PDA

View Full Version : Reds rumors

Pages : [1] 2

izzy's dad
12-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Thought we could use this as a "catch all" for Reds trade rumors similar to the one on ORG.

According to Buster Olney twitter account: "Reds are said to be talking about a lot of trade possibilities... Offering a whole range of players."

I wonder what Walt has up his sleeve.

LegallyMinded
12-05-2011, 08:20 PM
The Reds remain interested (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/brewers-interested-in-octavio-dotel.html) in Octavio Dotel, and Francisco Cordero is unlikely to return (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/12/04/cordero-unlikely-to-return/). In other reliever news, the Twins are expected to sign Matt Capps, so that's another potential closer off the board.

izzy's dad
12-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Jon Heyman via twitter: "reds very interested in Jair Jurrjens. Seek no.2 starter. 10 teams involved."

This staff does not need another guy that throws his fastball around 89-90. Or another injury risk. Jurrjens is both. Yuck!

texasdave
12-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Jon Heyman via twitter: "reds very interested in Jair Jurrjens. Seek no.2 starter. 10 teams involved."

This staff does not need another guy that throws his fastball around 89-90. Or another injury risk. Jurrjens is both. Yuck!

It looks like he has missed about 10 starts in each of the past two seasons. Sweet. Bring him aboard. Another question mark. I guess if you assemble enough question marks some of them have to pan out.

R_Webb18
12-05-2011, 08:47 PM
the reds sure love question marks.

FireDusty
12-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I hope we do nothing.

The only things of value we have we need, or are not willing to trade...and it takes things of value & a willingness to trade them.

Shipping future impact hitters in a pitching dominated league is pure stupidity.

If we could get a #2 starter for Alonzo...I would consider it......as it stands...all we can get for Alonzo is what we already have.

I hope we do nothing. I want to put the pressure on our pathetic manager to perform with what he has.

The talent is already in place. the leadership at the major league level to get that talent to perform isn't.

dMaus14
12-05-2011, 08:51 PM
What we need is a guy who gives up HR/9 - .8; WHIP - 1.25; avg WAR of 2.1 and a Career ERA of 3.40 plus someone who is relatively young, say 25 (almost 26).

izzy's dad
12-05-2011, 08:51 PM
This pitching staff need less questions. It is time Walt and company found some answers.

texasdave
12-05-2011, 08:58 PM
What we need is a guy who gives up HR/9 - .8; WHIP - 1.25; avg WAR of 2.1 and a Career ERA of 3.40 plus someone who is relatively young, say 25 (almost 26).

Of course if that guy is gonna miss 10 starts a year the Reds don't need him all that badly, considering his WAR in those two seasons has been 1.2 and 1.5 respectively.

He is about to get expensive and can he stay healthy? Some serious risk attached.

One thing that really troubles me is if he is all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips, then why are the Braves so anxious to move him?

FireDusty
12-05-2011, 09:04 PM
This pitching staff need less questions. It is time Walt and company found some answers.

What do we have that we net us a top of the rotation starter?

What...you want to clear out the young talent for a 12 game winner?

dMaus14
12-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Our ace last year missed 10 starts. Our #3 missed more. Our #5-6 basically sucked. Our only pitcher who didn't miss a start was quite possibly the worst pitcher in the majors. Jurrjen's stats in 2011 were basically Cueto's with a better record and a slightly higher ERA.

The Braves are notorious to know when to let their pitchers go but they have probably the best group of young pitchers coming up in Tehran, Vizcaino, Delgado, Minor, Beachy, Hanson plus Jurrjens and Hudson so this might be a time where they are really trying to get rid of their surplus to fill a weakness. Just playing devil's advocate here not really pushing hard for him, but also not saying no immediately.

izzy's dad
12-05-2011, 09:27 PM
I never said that I want to give away talented young talent like Alonso. I was just saying that I don't want Jair Jurrjens. I don't think the way to improve our roster is to trade said talent to the Braves for an injury risk like Jurrjens. This roster as constructed will not win, there are simply too many question marks. I would like some answers to those question marks. One way to do that would be to trade young unproven talent for proven major league talent. The Reds cannot compete on the free agent market, so the only way to improve the ballclub would be through trade or development of the talent you have on the roster. I think we constantly over value our talent because we look at everything with rose colored glasses. We THINK Yonder Alonso will be good, but we don't know that he will be good. You have to take risks if you are the Reds. I am tired of the Reds being ok with mediocrity. I want a winner, I was five when the Reds last won the World Series, I was too young to remember. I want a title so bad I can taste it. If that means we have to push in all of our "chips," and make a serious run every 3-5 years then that is ok by me. Because a winner every 5 years is better than not having won jack sh*$ the last twenty one years. So yes, I want Walt to at least make an attempt at winning this damn thing, even if it means parting ways with young, cheap talent.

LegallyMinded
12-05-2011, 09:34 PM
It looks like he has missed about 10 starts in each of the past two seasons. Sweet. Bring him aboard. Another question mark. I guess if you assemble enough question marks some of them have to pan out.

Fortunately, MLBTR is reporting there are ten teams interested in Jurrjens, so I can't imagine the Reds will actually be the winner in the Jair sweepstakes. After all, we don't exactly match up well with Atlanta as trade partners: They have Freeman at first and McCann catching, so they can't have a whole lot of interest in our top prospects.

texasdave
12-05-2011, 09:52 PM
If the options are stand pat or trade for Jurrjens, then I would opt for the trade. That being said, if there are 10 teams interested the Reds aren't going to get him cheaply. I would just like a little more certainty. It's early and hopefully Walt chooses wisely and things shake out in the Reds favor this winter.

mattfeet
12-05-2011, 10:02 PM
7:58pm: MLB.com's Mark Sheldon hears from a source that the Reds' interest in Jurrjens has been overblown, and that Cincinnati doesn't appear to be going hard after the right-hander.

Eric the Red
12-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Remember, in July, everyone had the Reds as the front runner for Ubaldo Jimenez and we seen how that worked out. I'd like for the Reds to acquire Jurrjens if its for the right price. Reports are the Braves want a haul and like Jimenez in July we may not want to meet their asking price.

Ohayou
12-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Seems like 90% of what's being reported during the winter meetings is crap.

The Rage
12-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Why the Reds would want Jurrjens, I have no clue. We have several guys with a ton more talent and just coming into their prime.

Sounds like the Braves trying to bid up the price.

The Rage
12-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Remember, in July, everyone had the Reds as the front runner for Ubaldo Jimenez and we seen how that worked out. I'd like for the Reds to acquire Jurrjens if its for the right price. Reports are the Braves want a haul and like Jimenez in July we may not want to meet their asking price.

It is all about the price. The Rockies then got the young pitcher they wanted.

Eric the Red
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
It is all about the price. The Rockies then got the young pitcher they wanted.

Time will tell, but I believe the Rockies got the better end of the deal and I was glad the Reds didn't give up as much as Cleveland did for Ubaldo. I agree its all about the price and with 10 teams reportedly interested the Braves are in a good spot. I just don't think the Reds are a good fit for Jurrjens. I was glad to see Sheldon's report that the Reds appear not so interested in Jair.

smixsell
12-06-2011, 03:41 AM
I hope we do nothing.

The only things of value we have we need, or are not willing to trade...and it takes things of value & a willingness to trade them.

Shipping future impact hitters in a pitching dominated league is pure stupidity.

If we could get a #2 starter for Alonzo...I would consider it......as it stands...all we can get for Alonzo is what we already have.

I hope we do nothing. I want to put the pressure on our pathetic manager to perform with what he has.

The talent is already in place. the leadership at the major league level to get that talent to perform isn't.

Spot on.

texasdave
12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Rockies trade for Kevin Slowey. May no longer have a need for EV. Blue Jays pick up a cheap interesting closer. Walt Sleeps.

texasdave
12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
The Blue Jays acquired reliever Sergio Santos from the White Sox for righty prospect Nestor Molina, announced the team.In Santos, 28, Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos found his closer on the trade market. The converted infielder posted a 3.55 ERA, 13.1 K/9, 4.1 BB/9, 0.85 HR/9, and 43% groundball rate in 63 1/3 innings for the White Sox this year, saving 30 games in 36 tries.

How does this pertain to the Reds?

The trade seems to signal an impending rebuilding effort for the White Sox. Santos himself was affordable, but perhaps GM Kenny Williams preferred a future rotation candidate in Molina.

Meaning Danks and Floyd could be available.

dMaus14
12-06-2011, 02:15 PM
With Kenny Williams trading Santos to the Blue Jays for a AA pitcher, you have to think this is a full on rebuilding effort, especially with little money available. I would think with a surplus of low minor - high potential SP prospects and plenty of position depth in the minors we could easily get Danks, Floyd or Both!

texasdave
12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Walt doing what Walt does best - staying on the back burner.

LegallyMinded
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Meaning Danks and Floyd could be available.

Spot on analysis about the White Sox entering rebuilding mode, but Kenny Williams tweeted (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/white-sox-trade-santos-start-the-rebuild-process/) that he plans to keep the Sox starting pitching intact. That comment could just be posturing to try to prevent a flood of low-ball offers from other teams looking to capitalize on the presumed fire sale, but it's discouraging to read nonetheless.

dMaus14
12-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Braves, White Sox Discussing Matt Thornton
By Tim Dierkes [December 6 at 1:37pm CST]
A potential trade of White Sox lefty reliever Matt Thornton to the Braves is picking up steam, tweets Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times. However, David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says this one's not happening.

Thornton, 35, posted a 3.32 ERA, 9.5 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 0.45 HR/9, and 48.8% groundball rate in 59 2/3 innings for the White Sox this year. He's owed $12MM through 2013 on an extension signed in March. It's unclear whether Sox GM Kenny Williams would further deplete his bullpen depth after trading Sergio Santos to Toronto today, but relievers generally aren't crucial to a rebuilding effort.

They are when you are trading your best two relievers and moving another reliever to the rotation. Another sign that they are in rebuilding mode! I am now of the belief that we could sell our low to mid minor league prospects and get something out of it now!

dMaus14
12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Nevermind! Just shot down by David O'Brien!

realreds1
12-06-2011, 04:53 PM
According to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com, the Rockies are "willing to eat all money for prospects" in trading Huston Street.

texasdave
12-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Lot of things happening at the Winter Meetings. While our GM gently sleeps.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Hopefully I can eat crow later this week but this is what we will hear by the weekend. Walt-We were in on many deals but just couldnt get it worked out. We still have all off-season to get it worked out though. Then come Spring Training Walt- We were close to making some big deals but they just didnt pan out. Then we will sign 80 year old William Shatner to be our shortstop/left fielder. In August when we are 14 games out we will wonder why yet again our front office did nothing. Will the Reds ever have an owner with deep pockets? If you can't afford to improve your team then sell it.

The Rage
12-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Hopefully I can eat crow later this week but this is what we will hear by the weekend. Walt-We were in on many deals but just couldnt get it worked out. We still have all off-season to get it worked out though. Then come Spring Training Walt- We were close to making some big deals but they just didnt pan out. Then we will sign 80 year old William Shatner to be our shortstop/left fielder. In August when we are 14 games out we will wonder why yet again our front office did nothing. Will the Reds ever have an owner with deep pockets? If you can't afford to improve your team then sell it.

