PDA

View Full Version : Two additional wildcards coming up...

texasdave
11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/mlb-will-add-two-wild-card-teams.html

Commissioner Bud Selig announced that MLB will add two Wild Card teams -- one in each league -- for a total of ten playoff teams. Selig remains hopeful that the change will occur in 2012.
"People can be critical. I understand that," said Selig to reporters (including Danny Knobler of CBS Sports and MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince, both Twitter links). "It will be dramatic."

Great. Now the fifth-best team in each league will one day be raising a World Series banner. LOL. Why not make it so that any team with a .500 or better record qualifies? The more the merrier, right? Bud Selig is quite the kidder.

Since 1999 these teams would have been in the playoffs:

YEAR AL NL
1999 OAK-87 CIN-96
2000 CLE-90 LAD-86
2001 MIN-85 SFG-90
2002 BOS/SEA-93 LAD-92
2003 SEA-93 HOU-87
2004 OAK-91 SFG-91
2005 CLE-93 PHI-88
2006 CHW-90 PHI-85
2007 DET/SEA-88 SDP-89
2008 NYY-89 NYM-89
2009 TEX-87 SFG-88
2010 BOS-89 SDP-90
2011 BOS-90 ATL-89

AVE WINS 89.6 89.2

TEAMS BOS-3 ATL-1
CHW-1 CIN-1
CLE-2 HOU-1
DET-1 LAD-2
MIN-1 NYM-1
NYY-1 PHI-2
OAK-2 SDP-2
SEA-3 SFG-3
TEX-1

BY DIV ALC-5 NLC-2
ALE-4 NLE-4
ALW-6 NLW-7

R_Webb18
11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
i love it.

LegallyMinded
11-17-2011, 02:59 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/mlb-will-add-two-wild-card-teams.html

Great. Now the fifth-best team in each league will one day be raising a World Series banner. LOL. Why not make it so that any team with a .500 or better record qualifies? The more the merrier, right? Bud Selig is quite the kidder.

Depending on how they format the expanded playoffs, there's a chance that adding teams could make it more likely that the better team from the regular season advances. If the two wild card teams, for instance, have to play a one-game series that is immediately followed by the start of the next round, the non-wild card team would have a significant advantage in terms of setting up its rotation for the best chance of success.

Eventually, yes, the 5th best team is going to win the WS, but we've already seen teams like the 2006 Cardinals win the WS, so I'm not too concerned about the change, especially if they do adopt a format that favors the division winners.

texasdave
11-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Depending on how they format the expanded playoffs, there's a chance that adding teams could make it more likely that the better team from the regular season advances. If the two wild card teams, for instance, have to play a one-game series that is immediately followed by the start of the next round, the non-wild card team would have a significant advantage in terms of setting up its rotation for the best chance of success.

Eventually, yes, the 5th best team is going to win the WS, but we've already seen teams like the 2006 Cardinals win the WS, so I'm not too concerned about the change, especially if they do adopt a format that favors the division winners.

It has devolved into a tournament. Nice. Let every team in. Hell, why not? The fifth-best team raises the banner. All that does is cheapen the banner. October madness. At least call it what it is. 2012 tournament champions.

krm1580
11-17-2011, 03:57 PM
If the extra wild card is a one game, winner take all I have no issue with it. I think it will actually improve the mess that exists now.

Consider this, in a one game winner takes all, you would most likely have to burn your ace to advance. That means the wild card winner would only be able to use their best pitcher once in a 5 game series in the LDS. I think that is a pretty good idea to give a leg up to a division winner over a wildcard team.

Of course having explained this I am sure Bud will do something stupid like make it a 5 game series.

texasdave
11-18-2011, 02:57 AM
Yes, it will be a great day when a team that finishes in the bottom half of its division raises that World Championship banner. Bud Selig is a freaking genius.

lidspinner
11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
I love it...it gives more teams fans a chance to have something to root for in August other than NFL training camps.....it might not go over well in the 1st few years but once people see that it brings more fans and more attention to the game of Baseball I think people will start to like it....face it people, Baseball has taken a back seat to Football, I dont like it but its the truth, we are no longer Americas favorite pastime...we need to get the fans and the game back to where it once was....if teams are still fighting for those last 2 spots in August and September then Sportscenter and other media outlets are going to flock to those games, and that is what this game needs, more attention in the later months....

