PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Sign Joe Nathan, Feliz to rotation

savafan
11-21-2011, 08:21 PM
http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/2011/11/21/rangers-sign-joe-nathan/

The Texas Rangers have signed Closer/RHP Joe Nathan, reportedly to a 2 year contract. This move seems to indicate that RHP Neftali Feliz will be moving into the starting rotataion.

mattfeet
11-21-2011, 08:48 PM
This is a very underrated signing, IMO. Could reap very very big rewards.

-Matt

mattfeet
11-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Whoa, just saw it was a 2yr/$14.5mil contract. That's steep, IMO. Im glad the Reds didn't tie that money up in Nathan.

-Matt

mdccclxix
11-21-2011, 09:21 PM
I have to believe Cordero will get more than Nathan. 9 mil?

Patrick Bateman
11-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Whoa, just saw it was a 2yr/$14.5mil contract. That's steep, IMO. Im glad the Reds didn't tie that money up in Nathan.

-Matt

How did this go from underrated to overpaid, when nobody was 'rating' him in the first place? :lol:

Captain Hook
11-21-2011, 10:09 PM
I have to believe Cordero will get more than Nathan. 9 mil?

I wonder if the deal Nathan got was on the table for Cordero?MLBTR listed the Rangers as one of the interested teams.I like CoCo but I hope the Reds stay away because I think your right.

redsfandan
11-22-2011, 05:38 AM
Guess Mike Adams still has to wait for his shot.

lollipopcurve
11-22-2011, 07:08 AM
This contract indicates the Reds are in a pretty good spot for offering arbitration to Cordero. He'll get at least as good as Nathan, likely better -- meaning he'd turn down the arb offer.

MattyHo4Life
11-22-2011, 07:38 AM
This contract indicates the Reds are in a pretty good spot for offering arbitration to Cordero. He'll get at least as good as Nathan, likely better -- meaning he'd turn down the arb offer.

Well, Nathan signed for 14.5Mil for two years. Cordero could get close to that through arbitration for 1 year. If the Reds offer Cordero arbitration.... he will be a Red in 2012.

lollipopcurve
11-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Well, Nathan signed for 14.5Mil for two years. Cordero could get close to that through arbitration for 1 year. If the Reds offer Cordero arbitration.... he will be a Red in 2012.

I wonder if that's true.... More guaranteed money or AAV? 2 years promised the closer role (performance permitting) vs 1? Going through free agency 2 winters in a row? I think Cordero might prefer the guaranteed dough and security. He's older, has his sights set on climbing the career saves list, and doesn't need the dough.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-22-2011, 08:50 AM
I have a feeling the Rangers are going to go on a Big Red Machine like run. All the ingredients are in place.

The BRM started off the 70's with some heartbreaking playoff/World Series losses too. In fact, if they don't pull out game 7 in '75, they might have developed a Buffalo Bills like (choker) reputation that could have stuck with them forever.

It might not be this year, but within the next two years I expect the Rangers to have their 1975/1976 seasons of redemption.

Kc61
11-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Yeah, the Reds absolutely will not risk an arbitration hearing with Coco. They will not offer him arbitration -- unless there is a pre-arrangement that Coco won't accept arbitration and will continue to negotiate with the team.

No way the Reds will take even the slightest risk of an arbitration hearing with Coco, at which he could get north of $10 million.

Strikes Out Looking
11-22-2011, 09:18 AM
I have a feeling the Rangers are going to go on a Big Red Machine like run. All the ingredients are in place.

The BRM started off the 70's with some heartbreaking playoff/World Series losses too. In fact, if they don't pull out game 7 in '75, they might have developed a Buffalo Bills like (choker) reputation that could have stuck with them forever.

It might not be this year, but within the next two years I expect the Rangers to have their 1975/1976 seasons of redemption.

Ron Washington is no Sparky Anderson. They may be good, but they aren't the Big Red Machine.

*BaseClogger*
11-23-2011, 02:44 AM

I don't see any Hall of Famers on the Rangers? :confused:

Jpup
11-23-2011, 11:29 PM

I think they have some guys that could become that. Josh Hamilton has a chance if he can play at his 2010 level. Beltre, Young, and Andrus could be eventually. Certainly not yet.

kaldaniels
11-24-2011, 12:31 AM
I think they have some guys that could become that. Josh Hamilton has a chance if he can play at his 2010 level. Beltre, Young, and Andrus could be eventually. Certainly not yet.

Josh isn't a HOF. His counting stats will never be high enough. 118 HR right now and he will be 31 most of next year.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-24-2011, 10:54 AM

With the exception of Rose (ironic) and a young Bench, you could have said the same thing about the Reds in the early 70's. Those guys (Morgan specifically) didn't cement their HOF status until they had made their run throughout the mid to late 70's.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Ron Washington is no Sparky Anderson. They may be good, but they aren't the Big Red Machine.

I just said I could see them making a BRM like run, going from chokers (bridesmaids) to repeat champions. Maybe a mini-dynasty, if you will.

Nobody will ever be exactly like the BRM again. That's a once in a million years kind of team.

*BaseClogger*
11-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Josh isn't a HOF. His counting stats will never be high enough. 118 HR right now and he will be 31 most of next year.

Neither is Beltre or especially Young. Andrus is still you enough I guess but really come on...

kaldaniels
11-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Neither is Beltre or especially Young. Andrus is still you enough I guess but really come on...

Agreed. Josh seemed to be the centerpiece of that post so he was the one I remarked on.

I will say Andrus impresses me...he could do it.