I doubt it. The Reds are going to come out with a closer at least.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-06-2011, 11:39 PM

You may be right but if we lost a fairly decent closer and then got a fairly decent closer where did the team improve? I guess financially but if they dont do anything with the extra money where did it get us?

Ohayou
12-07-2011, 03:29 AM

The Reds haven't ruled out the suggestion that Volquez himself could be a potential closer option. Although he displayed command issues in a disappointing 2011, he can throw 97 mph and has a strong variety of pitches.

"We've talked about it, kicked it around," Jocketty said. "It could be an alternative. The other thing we have discussed is internal candidates. He could possibly be one."

LegallyMinded
12-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Looks like the Reds are talking to the Rays (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/alonsos-name-has-come-up-in-rays-talks.html) about trading Yonder Alonso. MLBTR says the Rays will listen on James Shields, so what do you think: Alonso+ to the Rays for Shields? Is there any way the Reds can put together a package appealing enough for Shields?

izzy's dad
12-07-2011, 11:04 AM
The Reds and Rays match up perfectly for a trade. The Reds have tons of young talented position players, and the Rays have lots of young talented pitching. If the Reds do include Alonso in a Shields/Davis deal, do they then go get a bat to play left, or is the job Heisey's? My guess is that nothing happens and I slip further into depression bordering mania.

LegallyMinded
12-07-2011, 11:13 AM
The Reds and Rays match up perfectly for a trade. The Reds have tons of young talented position players, and the Rays have lots of young talented pitching. If the Reds do include Alonso in a Shields/Davis deal, do they then go get a bat to play left, or is the job Heisey's? My guess is that nothing happens and I slip further into depression bordering mania.

I'd say the job goes to Heisey, simply because some of the cheaper OF options (such as David DeJesus) have already come off the market, and some of the other options (like Willingham) aren't necessarily much better than Heisey.

The Red Sox, however, are apparently interested in trading Josh Reddick. If the Reds do acquire Shields, they might then be able to trade one of their surplus starters to the Sox and try Reddick as a LF option.

izzy's dad
12-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I like Heisey more than I like Reddick. I am probably the most outspoken advocate of bringing in Willingham, I really like his bat in between Votto and Bruce. But if we bring in an arm like big game James I really don't see us adding any more payroll.

MotownRed
12-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Looks like Street to Padres for a PTBNL per rotoworld

LegallyMinded
12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I like Heisey more than I like Reddick. I am probably the most outspoken advocate of bringing in Willingham, I really like his bat in between Votto and Bruce. But if we bring in an arm like big game James I really don't see us adding any more payroll.

I agree that Willingham is a quality player, but I think you're right about payroll being the main issue prohibiting the Reds from pursuing him.

As for Heisey vs. Reddick, it's hard to compare the two given that neither one has really gotten a consistent shot to play in the majors. The stats from their relatively small ML sample sizes seem to indicate Reddick has an edge on defense, while Heisey has significantly more power. Both of them also seem to have had a bit more ML success than you might expect from their minor league numbers, and so I wonder if either one will be able to sustain their performance over the course of, say, a full season .

texasdave
12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
They should have just held these Winter Meetings in Miami. I am still waiting for all the free agents the Reds promised if they got a new stadium.

The Rage
12-07-2011, 05:51 PM
They should have just held these Winter Meetings in Miami. I am still waiting for all the free agents the Reds promised if they got a new stadium.

Forgot about Eric Milton? The Reds never promised free agents.

texasdave
12-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Forgot about Eric Milton? The Reds never promised free agents.

They promised to be competitive. I guess one year out of nine qualifies.

The Rage
12-07-2011, 05:58 PM
They promised to be competitive. I guess one year out of nine qualifies.

The Reds promised to rebuild with prospects and use some of the "extra" cash to pull in a vet or two to fill the remaining hole.

The fact is, the Reds farm system didn't produce squat except for Adam Dunn. They wasted money on broken down players like Griffey/Larkin. They couldn't find talent for the life of them outside one fluke. Then they overpaid Sean Casey. The Reds overpaid fluffness for years on a limited budget.

The Reds in 2005 did the same thing the Marlins are doing this year. Adjust for the year, I suspect the Marlins and 2005 Reds payroll will average about the same(Marlins are targetting 100 million, which was is probably comparable to the Reds 63 million in 2005 when adjusted).

But we only got one bad contract because Griffey and Casey had the others.

texasdave
12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
The Reds promised to rebuild with prospects and use some of the "extra" cash to pull in a vet or two to fill the remaining hole.

The fact is, the Reds farm system didn't produce squat except for Adam Dunn. They wasted money on broken down players like Griffey/Larkin. They couldn't find talent for the life of them outside one fluke. Then they overpaid Sean Casey. The Reds overpaid fluffness for years on a limited budget.

The Reds in 2005 did the same thing the Marlins are doing this year. Adjust for the year, I suspect the Marlins and 2005 Reds payroll will average about the same(Marlins are targetting 100 million, which was is probably comparable to the Reds 63 million in 2005 when adjusted).

But we only got one bad contract because Griffey and Casey had the others.

Wrong. They promised to remain competitive.

Talk of a baseball-only stadium for the Reds ignited in August 1993, when General Manager Jim Bowden emerged from a baseball owners meeting to say the Reds needed their own stadium to stay on equal financial footing with other Major League Baseball teams. The Bengals were making similar noises at the time, with team owner Mike Brown threatening to consider moving his team to another city if he didn't get a new stadium.
Both teams complained that Riverfront Stadium (later Cinergy Field) lacked the amenities other teams were tapping in newer stadiums - such as high-priced luxury suites and club seats and lucrative deals on advertising, parking and concessions that favored the teams. Neither the Bengals nor the Reds thought Riverfront generated the kind of cash each needed to remain competitive in its respective league.

texasdave
12-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty tells MLB.com's Mark Sheldon that Ross' agent said his client would be interested in returning to Cincinnati. Ross was briefly a Red in 2006, appearing in two games with the club. Jocketty said the two sides "kicked it around,” though the team has "some other things to do first," presumably finding a top-tier pitcher. Perhaps related to the Reds' pitching search, Jocketty said he has spoken "several times" with the Rays but he doesn't think the two sides are close on a trade.

texasdave
12-07-2011, 06:44 PM
The delay in finalizing the Street deal occurred because the Rockies were close to sending him to the Reds for Edinson Volquez, tweets Renck.

LegallyMinded
12-08-2011, 11:22 AM
It appears the Angels have signed Pujols (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/angels-to-sign-albert-pujols.html) (10 year deal worth 250-260 million). How does this impact the Reds' off-season strategy? Well, Kendry Morales and Mark Trumbo are now legitimate trade chips, and so Alonso's value might be proportionally diminished. It would be utterly frustrating if Jocketty finally got the nerve to trade Alonso, only to see the Halos swoop in with a more appealing deal involving Morales or Trumbo.

Hubba
12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
It appears the Angels have signed Pujols (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/angels-to-sign-albert-pujols.html) (10 year deal worth 250-260 million). How does this impact the Reds' off-season strategy? Well, Kendry Morales and Mark Trumbo are now legitimate trade chips, and so Alonso's value might be proportionally diminished. It would be utterly frustrating if Jocketty finally got the nerve to trade Alonso, only to see the Halos swoop in with a more appealing deal involving Morales or Trumbo. Heres more

"Albert Pujols(notes), the heart and hammer of the St. Louis Cardinals for more than a decade, will leave St. Louis and sign with the Los Angeles Angels, sources said Thursday morning.

Latecomers to the Pujols derby, the Angels will pay Pujols $250 million to $260 million over 10 years, a devastating turn for the Cardinals and a departure from past organizational philosophies for Arte Moreno's Angels.

After a month-long search for wealth and happiness, most notably in Miami, Pujols will not return to the only organization he's known."

takealeake
12-08-2011, 02:44 PM
If we weren't doling out $30 mil contracts for trash like Arroyo with 5 and a half ERA's, maybe we would have some money to throw around in free agency. But no, our wise management though it was better instead to buy high, and sell low. That's basically the Reds in a nutshell. Instead of actually taking the option on Arroyo and seeing if he holds up, we always decide to resign guys when they are the hottest they can actually be. That's why management is dumb as rocks. We get off the hook for one trash contract with Cordero, but yet we're instantly locked into another with Arroyo.

texasdave
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
The Twins, Indians, and Rockies are most likely to sign free agent left fielder Josh Willingham, tweets Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. The Indians are interested but have yet to make an offer, tweets MLB.com's Jordan Bastian.

No Wishbone C mentioned.

So let's recap. Walt is hot to deal and goes to Dallas with a fistful of trading chips. The end result. Dmitri Young - maybe. Cody Ross - maybe. Andrew Brackman - maybe.

Sweet.

nux fan
12-08-2011, 04:40 PM
walt is waiting for the other teams to become defunct like the seattle pilots then maybe the reds will win, I believe walt is a mole sent here by the cards

texasdave
12-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Travis Mattair. A 22 year-old third baseman who has worked all the way up to High A. Four years in the minors has resulted in a .341 SLG along with a .654 OPS. For a corner infielder. Nice.

Walt's work here is done. Let's go home boys and rest up for Spring Training.

The Rage
12-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Walt could have Bailey straight up for Alonso if he wanted him. Which is Walt's problem.

I could see this conversation with Beane:
Beane: Well Walt, Alonso for Bailey, lets get it done. I need a bat, you need a better closer
Walt: Now hold on, how about that Gio guy? Alonso,Grandel and Wood for him and Bailey.
Beane: Uh, no
Walt: I will throw in our Bailey
Beane: Don't want him, got a mechanical flaw, even if we sort it out, he will be gone in 60 seconds once he hits FA man
Walt: You could always trade him.....
Beane: With that risk. I don't want him
Walt: Who do you want?
Beane: That Corcianoonono blaa blaa guy
Walt: I know who you are talking about, can't have him
Beane: Then we have no deal
Walt: I can't believe you don't want my package
Beane: Listen, Walt, we don't have to trade Gio or Bailey. I like Bailey. But we aren't going to compete this year and want a young bat with some upside. But he doesn't have Joey Votto upside circa 2009. I think Bailey is a fair fair offer for Alonso. Grandel needs another year to convince me, Wood is a 3 at max, we already discussed Bailey. I really don't want to trade Gio that bad. I need a fine young pitching prospect to get this done
Walt: Well, I never......
Beane: Again, Bailey for Alonso
Walt: Uh, I will think it over
Beane: ok, goodbye.

izzy's dad
12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=The Rage;2509261]

This is the best post of the year. Now we know why Walt can't get things done, he is too busy soliciting his package, and rival GMs are completely underwhelmed.

markymark69
12-08-2011, 10:02 PM
It is becoming very frustrating that Walt can't or won't pull the trigger. I understand the not mortaging the farm mentality, but with all of our future hall of famers that we have in minors (that many on this board do not want to part with either) you'd think the Reds could get something done.

