PDA

View Full Version : Beer Thread :Spinoff

Pages : [1] 2 3

11-22-2011, 01:33 AM
As I start this I am actually drinking one of these.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4922781816_d176da64e2.jpg

Gonna buy something well crafted for Thanksgiving. Any suggestions for something available in the west central Indiana area? I might drive the hour long trip to Bloomington to get it.

*BaseClogger*
11-22-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm currently sitting on a few more of these:

http://la.guesto***uest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/delirium20tremens-klein.jpg

RichRed
11-22-2011, 02:53 PM
^A beer actually named after the DTs. You have to admire the boldness.

PedroBourbon
11-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Leinenkugel makes a Fireside Nut Brown only in November and December. I have only found 1 six pack this year so far. It's a "lighter" dark beer (if I can say that) with faint caramel hint. Will fill you up quick, very good.

Redhook
11-23-2011, 07:25 AM
I love how a case of Yuengling only cost $1 more than Bud Light. That's fantastic!

Sea Ray
11-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm currently sitting on a few more of these:

http://la.guesto***uest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/delirium20tremens-klein.jpg

That bottle makes it look like salad dressing

*BaseClogger*
11-24-2011, 01:31 PM
That bottle makes it look like salad dressing

It's the best beer you've never had, candy bottle or not...

Johnny Footstool
11-24-2011, 05:41 PM

I'm not a fan. Too many flavors fighting for my attention.

bigredmechanism
11-24-2011, 07:43 PM

I like DT a lot too. Have you tried their Christmas Ale, 'Noel?' That stuff is downright magical.

muddie
11-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Leinenkugel makes a Fireside Nut Brown only in November and December. I have only found 1 six pack this year so far. It's a "lighter" dark beer (if I can say that) with faint caramel hint. Will fill you up quick, very good.

Good beer and reasonably priced. I had the Leinenkugel Winter Sampler 12 pack a couple weeks ago and this was the best of the four beers in it. The Honey Wheat was also good.

gilpdawg
11-27-2011, 01:40 AM
I love how a case of Yuengling only cost $1 more than Bud Light. That's fantastic!
Everyone in my area are flipping out over that stuff, since it's new here. Is it that good? I'll have to try some, preferably draft, since that's how I roll.

goreds2
11-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Everyone in my area are flipping out over that stuff, since it's new here. Is it that good? I'll have to try some, preferably draft, since that's how I roll.

Hey buddy,

Yes, the Yuengling is good beer in my opinion. I am also impressed at the pricing as it is around the same price as the Miller Lite that I drink most often. I was in the back patio last night talking to my neighbor and he was drinking a Yuengling Light (Lite?).

Redhook
11-27-2011, 09:02 AM

IMO, Yuengling is a very average and highly overrated beer. I thought this the first time I tried it 10+ years ago. When classifying Yuengling, I'd put it in the same class as the Bud and Miller Lite's of the world. It's a very light amber lager. I'm not sure why people are flipping out over it, honestly. It's cheap and it's beer, but that's about it. To me, it doesn't have a ton of flavor and seems watered down. But, that's coming from someone used to much stronger beers like Great Lakes, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, etc. so take it for what's it worth.

I bought Yuengling the other day to try it again and to save a few bucks. I was hoping it was going to be better than I remembered. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I doubt I'll buy it again.

On a different note, I went to Zip's last Saturday and had the Great Lakes Christmas Ale on draft again. Fantastic as usual. I try to make an annual trip there for a burger and the beer.

*BaseClogger*
11-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Yeah, Yuengling is overhyped, but for its price range it is still much better than Bud Light IMO...

izzy's dad
11-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Bud heavy please. I think Yuengling is good, but not a world beater. I was pumped to try it, the hype made it sound like it should taste like Paula Dean was making a meal in your mouth, I was a bit disapointed.

marcshoe
11-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Yuengling's Black & Tan is good. A hint of hazlenut, I think. I don't like most beer (drink it for kidney stones) but I do enjoy drinking this. Not as much as Guinness, but cheaper.

Right now all I have in the fridge is a bottle of bud someone gave me. I have a really bad stone, but I still can't bring myself to drink it.

Johnny Footstool
11-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Yuengling tastes like beer -- not too hoppy, not too malty, no spices, no peat, no orange peel. Just beer flavor. It's best in the summer, when you want something light to cool you off without filling you up. It has more flavor and less plastic aftertaste than macrobrews. It hits the spot.

bucksfan2
11-28-2011, 10:32 AM
IMO, Yuengling is a very average and highly overrated beer. I thought this the first time I tried it 10+ years ago. When classifying Yuengling, I'd put it in the same class as the Bud and Miller Lite's of the world. It's a very light amber lager. I'm not sure why people are flipping out over it, honestly. It's cheap and it's beer, but that's about it. To me, it doesn't have a ton of flavor and seems watered down. But, that's coming from someone used to much stronger beers like Great Lakes, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, etc. so take it for what's it worth.

I bought Yuengling the other day to try it again and to save a few bucks. I was hoping it was going to be better than I remembered. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I doubt I'll buy it again.

On a different note, I went to Zip's last Saturday and had the Great Lakes Christmas Ale on draft again. Fantastic as usual. I try to make an annual trip there for a burger and the beer.

Yuengling is a decent beer. It isn't going to have a micro brew taste and I agree you can classify it along the lines of Miller or Bud, however I think its better than those two. I think a good comp is Sam Adams, smaller mass market brew.

I had Great Lakes Christmas Ale up in Canton this weekend. It was good, not as great as people claim it to be. And it didn't sit too well with me.

I had some Left Hand Brewery Pilsner the other day and it was very good.

Redhook
11-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Yuengling is a decent beer. It isn't going to have a micro brew taste and I agree you can classify it along the lines of Miller or Bud, however I think its better than those two. I think a good comp is Sam Adams, smaller mass market brew.

Yuengling is better than the Bud and Miller Lite's of the world, but I'd still put it in the same class/category as them. I think it's much closer to them than it is to Sam Adams. I don't think it's close to the quality of Sam Adams.

RichRed
11-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Picked up a six-pack of Michelob over the weekend because I hadn't had it in years. Not Michelob Light, Ultra, or Dark...just plain ol' Michelob Lager. Very refreshing and to quote Johnny F., just "tastes like beer."

Roy Tucker
11-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Went over to the Dilly Cafe in Mariemont with family and had a Great Lakes "Christmas Ale" and a Bells "Third Coast Old Ale". Both were darn fine beers.

And I think Yuengling is not bad beer. Better than most other mass-produced beers.

Johnny Footstool
11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Yuengling is better than the Bud and Miller Lite's of the world, but I'd still put it in the same class/category as them. I think it's much closer to them than it is to Sam Adams. I don't think it's close to the quality of Sam Adams.

Yeah, it's the same basic style as Bud and Miller Lite - lager. And for that style, it is very good.

If you're not a fan of that style, that's perfectly fine. But there is still a lot of craft involved. It's kind of like how 5 Guys and McDonalds both make burgers, and 5 Guys does it much better.

Redhook
11-28-2011, 10:02 PM
If you're not a fan of that style, that's perfectly fine. But there is still a lot of craft involved. It's kind of like how 5 Guys and McDonalds both make burgers, and 5 Guys does it much better.

It's not my favorite style, but I do enjoy lagers. In fact, I had a couple of Bud Lights tonight. I like all beer, just some styles better than others.

I agree there is a lot of craft that's involved, more so than Bud Light, etc.; however, IMO, I think there's something missing in the beer. To me, it comes off a little flat and I'm not quite sure why. I wish I liked it a little more because I love the price. Maybe I should keep drinking it until I acquire a taste for it? ;)

*BaseClogger*
11-29-2011, 12:07 AM
I wish I liked it a little more because I love the price. Maybe I should keep drinking it until I acquire a taste for it? ;)

That's what we all did with Natty Light!

Speaking of which, my new favorite way to get drunk:

http://sitelife.runnersworld.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/11/12/7bee4399-c9d7-434a-8c34-b18873fb22ec.Medium.jpg

Johnny Footstool
11-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Maybe I should keep drinking it until I acquire a taste for it? ;)

:beerme:

izzy's dad
12-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Just tried Blue Moon Winter Abbey something or other. It tastes really sweet initially, but the after taste is so horribly bitey that I couldn't finish it. Back to Bud Light.

cincyinco
12-02-2011, 03:54 AM
Just tried Blue Moon Winter Abbey something or other. It tastes really sweet initially, but the after taste is so horribly bitey that I couldn't finish it. Back to Bud Light.

I think you should have your taste buds checked out by a professional.. :)

westofyou
12-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Went over to the Dilly Cafe in Mariemont with family and had a Great Lakes "Christmas Ale" and a Bells "Third Coast Old Ale". Both were darn fine beers.

And I think Yuengling is not bad beer. Better than most other mass-produced beers.

Love that place, all my Mariemont friends hang there, of course it used to be a Krogers back in my day, all the Christmas ales are flooding Portland then tend to be too heavy handed on the hops and a tad too boozy for recreational drinking

So one must learn to pace oneself, my pub has SIX holiday beers often pushing my ipa off the tap, that I don't like

SunDeck
12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Bud, Bud Light, Miller High Life...these are all beers which get panned as poor quality. Beer is made with a living organism and ensuring that one brewed at one facility is the same as one brewed at another is extremely difficult, yet you can have a Bud Light in Miami that tastes the same as one in LA.
One may not prefer the "weaker" tastes of the American style lagers, but that's not a function of quality, but rather of making a product that appeals to the largest interest.

Sea Ray
12-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Love that place, all my Mariemont friends hang there, of course it used to be a Krogers back in my day, all the Christmas ales are flooding Portland then tend to be too heavy handed on the hops and a tad too boozy for recreational drinking

So one must learn to pace oneself, my pub has SIX holiday beers often pushing my ipa off the tap, that I don't like

Portland is the craft beer capital of the country. I'm envious

Sea Ray
12-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey, I noticed last night that a new beer place opened up in the Fields Ertel Rd area. Burgers and Brews at the old Bob Evans location in Symmes Township on Mason-Montgomery Rd across from Frisch's is now open. They have a lot of TVs and most importantly a ton of taps. Just from driving around it last night it looked like about 20 taps encompassing three sides of the bar

muddie
12-02-2011, 09:51 AM

Yuengling, in my professional opinion, deserves a better ranking than the Bud/Miller class. Agreed, it ain't in the same stratosphere with Sam Adams. I tell my friends, Yuengling is in that vacuum between the good beers and the lower beers. It fills a void but there is a distinction.

muddie
12-02-2011, 09:56 AM

The Blue Moon Abbey Ale is generally a decent winter brew. If you are a regular Bud Light drinker it is not surprising that you didn't like this beer.

muddie
12-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Picked up a six-pack of Michelob over the weekend because I hadn't had it in years. Not Michelob Light, Ultra, or Dark...just plain ol' Michelob Lager. Very refreshing and to quote Johnny F., just "tastes like beer."

Does Mic even make the old 'Classic Dark' anymore. I haven't seen it ages. I have always assumed they tinkered with the recipe and brought it back as Amber Bock...anyone know? The old Classic Dark was pretty good stuff.

*BaseClogger*
12-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Sierra Nevada's Celebration is better than Great Lakes's Christmas Ale. Thoughts?

westofyou
12-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Sierra Nevada's Celebration is better than Great Lakes's Christmas Ale. Thoughts?

It's a classic 20 years plus, always enjoyed it more than Anchor Steams too which can be too nutmeggy some years

Roy Tucker
12-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Hey, I noticed last night that a new beer place opened up in the Fields Ertel Rd area. Burgers and Brews at the old Bob Evans location in Symmes Township on Mason-Montgomery Rd across from Frisch's is now open. They have a lot of TVs and most importantly a ton of taps. Just from driving around it last night it looked like about 20 taps encompassing three sides of the bar

Hum..... I'll have to check that out. That's in my neighborhood (as much as 'burbs have neighborhoods).

Redhook
12-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Yuengling, in my professional opinion, deserves a better ranking than the Bud/Miller class. Agreed, it ain't in the same stratosphere with Sam Adams. I tell my friends, Yuengling is in that vacuum between the good beers and the lower beers. It fills a void but there is a distinction.

I agree with you if you're adding an additional class I wasn't aware of. ;)

reds1869
12-03-2011, 11:42 AM
It's a classic 20 years plus, always enjoyed it more than Anchor Steams too which can be too nutmeggy some years

I love Celebration. Sierra Nevada puts out consistently solid beer. I always recommend them as an entry point for friends looking to drink higher quality beer than BMC. My beer drinking has been curtailed for health reasons but Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is still my go to when I can have a drink.

Sea Ray
12-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Hum..... I'll have to check that out. That's in my neighborhood (as much as 'burbs have neighborhoods).

