PDA

View Full Version : Baseball expands the playoffs

Reds Fanatic
11-17-2011, 04:39 PM
http://http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7246443/houston-astros-sale-approved-mlb (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7246443/houston-astros-sale-approved-mlb)

Baseball has announced starting at least by 2013 and possibly next year 2 extra wild card teams will be added to each league and will have an extra one game playoff.

I don't like this move. I thought the number of playoffs teams was perfect like it was.

mdccclxix
11-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I will side with Bud on this that it will be dramatic. I'll be upset if the Reds finish in the wild card and get bumped though.

TRF
11-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Not two each league, just two extra teams period, one in each league. then the now total of 2 wildcard teams play each other in a one game playoffs to see who moves on to the division series. makes winning the division much more important.

dfs
11-17-2011, 05:07 PM
....What I hear is that each league will have two wild card teams and those two teams will play each other in a one game playoff for the right to face the division champs.

I think it's a nose under the tent type more till they have a 5 game wildcard playin series followed by two 7 game series for the right to play in the 7 game league champ series that will decide who gets to play in the 7 game world series.

More baseball in November.

*BaseClogger*
11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
I like it!

Always Red
11-17-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm in favor of throwing Montreal and San Diego out of the league and going back to 1968.

It was much simpler then. NL champ plays AL champ.

Now get off my lawn.

AtomicDumpling
11-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Well they had to find a way to make 100% certain that the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs every single year.

Baseball looks more and more like the NBA every year.

I guess baseball likes having second place teams winning the championship. Now even third place teams can win the World Series! What a joke. Why play 162 games to determine who the best teams are if you are going to let 1/3 of the league into the playoffs anyway? It really diminishes the accomplishment of making the playoffs if it is so easy to do.

It used to be a great thrill to make the postseason. It meant you had a great season that you will always remember. Now making the playoffs will be humdrum because it was so easy and you still have a long way to go to win the championship.

Pennant races used to be thrilling over a period of several weeks because it was all on the line as two or more teams battled it out for a big chance to win a rare World Series. Now there will be no such thing as a pennant race. September games will be meaningless for the good teams. The only thing that will matter is watching to see which two mediocre teams will squeak their pathetic way into a bloated postseason tournament.

Maybe next they will add a 24 second "pitch clock" between pitches. Maybe they will add a commercial after every out is made. Maybe they will add advertising on helmets and uniforms. Maybe all scoring plays should be automatically reviewed in the booth. Maybe players should be fined for breaking up a double play or throwing a brushback pitch. Maybe they should add a 20 minute halftime in the 5th inning. Maybe they should invite every team to the postseason for a single-elimination "March Madness" style tournament instead of having playoff series. Maybe after a run is scored the runner can attempt an extra point home run derby style.

Brutus
11-17-2011, 05:58 PM
This is a GREAT move. This actually increases the importance of the regular season. The only complaint is that it's a 1-game series. I'd kind of like a best-of-3, but that's not a huge dealbreaker for me.

dfs
11-17-2011, 05:59 PM
I guess baseball likes having second place teams winning the championship. Now even third place teams can win the World Series! What a joke. Why play 162 games to determine who the best teams are if you are going to let 1/3 of the league into the playoffs anyway? It really diminishes the accomplishment of making the playoffs if it is so easy to do.

Thank you.

TRF
11-17-2011, 05:59 PM
trf slowly backs up off AD's lawn....

Hoosier Red
11-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Well they had to find a way to make 100% certain that the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs every single year.

Baseball looks more and more like the NBA every year.

It used to be a great thrill to make the postseason. It meant you had a great season that you will always remember. Now making the playoffs will be humdrum because it was so easy and you still have a long way to go to win the championship.

Pennant races used to be thrilling over a period of several weeks because it was all on the line as two or more teams battled it out for a big chance to win a rare World Series. Now there will be no such thing as a pennant race. September games will be meaningless for the good teams. The only thing that will matter is watching to see which two mediocre teams will squeak their pathetic way into a bloated postseason tournament.

Maybe next they will add a 24 second "pitch clock" between pitches. Maybe they will add a commercial after every out is made. Maybe they will add advertising on helmets and uniforms. Maybe all scoring plays should be automatically reviewed in the booth. Maybe players should be fined for breaking up a double play or throwing a brushback pitch. Maybe they should add a 20 minute halftime in the 5th inning. Maybe they should invite every team to the postseason for a single-elimination "March Madness" style tournament instead of having playoff series. Maybe after a run is scored the runner can attempt an extra point home run derby style.

I think it will be pretty odd for a 3rd place team to make it. I like it. Puts a premium on winning the division, and puts a premium on having the best record in the league. A cool extra twist would be to let the top team pick their opponent. That way a team doesn't have a motivation to lose and avoid the 2nd best team in the playoffs as some were suggesting was going on with this year.

AtomicDumpling
11-17-2011, 06:02 PM
trf slowly backs up off AD's lawn....