Of course, the moment a trade or signing actually happens all the experts on Redszone will chime in with how stupid Walt was to trade so and so for this guy or how could sign that guy.

He really can't win.

Seriously though, I'm with most of you, I've been unimpressed so far this off-season with the Reds.

The Rage
12-09-2011, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=The Rage;2509261]

This is the best post of the year. Now we know why Walt can't get things done, he is too busy soliciting his package, and rival GMs are completely underwhelmed.

No, rival GM's aren't getting from Walt what they want. Walt either needs to pull the trigger or settle to fill a hole(like Alonso for Bailey would). If you want Bailey AND Gio, you better have a good pitching prospect going back the otherway.

joe51391
12-09-2011, 02:17 AM
the reds rumor mill should have nothing in it. how can there be 4 pages. that is alot of "churp churp cricket cricket" if you ask me. walt should be fired in fact he should have neer been hired hell pay me half of what he gets hell i'm good at doing nothing

R_Webb18
12-09-2011, 03:04 AM
[QUOTE=izzy's dad;2509269]

(like Alonso for Bailey would).

garbge

izzy's dad
12-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Just to clarify, I never said that Alonso for Bailey would be a good deal. I want to make that clear. That would be an awful deal for the Reds. It is starting to look like we are going into the season with this current roster. And that sucks.

malcontent
12-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Cody Ross and Dmitri Young: Not one but TWO POTENTIAL LUMPS OF COAL in your Cincinnati Reds Christmas stocking!

Thank you Uncle Walt for letting us dream!

texasdave
12-09-2011, 04:45 PM
And I am certain Dusty was more than excited about the prospect of Dmitri being in camp. That is one serious lump of Veteran Creaminess. Heisey wouldn't get off the bench.

texasdave
12-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Nothing done before the Winter Meetings - check.
Nothing done at the Winter Meetings - check.
Nothing done before January 1st -
Nothing done before Spring Training -
Nothing done during Spring Training -

To be revisited....

HalMorrisRules
12-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Just to clarify, I never said that Alonso for Bailey would be a good deal. I want to make that clear. That would be an awful deal for the Reds. It is starting to look like we are going into the season with this current roster. And that sucks.

Yes because as we know pitchers and catchers report next week :rolleyes:

malcontent
12-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Nothing done before the Winter Meetings - check.
Nothing done at the Winter Meetings - check.
Nothing done before January 1st -
Nothing done before Spring Training -
Nothing done during Spring Training -

To be revisited....
Some of those Arizona nursing home nurses can be pretty hot.

Maybe Ole Walt has been up to something after all.

izzy's dad
12-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Yes because as we know pitchers and catchers report next week :rolleyes:

I get the sarcasm, but in the years that Walt has been here has he made any move to improve the club? None other than Chapman, and Rolen. We were exposed in the playoffs in 2010, and all of last season. Meanwhile our front office did NOTHING to make this team better. Nothing was done last off season/ trade deadline, and nothing so far this off season. It is all too familiar. I don't know why my "hunch" was worth your little roll of the eyes emoticon. If Walt does do something I will gladly eat crow, but I just don't see it happening. So roll your eyes if you want, I will have the same opinion until Walt changes it for me.

texasdave
12-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Since the 2009 July trading deadline these are the deals made by Walt. (Source is baseball-reference.com)

8/14/2009 Alex Gonzalez plus cash for Kris Negron.
2/1/2010 Willy Taveras and Adam Rosales for Aaron Miles.
8/9/2010 Chris Dickerson for Jim Edmonds.
9/13/2010 PTBNL or Cash for Willie Bloomquist.
7/24/2011 Steven Jackson for PTBNL.
8/26/2011 Jonny Gomes for Bill Rhinehart and Chris Manno.

Since the 2009 July trade deadline Walt has brought in via trade to plug obvious holes the following: Kris Negron, Aaron Miles, Jim Edmonds, Willie Bloomquist, a PTBNL, Bill Rhinehart and Chris Manno.

texasdave
12-11-2011, 11:29 AM
A source tells Cafardo that Cody Ross is seeking a three-year deal worth about $6MM annually.

Cody won't be a Red.

LegallyMinded
12-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Cody won't be a Red.

I don't know, three year deals that grossly overpay players seem to be a Reds specialty: just look at Bronson Arroyo's extension and the Eric Milton contract.

On a more serious note, the Braves may be hanging on (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/cafardos-latest-red-sox-jurrjens-drew-ross.html) to Jair Jurrjens. Could be a blessing for the Reds if it stops Jocketty from trading Alonso for him.

TuneSquad
12-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I know that we haven't done anything for the 2012 season yet in terms of trades or pickups that actually give us a plus on the Major League club, but i think everyone needs to be patient. We have to remember that it isn't even 2012 yet. There is still plenty time for trades etc. If Walt makes an Alonso for Shields type of trade in the next week is everyone gonna be saying we didn't do anything? Give it time, and be patient. If it comes to ST and we still haven't made a deal, I will be more than disappointed just like everyone else. Until then, give it time and well see what Walt does.

nux fan
12-11-2011, 01:49 PM
yes lets be patient and wait till 2025 for "walt" to develop a pulse

texasdave
12-11-2011, 04:37 PM
I know that we haven't done anything for the 2012 season yet in terms of trades or pickups that actually give us a plus on the Major League club, but i think everyone needs to be patient. We have to remember that it isn't even 2012 yet.

Exactly. All the good players haven't been signed/traded for yet. Once that happens Walt is going to be right on top of things; ready, willing and able to obtain the cream of the crap. :)

nux fan
12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
yes walt is ready to pounce on arturo de frietas and rafeal santo domingo dont youthink??

texasdave
12-13-2011, 11:24 AM
The Reds tendered contracts to all six arbitration-eligible players. Jose Arredondo, Homer Bailey, Bill Bray, Paul Janish, Nick Masset and Edinson Volquez fell into that category.

Walt must be exhausted. Expect nothing else to be done until 2012.

I was wrong. Walt still working those phones hard. Should we expect a Dmitri Young signing here any day now?

texasdave
12-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Here we go. (Bud Lite owes me a six-pack for that plug) Andrew Brackman. And a roster spot. I am gonna posit that
Dontrelle adds more value to his team than Brackman does. Brackman can't find home plate with a compass and a sleigh pulled by reindeer. (Trying to work the Christmas theme into it)
All that being said, I am hoping that AB regains his velocity, his control and ends up solidifying the pen.

R_Webb18
12-13-2011, 02:35 PM
i cant wait until the season starts going be epic

texasdave
12-13-2011, 06:25 PM
The Twins are the front-runner for Willingham, Rosenthal tweets. The Reds are not involved, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Of course they're not. We didn't need John Fay to confirm the obvious.

The DARK
12-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Looks to me like a depth signing more than anything else. Louisville is hurting for pitching, and maybe he'll put up a few good numbers if he figures something out (he's got the stuff for it).

texasdave
12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
From MLBTRADERUMORS.COM

Jocketty says his pursuit of starting pitching has been "very frustrating" and he's not close on anything. The Reds have been linked in rumors to Gio Gonzalez and Jair Jurrjens in recent weeks.
Surprise!

The Reds have made some progress on an extension for Brandon Phillips.

One thing about Walt, he is always making progress.

Jocketty has contacted the agents for recently non-tendered players Joe Saunders and Ryan Theriot.
Joe Saunders. No, thanks. This team already has enough Joe Saunders-types.

And the Reds also have some interest in Michael Cuddyer depending on his asking price.
We already know, whatever it is, that it will be too high.

They won't be submitting a bid on Yu Darvish.
And the rest of MLB thanks him for not slowing down the process.

HalMorrisRules
12-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Joe Saunders. No, thanks. This team already has enough Joe Saunders-types.

Couldnt disagree more strongly.

Here are the WAR numbers for our starters last year (min. 10 GS):
Cueto 4.3
Leake 2.1
Bailey 0.7
Wood 0.3
Willis -0.1
Arroyo -0.5
Volquez -1.0

What was Saunders WAR? 2.4. He also threw 212 innings. More than anyone on the Reds' staff last year.

I would take Saunders in a heart beat.

texasdave
12-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Couldnt disagree more strongly.

Here are the WAR numbers for our starters last year (min. 10 GS):
Cueto 4.3
Leake 2.1
Bailey 0.7
Wood 0.3
Willis -0.1
Arroyo -0.5
Volquez -1.0

What was Saunders WAR? 2.4. He also threw 212 innings. More than anyone on the Reds' staff last year.

I would take Saunders in a heart beat.

I suppose it all depends on where you get yours stats. Fangraphs has him as a 1.0 WAR. Among NL pitchers in 2011 he had one of the better BABIP rates at .271. He had one of the better stranded rates at 77.7%. Only four qualified NL starters had an xFIP higher than his 4.38.
I guess what worries me most is that he was non-tendered. Starting pitching is at a premium and the Diamondbacks just let him go. Presumably, they tried to trade him first but found no takers. To me that is telling.

I still think, at the contract he will probably command, that I have to pass on Joe Saunders. It's not like I haven't been wrong on these things before though.

AintlifeGrande
12-14-2011, 04:49 PM
This whole Walt deal about him ''frustrated over lack of moves''is pathetic.There is too much young talent in this organization for him to not make moves.Winning teams take chances.Some work out,some don't.GM's are supposed to try and improve and not sit on their hands.It's so darn hard on us fans to having anything to be excited about going into the season.
We could at least see more young talent having a chance,but grizzled veterans always seem to get the call.It's like our minor's are a graveyard.at least give us something to get excited about.

texasdave
12-14-2011, 05:28 PM
From FayBlog:

Jocketty told Reds employees this week that he expected to have a deal by week’s end — maybe more than one. But he probably would have said the same thing going into the winter meetings.

texasdave
12-14-2011, 06:12 PM
The Cardinals are a "serious entity" in the Beltran talks, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (on Twitter).

The Reds are a "serious entity" in the Theriot talks.

Makes you wanna bang your head against the wall.

texasdave
12-14-2011, 06:18 PM
The Reds have some interest in Cuddyer.

I have some interest in marrying a Kardashian. Neither is going to happen. If the Rockies offered Cuddyer more than the 3-year 25-million dollar contract offer the Twins presented to him, then the Reds are out of the picture. A free-agent tussle amongst the Mariners, the Rockies, the Phillies and the Reds? Sorry, Reds fans.

The Rage
12-14-2011, 08:29 PM
The price is high. The Reds could have Gio/Bailey if they give up Alonso,Grandel,Sappelt and Corc.

The main area of weakness for the Reds is lack of high ceiling pitching prospect. Corc and Stephenson is the best we got and one hasn't even pitched professionally yet.