If you go, give us a report and I'll do the same...:thumbup:

Ditto for the new place at the old Willie's location in Kenwood across the street from Dana Motors. It's a locally owned place concentrating on diverse beer choices and sandwiches, just opened a week or so ago

12-06-2011, 01:44 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5205/5247337591_45272b1a59.jpg

I had one of these tonight on tap served in a snifter. I really didn't like it. After I was home, I looked at beer advocate's review and they agreed.

*BaseClogger*
12-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I've been attempting to try as many of these holiday beers as possible (first Christmas as a 21 year old), and of the five or so I've tried none are as good as Celebration...

Spitball
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I am enjoying Samuel Adams Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig Ale.

Johnny Footstool
12-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad. Finally. It's almost as good as Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/43670

bucksfan2
12-16-2011, 09:01 AM
http://www.lefthandbrewing.com/img/xlarge/beer_images/bottle_and_glass/polestar_pilsner_bottle_glass_1024710826.png

Really enjoying this beer. Not a huge left hand brewery fan but this pilsner is top notch.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/assets/steam-bio.png

I know some people love Anchor Steam. I have tried it and its kinda blah to me. Not bad, not great, a little pricey.

Spitball
12-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad. Finally. It's almost as good as Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

I'll have to look for this one. I am guessing it is related to the Smokestack series that I tried last summer and was impressed. It sounds like a pretty good Christmas gift idea...giving and getting.

*BaseClogger*
12-17-2011, 04:21 AM
Moving on from Celebration... Bell's Winter White has been quenching my holiday beer thirst lately...

Caseyfan21
12-17-2011, 04:23 PM

I picked this up last night among a few other beers. Looking forward to trying it tonight, hopefully.

Also picked up the Hoppin' Frog Christmas beer. It's very cinammony but I enjoy it. Definitely worth trying just because it's so unique.

cincyinco
12-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Oh My God.. if you are lucky enough to find one of these.. grab it up.. Pricey, but devine.. Only 120 cases made, only 50 released in my state. I'm lucky enough to work caddy corner to this pretty amazing brewery.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFMqvCgZRS90vPhIBtDY9denjbwSOT_ hLocEWKqULPzLMg7M-j6w

WebScorpion
12-20-2011, 05:39 AM
Beer Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

First let me say there are very few beers that I don't like, so my tastes vary greatly and I LOOOVE to try a new beer.

The Belgian Delerium Tremens mentioned at the beginning of this thread is reeally good but I have to be in the mood for a light fruity beer. Plus it has a magical high alcohol content that leaves you with the warm happies.

My old standby is Guinness...the nitro makes it go down so smooth and there's nothing like watching the bubbles going the wrong way when it first arrives.:D

I love a lot of the beers from Full Sail. especially their LTD Lager and their Amber.

If you ever get to Charleston, SC you've got to try anything from Coast Brewing, I especially remember their Honey Wheat Pale Ale hybrid beer.

Just about anything from Sam Adams will make me happy...I don't think they let bad beer go into a bottle. The Boston Lager is still my favorite though.

I used to like an IPA made by the Red Hook brewery, but they've discontinued it in favor of their 'Longhammer IPA' which I can't stand.

There's an especially nice porter out of Portsmouth, NH called Old Brown Dog that has been delicious every time I've run across it.

I'm a sucker for Porters, McMenamin's has a fine Nitro Porter, Rogue brewery's Hazelnut Brown is excellent too.

I can't mention Rogue without plugging their Dead Guy Ale...it can't be beat for nice full bodied ale.

Old Monkey Shine is another favorite full bodied ale I had in Tucson, AZ

I usually always have a Pils/Lager and a Stout/Porter of some kind in the fridge ... right now there's some Land Shark, a few Black Butte Porters, and a new 6 pack of Sam Adams Winter Lager. Again, it depends upon my mood which one I'll grab, but I enjoy them all. :beerme:

Sea Ray
12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
OK, I went to the new Burgers and Brews place in Symmes Township over the weekend and here is my report.

It's on Mason-Montgomery Rd across the street from Golden Corral where the Bob Evans used to be. If you're coimng from the south get off on exit 19 (Fields Ertel) I-71, get in the right lane and take an immediate right turn at the Tires Plus.

I was not terribly impressed with this place but it could be just my tastes. They do have about 25 beers on tap but only about three lagers. I know ales are easier to brew and all but I'd like to have more lager choices than that. If you're into Ales, go for it.

Over half the menu is burgers as the name suggests but they were ordinary. My daughter got wings and they looked ordinary as well although I will say they were pretty meaty. My daughter very much enjoyed her brownie sundae dessert. The beers were $5-6 a glass. I had a Brooklyn Lager and a Great Lakes Christmas Ale. All toll, it was 4 beers,onion rings appetizer, two burgers w/fries, wings, dessert = $70 including tax/tip.

I'd like to try the new place on Mont Rd at the old Willies location and hope that they have more lagers/pilsners to choose from.

*BaseClogger*
12-20-2011, 06:06 PM
$5 to $6 sounds expensive?

bucksfan2
12-21-2011, 09:06 AM

For pint drafts of "specialty beer" beer is right in line. A lot of those places make a killing off their beer sales.

Last winter my wife and I went down with another couple to Senate in OTR. Senate is known for their gourmet hot dogs (yea not so good) and beer selection. She got a hot dog and I got a burger, we shared a side of fries and then alcohol. I think our part of the tab was $70. I did leave there feeling no pain. 7-9% alcohol beers knock you down pretty quickly.

Sea Ray
12-21-2011, 10:00 AM

I thought it was a little pricey but I figured that was just me being cheap...

12-21-2011, 04:09 PM
I had a glass of Chimay last year around this time. 12 bucks. I knew it was expensive stuff, but I was treating myself to a Christmas present.

*BaseClogger*
12-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I thought it was a little pricey but I figured that was just me being cheap...

I guess I'm used to college bars haha...

Chrietic
12-22-2011, 04:44 PM
^A beer actually named after the DTs. You have to admire the boldness.

that's awesome.

muddie
12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
We are getting things ready so that we can sell our house and that means organizing and discarding. I have been collecting different Sam Adams bottles as I finish them off over the past several years now. I always hang on to any one of the bottles I have never had before...empty of course. Having to finally move them or lose them, I counted the ones I had. There were 33 different Sam Adams bottles, no duplicates. I was a little surprised there were that many.

Spitball
12-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I just had a Boulevard Wheat Amber Ale and a I.P.A Single-wide. Excellent.

12-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Among my Christmas gifts are Bell's Christmas Ale, and Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout and Winter Welcome Ale and a sampler case of Dos Equis.

*BaseClogger*
12-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Among my Christmas gifts are Bell's Christmas Ale, and Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout and Winter Welcome Ale and a sampler case of Dos Equis.

Does Bells have a Christmas ale or are you referring to the Winter White Ale?

Sea Ray
12-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Does Bells have a Christmas ale or are you referring to the Winter White Ale?

They sure do:

http://bellsbeer.com/brands/27-Christmas%20Ale

It has that label on the lower right corner of a Christmas Tree.

I had a couple over the weekend; I thought it was quite good and I'm not an Ale drinker

Roy Tucker
12-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Took my wife and daughters to the Wildflower Cafe in downtown Mason. Recommend it very much. Great food.

Being on vacation, I had beer for lunch. Started with a St. Bernardus Christmas Ale which was very good. Then the waiter asked if I wanted another one and I said what the hell, and asked him what he recommended. He told me the Left Handed Milk Stout was good and it was.

Came home, puttered around, and took a nap. Can't drink like I used to.

*BaseClogger*
12-29-2011, 06:30 AM
Being on vacation, I had beer for lunch.

Not with lunch, but for lunch... :thumbup:

muddie
01-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Sam Adams has a new beer out, at least in my part of the country. Alpine Spring is an unfiltered lager. Give it a try, not bad. I'm wondering if this will be this years spring beer. They've changed up several times over the past ten years.

I also ran across what I believe to be a new brew from Saranac, White IPA. I like this one as well. Kind of blends the witbier with an IPA. The ABV% is a safe 6%.

I would recommend both of these beers. Nice way to come out of the winter beers.

mole44
01-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Sam Adams has a new beer out, at least in my part of the country. Alpine Spring is an unfiltered lager. Give it a try, not bad. I'm wondering if this will be this years spring beer. They've changed up several times over the past ten years.

It is indeed their new spring beer. I tried my first one last night, and I rather enjoyed it. I loved White Ale, but did really care for Noble Pils, though it did grow on my some last season. But back to Alpine Springs, I think I may have found my new favorite Samy.

On a side note, why the heck is the Spring beer out already? I hate how SA does that, Summer Ale will be out by March at this pace.

bucksfan2
01-21-2012, 10:28 AM
It is indeed their new spring beer. I tried my first one last night, and I rather enjoyed it. I loved White Ale, but did really care for Noble Pils, though it did grow on my some last season. But back to Alpine Springs, I think I may have found my new favorite Samy.

On a side note, why the heck is the Spring beer out already? I hate how SA does that, Summer Ale will be out by March at this pace.

Fantastic beer. Had a couple last night and was very impressed.

muddie
01-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Just saw their new spring combo 12 pack. There are two more new beers in that not including the Alpine Spring! Don't recall the new ones right off. The other three were Black Lager, Lager, and Noble Pils as I recall. Looks interesting. I'm waiting for the sale price.

Grabbed a Widmer Brothers combo 12 pack for $4 less.

muddie
01-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Just saw their new spring combo 12 pack. There are two more new beers in that not including the Alpine Spring! Don't recall the new ones right off. The other three were Black Lager, Lager, and Noble Pils as I recall. Looks interesting. I'm waiting for the sale price.

Grabbed a Widmer Brothers combo 12 pack for $4 less.

The other two beers in the Sam spring pack are Whitewater IPA and Mighty Oak Ale. Apparently Sam Adams and Saranac are crossing the witbier and IPA this year.

goreds2
01-31-2012, 10:55 PM
I saw an interesting article on what type of glass should be used for your brand of beer.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware

Hidden nuances, become more pronounced, colors shimmer, and the enjoyment of the beer simply becomes a better, more complete, experience.

Getting Some Glassware
Many are available on-line, at stores like Crate & Barrel or, for those of you in the beer industry, from restaurant glassware wholesalers. Also checkout your local beer store who might carry a selection of glassware, and even the occasional glassware giveaway with purchase.

mole44
02-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I saw an interesting article on what type of glass should be used for your brand of beer.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware

Hidden nuances, become more pronounced, colors shimmer, and the enjoyment of the beer simply becomes a better, more complete, experience.

Getting Some Glassware
Many are available on-line, at stores like Crate & Barrel or, for those of you in the beer industry, from restaurant glassware wholesalers. Also checkout your local beer store who might carry a selection of glassware, and even the occasional glassware giveaway with purchase.

There was a time where I would have said you were crazy, a glass is a glass. Then a year or two ago I picked up a couple of the Sam Adams glasses. Now I pretty much drink all my bottled beer from them. The shape really does enhance most beers I drink.

http://realbeer.com/edu/images/2007_sam-adams-glass.jpg

bucksfan2
02-01-2012, 09:38 AM
There was a time where I would have said you were crazy, a glass is a glass. Then a year or two ago I picked up a couple of the Sam Adams glasses. Now I pretty much drink all my bottled beer from them. The shape really does enhance most beers I drink.

If its a lager or a pilsner I really don't care about the glass. A frosty mug is cool but not necessary. There is only so much you can spice up a Miller Lite.

But I did notice when drinking Christmas Ale's that when you pour a bottle into a glass the beer taste much much better. Almost to the point where I was ready to give some of my ale's away and then poured one into a glass and said "is this really the same beer!"

SunDeck
02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
If its a lager or a pilsner I really don't care about the glass. A frosty mug is cool but not necessary. There is only so much you can spice up a Miller Lite.

But I did notice when drinking Christmas Ale's that when you pour a bottle into a glass the beer taste much much better. Almost to the point where I was ready to give some of my ale's away and then poured one into a glass and said "is this really the same beer!"

If it's a really flavorful beer I like to pour it into a glass and let if foam quite a bit because the flavor is better without all the trapped carbonation. And, not to get too snooty about it, by using a glass you get the full affect of the beer's aroma. This is a habit I picked up in Germany where they might draw a beer three or four times before serving it to you, so that it has a "beautiful flower" of foam on top.

goreds2
02-02-2012, 11:11 PM
'Beer Week' celebrates craft of brewing distinctive tastes (Cincinnati)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120131/NEWS/301310143

Sea Ray
02-04-2012, 09:39 AM
'Beer Week' celebrates craft of brewing distinctive tastes (Cincinnati)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120131/NEWS/301310143

I hit two of the events yesterday. I wish there were more lagers to taste but oh well. It's a nice concept and I hope it catches on. We need stuff like this in Cincinnati especially this time of year

goreds2
02-04-2012, 09:30 PM

http://realbeer.com/edu/images/2007_sam-adams-glass.jpg

Here is the ad.....