Wise move partner! :D

mdccclxix
11-17-2011, 06:03 PM

I must be half your age, because some of these ideas sound really awesome dude!!!!

Hoosier Red
11-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Actually to expand on my thought. This accomplishes two goals, increases the number of teams in the playoffs and decreases the chances that a wild card wins the World Series. While there will be two wild cards, in reality only one will proceed to the stage where one wild card team has always played. So whatever disadvantage exists from having to play a one game playoff, Baseball has added that disadvantage and given the wild card team no advantage to balance it out.

AtomicDumpling
11-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I think it will be pretty odd for a 3rd place team to make it. I like it. Puts a premium on winning the division, and puts a premium on having the best record in the league. A cool extra twist would be to let the top team pick their opponent. That way a team doesn't have a motivation to lose and avoid the 2nd best team in the playoffs as some were suggesting was going on with this year.

If they had this new system in place this season the Red Sox would have made the playoffs despite finishing in 3rd place.

mdccclxix
11-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Maybe they should invite every team to the postseason for a single-elimination "March Madness" style tournament instead of having playoff series.

Particularly this idea, I think, would be great for Spring Training. Have a Spring Training tourney.

Maybe after a run is scored the runner can attempt an extra point home run derby style.

This would be awesome if you got to do this after a grand slam, TACK ON ANOTHER ONE!!! hahahha

Captain Hook
11-17-2011, 06:10 PM
If they had this new system in place this season the Red Sox would have made the playoffs despite finishing in 3rd place.

....and the Reds wouldn't have given up midway through August.I like it!

mdccclxix
11-17-2011, 06:12 PM
....and the Reds wouldn't have given up midway through August.I like it!

Yeah, frankly, with the Cubs impending rise to competence, I'd rather not see a 92 win season, for example, end up by the boards. I like this play in game concept.

RANDY IN INDY
11-17-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm in favor of throwing Montreal and San Diego out of the league and going back to 1968.

It was much simpler then. NL champ plays AL champ.

Now get off my lawn.
:beerme:

Matt700wlw
11-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Currently baseball has fewer playoff teams than the other sports but play more games. I'm ok with this move.

Now, round one should be a best of 3 series...

RedsManRick
11-17-2011, 08:29 PM
While I don't like the idea that some 94 win AL East team will have to win a play-in game, I definitely like the idea of making winning your division a significant advantage.

It should be a great way to draw attention to the start of the playoffs for the more casual fans

RBA
11-17-2011, 08:29 PM
They could play most the world series games over the long Thanksgivings weekend.

Cedric
11-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Playoffs are the worst part of any sport.

So I hate this.

remdog
11-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm with AtomicDumpling:

Persoanlly, I don't care if the NBA plays at all and, basically, because they play a 82 game 'exhibition season' to play a few playoff games. Blah. To me this is MLB reducing themselves to the level of the NBA.

Rem

Captain Hook
11-17-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm with AtomicDumpling:

Persoanlly, I don't care if the NBA plays at all and, basically, because they play a 82 game 'exhibition season' to play a few playoff games. Blah. To me this is MLB reducing themselves to the level of the NBA.

Rem

Regular season games:NBA 82 MLB 162

Number of teams that qualify for the playoffs:NBA 16 MLB 10

Best of series in the 1st round of the playoffs:NBA 5 MLB 1

Best of series in the 2nd round of the playoffs:NBA 7 MLB 5

After that they both go to a best of 7 format but that's how it's been for a long time now.I'm now sure how this move by MLB makes them anymore like the NBA then they were before.

George Anderson
11-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Playoffs are the worst part of any sport.

So I hate this.

HUH??

Dats nutz!!! ;)

jojo
11-18-2011, 12:38 AM
I think they should play 162 games and then let everyone but Pittsburgh and Kansas city into the playoffs.

gilpdawg
11-18-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm with AtomicDumpling:

Rem

No offense, but isn't that a tad melodramatic? It's just 2 more teams. If they went to 14 or 16 I would agree with you.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

gilpdawg
11-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Regular season games:NBA 82 MLB 162

Number of teams that qualify for the playoffs:NBA 16 MLB 10

Best of series in the 1st round of the playoffs:NBA 5 MLB 1

Best of series in the 2nd round of the playoffs:NBA 7 MLB 5

After that they both go to a best of 7 format but that's how it's been for a long time now.I'm now sure how this move by MLB makes them anymore like the NBA then they were before.

First round series are best of 7 now in the NBA. Started about 5 or 6 years ago.

AtomicDumpling
11-18-2011, 02:41 AM
No offense, but isn't that a tad melodramatic? It's just 2 more teams. If they went to 14 or 16 I would agree with you.

Just two more teams this year yes, but the trend is apparent. There were only 4 teams in the playoffs the last time the Reds won the World Series. Now just a short time later we are already up to 10 teams. How far will they go?

Isn't the goal of a sports league to determine which team is the best? Isn't the reason for a 162 game season to make sure that the best teams rise to the top and earn their place in history? Why then would we allow teams that have proven themselves to be inferior to other teams to be crowned as World Series Champion?