I doubt the price is going to drop anytime soon.

texasdave
12-14-2011, 09:35 PM
The Orioles and approximately ten other teams have expressed some level of interest in signing Luke Scott, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (on Twitter). The 33-year-old became a free agent Monday night when the Orioles declined to tender him a contract. Scott, who battled a shoulder injury in 2011 and underwent surgery this summer, projected to earn $6MM through arbitration, so GM Dan Duquette let him go. But from 2008-10, Scott averaged 25 home runs and a .266/.348/.497 line, so there's strong interest in the PSI Sports Management client.

You would think one of them would have to be the Reds.

code
12-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else getting really frustrated when they look on MLB Rumors or this website and see nothing happening still. Not even much "talk."

I read MLB rumors every day during lunch from top to bottom and it's getting very annoying not hearing your team's name in anything.

Maybe it's because we didn’t do anything during the trade deadline that is making me upset due to the fact it has been way to long.
/rant end
sorry :)

texasdave
12-15-2011, 05:08 PM
The Reds signed Kanekoa Texeira.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/texeika01.shtml

Walt promised us a pickup this week. And Walt always comes through.

He will be 26 next year. In parts of two major league seasons his peripherals are really, really ugly.

WHIP - 1.685
K/9 - 4.4
BB/9 - 3.7
K/BB - 1.18

His minor league numbers are better. I know, how could they be any worse.

A nice write-up on him: http://riveraveblues.com/2009/02/prospect-profile-kanekoa-texeira-7715/

Texeira is a classic sinker-slider reliever. His best offering is a slider that dives away from righties with hard two-plane break, which explains why they hit just .186 with a 2.38 GB/FB rate off him in 2008. His fastball generally sits in the 89-91 mph range, although he can hump it up to 93 if he puts everything into it. Texeira is most effective in the upper 80′s, when he gets the most movement out of his heater. The White Sox had him work on a changeup earlier in his career, but it’s nothing more than a show-me pitch. He does an excellent job of keeping the ball in the park, allowing just three homers total in the last three years.

dMaus14
12-15-2011, 07:16 PM
I read on twitter that the A's asked for Alonso, one of their catching prospects plus more. I think that's kind of ridiculous for someone who has 2 years of good numbers and is going from one of the most pitcher friendly parks to one of most hitter friendliest parks. I'll be honest he would be my 4-5 pitcher I would want.

texasdave
12-16-2011, 01:18 AM
The Gio Gonzalez trade rumors have been vast and varied so far this offseason. Here's the latest on the A's left-hander from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com:The Mets and Mariners are now among the teams in on Gonzalez, a source tells Rosenthal (Twitter link), while the Marlins, Reds, Red Sox and Rangers remain in the mix.

The latest on Gio. Reds still mentioned. His lifetime home/away splits. I think in GABP he is mediocre. Just say no.

Split ERA GS IP H HR BB SO WHIP SO/9 SO/BB
Home 3.56 45 273.0 235 29 135 252 1.355 8.3 1.87
Away 4.32 44 262.1 256 26 129 259 1.468 8.9 2.01

Krawhitham
12-16-2011, 02:56 AM
This whole Walt deal about him ''frustrated over lack of moves''is pathetic.There is too much young talent in this organization for him to not make moves.Winning teams take chances.Some work out,some don't.GM's are supposed to try and improve and not sit on their hands.It's so darn hard on us fans to having anything to be excited about going into the season.
We could at least see more young talent having a chance,but grizzled veterans always seem to get the call.It's like our minor's are a graveyard.at least give us something to get excited about.

Walt's problem is that he overvalues the young talent in this organization. He feels the other GM are trying to screw him over

JeremiahHorsley
12-16-2011, 03:14 AM
Walt's problem is that he overvalues the young talent in this organization. He feels the other GM are trying to screw him over

Isn't that the idea tho? I mean when you make a trade you dont want to give up too much in return. The idea is to make a deal where its dead even or come out the winner in the trade. GMs are trying to get the better end of the deal. If your on the bad end of the deal, you lost. Who wants to lose lol

powersackers
12-16-2011, 03:40 AM
The latest on Gio. Reds still mentioned. His lifetime home/away splits. I think in GABP he is mediocre. Just say no.

Split ERA GS IP H HR BB SO WHIP SO/9 SO/BB
Home 3.56 45 273.0 235 29 135 252 1.355 8.3 1.87
Away 4.32 44 262.1 256 26 129 259 1.468 8.9 2.01

I think those are pretty good road splits. Would win quite a few games. Our defense is much better than Oaklands IMHO. 26 HR in 262 innings. I love that stat actually, much better than our starters home or away I would guess.

LegallyMinded
12-16-2011, 10:45 AM
I think those are pretty good road splits. Would win quite a few games. Our defense is much better than Oaklands IMHO. 26 HR in 262 innings. I love that stat actually, much better than our starters home or away I would guess.

The Red's defense is almost certainly better than Oakland's (43.8 team UZR for the Reds, -22.1 for for the A's last year), but I'd still be concerned about Gio's fielding independent stats. His away FIP last year was right at 4.0, which is decent, but not necessarily the kind of front of the line starter the Reds seem to need.

Beyond that, with so many teams in the mix for him, I'm beginning to doubt the asking price for Gio will fall to a more reasonable level. It might be for the best if the Reds can't make a deal for him.

texasdave
12-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd continued a busy offseason today by making his biggest move yet. The Rockies have agreed to sign Michael Cuddyer to a three-year, $31.5MM deal.

If Cuddyer was on anyone's wish list, cross him off.

powersackers
12-16-2011, 02:51 PM
If Cuddyer was on anyone's wish list, cross him off.

Crossed off. He got his 10M per year after all.

texasdave
12-16-2011, 03:53 PM
With all these outfielders flying off the shelf it is getting to the point where they won't be able to trade Yonder. There will be no LFers left out there to pick up to fill the void.

texasdave
12-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Is it wrong to have the mindset that if the Reds are in on a player and there is just one other team mentioned, that the other team is gonna end up with the player?

Ohayou
12-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Gio Gonzalez, Mat Latos and Jair Jurrjens are among the pitchers on the Reds' wish list, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter links). Latos may be available in the right deal, Gonzalez could be had, but Oakland's asking price is high and Jurrjens also appears to be available. GM Walt Jocketty recently told Rosenthal that he's looking aggressively at ways of improving his team's pitching staff, despite the high asking prices sellers are setting for available arms.

Matt Garza, who could earn a salary approaching $9MM through arbitration, is too expensive for Jocketty's liking and John Danks is less appealing than some alternatives, as he's under team control for just one season, Rosenthal writes. James Shields appears to be out of the reach for every team, including the Reds, and Jocketty is aiming to obtain a better pitcher than Wade Davis.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/reds-eyeing-gonzalez-latos-jurrjens.html

rolenmvp
12-17-2011, 03:24 AM
Ken rosenthal wrote that jocketty is high on danks and quentin from whitesox!

dMaus14
12-17-2011, 03:48 AM
That is the one pitcher that I thought we should have been going after from the get go and try and extend him!

juvey21
12-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Ken Rosenthal is saying one of his sources is reporting Reds acquire Latos for Alonso and others per twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal

texasdave
12-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Even after trading for Mat Latos, Reds GM Walt Jocketty still plans on using Aroldis Chapman as a starter, tweets John Fay of the Cincinnatti Enquirer. Jocketty did leave room for a change of heart, however, noting that things could change later on.

texasdave
12-18-2011, 06:06 PM
I am sitting here eating a medium-sized plate of crow and, you know something, it doesn't taste all that bad. The thought of Mat Latos toeing the rubber in a Reds' uniform is easy on the tongue. Congrats, Walt. I wouldn't mind some crow pie for dessert. So make it happen, Mr. Jocketty.

texasdave
12-19-2011, 10:41 AM
The Diamondbacks have signed outfielder Jason Kubel, tweets Tom Krasovic. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports confirms the agreement, which is for two years with an option. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports says the deal is worth $15MM. Kubel is represented by Wasserman Media Group.

Cross Jason Kubel off the Christmas list. It ain't happening.

Ohayou
12-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Dude sucks anyways.

Tadasimha
12-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Cross Jason Kubel off the Christmas list. It ain't happening.

Glad to hear it - his defense wasn't worth the effort and we didn't neet another left handed bat as is.

This may mean that Heisey is going to get his chance to be the everyday guy in left. I like Heisey a lot, but I'd also like to see the Reds make a move for Cody Ross.

texasdave
12-19-2011, 06:55 PM
If this snippet (courtesy Ken Rosenthal via mlbtraderumors) has any validity, then Santa isn't sliding down the GABP smokestacks with a bag filled with Carlos Beltran any time soon.

It appears that Beltran will sign for $12-12.5MM per season on a two or three-year deal, Rosenthal notes.

texasdave
12-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Cody Ross ain't looking too promising either. From Fayblog:

The Reds have also talked about Cody Ross, whose numbers were similar to Kubel’s.
“We haven’t talked money,” Jocketty said. “But if he looking for something similar to Kubel, he’s out of our price range.”

texasdave
12-19-2011, 06:59 PM
As far as a closer, Jocketty said the Reds continue to talk to Francisco Cordero’s agent.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

PS I never realized that Francisco Cordero's agent could close. :laugh:

texasdave
12-19-2011, 07:01 PM
After the Mat Latos deal, Jocketty sounded like the Reds were close to another deal.
“There’s still a chance but it’s taking longer than I than I thought,” he said.

Come on, bringinpain2384, get the scoop.

Incidentally, why does it take so long to consummate a trade? We, Sundeckers, can whip 3 or 4 out in about 15 minutes. Some of us could probably turn over the entire roster in about two hours if given half a chance.

texasdave
12-19-2011, 11:38 PM
The Reds acquired Mat Latos over the weekend, but they continue to search for a closer and a left fielder, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports. GM Walt Jocketty explained that he expects to add an arm before he adds a bat."First, we'll address the bullpen a little bit," he said. "Once I get pitching done and know what we have left to spend, we'll know more about left field."The Reds have resumed talks with free agent closer Francisco Cordero, though Jocketty says nothing is close. Free agent outfielder Cody Ross is still "part of the mix" and the Reds were in touch with his agent last week. The Reds had some interest in Jason Kubel before he agreed to a two-year, $15MM deal with the Diamondbacks. "The level money-wise, we weren't going to get to that level," Jocketty said.

Memo to Jonny Gomes. Keep that cell phone charged. You never know.

malcontent
12-20-2011, 09:59 AM
I thought we were all in for 2012?

Come on, Walt. Prove it to us.

Get Cordero and Cody Ross to put us over the top!

malcontent
12-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Memo to Jonny Gomes. Keep that cell phone charged. You never know.
Could be. And Mohawk already knows the drill. Reds don't talk money with your agent.

Just check the night stand after Walt leaves in the morning.

texasdave
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Could be. And Mohawk already knows the drill. Reds don't talk money with your agent.

Just check the night stand after Walt leaves in the morning.

It really confuses me when Walt says he has had talks with a player/agent but they haven't discussed money. I mean, honestly, what else is there to discuss?

