PDA

View Full Version : the outfield

alett12
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
If i were making the reds lineup in spring training this year i would tell stubbs if you don't stop striking out you aren't playing. I'd rather start heisey in center anyway if you are going to put yonder in left. I would personaly rather have heisey in the linep than yonder because of the fact he doesnt have to be in the middle of it but the only person who has earned thier spot in the outfield is bruce. Heisey and yonder need thier chances even though i dont see yonder as an outfielder.

FireDusty
12-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Underrated 80's band?

Redus
12-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Underrated 80's band?

I dont wanna lose your love to-nigghhhhhhht

izzy's dad
12-05-2011, 12:06 PM
The Reds have checked in on Josh Willingham per MLBTRADERUMORS.com. Let the Willingham bashing begin.

texasdave
12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't think Willingham is a bad player but with nine teams (per mlbtraderumors) after him you'd think he is not going to settle for a one-year contract. He will be 33 next year. His signing will leave Alonso without a position. Any payflex the Reds currently have will be severely eaten into.
IMO Walt needs to get the best pitching he can first. And then address other needs. I have this feeling Jocketty is okay with the Reds pitching staff as is.

brad1176
12-05-2011, 01:32 PM
He's not a bad player, but we have a Willingham type of player in Heisey. Willingham will likely get 7-8 million, Heisey gets around 440k. He's not 16-18 times better than Heisey.

dMaus14
12-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I know this sounds like a Wild Card but what about Alfonso Soriano? According to MLTR, there is some interest in Soriano and the thought is that the Cubs would have to eat over $40M of the owed $54M over the next three years, averaging around $4.5M a year for the club that would get him. What do you think? If interested who would you give up?

brad1176
12-05-2011, 02:02 PM
No thanks, I would want no part of Soriano.

izzy's dad
12-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Heisey hasn't proved that he can play every day. Granted he hasn't been given much of a chance. But when he has had the chance he hasn't really taken advantage of the time he has been given. Chris Heisey is a very good sub outfielder, and an outstanding pinch hitter, but he is another question mark. Willingham is going to be affordable, but will eat up most if not all of the Reds payflex. But at least you can count on his production barring injury. Willingham will hit for power and drive in runs. I think it is a good fit.

LegallyMinded
12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
He's not a bad player, but we have a Willingham type of player in Heisey. Willingham will likely get 7-8 million, Heisey gets around 440k. He's not 16-18 times better than Heisey.

This sums up my feelings as well. Fangraphs (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/contract-crowdsourcing-2011-12-results/) has been doing crowd-sourcing predictions for free agents, and has Willingham getting about 8 million a year for 2-3 years. If the Reds want to spend that much money on a free agent, I think they'd be better served going after Hiroki Kuroda or Edwin Jackson. True, a SP like one of those two would be a bit more expensive, but I think the upgrade for the team would be much greater.

19braves77
12-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Why not just trade Yonder Alonso to the Rays for Wade Davis ? Solves problems for both teams.

alett12
12-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Why not just trade Yonder Alonso to the Rays for Wade Davis ? Solves problems for both teams.

Yonder is worth Matt Moore not Wade Davis but i am not that big a fan of Willingham ecspeacily at 7-8 Mill for one year

dMaus14
12-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Yonder is not worth Matt Moore! Point Blank! I like Yonder but he is not Matt Moore worthy!

Uncle Charlie
12-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I know this sounds like a Wild Card but what about Alfonso Soriano? According to MLTR, there is some interest in Soriano and the thought is that the Cubs would have to eat over $40M of the owed $54M over the next three years, averaging around $4.5M a year for the club that would get him. What do you think? If interested who would you give up?

Exactly what this pitching staff needs is the worst fielding OF in the Show.

dMaus14
12-06-2011, 05:18 PM
They play at GABP, not a lot of room to cover so range is a big factor! Then there is Stubbs in CF and Bruce in RF, who are both above average fielders. No real concern defensively to be honest for anyone they put out there outside of a blind person.