PDA

View Full Version : John Jaso traded

izzy's dad
11-27-2011, 10:15 PM
The Rays have traded catcher John Jaso to the Mariners for a reliever and a cheese sandwich. Is this a move to free up a roster spot for a bigger deal? Maybe with a team with catchers coming out of their ears like the Reds? Or am I just reading way too much into this?

dMaus14
11-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Hanigan, Mes, or Grandal? With who and for who?

izzy's dad
11-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Not sure, but it has me thinking. Probably just the conspiracy theorist in me trying to create something that isn't there, but it would make sense.

LegallyMinded
11-28-2011, 10:32 AM
The Rays have traded catcher John Jaso to the Mariners for a reliever and a cheese sandwich. Is this a move to free up a roster spot for a bigger deal? Maybe with a team with catchers coming out of their ears like the Reds? Or am I just reading way too much into this?

It looks like you were on to something with this, but rather than trade for a catcher to replace Jaso, the Rays signed Jose Molina (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/rays-sign-jose-molina.html).

I guess the question now is, Do the Rays really expect Molina to duplicate his offensive performance from last year? It lasted all of 191 at-bats and was, after all, supported by a .363 BABIP. With that in mind, I could see them still being interested in one of the Reds' catchers, but a deal doesn't seem quite as likely as before.

izzy's dad
11-28-2011, 11:53 AM
I was just fishing for anything. The winter meetings are in 9 days, hopefully something will happen then.