Walt: Hi, how's it going?
FA Closer: Okay, umm, you?
Walt: Can't complain. So do you like playing baseball?
FA Closer: Sure. It's great.
Walt: You like being a closer?
FA Closer: Yeah, I like it a lot.
Walt: Wanna close for the Reds?
FA Closer: Maybe. I'll keep you guys in mind.
Walt: Awesome, thanks. Bye.
FA Closer: Bye.

texasdave
12-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Closer: Ryan Madson. A $44 million deal that would have kept Madson in Philadelphia for four more seasons fell through in early November. There's no way he'll get that kind of contract now that the teams most desperate for closers have them. Madson is 31 and has only saved more than 10 games in a season once, but over the past three years he has posted a 4.00 K/BB ratio to go with a 147 ERA+ and excelled in his postseason exposure, posting a 2.42 ERA, 12.5 K/9 and 3.4 K/BB in 22 games.

Best fit: Reds. Aroldis Chapman would seem like the obvious choice to replace free agent closer Francisco Cordero (who is still available, as well), but the Reds have said they are going to stretch Chapman out as a starter in spring training. Chapman seems like a long-shot for the rotation, but he could set-up Madson, or vice versa.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/cliff_corcoran/12/20/beset.pitchers.available/index.html#ixzz1h7Qf7l1M

HalKing
12-20-2011, 07:53 PM
I think the most realistic potential move out there right now is Walt bringing home yet another ex-cardinal, Rick Ankiel. I think Walt is laying low until a few more more desirable types sign elsewhere and then he'll low-ball Ankiel, possibly even with a minor league deal. And for what its worth, I think he'd be a decent signing. He plays plus defense, hits from the left side so he's be a good platoon match for Heisey, and has good power. If Rick Ankiel got enough AB's playing in Great American Bandbox he'd easily approach 20 homers.

Hondo
12-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I think the most realistic potential move out there right now is Walt bringing home yet another ex-cardinal, Rick Ankiel. I think Walt is laying low until a few more more desirable types sign elsewhere and then he'll low-ball Ankiel, possibly even with a minor league deal. And for what its worth, I think he'd be a decent signing. He plays plus defense, hits from the left side so he's be a good platoon match for Heisey, and has good power. If Rick Ankiel got enough AB's playing in Great American Bandbox he'd easily approach 20 homers.

I would be cool with Rick Ankiel... Might be a 30 HR guy playing Left at GAB. I don't think he gets even 4 Million tp play because of his injuries, but a incentive laden deal could work for both parties.

LegallyMinded
12-20-2011, 10:36 PM

Based on last year's stats, Ankiel basically looks like Heisey with less power:

Name AVG OBP SLG
Chris Heisey .254 .309 .487
Rick Ankiel .239 .296 .363

Fangraphs does give Ankiel an edge on defense, though, and while Ankiel's .669 OPS against left handers is hardly stellar, it beats Heisey's .548. All in all, a minor league deal for Ankiel might be worth investigating.

Hillsdale87
12-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Reds talking to the Cubs about Marshall? I'm not sure I want to give up Wood for a 1 year set up guy though.

The Reds, continuing their search for bullpen help, are talking to the Cubs about a trade for left-hander Sean Marshall, according to major-league sources.

The Cubs are targeting left-hander Travis Wood, a pitcher who intrigued team president Theo Epstein last season when Epstein was GM of the Red Sox, sources say.

Eric the Red
12-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Reds talking to the Cubs about Marshall? I'm not sure I want to give up Wood for a 1 year set up guy though.

Marshall's price tag would of 3.1 million for 2012 would hinder Walt's ability to sign a higher priced FA. That said, he would be a welcome addition to the pen and would likely be a type B free agent after the season, meaning that if the Reds offered arbitration, they would receive a compensation pick I believe unless the new CBA is structured differently.

AWA85
12-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Marshall has been great the past two years and would be a huge addition to the pen. Seems like the Reds aren't as high on Wood as many of us (including myself).

ALL IN FOR THIS YEAR!

texasdave
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
According to Bruce Levine of ESPN, the Cincinnati Reds are poised to hand over southpaw starter Travis Wood and two minor league pitchers to the Chicago Cubs for reliever Sean Marshall.

texasdave
12-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Faytweet:

has Sean marshall ever closed?//I'm hearing that the plan is not him to close

I would extrapolate that if the Reds are not planning on him closing, they are planning on him being on the team.

texasdave
12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
The White Sox agreed to a five-year, $65MM extension with John Danks, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter).

Hondo
12-22-2011, 09:53 PM
I sure hope the Reds are in on another Closer and use Marshall as a Set-Up man... I want a LOCKED DOWN 8th-9th INNING...

Say NO to Cordero... His STATS were good, but you have all seen him and he has lost some ZIP and Velocity on his Fast Ball, so let him go to some other team...

texasdave
12-22-2011, 10:57 PM
The Nationals were the winners of the Gio Gonzalez sweepstakes, acquiring the left-hander from the A's today for a package of four well-regarded prospects: A.J. Cole, Tom Milone, Derek Norris and Brad Peacock.

Didn't all the self-acclaimed experts say the Reds lost the Latos deal?

powersackers
12-23-2011, 03:21 PM
What are these rumors I'm reading in posts on the ORG about Brandon Phillips and a multiteam deal? Any news or link available to read?

jhu1321
12-23-2011, 03:27 PM
What are these rumors I'm reading in posts on the ORG about Brandon Phillips and a multiteam deal? Any news or link available to read?

Don't see anything mentioning that?

izzy's dad
12-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Don't see anything mentioning that?

I don't either.

powersackers
12-23-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't either.

Ah, sorry it's a post in the Sun Deck.... "Sappelt to Cubs" thread posted at noon today by someone who has a "source" in the front office.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93273

texasdave
01-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Coco Crisp won’t be on the open market much longer. The free agent outfielder has decided which team he’ll sign with, agent Steve Comte told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle."Basically, we just have to let that team know," Comte told Slusser

Is this the first installment of a double shot of Coco?

nux fan
01-02-2012, 10:14 PM
he is useless another baker/jocketty retread

bounty37h
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Is this the first installment of a double shot of Coco?

No to Coco Crisp, his bad attitude makes teams soggy.

malcontent
01-03-2012, 06:00 PM
he is useless another baker/jocketty retread
0.314 OBP last year (0.330 career OBP).

Sugar in the gas tank: Toothpick will lead him off every game he can.

All in for 2012!

texasdave
01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
The A's have agreed to sign Coco Crisp to a two-year, $14MM deal that includes a club option for 2014, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. The news ends 24 hours of rumors and speculation about Crisp's destination. He decided to return to Oakland yesterday, despite interest from the Orioles, Cubs, Cardinals and many other teams.

2 years, 14 million! :eek:

Billy Beane - Super Genius!

malcontent
01-03-2012, 11:27 PM
2 years, 14 million! :eek:

Billy Beane - Super Genius!

My Gawd, what an awful deal.

Unless he has to triple what the offer should be to get anybody to sign with Oakland, that is.

At least he kept Jocketty from making another huge mistake.

texasdave
01-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Multiple teams remain interested in signing free agent closer Francisco Cordero and agent Bean Stringfellow is discussing multiyear deals at least one of them, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports. The Reds remain interested, but Cincinnati GM Walt Jocketty says he isn’t prepared to guarantee more than one year."We're looking at one year or one year with an option," Jocketty said. "That's all it could be, right now."

Reds are offering one year. Coco, please take the multiyear deal.

However, his average fastball velocity dropped to 93 mph and peripheral stats such as xFIP (4.14) and SIERA (3.91) suggest his 2.45 ERA may be artificially low.

I don't want this to be verified at the Reds' expense.

texasdave
01-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Since Oakland is in (continuous) rebuild mode why would they waste 14 million on Coco Crisp? Save your money and instead of selling Jai Miller to the Orioles, stick him out in CF and see if you have anything there.

Ohayou
01-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Bean Stringfellow...

:lol:

texasdave
01-04-2012, 02:08 AM
One MLB executive suggested to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that the Cubs and Blue Jays may prefer to pass on Prince Fielder, since Joey Votto projects to hit free agency two years from now when both Chicago and Toronto could have stronger teams.

Ouch.

dMaus14
01-04-2012, 04:52 AM
Ouch.

Like that wasn't obvious! Not to mention the Cardinals will have Beltran and Berkman off the payroll. Dodgers and Mets should be out of financial downfall! Seattle again could be looking to make a splash; Texas would be interested; Youkilis and Ortiz will be gone from BoSox; Konerko will be gone from ChiSox; Washington might be the in on Fielder but if they miss they will be in the position to go after him because Harper will be up and all their arms will be primed! If he doesn't sign an extension by the all-star break there is no chance he stays.

I like the trades we have made to try and win now but I would have preferred to trade Votto this offseason and fill other holes with his return and financial ability. I think we still could have won the division without Votto but I am glad to see they are being proactive with him!

texasdave
01-04-2012, 05:30 PM
According to writer Kevin Goldstein, the Reds have signed P.J. Phillps - younger brother of Brandon.P.J. Phillips (.254/.297/.389) has never made it past A-ball in six seasons in the Angels farm system. He was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2005 MLB June Amateur Draft.

jhu1321
01-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Maybe that is part of BP's extension! :laugh:

Red Raindog
01-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Maybe that is part of BP's extension! :laugh:

If that works I'll drink to it!

:beerme:

Ohayou
01-05-2012, 02:09 AM
The Reds are looking for depth in left field, and though they maintain some interest in Cody Ross, they haven't had discussions about Johnny Damon, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. GM Walt Jocketty acknowledged interest in Rick Ankiel and Ryan Ludwick, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. The agent for Kosuke Fukudome called the team as well.

Left fielder Chris Heisey hit 18 homers and posted a .797 OPS in 2011, but the Reds have just four outfielders on their 40-man roster and will likely add depth before Opening Day. They traded outfield options Yonder Alonso and Dave Sappelt in recent deals for pitching.

The Mets and Nationals have been linked to Ankiel this offseason, while the Athletics and Giants have been linked to Ludwick. This is the first we've heard of Fukudome since the regular season ended.

:barf:

texasdave
01-05-2012, 02:36 AM
:barf:

:barf: :barf: :barf: Seems like that would be a case of spending money just to spend money. Got to get that Veteran Creaminess on board though.

Combined 2010-2011 WAR:

NAME PA WAR
HEISEY 534 3.2
LUDWICK 1111 2.3
ANKIEL 554 1.9

LegallyMinded
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
:barf: :barf: :barf: Seems like that would be a case of spending money just to spend money. Got to get that Veteran Creaminess on board though.

Combined 2010-2011 WAR:

NAME PA WAR
HEISEY 534 3.2
LUDWICK 1111 2.3
ANKIEL 554 1.9

It's somewhat slim consolation, but here are their wOBAs vs. Left-Handed pitching over the last two years:

Ludwick: .297
Ankiel: .247
Heisey: .245

As long as they're looking at Ludwick as a potential platoon partner for Heisey, he might not be a disastrous acquisition.

jhu1321
01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I like the idea of adding Ludwig. Could put up some nice numbers in GABP and would add a veteran presence to our young outfielders. IMO he has far more potential upside that Cody Ross or Ankiel.