LegallyMinded
11-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Yes, it will be a great day when a team that finishes in the bottom half of its division raises that World Championship banner. Bud Selig is a freaking genius.

Even if they finish in the bottom half of their division, they would still be in the top third of the league. I'm not sure how exactly you decide where the cutoff for the playoffs "should" be.

I mean, if you want to attach greater weight to the regular season, you could just do away with the playoffs altogether and proclaim the winner of the regular season the champion of the league-- that's how other organizations, like the English Premier League, operate, and people seem to accept that outcome. Would it be better to sacrifice the potential drama and excitement of the postseason to ensure the league champion is a better reflection of which team is actually best?

texasdave
11-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Since it seems as if baseball has determined that it is more important to keep more teams in the playoff chase than it is to determine the best team then do it right.

My plan:
1) Only the three division winners are assured of getting a spot in the playoffs.
2) Every other team gets one additional ping pong ball in the lottery for each additional win they have starting with 81.
3) The fourth and fifth slots are determined by lottery. How exciting is that!!??! I am pretty sure ESPN could make an hour-long show out of that scenario.

The benefits of this plan are obvious. Firstly, you place a tremendous amount of importance on winning the division because that is a team's only guaranteed way of making it in. Secondly, it will greatly increase the number of teams that will be in the hunt for a playoff position deep into the season. A team could be 75-81 entering the last week of the season and still have a chance. That should keep fans in many more cities coming to the ballpark. (The Reds played kids the last month and ended up with 79 wins. It is probable they could have squeezed out two more wins and qualified for the lottery.) It will keep teams playing hard until the end since more wins equal more ping pong balls equal a greater chance of a playoff berth for non-division winners.
The only drawback I see is that teams with lesser records may make it into the post-season over teams with more wins. But since it is weighted for wins one cannot say it unfair. And so what I say. The one-game playoff between the current fourth and fifth best teams is going to be a crap shoot anyway. And after reading these posts it obvious that keeping more teams in the chase for a longer period of time trumps that concern.

LegallyMinded
11-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Since it seems as if baseball has determined that it is more important to keep more teams in the playoff chase than it is to determine the best team then do it right.

My plan:
1) Only the three division winners are assured of getting a spot in the playoffs.
2) Every other team gets one additional ping pong ball in the lottery for each additional win they have starting with 81.
3) The fourth and fifth slots are determined by lottery. How exciting is that!!??! I am pretty sure ESPN could make an hour-long show out of that scenario.

The benefits of this plan are obvious. Firstly, you place a tremendous amount of importance on winning the division because that is a team's only guaranteed way of making it in. Secondly, it will greatly increase the number of teams that will be in the hunt for a playoff position deep into the season. A team could be 75-81 entering the last week of the season and still have a chance. That should keep fans in many more cities coming to the ballpark. (The Reds played kids the last month and ended up with 79 wins. It is probable they could have squeezed out two more wins and qualified for the lottery.) It will keep teams playing hard until the end since more wins equal more ping pong balls equal a greater chance of a playoff berth for non-division winners.
The only drawback I see is that teams with lesser records may make it into the post-season over teams with more wins. But since it is weighted for wins one cannot say it unfair. And so what I say. The one-game playoff between the current fourth and fifth best teams is going to be a crap shoot anyway. And after reading these posts it obvious that keeping more teams in the chase for a longer period of time trumps that concern.

This sounds like it would be a great deal of fun. Is it too late to get this in the new CBA?

Jr's Boy
11-18-2011, 03:23 PM
So I guess that means it will be snowing outside by the time of the World Series.