Boston Lager Glass - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7AoR-Itac)

GAC
02-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Got a buddy at work that is really into beer making. He started out with Mr Beer a few years back, but has invested a few hundred dollars in his setup, and makes some simply fantastic beer. Just got a German dunkel from him that is marvelous.

I may have to drink the "brand names" when I'm on the golf course - though the local course now has Wooden Shoe - ...... http://woodenshoebrews.com/

but any other time give me micro-brewery beer. And I loves me a good pale Ale.

We went to BJ's Brewhouse last month, and I sampled a few of their handcrafted beers. Quite tasty. Loved their Piranha Pale Ale and Oktoberfest lager.

http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/bj-beers

02-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Does that pic of the Sam Adams glass make you as thirsty as it does me?

Sea Ray
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
We went to BJ's Brewhouse last month, and I sampled a few of their handcrafted beers. Quite tasty. Loved their Piranha Pale Ale and Oktoberfest lager.

http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/bj-beers
BJ's still has Oktoberfest on tap? Usually they're done with those before by December in order to make room for the various Christmas and winter brews

SunDeck
02-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Secondary fermenting this week. I'll have me five gallons of some irish stout by Spring Break.

Sea Ray
02-29-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm sure many of you are anxious to head down to the Moerlein Lager House and when you do, I'd suggest you try the guest tap Duchesse de Bourgogne if you're feeling adventurous. I think it's the kind of beer that you'll either love or despise. I'm afraid I'm in the latter group but I think it'll arise strong reactions either way. It's served in a tulip shaped brandy snifter glass and is dark in color. It's way too sour for my tastes and I couldn't finish it but I'd like to hear other responses here to see if it was just me.

Reds/Flyers Fan
03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Anyone going to Bockfest this weekend?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120301/ENT/303010209

*BaseClogger*
03-03-2012, 01:30 PM
edit: wrong thread

Sea Ray
03-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Anyone going to Bockfest this weekend?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120301/ENT/303010209

The Bock beer was fantastic. I went on Sat night. It was crowded but managable. I did Ribs with Mitt at 7pm, Bockfest at the Beer Hall and then ended the evening with a sandwich and one final beer at the Lager House. Great evening and great to see all these things going on downtown. It also looked like there was a line coming out the door to get into Toby Keith's

Roy Tucker
03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
So, I met my son for beers at Claddaugh in Mason last night. Seems to be the only way I can see him any more.

It turned out that it was some whoop-dee-doo with Bell's (my son called it a tap takeover) at Claddaugh and they had all kinds of Bell's beer there. My son (who is a beer snob and drinks beer way above his station in life) was ecstatic and orgasmic.

Had a Bell's Black Note Stout, Expedition Stout, and an amber ale. I had another beer in there somewhere in a little goblet but I forget what it was. Evidently the Black Note Stout was a big deal. They weren't selling it but if you schmoozed your waitstaff or barstaff, they gave you a ticket for it (which we did a couple times). Potent stuff.

bucksfan2
03-16-2012, 11:29 AM
So, I met my son for beers at Claddaugh in Mason last night. Seems to be the only way I can see him any more.

It turned out that it was some whoop-dee-doo with Bell's (my son called it a tap takeover) at Claddaugh and they had all kinds of Bell's beer there. My son (who is a beer snob and drinks beer way above his station in life) was ecstatic and orgasmic.

Had a Bell's Black Note Stout, Expedition Stout, and an amber ale. I had another beer in there somewhere in a little goblet but I forget what it was. Evidently the Black Note Stout was a big deal. They weren't selling it but if you schmoozed your waitstaff or barstaff, they gave you a ticket for it (which we did a couple times). Potent stuff.

I wouldn't consider myself a beer snob. I do like to try the micro brews but often choose their pilsner or lager. I am not a big fan of their hoppier or more "flavorful" beers.

The problem I find with the Stouts, ales, etc. is that you have two of them and your feeling little pain and all that hop leaves me with a headach the next morning regardless of how many I drink.

Roy Tucker
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't consider myself a beer snob. I do like to try the micro brews but often choose their pilsner or lager. I am not a big fan of their hoppier or more "flavorful" beers.

The problem I find with the Stouts, ales, etc. is that you have two of them and your feeling little pain and all that hop leaves me with a headach the next morning regardless of how many I drink.

Yeah, I've found I'd rather have one good beer than a couple Bud Lights or Millers. I'm just not as educated about it as what my son is. I've heard him talk about Bell's before, but its not in my garage fridge on a regular basis. So this event was little lost on me. He was calling his beer friends up and saying "you can't beleive what I'm drinking right now".

And yes, I'm not a big fan of the hoppier beers so I stay away from the IPAs. Zach is though.

And yes, it got a little drunk out last night. I called my wife up to come get me. That went over big.

*BaseClogger*
03-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Being from Michigan I usually try to get whatever Bells is on tap at a place, and it rarely seems to disappoint. As good as Great Lakes is, I think Bells is even better...

11larkin11
03-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Lets try this. Newly turned 21-year old, what beer should I try out here in Columbus for a nice drink sitting outside in this beautiful weather over Spring Break?

izzy's dad
03-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Lets try this. Newly turned 21-year old, what beer should I try out here in Columbus for a nice drink sitting outside in this beautiful weather over Spring Break?

I would try any and all. You just turned 21... time to get silly drunk. :beerme:

goreds2
03-17-2012, 05:52 PM

For today.....I am drinking this.....

http://blumonkey.org/weblog/pictures/large_killians0608.jpg

goreds2
03-18-2012, 12:46 PM
For today.....I am drinking this.....

Editing as my picture did not originally post. I guess this isn't regarded as an Irish beer but it was good last night!

http://www.collegebeing.com/uploads/2007/07/killians-irish-red.jpg

paintmered
03-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Editing as my picture did not originally post. I guess this isn't regarded as an Irish beer but it was good last night!

http://www.collegebeing.com/uploads/2007/07/killians-irish-red.jpg

Being a Coors product doesn't get you far in the Irish cred department.

goreds2
03-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Being a Coors product doesn't get you far in the Irish cred department.

( :) )

http://cdn.thegloss.com/files/2011/07/dawson-crying.jpg

WildcatFan
03-21-2012, 09:04 AM
My buddy gave me this Six Point Lager last night. From Brooklyn, they just started carrying them at our Liquor Barn. Very, very tasty if you get a chance to try one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/AKord10thAniv/Beer/SixpointCrispLager.jpg

REDblooded
03-31-2012, 02:47 AM
New Albanian Hoosier Dady and Hoptimus tonight... Good stuff.

Sea Ray
04-22-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm heading off to Seattle for the upcoming weekend. I know the Pacific Northwest is a mecca of sorts for craft beer. Anybody have any suggestions for what I should look for or ask for while I'm out there? I know about Redhook and Ranier. I'm particularing interested in microbrew lagers and Pilsners. Any inside information or suggestions are appreciated...

BillDoran
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm heading off to Seattle for the upcoming weekend. I know the Pacific Northwest is a mecca of sorts for craft beer. Anybody have any suggestions for what I should look for or ask for while I'm out there? I know about Redhook and Ranier. I'm particularing interested in microbrew lagers and Pilsners. Any inside information or suggestions are appreciated...

It's out of Eugene, Oregon, but I always loved Ninkasi beers, especially Believer Double Red.

For a Seattle brewpub, I always enjoyed Elysian Brewing Company (http://www.elysianbrewing.com/). Got a couple locations, including one near Safeco.

For a breakfast Bloody Mary, can't beat Roxy's in Fremont. If you make it, send my regards to Lenin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Lenin,_Seattle).

Sea Ray
04-23-2012, 11:50 AM
It's out of Eugene, Oregon, but I always loved Ninkasi beers, especially Believer Double Red.

For a Seattle brewpub, I always enjoyed Elysian Brewing Company (http://www.elysianbrewing.com/). Got a couple locations, including one near Safeco.

For a breakfast Bloody Mary, can't beat Roxy's in Fremont. If you make it, send my regards to Lenin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Lenin,_Seattle).

Got it...:thumbup:

cincyinco
04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Anything Full Sail..

Redhook
04-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Went to BJ's Brewery in Tri-County a couple weeks back. Their Piranha Pale Ale is delicious. Pricey, $5.25, but delicious.

westofyou
04-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Anything Full Sail..

Full Sail is dead, they have lost their mojo

Little guys of note in Oregon

Hopwerks
Lompac
Laurelwood

Medium of Note in oregon

Rogue
Ninkasi
Deschutes

BillDoran
04-24-2012, 12:08 AM

Hopwerks
Lompac
Laurelwood

Medium of Note in oregon

Rogue
Ninkasi
Deschutes

Agreed on Full Sail. Their seasonal beers (LTD and Wassail) are all right, but everything else tastes fairly generic and bland to me.

Big fan of Laurelwood as well. Hopwerks not so much.

bucksfan2
04-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Hopwerks
Lompac
Laurelwood

Medium of Note in oregon

Rogue
Ninkasi
Deschutes

I have never really been a Rogue fan. However I was down in Hilton Head and had a Rogue Dead Guy Ale which was quite tasty. I wouldn't call it refereshing or a summer time beer, but it did not disappoint. I also got a kick out of the bill saying 1 Dead Guy.

westofyou
04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
I have never really been a Rogue fan. However I was down in Hilton Head and had a Rogue Dead Guy Ale which was quite tasty. I wouldn't call it refereshing or a summer time beer, but it did not disappoint. I also got a kick out of the bill saying 1 Dead Guy.

They aren't my favorite either, but dead guy is a nice brew, summer beers are still a ways away up here, couple more months then it will be hot enough to worry about the lighter fare

westofyou
04-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Agreed on Full Sail. Their seasonal beers (LTD and Wassail) are all right, but everything else tastes fairly generic and bland to me.

Big fan of Laurelwood as well. Hopwerks not so much.

The original brewer for Laurelwood is the Hopwerks owner, but I do like LW more

bigredmechanism
04-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Hey guys. I hardly ever remember to read these beer threads, but craft beer has been one of my favorite things for some time now.

I was wondering what everyone here thinks of Founders? I can get it in NJ, so I imagine most Reds fans are within the distribution area. I've been doing the low carb thing for most of 2012, so I haven't tried many beers lately, but Founders is probably in my top 3 overall for craft beers. KBS in particular I love. (Local watering hole was supposed to get the CBS on cask last summer/fall, but it never happened unfortunately.)

Sea Ray
04-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Hey guys. I hardly ever remember to read these beer threads, but craft beer has been one of my favorite things for some time now.

I was wondering what everyone here thinks of Founders? I can get it in NJ, so I imagine most Reds fans are within the distribution area. I've been doing the low carb thing for most of 2012, so I haven't tried many beers lately, but Founders is probably in my top 3 overall for craft beers. KBS in particular I love. (Local watering hole was supposed to get the CBS on cask last summer/fall, but it never happened unfortunately.)

Founders is one of many craft breweries in the state of Michigan, an area that I'm quite familiar with. Founders doesn't fit my tastes as well as others up there such as Shorts and Bells but that's because I like to go for the lagers and Founders is known for its heavier beers. If I am in the mood for a sipping beer, Founders does put out some good stouts

bucksfan2
04-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Founders is one of many craft breweries in the state of Michigan, an area that I'm quite familiar with. Founders doesn't fit my tastes as well as others up there such as Shorts and Bells but that's because I like to go for the lagers and Founders is known for its heavier beers. If I am in the mood for a sipping beer, Founders does put out some good stouts

Pretty much spot on. I am not a big Founders fan because the beers are more heavy and more "tasty". I am more a fan of Pilsners, Lagers, and Ale's from time to time. Founders often falls outside of my taste likes.

Sea Ray
04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Pretty much spot on. I am not a big Founders fan because the beers are more heavy and more "tasty". I am more a fan of Pilsners, Lagers, and Ale's from time to time. Founders often falls outside of my taste likes.

You and I would do well meeting at the Lager House :beerme:

nismoredlegs
04-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Most of my favorite beers are from Belguim. IMO some of the best beers in the world. 99% of the time you wont find these on tap. Usually bought in Pints and enjoyed at home. Select bars have it on tap or in bottle.

A lot of the times I will buy a bottle based on the labels, if it interest me I will try it. That is how I discovered my favorite beer as of now.