LeDoux
01-06-2012, 02:57 AM
It's somewhat slim consolation, but here are their wOBAs vs. Left-Handed pitching over the last two years:

Ludwick: .297
Ankiel: .247
Heisey: .245

As long as they're looking at Ludwick as a potential platoon partner for Heisey, he might not be a disastrous acquisition.

I'm not sure Dusty is the platooning type. If Gomes' use is any indication, the vet will play the bulk of games- vs RHP or LHP.

texasdave
01-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Brandon Webb started throwing again in late December and his arm is “strong and loose,” according to his agent. Webb signed with the Rangers last offseason, but didn't pitch at the Major League level and underwent right shoulder surgery in the summer. He hasn't appeared in an MLB game since April of 2009

Reds should kick the tires on this guy.

RedsfaninMT
01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Reds should kick the tires on this guy.

No thanks.

But I will be thrilled if mlbtraderumors is right about the Reds being in serious contract talks with Ryan Madson.

texasdave
01-10-2012, 07:50 PM
No thanks.

But I will be thrilled if mlbtraderumors is right about the Reds being in serious contract talks with Ryan Madson.

I can see your point. You certainly don't want to have a pitcher who won the Cy Young Award and finished second twice AND has the 11th best ERA+ of all time in your organization. Not to mention that he is an extreme ground balls, which always plays well in GABP, and is a semi-local product. Not with all the excellent starting pitching the Reds currently possess (last in the league in 2011 for starting pitching).

More than likely he is going to get a minimal salary loaded with incentives. If he doesn't pan out a team isn't going to be out much money.

Is he a risk? Yes. Is he an acceptable risk? Absolutely.

RedsfaninMT
01-10-2012, 10:04 PM
I can see your point. You certainly don't want to have a pitcher who won the Cy Young Award and finished second twice AND has the 11th best ERA+ of all time in your organization. Not to mention that he is an extreme ground balls, which always plays well in GABP, and is a semi-local product. Not with all the excellent starting pitching the Reds currently possess (last in the league in 2011 for starting pitching).

More than likely he is going to get a minimal salary loaded with incentives. If he doesn't pan out a team isn't going to be out much money.

Barry Zito won a Cy Young. I am sure he can be had for nothing.

Sorry, not trying to a smart aleack. I loved Webb, but he is done.

texasdave
01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Barry Zito won a Cy Young. I am sure he can be had for nothing.

Sorry, not trying to a smart aleack. I loved Webb, but he is done.

Of course, nobody mentioned acquiring Barry Zito either. And Barry Zito not being able to pitch effectively has zero relevance when discussing Brandon Webb. So bringing him up is rather pointless.

All you are really saying is that he is done without offering up any evidence to substantiate that.

Here is from MLBTR:

Brandon pitched for the first time competitively (in 17 months) in September and October in three instructional games. The first game, Webb threw 80% and was 78-80 mph. The second game Webb was closer to 90% and was 81-83, and the third game, Webb, still laying back a bit, was 81-85. The reality is that Brandon showed good pitchability (he had strong movement on his signature sinker, plus plus change, and plus breaking ball). What he also had was some rust on location. Brandon's velocity is of very little concern to those that watch a lot of games. His arm strength is indeed coming back, and honestly, he pitched at 87-90 all of 2008 (when he won 22 games) and that is only 2-5 mph off where he was in October. Brandon's surgeon, Dr. Keith Meister, fully expects him to prepare at a normal pace to be ready when camp opens in February, for whomever signs him. Brandon is hungry, excited, and ready to start 30 plus times in 2011. There is nothing to indicate he won't, with all the work he has put in and his consistent offseason workout program.

Also frm MLBTR:

The Dodgers, Pirates, Twins, and Rangers are interested in free agent righty Brandon Webb, tweets ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. He adds that we should not rule out the Nationals, Reds, and Cardinals.

Seems like some people in baseball think he can still pitch.

LeDoux
01-11-2012, 02:52 AM
I would like to see Webb given a shot. I would think as an Ashland, KY native he would strogly consider the Reds as possible "rehab team" if the money is similiar.

sdwagers
01-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Jon Heyman tweeting that the Reds are still looking for an INF and OF. He says they are "in" on Theriot with the Rays and Astros, and that Ludwick makes sense for the Reds

goreds2
01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
I was not sure where to post this but Clubhouse Confidential is about the Reds team tonight.

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/shows/?id=25775158

Old NDN
01-11-2012, 10:06 PM

I'm with you on this, Dave. I mentioned in an earlier thread that he would at least, be worth taking a look. He's a semi-local guy (both home and college), which may or may not help in signing him. But, if he checks out, offer him a low-risk deal w/incentives. With all the upgrades the Reds have made, it might just be attractive to him.

Eric the Red
01-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Of course, nobody mentioned acquiring Barry Zito either. And Barry Zito not being able to pitch effectively has zero relevance when discussing Brandon Webb. So bringing him up is rather pointless.

All you are really saying is that he is done without offering up any evidence to substantiate that.

Here is from MLBTR:

Also frm MLBTR:

Seems like some people in baseball think he can still pitch.

These quotes from MLBTR are from last offseason. That said, if a minor league deal with a spring training invite gets it done, bring him on. No way I'd give him a major league deal. Texas wasted $3 million on him last offseason.

texasdave
01-12-2012, 01:30 AM
These quotes from MLBTR are from last offseason. That said, if a minor league deal with a spring training invite gets it done, bring him on. No way I'd give him a major league deal. Texas wasted $3 million on him last offseason.

My bad. Note to self: Always look at the dates on the articles.

foamy2001
01-13-2012, 02:15 AM
I think Webb would be an interesting gamble, but with the "all-in" mentality the organization has taken for the 2012 year... not sure he fits in.

texasdave
01-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Before re-signing with the Cubs, Kerry Wood agreed to a deal with another club and was preparing for his physical when the Cubs swooped in according to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago. Levine hears that the Reds were most interested in Wood before he re-signed with Chicago, but it's unclear if they're the team he had the agreement with.

From MLBTR. Interesting.

nmculbreth
01-15-2012, 06:11 PM
From MLBTR. Interesting.

It would certainly make sense.

I'm guessing that Kerry Wood was Walt's contingency plan if the deal for Madson didn't materialize and may explain why the deal for Madson came together so quickly.

texasdave
01-17-2012, 03:27 AM
The Reds may have made all of their significant offseason moves now that they have agreed to terms with Dioner Navarro and Ryan Ludwick. Here are some details on the team via Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

GM Walt Jocketty said he signed Navarro “purely for depth” at Triple-A.
Jocketty doesn’t expect to sign Dmitri Young, the former Reds outfielder/first baseman who is looking to make a comeback at age 38 after losing 70 pounds. The Reds are looking to see what some of their younger players can do in Spring Training.
Before agreeing to terms with Ludwick, Jocketty said Rick Ankiel was in the mix for an outfield job with the club, according to Groeschen.
The Reds are “working on” a deal with Jose Arredondo, Jocketty said. The first-time arbitration eligible right-hander appears to be nearing a two-year contract with the club.

texasdave
01-17-2012, 03:27 AM
The Reds may have made all of their significant offseason moves now that they have agreed to terms with Dioner Navarro and Ryan Ludwick. Here are some details on the team via Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

GM Walt Jocketty said he signed Navarro “purely for depth” at Triple-A.
Jocketty doesn’t expect to sign Dmitri Young, the former Reds outfielder/first baseman who is looking to make a comeback at age 38 after losing 70 pounds. The Reds are looking to see what some of their younger players can do in Spring Training.
Before agreeing to terms with Ludwick, Jocketty said Rick Ankiel was in the mix for an outfield job with the club, according to Groeschen.
The Reds are “working on” a deal with Jose Arredondo, Jocketty said. The first-time arbitration eligible right-hander appears to be nearing a two-year contract with the club.

If the Navarro and Ludwick signings were the other shoe everyone was waiting for Walt to drop this week, color me blah.

BEETTLEBUG
01-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Well let's get Keppinger for couple mil and be finished.

And still have a few mil for later.

Ok Ok Ok go with Frazier then,save the extra money till half way thru Spring Training then get someone if needed.

dubc47834
01-17-2012, 02:47 PM
If I was Walt I would just hold on to the extra money and see what he can come up with at the trade deadline. No use in spending it just to spend it.

:beerme:

BEETTLEBUG
01-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Kool that is true.

texasdave
01-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Reds reliever Bill Bray announced that his agents at Octagon finished his deal.

RedsfaninMT
01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
If the Navarro and Ludwick signings were the other shoe everyone was waiting for Walt to drop this week, color me blah.

Agreed...more like a baby's sock dropped.

texasdave
01-18-2012, 03:27 AM
The Reds avoided arbitration by signing the following players to 1-year contracts through the 2012 season today
* RHP Homer Bailey (9-7, 4.43 ERA in 2011)
* LHP Bill Bray (5-3, 2.98 ERA)
* IF Paul Janish (.214 BA, .259 OBP, .262 SLG)

Relievers Jose Arredondo and Nick Masset are the only remaining Reds players eligible for arbitration.

Rumor has it they are working on a two-year deal with Arredondo.

Regarding a report from CBSSports.com that pitcher Jose Arredondo is about to sign a two-year deal, Jocketty said:
“We’re still working on it. We’re trying to do that if we can. We have to file our arbitration numbers tomorrow.”

So that would only leave Masset. Walt is tying up the loose ends. I wonder where the Phillips' contract extension stands?

texasdave
01-18-2012, 03:37 AM
I found this Jocketty quote to be curious. It was made before the signing of Ludwick. At the time the Reds only had Heisey, Stubbs and Bruce as certain 25-man roster outfield certainties.

Jocketty said former Reds OF/INF Dmitri Young, who hope to make a comeback at age 38, probably will not be signed to a minor league deal.
”I don’t think so. I talked to Dmitri about it. We have a large number of players coming to training camp, and it takes away playing time from some of our younger guys.”

So many outfield bodies (a sum total of three) that they couldn't take a look at Da Meat Hook? And, aside from possibly Phipps, who are all these young outfield prospects that Young would be stealing valuable Spring Training time from?

Reds
01-18-2012, 05:11 AM
We talking about Webb still? I love the idea, but without seeing a session or two I haven't a clue if he's still got anything. At this point his agent made the only comment on his behalf I think, saying he's strong. Jeff Francis is someone who is available if we want a starter who yields ground balls. Lefty too. File this under useless information.

As far as the quote above I don't get it either. Maybe Walt was putting the cart ahead of the horse, assuming he was signing someone, anyone, and that they would be there come camp time. Basically, you're too old.

Good for Dmitri though. Last I heard I think he was busted on drug charges.. maybe the weight loss solution he was looking for? ;) but good luck to him, he was my favorite player on many of our reds teams, minus larkin.