Cardinal_Fan
11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
I think it's hard to say that the division champs have clearly demonstrated they represent the best three. Do you seriously think that the Reds were better than the wildcard braves in 2010 (when they had identical records but one clearly played in a better division)? How about the 2009 Cardinals? The Cardinals had a worse record than the wildcard and again played it what appeared to be a weaker division.

These may not be the best examples and there are certainly others. But it's quite possible that the wildcard is a better team and has shown itself to be better throughout the season. You cannot compare the schedules of teams in different divisions, so you cannot say that they are the definitive top three.

Tuff Nut
11-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Lump all the teams in each league, into one division, then take the top 5 teams....other than that, this one game "playoff", is a joke.

RED59
11-21-2011, 09:31 AM
If you don't win your division, you should not be allowed in the playoffs. Otherwise, why bother playing 162 games.

texasdave
11-21-2011, 10:35 AM
If you don't win your division, you should not be allowed in the playoffs. Otherwise, why bother playing 162 games.

Amen.

Cardinal_Fan
11-21-2011, 10:48 AM
That's such an arbitrary standard though. It makes no sense. You play 162 games to determine the wildcard(s) no? And I'll repeat just so it's clear the 2009 Cardinals and 2010 Reds were WORSE than the wildcard.

The goal of any system should be to get the best teams into the playoffs.

texasdave
11-21-2011, 10:50 AM
That's such an arbitrary standard though. It makes no sense. You play 162 games to determine the wildcard(s) no? And I'll repeat just so it's clear the 2009 Cardinals and 2010 Reds were WORSE than the wildcard.

Then do away with divisions, balance the schedule and take the top two teams in each league. Because nobody can tell me the goal in baseball is to determine the best team at this point in time.

Cardinal_Fan
11-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I think that's probably the best way (and get rid of interleague play). Then everyone plays the same teams the same number of times. There are still some minor issues, but it's certainly better than the present system.

That said, if you have divisions...the wild card makes the system more fair by allowing good teams that happen to be in good divisions, a way into the playoffs. This year I think the central was an excellent division.

getfoul
11-21-2011, 09:21 PM

I agree, and I'll repeat what I wrote on the board months ago...

They should have moved the Diamondbacks to the AL to even the leagues by time zones--7 eastern, 4 central, 4 mountain/pacific

No divisions

Play four former division teams 11 games over 4 series
Play the other 10 teams 10 games over 3 series
Play 12 interleague games

156 games and 50 series in 25 weeks.

Season one week shorter, to allow the 4th and 5th best teams time to play a best-of-3 to face the 1-seed.

Then the rest of the postseason would be best-of-7 and still finish the World Series in October.

They could have done it, but money always win. So we're left with a system that doesn't necessarily reward the best teams over six months. And it certainly doesn't seed the playoff teams in the right order.

In the last 17 years, the postseason has added a level of randomness with a wildcard and a best-of-5 first round. This new wildcard is further adding to the randomness, which I don't think is good for the game.

texasdave
11-22-2011, 09:42 AM
I agree, and I'll repeat what I wrote on the board months ago...

They should have moved the Diamondbacks to the AL to even the leagues by time zones--7 eastern, 4 central, 4 mountain/pacific

No divisions

Play four former division teams 11 games over 4 series
Play the other 10 teams 10 games over 3 series
Play 12 interleague games

156 games and 50 series in 25 weeks.

Season one week shorter, to allow the 4th and 5th best teams time to play a best-of-3 to face the 1-seed.

Then the rest of the postseason would be best-of-7 and still finish the World Series in October.

They could have done it, but money always win. So we're left with a system that doesn't necessarily reward the best teams over six months. And it certainly doesn't seed the playoff teams in the right order.

In the last 17 years, the postseason has added a level of randomness with a wildcard and a best-of-5 first round. This new wildcard is further adding to the randomness, which I don't think is good for the game.

It is quickly approaching tournament status instead of playoff status.
And you are absolutely correct. Money trumps everything.

Hey Meat
11-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I like it. Bring it and the DH.