La Fin Du Monde:
Had this at The DingleHouse in Union Centre.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/Unibroue_-_La_fin_du_monde.jpg/220px-Unibroue_-_La_fin_du_monde.jpg

Ommegang Abbey
This was at Brazenhead in Mason for awhile, no longer there. Will make a trip to Jungle Jims, if not I will check out Party Source.
http://chicagoist.com/attachments/chicagoist_chuck/2008_08_botw34.jpg

Nocturnum Delirium
My favorite beer for the past year or two. First tried it at The DingleHouse. It is available at Jungle Jims in Pint only. They usually have 4-6 in stock. The better of the 3 Delirium. Spicier, heavier and not as sweet as the Tremens. Also available at the beer store next to Skyline, across from BW3's on Montgomery Road.
http://www.kegworks.com/images/blogpost/delirium-nocturnum.jpg

Old Buccaneer beer aka Biere de boucanier
Pretty good. Again is available at the same store on Montgomery Road.
http://pics.livejournal.com/kaminoge/pic/003b5za9/s320x240

Trappistes Rochefort 10
probably my 2nd favorite at the time.
Again at the store on Montgomery Road.
http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/trappistes-rochefort-10.jpg

These are not too expensive. But they arent beers you party with. They are beers you sit down with that special someone, or a celebritory beer.

After drinking these I cant really do normal beers anymore. Budweiser is about as low as I will go. Yeungling sucks(tastes like bad budweiser with some flavor added).

For the Reds games...Summer Shandy with Pulled Pork Sandwich. Perfect dinner for watching batting practice before the game.

Sea Ray
05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Most of my favorite beers are from Belguim. IMO some of the best beers in the world. 99% of the time you wont find these on tap. Usually bought in Pints and enjoyed at home. Select bars have it on tap or in bottle.

A lot of the times I will buy a bottle based on the labels, if it interest me I will try it. That is how I discovered my favorite beer as of now.

Thanks for your excellent contribution to this thread!

Your tastes run a little heavier than mine but that's how beer preferences vary. Your detail and pithiness are to be commended. I wasn't aware of that beer store on Mont Rd. I'll have to check it out

I don't have a lot of experience with Belgium beer but I am a fan of Stella Artois. I personally feel Germans represent the gold standard in beer brewing but I've been told by someone who was over there that actually Czech beer is as good as it gets.

*BaseClogger*
05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks for your excellent contribution to this thread!

Your tastes run a little heavier than mine but that's how beer preferences vary. Your detail and pithiness are to be commended. I wasn't aware of that beer store on Mont Rd. I'll have to check it out

I don't have a lot of experience with Belgium beer but I am a fan of Stella Artois. I personally feel Germans represent the gold standard in beer brewing but I've been told by someone who was over there that actually Czech beer is as good as it gets.

Czechs drink more beer per capita than any other nationality in the world.

Belgian's still do it best though, IMO...

bigredmechanism
05-04-2012, 05:47 PM
La Fin Du Monde:
Had this at The DingleHouse in Union Centre.

Unibroue is probably one of my favorite breweries, when all is taken into account. The beers are always great, and to be honest the artwork on the labels is really cool.

Even before I got into "good beer," I would always notice the Maudite or La Fin du Monde bottles for their label. If you can find it, Trois Pistoles is another great one they mass release.

Sea Ray
05-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Also available at the beer store next to Skyline, across from BW3's on Montgomery Road.

Is that north or south of I-275? The only BW3 I know of is north of 275 in Harpers Point but there's no Skyline there that I'm aware of.

nismoredlegs
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Sorry for the late response. Address is 7699 Montgomery Road. It is in between a Larosas and a Skyline. Across the street will be a plaza with a BW3's and a MacAllisters. Its about a mile from Kenwood Mall.

gonelong
07-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Unibroue is probably one of my favorite breweries, when all is taken into account. The beers are always great, and to be honest the artwork on the labels is really cool.

I have had two of their beers. One with a big ship on it (blech) and one with a a smaller ship on it that was outstanding.

GL

/anybody had Pliney the Elder?

NoCalRed
07-25-2012, 06:56 PM
I have had two of their beers. One with a big ship on it (blech) and one with a a smaller ship on it that was outstanding.

GL

/anybody had Pliney the Elder?

Yes and have had pliney the younger, got them both straight from the brewer.

westofyou
04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Beer

http://blog.zagat.com/2013/04/cant-miss-beer-cities-around-world.html

Portland, Oregon

The West Coast beer haven of Portland has more breweries per person than any other city in the U.S.: more than 30 at last count. Hops and barley are grown locally, so you know that your microbrew will be fresh and natural.

Where to Drink: Try drinking at home-grown breweries and taverns like Widmer Gasthaus, the New Old Lompoc and Bridgeport. If you want to drink more, arrange a ride through Portland's Brew Bus Tour, which visits 20 city establishments. The Oregon Brewers Festival is held each July and features more than 80 craft beers.

Average price for a beer: $3.30

Bolded - My Pub

Redhook
04-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Beer

You had me here.

http://blog.zagat.com/2013/04/cant-miss-beer-cities-around-world.html

Portland, Oregon

The West Coast beer haven of Portland has more breweries per person than any other city in the U.S.: more than 30 at last count. Hops and barley are grown locally, so you know that your microbrew will be fresh and natural.

Where to Drink: Try drinking at home-grown breweries and taverns like Widmer Gasthaus, the New Old Lompoc and Bridgeport. If you want to drink more, arrange a ride through Portland's Brew Bus Tour, which visits 20 city establishments. The Oregon Brewers Festival is held each July and features more than 80 craft beers.

Average price for a beer: $3.30

Bolded - My Pub

I love Portland. Had a great day at McMenamins Edgefield one day. What a cool place! Lots to do and great beer. I can't wait to go back there and to Portland one day.

westofyou
04-04-2013, 09:15 PM
You had me here.

I love Portland. Had a great day at McMenamins Edgefield one day. What a cool place! Lots to do and great beer. I can't wait to go back there and to Portland one day.

Seen some awesome shows there, wilco, modest mouse , pavement, the decemberists, further

Our work had a retreat there once great place

Not a huge fan of their beer but it works

wolfboy
04-05-2013, 11:04 AM

Even before I got into "good beer," I would always notice the Maudite or La Fin du Monde bottles for their label. If you can find it, Trois Pistoles is another great one they mass release.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, their Holiday Vintage Ale is made by Unibroue. Unibroue also has another beer they're offering at TJs. The Vintage Ale is a steal at under $5.

wolfboy
04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Is that north or south of I-275? The only BW3 I know of is north of 275 in Harpers Point but there's no Skyline there that I'm aware of.

It's called the Root Cellar. Great selection, but it's a little ADD. You kind of have to sift through their inventory, but it's usually worth it. Also, you can go into the cooler in the back and sometimes they have some hidden gems stashed back there. Great store.

WildcatFan
04-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Finally got my first Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout last week. Then my second.

Ranked #6 in the world on Beer Advocate, it more than held up to the hype. It's aged for a year in a bourbon barrel, and has lots of coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and bourbon flavors. As a stout guy, it was one of my favorite beer experiences ever.

Did anyone else find it? It only comes out once a year, and Pazzo's, where I got it, only got one five-gallon keg. I've looked around and it seems most places have about the same stock, and it's gone in a few hours.

Sea Ray
04-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Finally got my first Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout last week. Then my second.

Ranked #6 in the world on Beer Advocate, it more than held up to the hype. It's aged for a year in a bourbon barrel, and has lots of coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and bourbon flavors. As a stout guy, it was one of my favorite beer experiences ever.

Did anyone else find it? It only comes out once a year, and Pazzo's, where I got it, only got one five-gallon keg. I've looked around and it seems most places have about the same stock, and it's gone in a few hours.

Founders does very well with such (heavy) beers. If you like that I encourage you to get your hands on another Michigan craft brew, Dragon's Milk from New Holland brewing co. It has won numerous awards and led the way for New Holland to be named the best craft brewery in the state of Mich.

WildcatFan
04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Founders does very well with such (heavy) beers. If you like that I encourage you to get your hands on another Michigan craft brew, Dragon's Milk from New Holland brewing co. It has won numerous awards and led the way for New Holland to be named the best craft brewery in the state of Mich.

I actually had it a couple weeks ago for the first time. Beer Trappe here in Lexington sells bottles. It's good too; lots of chocolate in that one. I expected more of that bourbony vanilla flavor like I got in the KBS, but that's ok.

I need to branch out in New Holland a little more. I've had the Poet, and that's a nice little stout, too.

TSJ55
04-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I actually had it a couple weeks ago for the first time. Beer Trappe here in Lexington sells bottles. It's good too; lots of chocolate in that one. I expected more of that bourbony vanilla flavor like I got in the KBS, but that's ok.

I need to branch out in New Holland a little more. I've had the Poet, and that's a nice little stout, too.

Very good spot for quality brews. What's with the Restraunt / "Brewery" around the corner there? Something "River" if remember correctly? Are they brewing their own yet?

bigredmechanism
04-12-2013, 10:23 AM

Dragon's Milk is fantastic, I second this.

I tried the Mikkeller Weasel Brunch Stout not too long ago. I went to an awesome craft beer bar in Atlanta (The Porter, if anyone is familiar) and the manager set me up with one. It was pretty good, but nothing too outstanding about it.

What made it interesting, for those who don't know (and I didn't at the time), is how the coffee that is infused in this stout is acquired. Civet coffee beans, also known as Kopi Luwak, are collected from the droppings of Civet cats which are found in South East Asia. They are more like weasels than house cats, hence the name of the beer. They eat the berries, and the digestion process produces some flavors not usually seen in coffee, and it's apparently quite expensive and highly sought after by enthusiasts.

I probably wouldn't try it again, but it's a nice ice breaker at parties and social functions.

TSJ55
04-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Dragon's Milk is fantastic, I second this.

I tried the Mikkeller Weasel Brunch Stout not too long ago. I went to an awesome craft beer bar in Atlanta (The Porter, if anyone is familiar) and the manager set me up with one. It was pretty good, but nothing too outstanding about it.

What made it interesting, for those who don't know (and I didn't at the time), is how the coffee that is infused in this stout is acquired. Civet coffee beans, also known as Kopi Luwak, are collected from the droppings of Civet cats which are found in South East Asia. They are more like weasels than house cats, hence the name of the beer. They eat the berries, and the digestion process produces some flavors not usually seen in coffee, and it's apparently quite expensive and highly sought after by enthusiasts.

I probably wouldn't try it again, but it's a nice ice breaker at parties and social functions.

I've had that a local beer nerd bar here in Louisville. Like you, I didn't really care for it so I won't be trying it again.

Best stout I had over the Winter was Odin's Tipple. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15711/50235/?sort=serv&servT=1&start=0

BillDoran
04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Speaking of great stouts, I'm going to pick up a six-pack of North Coast Scrimshaw on the way home.

http://www.artisanwinedepot.com/v/vspfiles/photos/b-northcoastscrimshaw12oz6PACK-2.jpg

For my money, North Coast is the best brewery in the country (with both Rasputin and Pranqster being other favorites), and the Scrimshaw doesn't disappoint. It's a pilsner, but more akin to the traditional varieties of eastern Europe. Like good pilsners in this vein, it's a great balanced, drinkable beer. It's not crammed with flavor like so many craft brews these days, it's just damn refreshing. Another great one is Six Point's Crisp (a good adjective for these beers). Anybody else favor Czech pilsners?

WildcatFan
04-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Very good spot for quality brews. What's with the Restraunt / "Brewery" around the corner there? Something "River" if remember correctly? Are they brewing their own yet?

Glen Creek Brewery. They're not actually doing anything of their own. I've heard the beer list is pretty good, but that it's pricey. That building is cursed anyway, so I wouldn't expect to have them around long.

Johnny Footstool
04-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Speaking of great stouts, I'm going to pick up a six-pack of North Coast Scrimshaw on the way home.

http://www.artisanwinedepot.com/v/vspfiles/photos/b-northcoastscrimshaw12oz6PACK-2.jpg

For my money, North Coast is the best brewery in the country (with both Rasputin and Pranqster being other favorites), and the Scrimshaw doesn't disappoint. It's a pilsner, but more akin to the traditional varieties of eastern Europe. Like good pilsners in this vein, it's a great balanced, drinkable beer. It's not crammed with flavor like so many craft brews these days, it's just damn refreshing. Another great one is Six Point's Crisp (a good adjective for these beers). Anybody else favor Czech pilsners?

I'm a pilsner fan. Beer that tastes like beer is a truly great thing. I prefer straighforward pilsners and lagers like Scrimshaw and Stella.

