PDA

View Full Version : Thompson signs with Twins

cinreds21
11-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Yet another Red free agent going to Minnesota.

Benihana
11-22-2011, 05:08 PM

Daryl Thompson?

He joins Maloney and Burton? Are they trying to reassemble the Louisville pitching staff?

crazybob60
11-22-2011, 05:13 PM
I hope that 5 years down the road we are not hitting ourselves on the head with all of these.....

REDREAD
11-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Daryl Thompson?

He joins Maloney and Burton? Are they trying to reassemble the Louisville pitching staff?

Wayne K trying to relive his glory years there.

He's going to keep trying to prove that Thompson was the best player in "The Trade" :laugh:

Kc61
11-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Typical Reds offseason so far.

1. Beat writers stories about how Reds have no money and won't do much.
2. Reds do nothing in the early going.
3. No serious rumors of Reds acquiring anybody.
4. Reds start to lose some depth to other teams.

Next will be the loss of Hernandez and Cordero. No major deal, Reds shouldn't pay for these guys, but they will likely be personnel departures with no new arrivals.

I look forward to the following old staples:

1. Reds do nothing at the Winter Meetings.
2. Walt says you don't always make the deals at the Meetings themselves.
3. Reds do nothing right after the Meetings. Or in December generally.
4. Reds rumored in January to be players for "left over" free agents but no deals. Beat writers say these free agents still too expensive.
5. End of January Reds rumors start to fly. Finally announce signing of two low cost free agents. One is backup shortstop. The other a reliever.
6. Spring training. "We like our club."

Sorry for the rant. Maybe, hopefully, things will be better this winter than last.

Benihana
11-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Typical Reds offseason so far.

1. Beat writers stories about how Reds have no money and won't do much.
2. Reds do nothing in the early going.
3. No serious rumors of Reds acquiring anybody.
4. Reds start to lose some depth to other teams.

Next will be the loss of Hernandez and Cordero. No major deal, Reds shouldn't pay for these guys, but they will likely be personnel departures with no new arrivals.

I look forward to the following old staples:

1. Reds do nothing at the Winter Meetings.
2. Walt says you don't always make the deals at the Meetings themselves.
3. Reds do nothing right after the Meetings. Or in December generally.
4. Reds rumored in January to be players for "left over" free agents but no deals. Beat writers say these free agents still too expensive.
5. End of January Reds rumors start to fly. Finally announce signing of two low cost free agents. One is backup shortstop. The other a reliever.
6. Spring training. "We like our club."

Sorry for the rant. Maybe, hopefully, things will be better this winter than last.

Lather, rinse, repeat

UKFlounder
11-22-2011, 06:15 PM
So an injury-prone minor league pitcher signs with someone else and this becomes a complain about the offseason thread?

Really?

Benihana
11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
So an injury-prone minor league pitcher signs with someone else and this becomes a complain about the offseason thread?

Really?

While I share Kc61's frustration, I also find the placement of the post in this particular thread curious.

Kc61
11-22-2011, 06:27 PM
While I share Kc61's frustration, I also find the placement of the post in this particular thread curious.

Don't spend any time worrying about the placement of my comments.

It's a reaction to the Reds' typical off-season pattern. The loss of some depth, including guys like Maloney and Thompson, is part of that pattern.

The pattern usually continues with the possibility of player acquisitions. They usually don't happen until late January when a couple of backups are acquired.

It's frustrating. But I'm hopeful it will change this off-season. (Hasn't yet, though.)

I'll make it more relevant now -- good luck to Thompson in Minnesota.

mdccclxix
11-22-2011, 06:32 PM

I think it started with this comment, not Kc61's. I agree with his sentiments.

Johnny Footstool
11-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Don't spend any time worrying about the placement of my comments.

It's a reaction to the Reds' typical off-season pattern. The loss of some depth, including guys like Maloney and Thompson, is part of that pattern.

The pattern usually continues with the possibility of player acquisitions. They usually don't happen until late January when a couple of backups are acquired.

It's frustrating. But I'm hopeful it will change this off-season. (Hasn't yet, though.)

I'll make it more relevant now -- good luck to Thompson in Minnesota.

One man's depth is another man's chaff.

muddie
11-22-2011, 08:28 PM
The Rochester Redwings should be interesting this year.

mbgrayson
11-22-2011, 08:39 PM
The Twins have a much more pitcher friendly park than the Reds, so you never know how Maloney, Burton and Thompson might do.

I guess the positive way to look at this is that we have enough depth on the roster that we couldn't protect those guys. Does anyone really think that we should have kept Maloney, Thompson, or Burton? If so, who should we have exposed to waiver claims or Rule 5? The Twins (Wayne K.) apparently think these three are worth a roster spot. With the Reds roster, I really don't think they were.... can't really fault how this played out, although I think all three of these players are nice guys....

cinreds21
11-22-2011, 08:41 PM
The Twins have a much more pitcher friendly park than the Reds, so you never know how Maloney, Burton and Thompson might do.

I guess the positive way to look at this is that we have enough depth on the roster that we couldn't protect those guys. Does anyone really think that we should have kept Maloney, Thompson, or Burton? If so, who should we have exposed to waiver claims or Rule 5? The Twins (Wayne K.) apparently think these three are worth a roster spot. With the Reds roster, I really don't think they were.... can't really fault how this played out, although I think all three of these players are nice guys....

Maloney, DT (and maybe Burton) will be out options next year. That was a big factor.

traderumor
11-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Honestly, the only one who is even a potential contirbutor out of the three mentioned in the thread is Burton, who can't stay healthy and is inconsistent when he does hit the mound. Thompson and Maloney are not depth, they had their opportunities here, time to move on. Dead wood.

11-22-2011, 08:58 PM
So is he...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Z3BUX71Sca8/SNrURm65iFI/AAAAAAAACCc/V6Q28b57-Gk/s320/thomson_and_thompson.jpg

or

http://www.mydotcomistaken.com/blog_graphic_upload/thompson_twins.jpg

kaldaniels
11-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Minnesota can have those guys if they want. I'll gift wrap them and put a bow on them myself if they prefer. No lost sleep for me over them.

Best of luck to them but time to part ways.

edabbs44
11-22-2011, 11:18 PM
no worries

westofyou
11-22-2011, 11:36 PM
OMG the Mets have Bruce Berinyi!!

Tony Cloninger
11-23-2011, 12:23 AM
OMG the Mets have Bruce Berinyi!!

Bruce had some great potential. 1981-82 Bruce was gold.

westofyou
11-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Bruce had some great potential. 1981-82 Bruce was gold.

Pyrite, man had no command

CarolinaRedleg
11-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Wayne is still trying to salvage his "The Trade?" :lol:

Vottomatic
11-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Those guys were out of options. None could make the major league roster. Thompson and Burton were injury prone. They were simply extras the team fell back on occasionally when someone valuable got hurt. Nothing more.

I wish them the best but time to move on.