PDA

View Full Version : Would a Pirates Reds swap work

joe51391
11-29-2011, 12:57 AM
I've heard the names being thrown out there but how about Alonso,Stubbs and Sappelt for McCutchen and Hanrahan. I say that sounds like a fair trade for both sides and helps both sides for a long time. That trade would also allow the Reds to have enough chips to get a starter too. Maybe a package of Grandel for Danks or Garza type.

R_Webb18
11-29-2011, 01:49 AM
no way this happens

brad1176
11-29-2011, 07:57 AM
That trade would be very lopsided to the Pirates, no way that happens.

joe51391
11-29-2011, 09:27 AM
so what do you think it would take to get them

brm7675
11-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Why would you want them?

LegallyMinded
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Why would you want them?

McCutchen is a 25-year old outfielder with an .820 career OPS and four more years of team control. Why would you not want him? Hanrahan has less upside, but is still a serviceable reliever who shouldn't be too expensive. The Reds could certainly find a use for him.

Regarding the trade happening, though, it seems very doubtful: I don't think either team wants to trade major pieces like Alonso or McCutchen within the division and honestly, even if the Pirates say they're listening on McCutchen, I find it somewhat hard to believe they're serious. This sounds more like when Arizona was listening on Justin Upton but never seriously entertained an offer.

dMaus14
11-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Fantastic player .... No thanks! We have too many problems elsewhere, namely SP and CL. The type of package it would take to get would not get us anything better than what we have in house for SP or CL. Which basically brings us back to step 1.

Alpha Zero
11-29-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't really know that this is a good deal for either side. The Reds biggest needs are in LF and in the rotation, and this trade addresses neither. You'd basically be replacing Stubbs with McCutchen and adding a pretty solid arm to the pen. There's nothing wrong with that, but I just don't think it does much to upgrade the club for next year. It's certainly not how you want to utilize your best trade chip (Alonso) when the team is so close to being very good for the next couple of years.

joe51391
11-29-2011, 05:21 PM
well for one it makes the leadoff spot alot better for us and cuts down on strikeouts something that stubbs needs to just slightly cares about and it gives us an option at a closer something we need plus like i said we still have plenty of people to trade to get a starter and LF I could see a package of heisey grandal joseph wood and cornico not sure on the spelling for quinton and danks. that makes this team look a ton better

dMaus14
11-29-2011, 07:16 PM
well for one it makes the leadoff spot alot better for us and cuts down on strikeouts something that stubbs needs to just slightly cares about and it gives us an option at a closer something we need plus like i said we still have plenty of people to trade to get a starter and LF I could see a package of heisey grandal joseph wood and cornico not sure on the spelling for quinton and danks. that makes this team look a ton better

Not to mention completely handicapping us from being good in the next 5 years. In one trade you just got rid of our best bat on the benchand possibly starting LF, 2 of our top 3 SP prospects, possibly a better catcher than Mes and our #5 SP all for 2 one year rentals who are expensive. In another trade you got rid of our replacement for WHEN Votto leaves, our starting CF and our other possible starting LF for a really good CF and a decent RP and we aren't clearing payroll with the trade. Talk about going all in!