Sea Ray
04-13-2013, 09:38 AM
If you're into Chocolate beers try the local Triple Digit brewery creation called Chickow:

http://tripledigitbrewing.com/our-beers/

I had it at the Incline Public House a week ago on the west side of town. It's truly a dessert beer. I wish my Mom was with me. She doesn't believe me when I say beer is so diverse right now that there's a beer for everyone and I think really think she'd like a few sips of that one. Personally I don't need that much chocolate in my beer but I admire the creativity

westofyou
05-03-2013, 05:32 PM
THE PDX PUBLIC TRANSIT BREWERY CRAWL
A brew tour with zero driving (http://www.thrillist.com/travel/portland/the-pdx-public-transit-brewery-crawl?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social)

BillDoran
05-03-2013, 08:11 PM
THE PDX PUBLIC TRANSIT BREWERY CRAWL
A brew tour with zero driving (http://www.thrillist.com/travel/portland/the-pdx-public-transit-brewery-crawl?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social)

Big fan of both Tugboat and Amnesia. Crazy how much the beer scene, let alone the city, has changed since I left four years ago.

Johnny Footstool
05-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Anyone know the closest place to Indianapolis that sells Yuengling?

Also, is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale available in Indiana?

gilpdawg
05-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Anyone know the closest place to Indianapolis that sells Yuengling?

I think you have to go to Ohio for Yuengling. It's only a little over an hour on 70 East. There's a little town called New Paris right past the line. I live there. We have Yuengling.

PedroBourbon
05-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Glen Creek Brewery. They're not actually doing anything of their own. I've heard the beer list is pretty good, but that it's pricey. That building is cursed anyway, so I wouldn't expect to have them around long.

Yes, Glen Creek was a disappointment to me. Historically bad location despite being so close to the popular Beer Trappe.

I'm a big fan of Country Boy Brewing and West-6th in Lexington. Both have fine and diverse products. Country Boy has a bigger selection, 24-25 taps with roughly half theirs and half "other" microbrews. W-6th is purely their product and not quite as diverse but all are outstanding beers. Anyone else been?

westofyou
05-06-2013, 06:44 PM
8 best beer towns in the USA (http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/06/travel/usa-beer-towns/index.html)

Johnny Footstool
05-07-2013, 12:49 AM
I think you have to go to Ohio for Yuengling. It's only a little over an hour on 70 East. There's a little town called New Paris right past the line. I live there. We have Yuengling.

I'm buying about 10 cases. Do the liquor stores there carry that much?

gilpdawg
05-07-2013, 02:53 AM

I'm not sure, actually. There's two places in town that sell beer, but this is a very small town. To get a real liquor store you have to go about 10 miles farther.

WildcatFan
05-07-2013, 12:51 PM

It is. Cavalier distributes it.

coachpipe
05-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is truly a wonderful thing

WildcatFan
05-07-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm a big fan of Country Boy Brewing and West-6th in Lexington. Both have fine and diverse products. Country Boy has a bigger selection, 24-25 taps with roughly half theirs and half "other" microbrews. W-6th is purely their product and not quite as diverse but all are outstanding beers. Anyone else been?

I frequent Country Boy, and it's even better than advertised. Those guys really know their stuff. If you like stouts and porters, I highly recommend the Amos Moses and Black Gold Porter. But Papaw's Red, which is aged in a Pappy Van Winkle barrel, is probably the best of the bunch. I'm also partial to the Nacho Bait, which has jalapeño in it.

West Sixth is particularly good if you like IPAs--their regular IPA is available around this area in cans, but the Double IPA is worth visiting the brewery itself for. I also like the Transylvania Tripel.

WildcatFan
05-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is truly a wonderful thing

Shameless plug alert (I happen to work at the brewery):

If you like the BBA, try to find the Bourbon Barrel Stout just launched a few months ago. Aged on coffee beans, and it's really good. We're also in the middle of a launch of the Kentucky IPA, and I've been pretty happy with it.

coachpipe
05-07-2013, 03:42 PM

If you like the BBA, try to find the Bourbon Barrel Stout just launched a few months ago. Aged on coffee beans, and it's really good. We're also in the middle of a launch of the Kentucky IPA, and I've been pretty happy with it.

looks like i need to be more of an alcoholic

Johnny Footstool
05-08-2013, 10:50 PM

I love the ale -- it tastes just like whiskey without the burn.

The stout tastes like just a gimmicky beer to me.

Johnny Footstool
05-08-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure, actually. There's two places in town that sell beer, but this is a very small town. To get a real liquor store you have to go about 10 miles farther.

Thanks for the info, gilpdawg. Sounds like I might have to make a run through a few towns to purchase the quantities I need.:beerme:

gilpdawg
05-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the info, gilpdawg. Sounds like I might have to make a run through a few towns to purchase the quantities I need.:beerme:

The convenience stores here in town carry high enough quantities to get through the "Sunday Hoosier Blitz" so you may be able to get enough without going to Eaton or Lewisburg. People who live here know to get their gas and smokes on Saturday because the stores are swamped with Indiana folks coming over from Richmond to get beer. It's literally 5 minutes from the state line (and I-70) so it's easy.

Sea Ray
05-09-2013, 03:13 PM

Probably but call ahead. It'll be a call they'll love to take...

TSJ55
05-11-2013, 09:10 AM

I heard that about the building. The beer list was decent, the food wasn't bad either. I won't be making the trip down 64 again solely for that spot. There are better places in Lexington I think. Country Boy Brewing, like you said, is another story altogether. Definitely my kind of place and worth the trip. I've never made to W.6th but obviously need to. I'm an IPA guy so...

PedroBourbon
05-12-2013, 11:08 AM
I frequent Country Boy, and it's even better than advertised. Those guys really know their stuff. If you like stouts and porters, I highly recommend the Amos Moses and Black Gold Porter. But Papaw's Red, which is aged in a Pappy Van Winkle barrel, is probably the best of the bunch. I'm also partial to the Nacho Bait, which has jalapeño in it.

West Sixth is particularly good if you like IPAs--their regular IPA is available around this area in cans, but the Double IPA is worth visiting the brewery itself for. I also like the Transylvania Tripel.

Totally agree about Country Boy. A true diamond in the rough. Great spectrum of quality beer. I like the Amos Moses as well. My faves are the Stampin' Ground stout, Jalapeno Porter, and Shotgun Wedding Stout. Despite my screen name, I'm actually not a big bourbon guy but I've heard only good things about the Pappy Van Winkle beer.

West 6th, IMO, has one of the best IPA in the business hands down. I'd put it right up there near Bell's Hopslam and that is considered one of the all time greats.

BTW, this is craft beer week in Lexington. (May 13-18.) There is a lot going on at the local brew pubs. If any of you guys and gals were ever pondering coming to Lexington to try out these places, this is the week to do it!

www.lexbeerscene.com is a good place to get an overview and links to the local spots.

WildcatFan
05-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Craft Beer Week is gonna be incredible. Pretty much every bar worth a damn in the city has special events going on. Beer trappe is featuring some rare Founders one night, which I couldn't be more excited about. Breakfast Day Friday at Country Boy should be great too. Featuring coffee stouts all day, serving breakfast food outside in a food truck, and Nate's Coffee will have a station. I tell you, Kentucky is really starting to throw its weight around in the beer culture. Louisville is also doing well with microbrews.

TSJ55
05-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Craft Beer Week is gonna be incredible. Pretty much every bar worth a damn in the city has special events going on. Beer trappe is featuring some rare Founders one night, which I couldn't be more excited about. Breakfast Day Friday at Country Boy should be great too. Featuring coffee stouts all day, serving breakfast food outside in a food truck, and Nate's Coffee will have a station. I tell you, Kentucky is really starting to throw its weight around in the beer culture. Louisville is also doing well with microbrews.

No doubt, I love it here. The cool thing about microbreweries is they seem to work together so often. It's not a cut-throat kind of thing. Collaborations are constantly in the making and they aren't afraid to help out the homebrewer either.

TSJ55
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Hey Wildcat, (or any one obviously) what do you know about this? I know this is just a blog site but it had a baseball reference at the end so I felt it was the better one to post.

http://consumerist.com/2013/05/22/magic-hat-sues-kentucky-brewer-over-its-logo/

Sea Ray
05-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Hey Wildcat, (or any one obviously) what do you know about this? I know this is just a blog site but it had a baseball reference at the end so I felt it was the better one to post.

I don't see any problem. They're clearly different logos.

WildcatFan
05-24-2013, 10:21 AM

That's been the talk of the town for the last few days. I'm not sure where I fall on the issue, although the initial lawsuit seemed silly. I don't see nearly enough similarities between the logos (interestingly, it's the color of the amber cans, not the actual green West Sixth logo that seems to cause issues).

Magic Hat is now alleging a smear campaign by West Sixth, and I've heard that the Facebook campaign has actually resulted in at least two restaurants in town removing Magic Hat from their taps. Some people think West Sixth has gone too far in the "big business vs. small business" angle, and they might be right, but I honestly don't know why Magic Hat just hasn't dropped it. It's not like they're direct competitors.

Sea Ray
06-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Hey has anyone tried the Bud Black Crown beer yet? Know of any bars that have it on tap or in bottles? I'd like to try it there rather than commit to a 12 pack at the store.

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2013, 01:51 PM
I go through waves with beer. Sometimes I get on a big scotch/bourbon/whiskey kick and don't touch beer and then sometimes I go back to beer and don't touch the others. Right now I'm on a huge beer kick.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm295/thebrewclub/MothersMilkBeer.jpg

I recently tried Keegan Ales' Mother's Milk, which is an incredible Stout beer made in the Hudson Valley in Kingston, NY.

http://web.mit.edu/~tcarlile/www/images/blog/653samichlaus.jpg

I also had Samichlaus Bier and it was ridiculously awesome. 14% by volume. It really tastes like a scotch, except it's a beer. It's only brewed once a year on December 6th and is aged 10 months. It's not easy to find and it's not cheap, but well worth it if you can find it.

Lastly, I agree with a prior poster who said Belgium does beer best. I tend to agree. There's a lot of quality and consistency there.

bigredmechanism
06-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I recently tried Keegan Ales' Mother's Milk, which is an incredible Stout beer made in the Hudson Valley in Kingston, NY.

I was thisclose to getting that today at lunch. Kinda bummed I didn't now. Ended up with an IPA from Kane, which was okay.

I also had Samichlaus Bier and it was ridiculously awesome. 14% by volume. It really tastes like a scotch, except it's a beer. It's only brewed once a year on December 6th and is aged 10 months. It's not easy to find and it's not cheap, but well worth it if you can find it.

Lastly, I agree with a prior poster who said Belgium does beer best. I tend to agree. There's a lot of quality and consistency there.

Samichlaus is so solid. I haven't had one in a few years but the picture you posted brought back good memories. They really straddle the sweet/strong line perfectly.

Captain13
06-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Hey has anyone tried the Bud Black Crown beer yet? Know of any bars that have it on tap or in bottles? I'd like to try it there rather than commit to a 12 pack at the store.

I've tried it. It's clearly not my favorite, but once I have 2 or 3 "good" beers I switch back to it. I have two of my 12-pack left, once it's gone I won't be buying more.

Captain13
06-04-2013, 04:29 PM
My new favorite beer is the Ayinger Dunkel. I tried it at Moerlein when visiting Memorial Day weekend. I had one Friday night and again Saturday. Now I have to find it in a local store.

Sea Ray
06-04-2013, 04:58 PM
My new favorite beer is the Ayinger Dunkel. I tried it at Moerlein when visiting Memorial Day weekend. I had one Friday night and again Saturday. Now I have to find it in a local store.

Dark Munich style lagers are right up my alley. I know they're not as adventuresome as many ales but it's what I crave. I appreciate the tip!

fearofpopvol1
06-04-2013, 06:31 PM
I was thisclose to getting that today at lunch. Kinda bummed I didn't now. Ended up with an IPA from Kane, which was okay.

It's a must try! It has a slight chocolate/malt/caramel tinge to it, but it's not overpowering at all (and I say that as someone who doesn't like chocolate beer). I also find that this beer is not as heavy as say a Guiness, but it doesn't compromise the taste either. It's still very much a stout.

Samichlaus is so solid. I haven't had one in a few years but the picture you posted brought back good memories. They really straddle the sweet/strong line perfectly.

Agreed! You hit the nail on the head because it does nail the sweet/strong line perfectly. And just 1 of those will give you 1 helluva kick. Apparently there is a place in Brooklyn where you can buy a 4 pack for a fair price. Have yet to make it there though to check it out.

Australian Red
06-06-2013, 07:11 PM
What does a standard pint of beercost at a Bar/Pub in Cincinatti?

westofyou
06-06-2013, 07:16 PM

In Portland it is $4.50 (Unless you're a regular and you get happy hour prices all the time like me) then it's $3.50

Australian Red
06-06-2013, 07:26 PM
In Portland it is $4.50 (Unless you're a regular and you get happy hour prices all the time like me) then it's $3.50

So about $5aud i think i can live with that considering standard pints are about $8 here.

reds1869
06-06-2013, 08:03 PM

It varies wildly based on location and what is on tap. In my neighborhood (Downtown) a pint usually runs $4-7 but less with discounts for happy hour.