Why should teams that barely win half their games be given the same title as great teams like the 1975-76 Big Red Machine Cincinnati Reds?

For a century MLB crowned the best team each year as champion, but now we give the glory to 85-win teams and teams that couldn't even win their own 5 team division. It is an insult to the great teams of baseball history to have their accomplishments matched by mediocre teams like some of the ones that have won the World Series in the last 10 years.

cincinnati chili
11-18-2011, 02:58 AM
I would be livid if they made division winners play 1-game playoffs, and I would prefer that the division serieses be best of seven with no off-days except for rain. But I'm not so troubled by the wild card teams having to win a 1-game playoff.

If you don't want to have to overcome a 1-game playoff, then just win your damn division.

Someone said that this will result in fewer wild cards reaching the world series. Not true - must be the new math.

RedFanAlways1966
11-18-2011, 08:04 AM
The baseball purist in me does not like it. The small market fan in me likes it.

dfs
11-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Just two more teams this year yes, but the trend is apparent. There were only 4 teams in the playoffs the last time the Reds won the World Series. Now just a short time later we are already up to 10 teams. How far will they go?

16 teams in the playoffs.
after the add two more teams to get two 16 team leagues.

I suspect it will take...5 years to get the extra two teams in the leagues and another 5 to expand the playoffs again.

They'll do it incrementally. First they'll expand the wildcard play-in to be 5 games.

_Sir_Charles_
11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
IMO, it's getting too close to the NBA playoffs where half the league makes it in. More is not always better....it's just more.

Personally, I'd like to see it go back to 2 divisions per league and 2 playoff teams per league. If you can't win your division...too bad, so sad.

remdog
11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
No offense, but isn't that a tad melodramatic?

No offense but the answer is 'NO!'

Rem

REDREAD
11-18-2011, 11:18 AM
I like this.

The one game playoff in 1999 where the Reds and Mets played was one of the most memorable games in my life, even though we lost.

Honestly, it might not be "fair" to have a one game playoff, but it's great marketing.. Part of the problem with the baseball playoffs is the casual fan can not be interested watching a 7 game series when he doesn't care about either team .. I only watch 10-20% of the non World Series playoff games now (when the Reds aren't in it). This is exciting. I would watch Boston-Tampa square off in a one game elimination.

Always Red
11-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Honestly, it might not be "fair" to have a one game playoff, but it's great marketing.. Part of the problem with the baseball playoffs is the casual fan can not be interested watching a 7 game series when he doesn't care about either team .. I only watch 10-20% of the non World Series playoff games now (when the Reds aren't in it). This is exciting. I would watch Boston-Tampa square off in a one game elimination.

I could give a hoot about marketing or what the casual fan may or may not want when it comes to baseball. I am a casual fan of other sports, and those gimmicks work to keep me slightly interested during the cold winter, but we're talking about baseball.

I got a kick out of the WS this year, and the media's angst over the low ratings that the games were getting. I loved the games, and really could care less what the national media or casual fan thinks.

This is a gimmick. The beauty of major league baseball and it's long season is that over 6 months, the best TEAM wins, and all men on the roster are used and valuable- and Tony LaRussa was a master of that. Now, with short series or even one game series, the premium will be placed on having the single best SP that you can.

It reeks to me of high school playoffs, with one game winner take all.

bucksfan2
11-18-2011, 12:09 PM
I like it and I don't like it. I like adding a team to the playoffs but I don't like the one game play-in. I think baseball sees something, likes it, then tries to replicate it. The unfortunate problem is you can't replicate it. What made the pennant race so great this past season is that over the last two weeks 4 teams were all in. They were playing every game as if it was a playoff game. They weren't able to rest their players, weren't able to gear up for the playoffs, they weren't able to set their rotation.

If a one game playoff between two teams happens the 162 game which was so exciting this past year means nothing. The Cars and Braves are resting their players gearing up for one game. The Rays and Red Sox do their best to get Lester and Price pitch the one game playoff instead of busting their tail over the last week of the season. They won't be able to replicate the drama that happened this past season. A true 7 game series where the best record gets home field advantage often results in the best team winning. Even a 5 game series is a crap shoot, a one game playoff is just luck.

Red Rover
11-18-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of the wild card anyway. Just go with 2 leagues and no divisions. 168 game season w/ 4 - 3game series against the other 14 teams in your league. Playoffs either top 2 or 4 teams in each league. No interleague until World Series.

blumj
11-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Everyone's going to hate this when a 96 win WC 1 team that fought tooth and nail to the last game trying to win their division and just missed by one game loses the WC game to an 88 win team that got to coast and line up their pitching for the WC game.

*BaseClogger*
11-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Everyone's going to hate this when a 96 win WC 1 team that fought tooth and nail to the last game trying to win their division and just missed by one game loses the WC game to an 88 win team that got to coast and line up their pitching for the WC game.

Shoulda won the division then... ;)