PDA

View Full Version : Heath Bell Agrees to terms with the Marlins

dMaus14
12-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Bell agrees to terms with the Miami Marlins for 3 years and $27M including a vesting option. It seems that the Marlins will now non-tender Juan Carlos Oviedo / Leo Nunez. His projected arbitration salary was $5.8M. If he figures out his visa and identity issues, do you think he would be a good option as a CL/RP? Especially since his demands could be lowered because of those identity problems.

Red Raindog
12-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Bell agrees to terms with the Miami Marlins for 3 years and $27M including a vesting option. It seems that the Marlins will now non-tender Juan Carlos Oviedo / Leo Nunez. His projected arbitration salary was $5.8M. If he figures out his visa and identity issues, do you think he would be a good option as a CL/RP? Especially since his demands could be lowered because of those identity problems.

Don't have an answer to your question but I think it is foolish to give that kind of money & terms to a 34 year old relief pitcher with declining K numbers.

YMMV

LegallyMinded
12-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Don't have an answer to your question but I think it is foolish to give that kind of money & terms to a 34 year old relief pitcher with declining K numbers.

YMMV

What about a 36 year old relief pitcher with declining K numbers (by which I mean Francisco Cordero)?

Honestly, the deals being made for closers right now are just unbelievable. At the start of the off season, there were so many available closers (including Papelbon, Madson, Nathan, Bell, Cordero, Rodriguez, Capps, etc.) that I assumed we might see some sanity in terms of the dollars/years offered to them, but that just hasn't happened. I hate to think what these signings are doing to the Reds' negotiations with Cordero.

Red Raindog
12-02-2011, 05:57 PM
What about a 36 year old relief pitcher with declining K numbers (by which I mean Francisco Cordero)?

Honestly, the deals being made for closers right now are just unbelievable. At the start of the off season, there were so many available closers (including Papelbon, Madson, Nathan, Bell, Cordero, Rodriguez, Capps, etc.) that I assumed we might see some sanity in terms of the dollars/years offered to them, but that just hasn't happened. I hate to think what these signings are doing to the Reds' negotiations with Cordero.

I wouldn't pay that for Coco either --- :)

Uncle Charlie
12-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Unbelieveable? Really??? The top guys of course were going to get cash (Papel and Bell)... Nathan and Capps are both mediocre at best. Madson has only done it once and K Rod brings instabilitity off the field and on sometimes. And Coco is aging. If you want the best you have to pay for it...Philly and Miami did.