PDA

View Full Version : Matt Garza?

Dan
11-21-2011, 09:51 AM
MLBTR: (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cafardo-on--1.html)

Cubs GM Theo Epstein will listen to offers on Matt Garza and just about anyone on his team in order to replentish his farm system.

Thoughts? For me, seems like a few issues here. First, there's the whole intra-division trading that the Cubs (and/or Reds) might not want to engage in. Second, what type of package would we be talking about here? I'm guessing Soto, Wood, and a lower-level pitching prospect with lots of upside like Corcino might get the job done. Hamilton would and should be off limits for this deal.

oneupper
11-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Not sure what it would take, but Garza is a guy the REDS could afford. Sure, I'd love a real TOR guy, but Garza is a solid 3/4 IMO.

RedEye
11-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Not sure what it would take, but Garza is a guy the REDS could afford. Sure, I'd love a real TOR guy, but Garza is a solid 3/4 IMO.

Don't we already have a stable of 3/4 guys? Or maybe after last year, that perspective has changed?

MattyHo4Life
11-21-2011, 12:04 PM
The Cubs gave up some good prospects to get Garza. It would probably take similar talent to get them to trade their best Starting Pitcher.

oneupper
11-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Don't we already have a stable of 3/4 guys? Or maybe after last year, that perspective has changed?

Garza would be the REDS second best starting pitcher, I'd think.

Cueto
Garza
Leake
Bailey
Arroyo.

With Chapman as a wildcard.

The Operator
11-21-2011, 12:26 PM
He's much more than a 3 or especially a 4, IMO. He misses a good number of bats and pitches 200 innings almost every year. I'd say he'd be a #2 on most team not named The Phillies or Giants and a #1 on several.

oregonred
11-21-2011, 12:27 PM
The second wild card makes the intradivision concern a bit less of a barrier. Especially for creative and good GM's like Epstein. Finding a #1 or #2 starter this offseason is priority 1a and 1b...

Benihana
11-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Thoughts? For me, seems like a few issues here. First, there's the whole intra-division trading that the Cubs (and/or Reds) might not want to engage in. Second, what type of package would we be talking about here? I'm guessing Soto, Wood, and a lower-level pitching prospect with lots of upside like Corcino might get the job done. Hamilton would and should be off limits for this deal.

If that's all it would take, I'd do that deal in a second (Soto+Wood for Garza). My guess is it would take substantially more, especially to keep him in the division.

Vottomatic
11-21-2011, 06:01 PM
If that's all it would take, I'd do that deal in a second (Soto+Wood for Garza). My guess is it would take substantially more, especially to keep him in the division.

Agreed. I'd do Wood and Soto in a heartbeat for Garza, but the Cubs would be dumb to not ask for more.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Garza? Heck yeah, if the price is right. Theo is smart, so he'll want a lot for him.

What's he worth if he goes to arbitration?

I also agree with oneupper that he'd be at least our 2nd best starter. I actually think he'd be a good one to lock down for a few years.

mth123
11-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Yes please. If he's available, he's the best guy on the market. Way better than CJ Wilson IMO.

Vottomatic
11-25-2011, 01:48 PM
He is arb eligible right now according to Cot's. Probably going to command a hefty pay raise. Reds would have to trade players/prospects and buy out his 2 remaining arb years to make the deal worth it.

But the dude had a 3.32 e.r.a. with all the other categories respectable. Pitchers like him are worth it. But the Reds don't seem to go after guys like this typically.

Vottomatic
11-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Mlb trade rumors saying Yankees are interested in trading for Garza.

Benihana
11-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Cubs Open For Business On Matt Garza
By Tim Dierkes [November 28 at 1:54pm CST]
Teams have a clear belief that the Cubs are open for business on starter Matt Garza, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney. Some teams expect Garza to be dealt this winter. Earlier this month, USA Today's Bob Nightengale wrote that the Cubs are willing to listen on everyone.

Garza, 28, moved to the National League this year and posted career-bests with a 3.32 ERA and 197 strikeouts. He's under team control for 2012 and '13, and MLBTR projects a salary around $8.7MM for '12.

The Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays, three of teams that had no access to acquiring Garza when he pitched for the Rays in the AL East, figure to inquire with Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer this winter. The Rangers, Rockies, Marlins, Angels, Nationals, Reds, and Dodgers could be other interested parties, and the Twins certainly know Garza well having drafted him in '05.

What will it take to acquire Garza? The Cubs' farm system is light on top-shelf young pitching, based on rankings from Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus. With Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, and Martin Perez, the Yankees and Rangers' top arms could be of particular interest to the Cubs.

I'd offer Corcino, Wood, and one of the Dragon hitters, and see where things go from there.

REDREAD
11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
I'd love to get Garza.. I also agree that Garza is at least a #2 pitcher.. Geez, if Garza is a 3/4 type pitcher, than at least 80% of starting pitchers are #5's

IMO, a #2 pitcher means he's in the top 40% of starting pitchers.. He clearly is.
I can understand how some people could say that a #1 has to be one of the top dozen pitchers in the game, but IMO it's not right to call Garza a #3 pitcher.

mdccclxix
11-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I'd love to get Garza.. I also agree that Garza is at least a #2 pitcher.. Geez, if Garza is a 3/4 type pitcher, than at least 80% of starting pitchers are #5's

IMO, a #2 pitcher means he's in the top 40% of starting pitchers.. He clearly is.
I can understand how some people could say that a #1 has to be one of the top dozen pitchers in the game, but IMO it's not right to call Garza a #3 pitcher.

Garza's a nice #3 pitcher, he had a career year in his switch to the NL, which does a lot of AL pitchers well. If I'm not mistaken, he's only got one year of arb left, so giving up young pitching would be a lot. Nevertheless, if it's a younger guy or two, that'd be okay.

Reds Freak
11-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Garza's mental makeup would concern me. I've always thought the guy was a bit of a nut job, ready to explode at any moment...

mth123
11-28-2011, 08:51 PM

I'm from the school that thinks there are only about 10 to 15 number 1s and 25 or so number 2s, and I still think Garza is a number 2.

REDREAD
11-28-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm from the school that thinks there are only about 10 to 15 number 1s and 25 or so number 2s, and I still think Garza is a number 2.

Yep.. One would be hard pressed to name 35-40 pitchers that are clearly better than Garza.