PDA

View Full Version : Alonso slimmer, trimmer

FireDusty
12-01-2011, 05:03 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/12/01/alonso-slimmer-trimmer/

It looks like Yonder Alonso didn’t just talk the talk about working on his conditioning this offseason to help with the transition to left field. He walked the walk, or rather ran the run.

Alonso, in early for some pre-Redsfest interviews, said he lost 18 pounds this offseason. He hired a personal chef and tailored his workouts toward being an outfielder.

“That’s part of being a professional,” he said. “You do what you’ve got to do to play and get ready for the season. I’ve been doing that.”

Alonso will never be a burner. But he was noticeably trimmer and more cut. That has to help when playing the outfield.

Alonso, of course, has been subject of lots of trade talk.

“I take for it for what it is,” he said. “Obviously, I’m a Cincinnati Red. I’m not looking forward.”

The Enquirer

My Take: It's amazing that the organization has had the likes of George Foster, Cal Daniels & Adam Dunn patrol left field & suddenly the Dusty Baker Reds must now have tremedous defense in left field. Great defensive left fielders have a name & it's called Center Field or Right Field.

If we trade this guy, it will go down as among the worst blunders in franchise history. He will retire with 350 to 400 homeruns (see Paul Konerko) and we'll have, insert .500 pitchers first and last name here, to look back on.

Some of the best trades were the ones never made. This guy can hold down left field until Votto leaves. He may improve enough that we can leave him there, or move him in. Either way.....this guy is made for GABP and if we let him go it will be an epic blunder.

Look around the league. It's becoming a pitching league. Finding hitters is harder than it used to be. Allowing a 30 to 35 homerun guy with an idea of the strike zone that will lead to .375 to .400 OBA's leave for a middle of the roation #3 is a horrid idea.

The only person that needs to go is the ass that has gone out of his way to destroy a tremedous young hitting talent & his name is the joke that is Dusty Baker.

Kiss the Baby00
12-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Dusty doesnt decide who gets traded

harmony
12-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Seattle firstbaseman Mike Carp lost weight last offseason in hopes of finding playing time in leftfield.

Carp responded with an OPS+ of 122 in 313 MLB plate appearances in 2011, being named the American League Rookie of the Month in August when the lefthand-hitting Carp drove in 25 runs despite an anemic Mariner lineup. Carp made 28 appearances in the outfield last season.

Perhaps Yonder Alonso, who has an OPS+ of 124 in 117 MLB plate appearances, can make the same transition (although Carp's advanced defensive metrics in the outfield were not flattering).

The DARK
12-02-2011, 02:28 AM
Seattle firstbaseman Mike Carp lost weight last offseason in hopes of finding playing time in leftfield.

Carp responded with an OPS+ of 122 in 313 MLB plate appearances in 2011, being named the American League Rookie of the Month in August when the lefthand-hitting Carp drove in 25 runs despite an anemic Mariner lineup. Carp made 28 appearances in the outfield last season.

Perhaps Yonder Alonso, who has an OPS+ of 124 in 117 MLB plate appearances, can make the same transition (although Carp's advanced defensive metrics in the outfield were not flattering).

That's a pretty high level of success to sustain, though I wouldn't put it past him. I like seeing him slimmer though. Maybe he'll start legging out a few more grounders, and playing at least Gomes-type defense out there. Don't expect too much from him this season, but he's definitely ready to contribute.

Alpha Zero
12-02-2011, 07:28 AM
That's a pretty high level of success to sustain, though I wouldn't put it past him. I like seeing him slimmer though. Maybe he'll start legging out a few more grounders, and playing at least Gomes-type defense out there. Don't expect too much from him this season, but he's definitely ready to contribute.

If Alonso can play left like Gomes for the next couple of years, I wouldn't trade him. I actually think Gomes was slightly underrated on defense. He wasn't great, but he wasn't Dunn either. With Alonso's bat, I think he'll make up for most of his defensive issues at the plate. I still think the Reds need to add a TOR arm though, and I'm not sure how they pull that off without using Alonso. Maybe Grandal, Bailey, and another player is enough to get a #2 type arm, but I'm just not sure. I'd really like to get an ace, but that's starting to look like a pipe dream.

alett12
12-02-2011, 11:26 AM
i still don't see him as an outfielder. having seen him play multiple times, he looks lost

Jefferson24
12-02-2011, 12:34 PM
i still don't see him as an outfielder. having seen him play multiple times, he looks lost
Worse than Gomes or Dunn? I don't think so. If we have lived with them we can surely tolerate Alonso.

R_Webb18
12-02-2011, 02:15 PM

im guessing you didnt watch last month b/c he looked fine.