PDA

View Full Version : Reds rumors

Pages : 1 [2]

Red Raindog
03-29-2012, 06:04 AM
ESPN Insider is reporting that Mike Gonzalez threw for the Reds on Monday.

His numbers have not been too exciting the last couple years - in fact 2009 was his last good year - I'm hoping he is not signed to a major league contract by the brain trust.

texasdave
03-29-2012, 06:44 AM
Take away Ichiro Suzuki's 4 for 5 in the first game and the two teams, Seattle and Oakland, are a combined 16 for 117 through 18 innings. A sizzling .136 average. Are there any Japanese fans still awake over there? What the heck, add in Ichiro's four for five first game and the resulting average is still well below the Mendoza line at .164. A grand total of five runs scored in 18 innings. If that doesn't get a person ready for baseball, nothing will. I got up early to watch and went back to sleep for awhile, couldn't keep my eyes open.

Oakland offense comes to life late. Cespedes with a two-run jack to highlight a three-run seventh. Jonny Gomes went deep as well. 4-1 Oakland.

texasdave
03-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Rosenthal checks in on extension candidates around the league, offering insight into the negotiations. The likely asking price for Brandon Phillips is a raise from his current $12MM salary on a four or five-year deal.

If this is true, goodbye, Brandon.

swaisuc
03-31-2012, 01:45 PM
If this is true, goodbye, Brandon.

No reason to even consider it right now. If you're going to pay full market price anyway, just play out this season and reassess the situation then.

twerfgrukj
04-05-2012, 03:55 AM
http://www.webcam-steamate.com/cookies/43/b/happy.gif

My best estimate has the Reds almost $2M in payroll above where they were last season. A $5M increase over 2011 gives the Reds about $3M left to work with. Based on how much of Ryan Madson's contract counts toward the 2012 budget, they could have several million more. It's still probably not enough to sign Roy Oswalt without clearing out a little salary by trade.

Despite Walt Jocketty declaring that the team is "pretty tapped out" in terms of payroll, Oswalt's people have talked to the Reds on some level (according to John Fay). It's a move I suspect "Win Now Walt" would like to make. All of the eggs for improving the rotation are currently in the Latos basket and the starting pitching depth, especially if you include departures by Maloney and Thompson, has shrunk to essentially Aroldis Chapman. Can we call him a starter yet?

The DARK
04-05-2012, 01:11 PM
All of the eggs for improving the rotation are currently in the Latos basket and the starting pitching depth, especially if you include departures by Maloney and Thompson, has shrunk to essentially Aroldis Chapman. Can we call him a starter yet?[/QUOTE]

Jeff Francis in AAA would like to have a word with you.

Beyond that, there are still options. LeCure and Marshall are both capable of spot starting. Reineke has put up reliable AAA numbers and can be used in a pinch. JJ Hoover spent most of his career as a starter. I think that we've got enough depth as of right now.

DGullett35
04-06-2012, 03:45 PM
And remember Oswalt is still out there. For the right price I think he would be very good in 20 starts.