DGullett35
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
I was thinking we would sign Theriot but after reading these comments it looks like were done spending. Frazier or Janish for the 25th spot on the roster. id go with Frazier. guy can play multiple positions other than SS.

texasdave
01-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Fred Lewis finds a home, signing with that other team from Ohio. From MLBTR: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Indians announced that they signed outfielder Fred Lewis to a minor league deal that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training. Lewis has a track record of success against left-handed pitching (.780 career OPS), so he could prove useful in the Indians' lefty-heavy lineup.Lewis posted a .230/.321/.317 line in 210 plate appearances last year, but he spent time on the disabled list with a strained right oblique muscle. The 31-year-old played both corner outfield positions for the Reds, who signed him for $900K. Lewis elected free agency in the fall after the Reds outrighted him off of their roster.

texasdave
01-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Man I wish Toronto would hurry up and sign Prince Fielder.

WildcatFan
01-19-2012, 04:52 PM
I was thinking we would sign Theriot but after reading these comments it looks like were done spending. Frazier or Janish for the 25th spot on the roster. id go with Frazier. guy can play multiple positions other than SS.

Janish has also played 2B and 3B when Phillips and Rolen have gone down, and he's shown that if nothing else, he can pick it. He seems like the kind of player you want in that final spot.

Plus, he's your emergency long man!

IamRV
01-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Janish should be kept 100 miles from Cincinnati - in Louisville. If Cozart is injured and must miss two or more games, bring him up and live with his good glove - no bat qualities. If Cozart just has to leave a game or miss a game then stick Frazier or Cairo in his spot. Chances are the better bat will offset the average fielding for that short time.

There is no upside to keeping him on the bench daily compared to their other options.

Reds
01-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Jeff Francis is someone who is available if we want a starter who yields ground balls. Lefty too. File this under useless information.

Rumor has it we're keeping an eye on Francis. Could someone explain why to me?

Alpha Zero
01-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Rumor has it we're keeping an eye on Francis. Could someone explain why to me?

Behind Cueto, Latos, Leake, Bailey, Arroyo, and Chapman (a huge wild card), the Reds don't have many advanced pitching prospects who can provide depth. Sam Lecure, Matt Klinker, and Sean Gallagher may well be the next three guys on the depth chart. That's not a very exciting group.

Francis has had a couple decent years in the past and could be cheap insurance if he'll take a minor league deal. I wouldn't bother getting worked up over it. If he signs, it'll be purely a depth move.

UPRedsFan
01-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Janish should be kept 100 miles from Cincinnati - in Louisville. If Cozart is injured and must miss two or more games, bring him up and live with his good glove - no bat qualities. If Cozart just has to leave a game or miss a game then stick Frazier or Cairo in his spot. Chances are the better bat will offset the average fielding for that short time.

There is no upside to keeping him on the bench daily compared to their other options.

Absolutely disagree! Janish is a valuable asset. I want him on the roster to make game saving defensive plays in the late innings. Frazier hasn't shown enough ability to hit at this level to award him the 25th spot. Keep him in Lou until an outfielder or infielder gets hurt.

Alpha Zero
01-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Absolutely disagree! Janish is a valuable asset. I want him on the roster to make game saving defensive plays in the late innings. Frazier hasn't shown enough ability to hit at this level to award him the 25th spot. Keep him in Lou until an outfielder or infielder gets hurt.

Cozart is maybe just a tick below Janish in terms of defensive ability. No reason to waste a roster spot on a defensive backup for a guy who is a very capable defender himself.

IamRV
01-20-2012, 10:37 PM
I want him (Janish) on the roster to make game saving defensive plays in the late innings...

In place of who?

He's a complete waste as a PH. I would much rather run Arroyo or Leake out there to PH. Frazier is much more valuable on a day to day basis.

texasdave
01-24-2012, 04:45 AM
The Rays reportedly have interest in Edgar Renteria for a bench spot.

MLBTR reports that ex-Red Edgar Renteria may land in Tampa.

alett12
01-25-2012, 03:53 PM
In place of who?

He's a complete waste as a PH. I would much rather run Arroyo or Leake out there to PH. Frazier is much more valuable on a day to day basis.

I agree completely, Frazier is not only a better hitter but his versitility would make him much more valuable.

Old NDN
01-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Looks like the Reds have traded for Wilson Valdez (MLBTR). Is he any better than Janish? His stats are not impressive.

gedred69
01-25-2012, 05:27 PM
I agree completely, Frazier is not only a better hitter but his versitility would make him much more valuable.

Frazier is the guy for his bat by a huge margin. When it comes to versatility though, Janish can virtually play anywhere, including as mop-up pitcher, which he has actually done!

alett12
01-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Frazier is the guy for his bat by a huge margin. When it comes to versatility though, Janish can virtually play anywhere, including as mop-up pitcher, which he has actually done!

janish plays 4 spots including mop up duty, Frazier on the other hand played 6 positions(1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF,RF), 7 counting DHing on off days, last season in louisville and at all times he has 6 gloves in his locker. I see frazier as more versital than janish as well as having a better bat while i will give janish an edge with the glove.

brand.chips
01-28-2012, 12:47 AM
http://www.webcam-steamate.com/cookies/35/b/happy.gif

Well, the thing about these trade rumors is that they are just that, rumors,
some of which make sense and some of which sound rather far-fetched.

The Pirates are said to be dangling pitchers such as Mark Redman, Kip Wells,
Josh Fogg and Ian Snell as trade bait and are looking for help at 3B, LF and RF.
So naturally, rumors will fly - the Reds would seem to have a spare outfielder
or two to deal, and are in need of pitching help. DanO has come right out and
said he's willing to deal with a team in the Reds' division, but are the other
teams in the division willing to deal with division rivals?

Another rumor has Kearns or Pena going to the Cardinals - but I don't see the
Cardinals trading away pitching after their pursuit of A.J. Burnett - they seem
to be looking to add a starter, not deal one. And again, are the Cardinals
willing to deal with another team in their own division, even if the Reds are?

One statement DanO made that I found interesting was this:

"I don't think you can focus on the outfield situation, because at this point
there are a number of different avenues with our position players that are
available to us," O'Brien said. "It's basically a matter of looking at what
would bring us the best possible package of talent in return. Whether or not
that involves an outfielder remains to be seen. ... Sometimes you've got to have
flexibility in considering moving people around the diamond to different
positions."

texasdave
01-28-2012, 01:11 AM
I feel like I am in a time warp.

texasdave
01-31-2012, 05:25 AM
Once again from MLBTR:

Reds GM Walt Jocketty said he hopes to lock Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips up long-term, even though doing so would require major commitments, MLB.com youth correspondent Meggie Zahneis reports. "Everyone has to understand that these are expensive deals and there is only so much we can do," Jocketty said. An extension for Votto would likely require one of the largest deals in MLB history.

Hell just might freeze over if this happens.

texasdave
01-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Scott Kazmir intends to pitch in 2012, but his fastball velocity is in the 84-85 mph range. The 28-year-old appeared in one game for the Angels last year and they released him after a rough stretch at Triple-A.

MLBTR.

Might want to cross Scott Kazmir and his mid-80s fastball off the list.

jinknunonoi
01-31-2012, 11:57 PM
http://www.webcam-steamate.com/cookies/37/b/happy.gif

My best estimate has the Reds almost $2M in payroll above where they were last season. A $5M increase over 2011 gives the Reds about $3M left to work with. Based on how much of Ryan Madson's contract counts toward the 2012 budget, they could have several million more. It's still probably not enough to sign Roy Oswalt without clearing out a little salary by trade.

texasdave
02-01-2012, 02:50 AM
According to this article the Reds were in discussions to send Ryan Hanigan to Tampa and would have received Seth Smith from the Rockies.

http://yossif.mlblogs.com/ You have to scroll down a little to get to the article.

Interestingly, Hanigan was almost dealt to the Rays earlier this offseason. According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the Rays discussed trading for Seth Smith (who was on the Colorado Rockies then) and then sending him to Cincinnati in exchange for Hanigan.

alett12
02-03-2012, 01:24 PM
That could've been bad except they could've brought in Pudge to work with Mesoraco then.

DGullett35
02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Those talks were probably before Hernandez had signed elsewhere. Im sure if we traded Hanigan that we would have tried to keep Razor.

arrow.fletcher
02-04-2012, 12:08 AM

Columbus Dispatch — DALLAS (AP) -- Texas Rangers outfielder and recovering drug addict Josh Hamilton says he had a relapse and had "three or four" drinks earlier this week. Hamilton spoke today, confirming a report that he drank alcohol at a Dallas-area bar on Monday night. He said it was a "weak moment" and "it was just wrong."

hanley.manor
02-07-2012, 12:19 AM

My best estimate has the Reds almost $2M in payroll above where they were last season. A $5M increase over 2011 gives the Reds about $3M left to work with. Based on how much of Ryan Madson's contract counts toward the 2012 budget, they could have several million more. It's still probably not enough to sign Roy Oswalt without clearing out a little salary by trade.

Despite Walt Jocketty declaring that the team is "pretty tapped out" in terms of payroll, Oswalt's people have talked to the Reds on some level (according to John Fay). It's a move I suspect "Win Now Walt" would like to make. All of the eggs for improving the rotation are currently in the Latos basket and the starting pitching depth, especially if you include departures by Maloney and Thompson, has shrunk to essentially Aroldis Chapman. Can we call him a starter yet?

alett12
02-07-2012, 09:53 AM
The way I feel about calling chapman a starter is when he develops a change up we can call him a starter until that time he belongs in the pen.

brad1176
02-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm not really sure that Chapman will ever be a starting pitcher at the MLB level.

Ohayou
02-09-2012, 03:11 AM
The Cardinals are waiting to see if Roy Oswalt will sign on their terms and at their price, ESPN.com's Buster Olney writes.

alett12
02-09-2012, 03:04 PM
that's nothing new

texasdave
02-09-2012, 05:53 PM
If Ryan Ludwick set out to win over Reds fans, he's likely batting 1.000 after Cincinnati formally announced his signing. "People might find it hard to believe," he said. "But this the most excited I've been in my career." ... On playing in Petco: "Playing in San Diego screwed me up. I'm not using that as an excuse or a crutch, but it turned me into a dead pull hitter. I got away from what I was as a hitter." (Over 160 games in San Diego, Ludwick hit .228/.301/.358). On playing at Great American Ball Park (where he has hit .276/.321/.600 with six home runs and 21 RBI in 105 at-bats): "Great American has one of the fairest right-centers in baseball. It fits my swing perfectly."

Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/323317-ludwick-san-diego-screwed-me-up?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a9#ixzz1lvLsdUMC

lidspinner
02-09-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm not really sure that Chapman will ever be a starting pitcher at the MLB level.

I'm not really sure where you got that "thought"....

alett12
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I really don't care what Ludwick says there I want to see Chris Heisey out there for 600 ABs

Ohayou
02-10-2012, 07:35 PM
ESPN.com's Jayson Stark says Roy Oswalt is not going to sign with the Rangers or Phillies. The right-hander could end up in Boston, where he doesn't seem to want to play, or with the Cardinals, who are interested if Oswalt agrees to their terms.

[deleted]
02-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Oswalt in St. Louis seems inevitable at this point. Shame.