SporkLover
06-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Anyone ever been to a flying saucer location? http://www.beerknurd.com/stores/

Kind of like Moerlein, but with a much Better beer selection and much better priced. Unfortunately none in Ohio, and it looks like none of their locations are near any sports venues (St Louis location looks close to Busch).

Awesome place, if you love beer and are near one, I highly recommend it!

reds1869
06-08-2013, 08:47 PM
I've been in love with Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger lately. Worth a shot for the IPA fans.

Sea Ray
06-08-2013, 10:36 PM
It varies wildly based on location and what is on tap. In my neighborhood (Downtown) a pint usually runs $4-7 but less with discounts for happy hour.

At the Banks (which is downtown near the Reds/Bengals Stadia) a glass of beer is about 7-8 bucks. In the 'burbs it's more $4-6. You can get deals for cheap American beer like Miller or Bud Lite for about $2 but that's not my thing

TSJ55
06-11-2013, 06:43 AM
I've been tempted purchase a sixer of Alimony Ale for awhile now but something was holding me back. On Saturday I finally gave in...should have remained w/ my gut. So bad. Tin lined Tupperware comes to mind. It was the worst IPA I've had in quite a long time. Anybody else had this? Thoughts?

reds1869
06-11-2013, 11:33 PM
At the Banks (which is downtown near the Reds/Bengals Stadia) a glass of beer is about 7-8 bucks.

At Moerlein (which I love), yes. Anywhere else at the Banks you'll pay less. They will drill you a bit on game day, though. Believe me, I live here and know the beer offerings a little too well. :laugh:

On the topic of downtown beer deals, check out Nicholson's happy hour. $3 drafts of some really good beer.

bucksfan2
06-12-2013, 10:59 AM
At Moerlein (which I love), yes. Anywhere else at the Banks you'll pay less. They will drill you a bit on game day, though. Believe me, I live here and know the beer offerings a little too well. :laugh:

On the topic of downtown beer deals, check out Nicholson's happy hour. $3 drafts of some really good beer.

Really? I am not a big fan of Moerlein. I think the beer is pretty meh, nothing great, nothing bad. I also think the food is a little pricey and meh as well. Don't get me wrong I love going down there, especially to the lawn outside, before Reds game I just wish their beer was better.

fearofpopvol1
06-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Went to Whole Foods and they let you build your own 6 pack (at least the one here does) and they have a great selection there.

Here is what I got...

https://untappd.s3.amazonaws.com/photo/2013_05_16/6ba72781abb6316a4a32531f903dcc0c_320x320.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma7e0rObix1qf5nfwo1_500.jpg

http://d2qdgu53yc9lue.cloudfront.net/deal/de_1791_lg.jpg

http://thedailypint.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/stonepy.jpg

http://gracethespot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/8.jpg

http://mfarkas2.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/3576990029_92e43c8347.jpg

Total came to $24 for the 6 pack. Not a great deal to be honest, but even at an average price of $4 a bottle, that's still cheaper than going to a bar here easily. These beers would probably go for $7-8 each.

reds1869
06-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Really? I am not a big fan of Moerlein. I think the beer is pretty meh, nothing great, nothing bad. I also think the food is a little pricey and meh as well. Don't get me wrong I love going down there, especially to the lawn outside, before Reds game I just wish their beer was better.

I rarely drink their beer, I usually get the guest drafts. They always have things on tap that aren't listed if you ask the right servers or bartenders. As for the food, I love it for what it is and think the prices are ok. In fairness I dine almost exclusively in Downtown and OTR, so Moerlein's prices are fairly expected.

Sea Ray
06-13-2013, 12:04 AM

I found the prices at Yardhouse to be about $7-8 beer. Am I off on that?

Sea Ray
06-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Went to Whole Foods and they let you build your own 6 pack (at least the one here does) and they have a great selection there.

Here is what I got...

Total came to $24 for the 6 pack. Not a great deal to be honest, but even at an average price of $4 a bottle, that's still cheaper than going to a bar here easily. These beers would probably go for $7-8 each.

Whoa. That's a lot of IPAs. Those EBUs gotta be givin' you a bitter beer face, I'd think...

Sea Ray
06-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Anyone ever done the Jungle Jims Beer Fest? It's this weekend and it seems pretty pricey but I was wondering if anyone here had tried it and if so, was it worth the price?

reds1869
06-13-2013, 07:38 AM
I found the prices at Yardhouse to be about $7-8 beer. Am I off on that?

I went last night and now have to admit I never order off the regular price menu. I always go at happy hour and pay $3-5. You are correct about the regular prices. Since I start work early in the morning and get off at 2:30, I tend to view happy hour as regular pricing for dinner. :)

bucksfan2
06-13-2013, 09:09 AM
I rarely drink their beer, I usually get the guest drafts. They always have things on tap that aren't listed if you ask the right servers or bartenders. As for the food, I love it for what it is and think the prices are ok. In fairness I dine almost exclusively in Downtown and OTR, so Moerlein's prices are fairly expected.

I have only eaten at the Moerlein house a couple of times and felt the food was average. Nothing wrong with it but nothing that made me say wow. For the most part I am a lager, helles, and pilsner drinker and I think Moerline doesn't do a really good job in that area. Heck the Rivertown Helles puts anything Moerline makes to shame in the lighter category. I guess I could go with the guest drafts but never have really strayed.

As for the Yardhouse I have only been once but was pretty impressed. I thought the building looked cool, they had every kind of beer you could imagine, and the menu was large, but both my and my wife's meal was good. It was a little pricey but I really don't mind that. I did get recommended a $12 beer that was about 8% alcohol. I was told it was the best beer the server had ever had. But not exactly the right thing to drink when you had to drive home.

reds1869
06-13-2013, 09:28 AM
I have only eaten at the Moerlein house a couple of times and felt the food was average. Nothing wrong with it but nothing that made me say wow. For the most part I am a lager, helles, and pilsner drinker and I think Moerline doesn't do a really good job in that area. Heck the Rivertown Helles puts anything Moerline makes to shame in the lighter category. I guess I could go with the guest drafts but never have really strayed.

As for the Yardhouse I have only been once but was pretty impressed. I thought the building looked cool, they had every kind of beer you could imagine, and the menu was large, but both my and my wife's meal was good. It was a little pricey but I really don't mind that. I did get recommended a $12 beer that was about 8% alcohol. I was told it was the best beer the server had ever had. But not exactly the right thing to drink when you had to drive home.

I agree about Moerlein's lighter beers. To be honest I can't stand that type of beer, I'm a strong ale, IPA and Belgian guy myself. If you are looking for something different next time you are at Moerlein, order a Duchesse du Borgone. It is the brewmaster's favorite and will knock your socks off one way or another. If you like over the top sour flavor it delivers. If not, The 12% alcohol delivers in a different way!

fearofpopvol1
06-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Whoa. That's a lot of IPAs. Those EBUs gotta be givin' you a bitter beer face, I'd think...

I like IPAs a lot. But think of it this way...it's really only the equivalent of buying a 6 pack of IPAs.

westofyou
06-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I like IPAs a lot. But think of it this way...it's really only the equivalent of buying a 6 pack of IPAs.

Live fir the IPA, probably 98% of my beer are IPAs

wolfboy
06-20-2013, 10:45 AM

I love IPAs in the summer and heartier belgian beers in the winter.

forfreelin04
06-22-2013, 02:25 AM
Just wanted everyone to know I'll be attending the World Beer Festival in Cleveland on July 13th and would encourage those able to attend. I went to it in Durham several years ago, and it was fantastic.

reds1869
06-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Just wanted everyone to know I'll be attending the World Beer Festival in Cleveland on July 13th and would encourage those able to attend. I went to it in Durham several years ago, and it was fantastic.

Sounds like a great time!

GAC
06-28-2013, 05:12 AM

Love dem IPA's.

I had a Back In Black IPA, as well as a Stone IPA, for the first time last week at a local restaurant that opened up here in the last year. Very enjoyable.

My buddy home brews an IPA, as well as a Dunkel, that are superb. He told me yesterday that he got a recipe for an Irish stout he's ready to try. So am I.

WildcatFan
07-31-2013, 12:10 PM

Tried a bottle of the Mikkeller 19 IPA from Belgium last night, and it was OUTSTANDING. Brewed with 19 different strands of hops, but it has that nice cloudy wheat flavor you expect from Belgians. There's a chance it's my favorite IPA, if you can find it.

Evil Twin, which is a brewery I'm really getting into, has one called Yang that is nice, as well.

TSJ55
07-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Tried a bottle of the Mikkeller 19 IPA from Belgium last night, and it was OUTSTANDING. Brewed with 19 different strands of hops, but it has that nice cloudy wheat flavor you expect from Belgians. There's a chance it's my favorite IPA, if you can find it.

Evil Twin, which is a brewery I'm really getting into, has one called Yang that is nice, as well.

Had their regular IPA, Falco, last Saturday with a really good pepper-jack venison burger here in Louisville. Both were pretty tasty.

Australian Red
08-01-2013, 01:44 AM
I'm going to be investing in this soon looks good if not a little pricey.

http://danmurphys.com.au/list/tapking

Roy Tucker
08-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Kinda late, but head on over to Rivertown Brewery for a taste of my son Zach's first try at commercial beer.... a melon IPA. Open 5-10 pm.

http://rivertownbrewery.com/

New Beer Alert!

A month ago Zach Leetch and I brewed his amazing Mango IPA. Brewed with 5 pounds of delicious ripe mangos and hopped with Citra, Galaxy, Amarillo, and Columbus Hops. Come try this seriously tasty brew for tonight only! Tap room here at Rivertown is open 5-10. — with Zach Leetch at Rivertown Brewing Company

Sea Ray
08-19-2013, 04:19 PM
If you're someone who loves to taste beers, a can't miss event is coming this weekend to Sawyer Pt on the river here in Cincinnati. It's called Brew Ha, Ha and I think it's the best beer tasting event in Cincinnati. Unlike other events that are either overpriced or make you buy 25 beer tickets, this one only costs $5 to enter and then you can drink as much or as little as you like for a buck a ticket. That means that the entire night will probably cost you no more than $20. Furthermore, it's well setup in that they give you a brochure when you check in and it has a nice description of each of the 100 beers so you have an idea of what you want to try.

Hope to see you there!. I'll be guy sipping Oktoberfest beers hoping to hear fireworks coming from GABP

http://www.cincybrewhaha.com/

Sea Ray
08-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Kinda late, but head on over to Rivertown Brewery for a taste of my son Zach's first try at commercial beer.... a melon IPA. Open 5-10 pm.

That sounds perfectly awful but I like Rivertown as a brewery and congrats to your son for doing something fun with his life. We all wish we could earn paychecks for brewing / talking beer.

CoachBombay
08-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Firefly amber. Brewed in the one and only JackieOs in Athens Ohio. Heard a bar in Hyde PArk is actually selling it now. If you have never had it, I highly recommend it

Roy Tucker
08-24-2013, 03:29 PM
That sounds perfectly awful but I like Rivertown as a brewery and congrats to your son for doing something fun with his life. We all wish we could earn paychecks for brewing / talking beer.

It was a mango IPA (so I can't read) and they sold out by 8 pm. Talking now about making another batch and bottling it. I guess it was a hit. Not my cup of tea though.

Him earning a paycheck at that? Hah. He's a volunteer brewer just trying to learn how its done. He already works 60 hrs. a week as a chef so when he opens his own restaurant, he'll brew his own beer as well. The boy is crazy.

Roy Tucker
08-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Firefly amber. Brewed in the one and only JackieOs in Athens Ohio. Heard a bar in Hyde PArk is actually selling it now. If you have never had it, I highly recommend it

My daughter made a pilgrimage to Jackie O's because they started selling Mystic Mama in cans. They've got some Jackie' O's beers on tap at Flip Daddy's here too.

Jackie O's is a pretty cool place. I've been there the last 2 dad's weekends at OU. They have beer tastings and then we stay for 3-4 (5, 6, 7...) hours. The owner/brewer is an interesting guy. We talked to him about his beers for quite a while.

reds1869
08-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Brew Ha Ha was fun last night. Tried a ton of great beer and really enjoyed Tom Arnold. Green Flash Double Stout was my favorite drink of the evening.

westofyou
08-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Beer cost by ounce at parks

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/23380443

Sea Ray
09-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Beer cost by ounce at parks

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/23380443

Shows that we're pretty pricey and that was my impression as well. At least we do have some good craft beer choices. I wonder why St Louis is so high? Wouldn't you think they'd get a deal on Bud products?

