems around May 1 wouldn't be popular with ml teams and managers.