Tuff Nut
02-10-2012, 10:47 PM
;2534977']Oswalt in St. Louis seems inevitable at this point. Shame.
QFT.........would much rather see him in Cincy red.

texasdave
02-11-2012, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Beantown. The Evil Empire stocked up on pitching; the Red Sox almost have to follow suit.

swaisuc
02-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Beantown. The Evil Empire stocked up on pitching; the Red Sox almost have to follow suit.

I could see them wanting him, but I don't think thats a great fit. He probably wouldn't handle the added pressure all that well and I'm not sure how much he'd like DH'ng. Adrian G isn't going anywhere and he's definitely better defensively.

jhu1321
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I could see them wanting him, but I don't think thats a great fit. He probably wouldn't handle the added pressure all that well and I'm not sure how much he'd like DH'ng. Adrian G isn't going anywhere and he's definitely better defensively.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't run Oswalt out there at DH.:lol:

bigredmechanism
02-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Francisco & Bailey to Blue Jays for prospects and Thames. Oswalt to be signed.

Keep in mind this guy hasn't ever been right about anything, AFAIK.

nate1213
02-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Keep in mind this guy hasn't ever been right about anything, AFAIK.

He was right about Cozart being called up and he called a big trade was on the way a few days before the Latos deal.

The Rage
02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
He was right about Cozart being called up and he called a big trade was on the way a few days before the Latos deal.

But he failed last July. The "trade" makes little sense. Oswalt is damaged goods as well.

swaisuc
02-14-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't run Oswalt out there at DH.:lol:

whoa, I got my threads crossed or something there haha. Thanks. :beerme:

texasdave
02-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Four years later, the Chicago White Sox finally signed Kosuke Fukudome - and for a fraction of the price he cost the Cubs.The outfielder agreed Tuesday to a one-year contract that guarantees $1 million. He will get a $500,000 salary this year, and the White Sox have a $3.5 million option for 2013 with a $500,000 buyout.

Fukudome signs for a half million for 2012 (with a half a million dollar buyout and a team option for 2013). He had a thoroughly regrettable 2011. But that still seems awfully cheap. If he bounces back at all the Chisox got quite a bargain. He is staying in the Windy City - with the Southsiders - so that could well have been a determining factor. Still, half a million for 2012?

malcontent
02-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Fukudome signs for a half million for 2012 (with a half a million dollar buyout and a team option for 2013). He had a thoroughly regrettable 2011. But that still seems awfully cheap. If he bounces back at all the Chisox got quite a bargain. He is staying in the Windy City - with the Southsiders - so that could well have been a determining factor. Still, half a million for 2012?
Yeah, that's a good deal for the Pale Hose.

I wanted to see WJ snag him. LH bat, decent OBP, good defender. And I'm still trying to understand Ludwick's (moderate) reverse splits.

All I've got is, since he's a southpaw, maybe he feels like a LHH.

texasdave
02-15-2012, 07:04 PM
The Reds assigned Carlos Fisher to Triple-A after he cleared waivers, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports. The right-hander, who was designated for assignment last week, receives an invitation to Major League Spring Training.

Nice guy to have stashed at AAA.

texasdave
02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
It has been awfully quiet on the Roy Oswalt front.

Red Raindog
02-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Yes -- he must think he's in an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Red Raindog
02-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah, that's a good deal for the Pale Hose.

I wanted to see WJ snag him. LH bat, decent OBP, good defender. And I'm still trying to understand Ludwick's (moderate) reverse splits.

All I've got is, since he's a southpaw, maybe he feels like a LHH.

+1 --- At the time I doubted he would sign for that amount of money but I would have preferred him as the other option in the OF.

Old NDN
02-17-2012, 10:59 AM

I'm starting to wonder if Oswalt doesn't get his asking price, if he may go the Pedro Martinez approach and wait until mid-season to fleece some desperate team. If no takers, then just stay home with the kids.

Big Red Hoss
02-17-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Oswalt doesn't get his asking price, if he may go the Pedro Martinez approach and wait until mid-season to fleece some desperate team. If no takers, then just stay home with the kids.

I think he will lower his price and sign somewhere next week. Its just a matter of who is luckiest to get the first call that says we will take less. Hopefully its Cinci. Ceuto Latos Oswalt Leake and Tomko. Its a dream rotation.

Dead Red
02-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I think Oswalt's physical problems have made teams very leery of signing him. The Rangers seem to be the best situation for him. Personally, I'm glad the reds have not made any great effort to pursue him.

texasdave
02-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Da Meat Hook is still available. If they are bringing back Tomko, why not?

The Pirates and Phillies both passed on signing Dmitri Young after working him out in Florida this months, reports MLB.com's Matthew Leach. Even if Young's baseball comeback falls short, he says the real victory is his improved health, having lost over 70 pounds.

texasdave
02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
MLBTraderumors ranks Jeff Francis as the best minor league signing of the offseason.

Jeff Francis, Reds. I ranked Francis 32nd on my top 50 free agents list, ahead of Chris Capuano, Freddy Garcia, Aaron Harang, Jason Marquis, Bruce Chen, and Chien-Ming Wang. Three of those pitchers received two-year deals, yet Francis didn't get a roster spot. He was a bigger health risk a year ago, when he received $2MM guaranteed from the Royals. Francis and his wife reside in Denver, so it doesn't appear to be a hometown decision. The Reds' rotation isn't full of openings, either, making Francis' minor league deal a mystery.

RedsfaninMT
02-21-2012, 09:59 PM
MLBTraderumors ranks Jeff Francis as the best minor league signing of the offseason.

Doesn't Francis have an opt out clause by a certain date? Would love to have him in AAA as insurance for sure, but if there is an escape clause, I would not be surprised to see him go. We seem a bit thin in AAA starters.

texasdave
03-01-2012, 04:21 AM
The Reds are a sleeper team for 2012, one scout told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (Twitter link).

Huh? Does anyone out there think the Reds aren't going to be a serious playoff contender this season?

Red Raindog
03-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Huh? Does anyone out there think the Reds aren't going to be a serious playoff contender this season?

They are a sleeper pick for the Rip Van Winkle crowd.

Jamz
03-01-2012, 10:58 AM

St. Louis fans?

But seriously, there was a journalist recently that pegged the Reds to win the World Series. I don't see how we can be a 'sleeper.'

Cincyfan1009
03-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I dont know about the world series, I HOPE THOUGH, but i definitely dont think that the playoffs are anywhere near out of the question. With our bullpen, and our hitting, and Cueto and Latos, we could be lights out in the division. We have the best FBaseman in the division, and 2 of the top starters in the Majors, AND.... AROLDIS! If jay and bronson do good and maybe acquire a SS then we could easily win the division. I am just spitballin here though!

DGullett35
03-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Why do you think we should aquire a SS. IMO Cozart is going to have a solid season. He has all the tools to be just as good as Castro in the Central. Heck he could possibly be the best SS in the division.

texasdave
03-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Reading an article about Cespedes when I came across this. Not good news as far as Jeff Francis is concerned. Maybe the pitcher's are all going through the dreaded dead-arm phase of spring training. But 84 on the fastball? Fingers crossed.

However, after taking a few radar gun readings for Francis, I’m left wondering just how much Cespedes adjustments were true hit ability, or a guy realizing a pitcher simply does not have the fastball to keep him honest in the batter’s box. In Francis’ case, his changeup at 79-80 MPH, along with a fastball clocked a few times in the 84 MPH range was not enough to keep Cespedes from sitting off-speed and fighting off fastballs – if needed.

texasdave
03-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Travis Wood pitched today for the Cubs. He faced eight batters and retired just one. Ugly.

1/3IP 3H 6R 5ER 2BB 1K 1HBP

texasdave
03-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Meantime, the Royals were working to obtain another catcher to join Brayan Pena, who was Perez's backup."It's going to be pretty important," manager Ned Yost said.
"There's not another Sal out there that you can get -- there's just not. The next-best thing is any semblance of a guy that can catch and throw and can hit a little bit, [which] can cost you young prospects, and we don't want to do that. So you either get a guy that can hit like a son of a gun and can't catch or you get a guy that can catch like a son of a gun and is at least a good situational hitter and [can] mix in a few hits. I'd rather go that route

Dioner Navarro come on down!!

PS This is the youngster that the Royals extended for five years just recently.

texasdave
03-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Blast from the past: Return of 'Fear the Ears'!

The Marlins are providing an opportunity, and so far, veteran Austin Kearns is taking advantage of it.A non-roster invitee, Kearns is competing for an extra outfield spot, as well as a right-handed bat off the bench. Aaron Rowand is in a similar situation as a right-handed hitter trying to win a spot on the roster.Kearns has been productive in his early chances, going 6-for-15 (.400) with two home runs and four RBIs.

Old NDN
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Phillips for Hamels rumor. I heard Mo Egger mention it on the drive home yesterday. ORG has a thread going. Interesting.

jhu1321
03-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Phillips for Hamels rumor. I heard Mo Egger mention it on the drive home yesterday. ORG has a thread going. Interesting.

In a heartbeat.

Don't see it happening.

brad1176
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
In a heartbeat.

Don't see it happening.

Yep, I wouldn't even blink at that one.

It won't go down though, too many questions about who would replace BP this season. Do we really want Valdez or Harris manning 2nd?

Assembly Hall
03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
I make that deal.........

Tuff Nut
03-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Yep, I wouldn't even blink at that one.

It won't go down though, too many questions about who would replace BP this season. Do we really want Valdez or Harris manning 2nd?
Why not Frazier at 2nd? Just asking....as for the deal, I love me some BP, but pitching is where it's at.

texasdave
03-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Just got off of the Better Off Red blog and was suprised to learn that the Reds employ a pitching coach, an assistant pitching coach and TWO bullpen coaches. That seems excessive to me.

texasdave
03-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Good article by Hal McCoy. It starts off slowly with the usual ST stats don't mean anything nonsense (Ask Janish or Harris or Francis or Valdez or Frazier or Jones or any of the minor leaguers try to make a good impression if they mean anything. Ask Bronson Arroyo. He seems to think they do. They man not mean what you want them to mean but they do have meaning. Why do they have radar guns in ST if they don't mean anything? I assure you that in picking squads managers look at the numbers for at least the last few positions. A wise man once said ST numbers don't mean anything until they do.) but picks up nicely in the second half of the article.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/index.html

texasdave
03-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Rumor over on the big boy board has Heisey, potentially, being shopped for a quality reliever. Not that I have a problem with that. But where is the money gonna come from? He would have to be a quality reliever that makes nearly the same as Heisey. Peanuts.

Unless we can somehow throw Bronson into the deal. <impish grin>

Ohayou
03-26-2012, 09:30 PM
That's not a rumor, just more hogwash - like the BP/Hamels swap. It's best not to get people's hopes up.

Old NDN
03-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Is Arthur Rhodes still available?

malcontent
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I see Mitch Stetter just got released.

Sidearm LOOGY. Only 31.

Would look good in red.

jhu1321
03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Bullpen is still stacked. Cant see them shopping our every-other-day left fielder when we have internal options in the pen.:beerme: