PDA

View Full Version : Redsfest/Reds Poker

Votto4MVP
12-02-2011, 01:27 PM
I am going to both tomorrow, never done either.

Has anyone ever done the reds poker tournament thing? How many players usually show up?

As far as redsfest goes, what are usually the best parts of that? Main attractions I guess...

swaisuc
12-02-2011, 02:32 PM
The poker tourney is well done. Normally, you get one reds player, coach, or "celebrity" per table. Some of the celebrities are more interesting that others.

If you knock them out, you get their jersey. Usually, the guys are very personable during the tournament. I got to sit next to Jay Bruce a couple years ago and won his jersey. He was great. Usually about 15 current Reds and coaches in the field of maybe 300 (total guess from memory).

bounty37h
12-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Dont have input but cant wait to hear about the weekend! I am sure the season we had makes the difference, but def does not seem to have the hype as past years...

cres36
12-03-2011, 04:49 PM
I went this year.....the player autograph stations release who is signing where about 30mins prior to the signing, but it seemed like everyone else knew who was going to be where ahead of time....are they all just guessing and getting lucky or is there a way to find out prior to redsfest or early in the day? it would be nice so i dont end up with 13 autographs of juan lopez the bullpen coach lol....all in all was still a good time

KYRedLeg
12-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I went this year.....the player autograph stations release who is signing where about 30mins prior to the signing, but it seemed like everyone else knew who was going to be where ahead of time....are they all just guessing and getting lucky or is there a way to find out prior to redsfest or early in the day? it would be nice so i dont end up with 13 autographs of juan lopez the bullpen coach lol....all in all was still a good time

People were just guessing. The locations were announced on Twitter a couple of minutes before the TVs updated, though.

I noticed the Season Ticket line (C), in particular, had people camping out an hour before the announcement, "just in case" somebody decent was announced. A lot of times, the 225 was reached for one signer, and a new line immediately formed behind the "End of Line" sign for the next player.

I was able to walk right up to Boxberger in C1, because people were sitting in queue, waiting for the next hour's talent to be announced for C1 before losing their place in line for Boxberger.

cres36
12-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll just have to hope for better luck next year lol either way its still a great time though!

bounty37h
12-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Was surprised to see they set attendance record, doesn't seem like people here were talking about it as much as past years, as well as a dissapointing season after finally tasting playoffs year before.

brm7675
12-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I went on Sat, drove over from Indy. This is my first Redsfest in about 4-5 years. I was at the first ones and even at the one when a big snow storm hit Cincy and there was maybe 200-300 fans there. It has changed a lot, some good some bad. I like how they have "kidded" it up as if this sport is going to continue to grow you need to groom the kids to love and enjoy the sport.

I went over in an attempt to get some autographs on my 1990 World series bat. Upon arrival I got into the Billy Hatcher line and after 90 minute wait got his sig. Then walked around a bit, they had fewer dealers then in the past, but they had huge tables. I then got in line and got Eric Davis to sign the bat, and then headed over to the Sabo line only to see it already shut off. Well then over in the corner by the huge bus they had parked inside I see Sabo just siting there, I walk over and ask him if he would sign my bat, he smiled and said sure...Great guy. Finished up getting a couple of minor league guys on my helmet.

The place was packed which is a good thing, I didn't really catch much of the stage stuff but did appreciate all the stuff they had for people to do.

bounty37h
12-05-2011, 03:39 PM
BRM, lucky man! I love the auto experiences (in general, never been to RF) and would love to get some of the 90 Reds. Met Davis a few years ago at Mudcats game, but he wasnt very friendly or signing much.

brm7675
12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
BRM, lucky man! I love the auto experiences (in general, never been to RF) and would love to get some of the 90 Reds. Met Davis a few years ago at Mudcats game, but he wasnt very friendly or signing much.

Eric was very nice, not sure how he is away from Reds related stuff but here he was great.

bounty37h
12-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Eric was very nice, not sure how he is away from Reds related stuff but here he was great.

Glad to hear, maybe he was just having a bad day when I met him, but it sure was disapointing for a big fan of his. It was at the Reds/Mudcats exhibition game in NC, so was Reds related. I had a Davis jersey on, and shared a story of my favorite memory of him-which I am sure gets old when you hear things like that all the time, but wanted to show him I was really a fan who wanted it for my own collection and not just an Ebay greedy guy.