BillDoran
09-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Made my way through Wisconsin recently and had a chance to pick up some New Glarus beer. Two Women and Edel Pils were both phenomenal. Both super clean and crisp pilsners. Probably some of the best American-brewed pilsners I've had the chance to drink. I've also had Spotted Cow in the past, and that was great as well.

New Glarus ranks right up there as one of my favorite breweries in the Midwest. Unfortunately, they don't distribute outside of Wisconsin.

Sea Ray
09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Anyone else going to the Inaugural Beer Baron's Ball tonight at the Casino? I'll be one in the black tux...don't get to wear that too often. Since this Ball is the first one I don't know what to expect but it sounds like fun.

Aside from that, there is a beer event on Fountain Square but I'm not a fan of this one because the money spent is weighted towards the fund raiser portion and not so much towards the beer. It works like this: You pay about $40 bucks and for that you get more beer than you can drink--25 beer "tastes" of 5 oz each. Nobody needs that much. Oktoberfest 100% of your money goes towards beer since there is no cover. Brew Ha Ha has a $5 cover and even with that, you'll only spend about $20 total for an evening of beer. You're looking at twice that much at the event this weekend.

Having said that, the Beer Baron's Ball is also a find raiser but many black tie events are and at least we'll get food as well. I'll have to see whether it's worth it, but it's a completely different kind of event than these street beer festivals

WildcatFan
09-12-2013, 11:11 AM
You pay about $40 bucks and for that you get more beer than you can drink--25 beer "tastes" of 5 oz each. Nobody needs that much.

We had a Fest of Ales a couple weekends ago in Lexington, and it was $25 for 20 tastes. After 17 I had to tap out. I hope you're taking a cab, is all I'm saying. It was a blast, though.

Roy Tucker
09-12-2013, 01:49 PM
So anyone know anything about Rheingeist brewery in OTR? My hipster son wants to take me there.

Sea Ray
09-12-2013, 02:00 PM
So anyone know anything about Rheingeist brewery in OTR? My hipster son wants to take me there.

They're known for their hoppy ales, particularly IPAs. I had one this week at Stone Creek in West Chester. I thought it was a pretty good IPA but those are not for me. I'm a lager guy. Must be my German roots

They're located near Findlay St Market in the very old Christian Moerlein brewery building...the one from like 100 yrs ago.

I like their name. It means ghost of the Rhine (river) in German

bucksfan2
09-12-2013, 02:04 PM

It is on the top floor of the old Christian Moreline brewery. Its a pretty cool place, the beer is good but so far production is limited so you can only get it there and at a few restaurants in OTR. I would recommend going but wouldn't go if its a hot day because they don't have AC.

Sea Ray
09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
The Beer Baron's Ball was excellent last night. A first class event indeed. I was particularly impressed with the food. They had several "islands" set up where you could get your fill of food like rare prime rib, sauteed shrimp w/ pasta, mashed potatoes with a host of toppings that you could add yourself, huge Bavarian pretzels, hot dogs in kraut, potato pancakes, lucious desserts and much more. All these islands had the same options so lines were not a problem. The beer choices were limited to 4 kinds of Christian Moerlein but that was fine. I'd definitely recommend this event

Roy Tucker
09-13-2013, 12:07 PM
We went to Neon's instead of Rheingeist. Cranky old Dad had been house painting all day and wanted food ;) But now I know a hipster place to go.

Pretty cool place and good beer. I had a Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro which was very good. Also had a Bear Republic Black Racer which was quite potent. Burgers from Taste 513 and one of the better burgers I've had in a long time.

Really nice outdoor patio, but what's with everyone bringing dogs to bars?

vaticanplum
09-13-2013, 12:14 PM

I went there the last time I was in town and really enjoyed it. Loved the IPA in particular (I think it was the IPA?) and it's a beautiful building. If you manage to go again and are still hungry, Roy, there's food cart out front (of course there's a food cart out front) that sells delicious gourmet pizza.

And then we went to Neon's, so I guess we are all pretty predictable over on this board.

dabvu2498
09-13-2013, 12:22 PM
We went to Neon's instead of Rheingeist. Cranky old Dad had been house painting all day and wanted food ;) But now I know a hipster place to go.

Pretty cool place and good beer. I had a Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro which was very good. Also had a Bear Republic Black Racer which was quite potent. Burgers from Taste 513 and one of the better burgers I've had in a long time.

Really nice outdoor patio, but what's with everyone bringing dogs to bars?

Hey Roy, if you're a Masonite and a beer guy, have you tried out Lucky Dog Cafe? Their food is pretty much standard bar fare, with their wings being slightly better than average. It's a non descript kinda place, in the plaza behind Speedway, across the street from Brazenhead on Tylersville. But their beer selection is solid.

http://www.luckydoggrille.com/files/2851/WebPage06.2013.jpg

Sea Ray
09-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Aside from that, there is a beer event on Fountain Square but I'm not a fan of this one because the money spent is weighted towards the fund raiser portion and not so much towards the beer. It works like this: You pay about $40 bucks and for that you get more beer than you can drink--25 beer "tastes" of 5 oz each. Nobody needs that much. Oktoberfest 100% of your money goes towards beer since there is no cover. Brew Ha Ha has a $5 cover and even with that, you'll only spend about $20 total for an evening of beer. You're looking at twice that much at the event this weekend.

Having said that, the Beer Baron's Ball is also a find raiser but many black tie events are and at least we'll get food as well. I'll have to see whether it's worth it, but it's a completely different kind of event than these street beer festivals

In looking over some other sources including their website, I want to issue a correction. They do have other options in addition to the $40 one. If you go the day of the event (either tonight or tomorrow night) you can get in for as little as $15. This gives you enough for either two beers or five 5 oz. tastings. Additional beers are $5/beer or $2/tasting. So in other words, you pay a $5 fee to get in and with that you get a plastic 5 oz glass. I think that's reasonable and I'll now endorse this event if you're looking for something like this to do this weekend. I'll also add that Fri night is usually much less crowded than Sat...:beerme:

Roy Tucker
09-13-2013, 02:16 PM
I went there the last time I was in town and really enjoyed it. Loved the IPA in particular (I think it was the IPA?) and it's a beautiful building. If you manage to go again and are still hungry, Roy, there's food cart out front (of course there's a food cart out front) that sells delicious gourmet pizza.

And then we went to Neon's, so I guess we are all pretty predictable over on this board.

My taste buds have gone other places and I really can't tolerate IPA's. Way too piney and they give me headaches. So I guess I'll never get my hipster card. I'll just keep my Golden Buckeye card ;) I guess we fit the profile.

Zach said they only had food trucks on weekends. And cranky old bastard dad was hungry.

Roy Tucker
09-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Hey Roy, if you're a Masonite and a beer guy, have you tried out Lucky Dog Cafe? Their food is pretty much standard bar fare, with their wings being slightly better than average. It's a non descript kinda place, in the plaza behind Speedway, across the street from Brazenhead on Tylersville. But their beer selection is solid.

http://www.luckydoggrille.com/files/2851/WebPage06.2013.jpg

Actually yes, we've been there a couple times. For whatever reason, it hasn't gotten worked into our normal rotation. We usually go to Campioni's down the road on 42 and Western Row for pizza and cheap beer.

Actually, the building that Lucky Dog is in used to be the local BW3 and we went there a lot when it was still suburban cool and just a bit funky. Then they built that mogombo BW3 the size of an aircraft carrier down the road.

TSJ55
09-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Interesting article on the state of US Craft Beer and different markers.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101033090

Sea Ray
09-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Has anyone here ever gone to the annual Great American Beer Festival in Denver? I'm treating myself to it in two weeks. I've heard that it is the Beer Festival to go to. I don't know about 1 oz samples; sounds a little wimpy to me but we'll see. I heard that it sold out in 20 mins. Lucky that there's stub Hub...

Sea Ray
10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Has anyone here ever gone to the annual Great American Beer Festival in Denver? I'm treating myself to it in two weeks. I've heard that it is the Beer Festival to go to. I don't know about 1 oz samples; sounds a little wimpy to me but we'll see. I heard that it sold out in 20 mins. Lucky that there's stub Hub...

This was a lot of fun. They had over 3000 beers there making it the prestigious place to get an award. They broke the beer down into 84 different categories including coffee beer, chocolate beer, Bavarian Pilsner, German Pilsner and experimental beer. Cincinnati dominated the Bock beers. Sam Adams (Cincinnati site) took the gold and Christian Moerlein took the silver. Here's the entire list of winners:

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

I attended a class at the festival that described how they judge those beers. It's not just on taste but on whether it meets the expectations of that class of beer. For instance they expect an IPA to be bitter whereas they would mark down a lager for that same quality.

I sampled my first Pumpkin Lager. Usually those are Ales.

Beer dominated the area like a Super Bowl. Everyone you ran into at the airport, hotel or on the street was talking beer. In fact Denver decided to piggyback its own beer festival that week although I didn't attend that. I was able to bounce around the numerous craft beer pubs around Coors Field. They had some tasty food too. They had an event where a chef cooked food on a stage and then they passed around samples along with a cup of beer to show how you pair food with beer. That's kind of the latest thing in the craft beer scene--seeing how food pairings enhance a beer

Even though these tickets sold out in July in 20 mins there were plenty to be had on Stub Hub. I think if I lived in the area, I'd not necessarily splurge every year and buy tickets but I'd try to do what I could to be a volunteer. There were lots of volunteers and they got generous pours to my eye as they they were allowed to imbibe.

This place was more about volume than quality. This weekend I'm headed up to the Fall Beer Festival in Detroit. I've only attended this once before but for my tastes it had the most "home runs" I've ever experienced at a tasting. Maybe it's because I prefer Fall-Winter beers but I also think it has something to do with the quality of Michigan beer. IMO Michigan beer quality is above and beyond Colorado even though in terms of production that state is #1 in the country with 240 breweries. Mich has 140. We'll see if I just happened upon a good day or if that Detroit show really is tops, but I'm looking forward to it

Chip R
10-22-2013, 10:56 AM
This was a lot of fun. They had over 3000 beers there making it the prestigious place to get an award. They broke the beer down into 84 different categories including coffee beer, chocolate beer, Bavarian Pilsner, German Pilsner and experimental beer. Cincinnati dominated the Bock beers. Sam Adams (Cincinnati site) took the gold and Christian Moerlein took the silver. Here's the entire list of winners:

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

OK, I just looked at that list and my mind was blown because I saw that Old Style won 2 silver medals and Natural Ice won a gold. Who judged these categories, drunken frat boys? If those were the winners, I'd hate to drink what didn't win.

Sea Ray
10-22-2013, 02:56 PM
OK, I just looked at that list and my mind was blown because I saw that Old Style won 2 silver medals and Natural Ice won a gold. Who judged these categories, drunken frat boys? If those were the winners, I'd hate to drink what didn't win.

Yeah, I noticed that too and the answer to your question has more to do with the category than the nasty tasting beer that won. In other words, don't drink American Style Cream Ale. Given that there were 84 different categories, you won't "like" all of them. Miller Lite and Miller High Life won as well. I'd like to know what they consider an American Light Lager. At the class I attended they only showed us two of the 84 categories. If I'd had this list in front of me, I would have liked to ask them about the American Cream Ale and Light Lager categories.

Bottomline is that for craft beer drinkers, American Cream Ale and Light Lager are nasty beers but we're in the minority. By sales nationwide, Bud Light and Coors Light are #1 and 2 by a long shot.(Natty Ice is also in the top 20).

FWIW, I would only touch 4 of those top 20 beers (Yuengling, Heineken, Modelo Especial, and Corona

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2013/01/11/top-20-selling-beers-of-2012.html?page=all

bucksfan2
10-23-2013, 03:45 PM
FWIW, I would only touch 4 of those top 20 beers (Yuengling, Heineken, Modelo Especial, and Corona

Really? I will drink Miller Lite, Bud Light, Bud and Coors Light depending on the situation. They aren't my favorite, I would prefer a micro brew with a little more taste, but I don't mind the mass produced popular brews. Now I won't touch an ice beer or Nati or Beast, been there done that. Heck I generally have a few Miller Lite's floating around in the fridge, mostly leftovers from softball.

Sea Ray
10-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Really? I will drink Miller Lite, Bud Light, Bud and Coors Light depending on the situation. They aren't my favorite, I would prefer a micro brew with a little more taste, but I don't mind the mass produced popular brews. Now I won't touch an ice beer or Nati or Beast, been there done that. Heck I generally have a few Miller Lite's floating around in the fridge, mostly leftovers from softball.

I'm not a lite beer guy. Might as well drink water

WildcatFan
10-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too and the answer to your question has more to do with the category than the nasty tasting beer that won. In other words, don't drink American Style Cream Ale. Given that there were 84 different categories, you won't "like" all of them. Miller Lite and Miller High Life won as well. I'd like to know what they consider an American Light Lager. At the class I attended they only showed us two of the 84 categories. If I'd had this list in front of me, I would have liked to ask them about the American Cream Ale and Light Lager categories.

Bottomline is that for craft beer drinkers, American Cream Ale and Light Lager are nasty beers but we're in the minority. By sales nationwide, Bud Light and Coors Light are #1 and 2 by a long shot.(Natty Ice is also in the top 20).

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2013/01/11/top-20-selling-beers-of-2012.html?page=all

That's an interesting list of winners. I was surprised that some of the big boys in the craft scene weren't there (Boston Beer Co., Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada, Stone) or else they didn't win anything, which would be a shocker. I'd love to get hold of the list of entries as well.

Sea Ray
10-25-2013, 08:12 AM
That's an interesting list of winners. I was surprised that some of the big boys in the craft scene weren't there (Boston Beer Co., Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada, Stone) or else they didn't win anything, which would be a shocker. I'd love to get hold of the list of entries as well.

Isn't Boston Beer Co the same as Sam Adams? Like I said earlier, Sam Adams won the gold for their Doppelbock.

It's tough to win medals at this competition. They first have to get entered. They only accept a limited number of entries. Then you have to transport your beer their in god shape. Then you need some good luck. Christian Moerlein is thrilled with their medal and are touting it:

Winning a medal at GABF is mind-bogglingly hard. It's a huge competition, and being an excellent beer is only one (albeit the most important) criteria. It's a competition that rewards strict adherence to style (and the styles shift a little every year). You have to get your beer to Denver in good shape. Heck, you have to make sure you are even able to get your beer entered since there's a set number of entrants allowed. To win at GABF is really threading the needle. You have to be good, but things also have to break your way. That's why it's perfectly justified to be really, really happy if you win, but you shouldn't get down on yourself too much if you don't. You'll never know who came in fourth, after all...
http://www.hoperatives.com/?p=15434

bucksfan2
10-25-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm not a lite beer guy. Might as well drink water

I like to drink my beer not eat it.

I prefer beers on the lighter side of things. Pilsners, Lagers, some Ales, some IPS's, as well as Oktoberfest's. I have tried the beers on the darker end of the spectrum and never really liked them. Now I get hellatious hangovers if I have just a few dark beers.

Sea Ray
10-25-2013, 10:00 AM
I like to drink my beer not eat it.

I prefer beers on the lighter side of things. Pilsners, Lagers, some Ales, some IPS's, as well as Oktoberfest's. I have tried the beers on the darker end of the spectrum and never really liked them. Now I get hellatious hangovers if I have just a few dark beers.

I largely agree with you but I also want some taste. Coors lite has no taste. To a German (and that's my heritage) drinking an English Ale is like drinking maple syrup. That's where I come from. I like the smoothness of the lagers but I want a full bodied taste. I find Oktoberfests and Bocks fit that bill nicely.

Chip R
11-06-2013, 08:38 PM
No more Old Style at Wrigley Field.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chicago-cubs-old-style-beer-wgn-tv-next-211600838--mlb.html

fearofpopvol1
11-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Have tried a lot of new beers over the last few months. I've been eyeing this thread, but I think taking the time to grab pictures of everything may not be as productive this time. I'm going to try to come back and post more when I have a bit more time of the stuff I've tried.

A week ago, I was in Vermont and bought a couple cases of this just a few days ahead of them closing the brewery from the Public.

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2011/10/14/1318609962_4471/539w.jpg

Great stuff. I really enjoy it...but I will say this...for all of the accolades it's been receiving from enthusiasts and the media alike, I think the hype is a bit too much. For instance, I think the Burton Baton Imperial IPA that Dogfish Head makes is every bit as good as Heady Topper is. There were people next to me who had driven from Connecticut, New Hampshire, and New York (and told me they had done this multiple times!) just to pick up a single case. And that was on top of having to wait 2 hours to get the case in line! I thought that was crazy, but the next time I'm back in Indianapolis, I'm thinking about making the trek to Munster to go the Three Floyds brewery, so maybe it's not that crazy (although the difference is I would just make the trek once). I happened to be enjoying a trip to Vermont so it wasn't out of the way for me at all.

Sea Ray
11-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Here's a story fresh off the Presses that I am very excited about. The former Listermann brewer is starting his own brewpub restaurant in an old church on Race St in Over the Rhine. It'll be a great concept in that it'll combine beer with reasonably priced steaks. I've found these sorts of places to be quite appealing being both a carnivore and a craft beer lover. One such place is called Redwood Lodge in Flint, MI. It's really a very good concept.

Here's the full story:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2013/11/27/once-condemned-otr-church-will-become.html

GAC
11-28-2013, 11:28 AM
I've been enjoying this one as of late...

http://theaposition.com/tombedell/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2010/09/GI-harvest-ale.jpg

As well as Samuel Adam's Winter lager.

I didn't care as much for Yuengling's Oktoberfest in comparison to Samuel Adams.

Redhook
11-28-2013, 12:00 PM
I've been enjoying this one as of late...

http://theaposition.com/tombedell/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2010/09/GI-harvest-ale.jpg

I love Goose Island. I bought the 12-pack sampler today at Kroger's. Harvest Ale is my favorite followed by Honker's and then their IPA. All very good though.

jimbo
11-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Here's a story fresh off the Presses that I am very excited about. The former Listermann brewer is starting his own brewpub restaurant in an old church on Race St in Over the Rhine. It'll be a great concept in that it'll combine beer with reasonably priced steaks. I've found these sorts of places to be quite appealing being both a carnivore and a craft beer lover. One such place is called Redwood Lodge in Flint, MI. It's really a very good concept.

Here's the full story:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2013/11/27/once-condemned-otr-church-will-become.html

If you're ever in Pittsburgh, check out the Church Brew Works. Got the chance to go over the summer while in the area visiting a friend of mine. I didn't get to try the food, but the beer was excellent and the place was really unique. We had a hard time leaving because we wanted to try every beer, so it's fair to say that when we did leave, we were feeling pretty good.

http://www.churchbrew.com/

Redhook
11-28-2013, 09:06 PM
If you're ever in Pittsburgh

You lost me here. :p

Sea Ray
12-01-2013, 11:52 AM
If you're ever in Pittsburgh, check out the Church Brew Works. Got the chance to go over the summer while in the area visiting a friend of mine. I didn't get to try the food, but the beer was excellent and the place was really unique. We had a hard time leaving because we wanted to try every beer, so it's fair to say that when we did leave, we were feeling pretty good.

http://www.churchbrew.com/

Thanks for the tip. For whatever reason, I've never made it up to Pittsburgh. But I will sometime and when I do I'll need to know where to visit.

Anyone have any craft brews or brewpubs to recommend in the Cleveland area? I'll be spending some time up there in January/February and I'll have some time to kill. I'm familiar with Great Lakes but not much else

dabvu2498
12-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I love Goose Island. I bought the 12-pack sampler today at Kroger's. Harvest Ale is my favorite followed by Honker's and then their IPA. All very good though.

Goose Island makes a good product. However, they've sold out to A-B and are no longer truly "craft beer."

If you're looking for the finest in winter beers, track down some Highland Cold Mountain. Good luck with your search and if you find any in SWO, let me know.

Sea Ray
12-02-2013, 12:28 PM
This beer that I discovered on tap at the Moerlein Lager House is the best Christmas beer I've had this yr, edging out Great Lakes X-mas Ale:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1471/14440

WildcatFan
12-04-2013, 12:10 PM
It's Christmas ale season, and I couldn't be more excited.

So far, Three Floyds Alpha Klaus and Schlafly's Christmas have been my favorites.

If you're in Lexington, definitely check out West Sixth's new Christmas Ale. It's pretty stout at 9%, but nice and spicy and will make you feel all warm inside. Compares favorably to Great Lakes.

NoCalRed
12-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Had a Racer 15 over Thanksgiving. Usually when a brewer tries to double an already very good IPA they end up taking it too far, imo. Having said that if you like Racer 5 you will probably love the 15. The one thing I think the 15 has over the 5 is it has way more nose, which in my book scores major points. I love an IPA you can taste before you drink it.

http://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/image/upload/w_250,c_limit,q_85,d_beer_def.gif/beer_139020.jpg

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bear-republic-cafe-racer-15/139020/

reds1869
12-04-2013, 08:04 PM
This beer that I discovered on tap at the Moerlein Lager House is the best Christmas beer I've had this yr, edging out Great Lakes X-mas Ale:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1471/14440

They were out when I asked. Grr!

fearofpopvol1
12-05-2013, 12:04 PM
I had one of these the other night and it was quite good.

http://www.unnecessaryumlaut.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/delirium_noel_umlaut-2.jpg

bucksfan2
12-05-2013, 12:12 PM
I may be one of the few, but I am not a huge fan of XMas Ales. I will drink one from time to time, but any more than two and they play havoc with my stomach.

fearofpopvol1
12-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I may be one of the few, but I am not a huge fan of XMas Ales. I will drink one from time to time, but any more than two and they play havoc with my stomach.

Thing is, they vary so much. Some have that cinnamon-apple cider kind of vibe to them, some don't.

That Delirium Noel is not overpowering and doesn't have too strong of a taste, although some would consider the Belgian yeast to be a strong characteristic while I don't. The Sam Adams winter lager is actually not too heavy either if you haven't had that one.

bucksfan2
12-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Thing is, they vary so much. Some have that cinnamon-apple cider kind of vibe to them, some don't.

That Delirium Noel is not overpowering and doesn't have too strong of a taste, although some would consider the Belgian yeast to be a strong characteristic while I don't. The Sam Adams winter lager is actually not too heavy either if you haven't had that one.

I am not a huge fan of Sam Adams to start off, but I wasn't really all that impressed with their winter lager. When it is cold out I don't mind drinking one or two xmas ales to warm the innards up. My problem is they are very flavorful and also strong. I do enjoy the Great Lakes, but after about two I generally switch to a lighter, more refreshing style beer.

Sea Ray
12-06-2013, 08:11 AM
They were out when I asked. Grr!

You can buy it in bottles at Party Source across the river. I've got a 4-pack in my basement to prove it!

TSJ55
12-06-2013, 06:11 PM

I've never had a Christmas Ale I that made me crave 2nds either. Winter time means Stouts and Porters for me. Tonight it's...

http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/blogs/lists/2012/01/20/IS_Founders.jpg

reds1869
12-06-2013, 06:13 PM
My beer of choice tonight is Johnny Drum Private Stock bourbon. Gotta branch out, you know. :)

fearofpopvol1
12-07-2013, 02:11 AM
had some of this deliciousness tonight...

http://www.adriantrimble.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/3floyds-zombiedust.jpg

Chip R
12-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Nine beers Americans no longer drink.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/12/09/nine-beers-americans-no-longer-drink-2/

marcshoe
12-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Since my doctor told me to drink beer for my kidney stones, I've been discovering what I don't like (Budweiser, etc.) and what I do (anything dark). after finishing off a six-pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest and really enjoying it, I picked up their winter lager.

It is drinkable. It goes down quickly. Other than that, I can't particularly say I'm enjoying it. It reminds me of some wassail a lady I know makes around Christmas, with an added alcohol taste.

Sea Ray
12-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Nine beers Americans no longer drink.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/12/09/nine-beers-americans-no-longer-drink-2/

The only one on that list that I'd miss is Millers MGD. They seem to have quit marketing it. Some of those mentioned are quite logical. For example Mich Light is certainly going to take a hit if Mich Ultra is growing. You won't see Bud market both of them. Actually Michelob Light was never technically considered a light beer because it didn't cut enough calories off of its original beer

Sea Ray
12-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Since my doctor told me to drink beer for my kidney stones, I've been discovering what I don't like (Budweiser, etc.) and what I do (anything dark). after finishing off a six-pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest and really enjoying it, I picked up their winter lager.

It is drinkable. It goes down quickly. Other than that, I can't particularly say I'm enjoying it. It reminds me of some wassail a lady I know makes around Christmas, with an added alcohol taste.

So you've been told that drinking beer is good for kidney stones? That's pretty cool.

Yes, the recent growth of dark beers has been a welcome addition to the beer scene. Hard to even call it the same drink as the watered down American Lagers that we've been so accustomed to.

Chip R
12-09-2013, 03:38 PM
The only one on that list that I'd miss is Millers MGD. They seem to have quit marketing it. Some of those mentioned are quite logical. For example Mich Light is certainly going to take a hit if Mich Ultra is growing. You won't see Bud market both of them. Actually Michelob Light was never technically considered a light beer because it didn't cut enough calories off of its original beer

I drank MGD on a regular basis back in the early 90s. It was pretty good. A step up from the Old Milwaukee and stuff I drank in college.